Author Topic: '03 Stone Gas Cap DOA  (Read 4131 times)

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
'03 Stone Gas Cap DOA
« on: July 14, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »
I recently acquired an '03 Stone Hydro, and set about yesterday to removing the gas cap and do the Dremel trick to remove some material and prevent it from swelling and getting stuck. Well guess what, it's already stuck, on my first attempt to remove it. I've tried using WD-40, following some You Tube video ideas that didn't work, etc. I've worked on it for 2 days, and if I could just get the key to turn one time, I could take it and fix it. Having had a Jackal in the past, I know the procedure.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get the cap off? I've searched here and found plenty of posts about fixing the cap if it's off, but nothing on removing one already stuck. And if not, will drilling or punching out the lock release the mechanism inside so that I can get it off? I hate to do that, but if it's my only option, new locking caps without the plastic parts are available. :cry:
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: '03 Stone Gas Cap DOA
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »
Can't you just take the screws out of the ring, or am I thinking of something else?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
My 98’s stuck recently. I kept putting kroil in and around the cap. Finally got it opened.  I think in the key slot it’s going to get into the sticky areas. It’s “ the oil that creeps” they say.  Worked for me
1994 California 1100

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »
I second the use of Kroil.  Worked on mine.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 07:06:14 PM »
Just ordered a can of Kroil, sure hope it works. I wish they sold it in something smaller than a 10 oz can, but I'll probably find more uses for it over time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll solve the stuck cap problem!
Thanks.  :thumb:
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »
Just ordered a can of Kroil, sure hope it works. I wish they sold it in something smaller than a 10 oz can, but I'll probably find more uses for it over time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll solve the stuck cap problem!
Thanks.  :thumb:

Oh, you will.. Kroil is great. But.. isn't Wayne right about taking the ring off? <scratching head>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »
Oh, you will.. Kroil is great. But.. isn't Wayne right about taking the ring off? <scratching head>

I'm not certain about removing the ring. Several sources I found said that the screws easily fell into the tank, and I'm also unsure about what is on the other side of the ring. Even if I removed it, would the cap not still be stuck, due to the ethanol-swollen plastic?
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Mark Twain

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 06:21:25 AM »
I'm not certain about removing the ring. Several sources I found said that the screws easily fell into the tank, and I'm also unsure about what is on the other side of the ring. Even if I removed it, would the cap not still be stuck, due to the ethanol-swollen plastic?

Memory is a funny thing when you're old.. :rolleyes:  but its seems to me that there are cast in nuts in the tank. Once you have the whole assembly out, you can knock out the pin and disassemble the lock. (I think?) <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 07:29:31 AM »
Maybe not for their particular situation but I had a cap get stuck on a 03 EV. After I got it to finally unlock and removed it and got everything loosened up from that point on every couple weeks I would coat the key with good machine oil and run it and out of the gas cap and switch. I do that with every bike I owned for several years now and never had another issue. 

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 07:31:02 AM »
I just looked at my Stones gas cap and I think the whole thing comes off with the five screws like Wayne says.  Chuck's memory seems good this morning as the cap has a small pin holding the guts of the cap together.  There is a shield extending into the tank to prevent over filling which, may be close to interfering with the pin removal.  But that shield may release with the removal of the whole assembly. I can't see how you could drop the screws into the tank.  I can't see how loose nuts could be used either, on the inside of the tank.   Mike

Offline nsmith

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »
take out the tank screws, now you can spray whatever you like directly on the offending parts. I don't think you can disassemble the lock until you get the cap away from the locking ring but at least you can lube the lock much easier.
Neil formally from South Dakota now living it up in Arkansas

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »
take out the tank screws, now you can spray whatever you like directly on the offending parts. I don't think you can disassemble the lock until you get the cap away from the locking ring but at least you can lube the lock much easier.

Thanks, that's what I was just thinking. I don't doubt that the cap will remain stuck in the ring, but if I can lubricate both sides maybe I can at least get the cap out so I can disassemble it and file down the swollen plastic.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Mark Twain

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
Turns out that in addition to the 5 screws, the ring is also held in place by the cap itself. So, it is loosened and able to spin, but can't be removed while the cap is in place, and that's still not willing to budge.

Back to waiting for the Kroil to arrive...
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Mark Twain

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »
Turns out that in addition to the 5 screws, the ring is also held in place by the cap itself. So, it is loosened and able to spin, but can't be removed while the cap is in place, and that's still not willing to budge.

Dang. Hoped that helped. Maybe at least with the ring off you can get some lube down in around it.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
Cap was stuck on my '02 CalStone when I bought it.  I fired some brake or carb cleaner from an aerosol down into the keyhole, holding a towel around it to protect the paint.  After the cleaner stopped coming out gritty and black, I dried it out with a couple quick shots from the air compressor (again with the towel) and used a bit of Kroil in the keyhole as others have mentioned.  Voila!  No doubt you remember the key turns counter-clockwise.  :wink:
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 01:04:46 PM »

<scratching head> Man, that just doesn't sound right.. you'd think the cap and ring assembly would be removable from the tank itself..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
The 5 screws hold the ring to the tank, but the cap goes thru the ring, and its locking mechanism inside the tank is holding everything together. If the cap is locked into the tank, nothing can be removed.  :undecided:
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Mark Twain

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
He lost the run of himself.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »
Best penetrating oil is ATF and Acetone mix:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/make-your-own-kick-ass-penetrating-oil-1739690558

It's *the* best for rust, but not necessarily best for corrosion.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
The 5 screws hold the ring to the tank, but the cap goes thru the ring, and its locking mechanism inside the tank is holding everything together. If the cap is locked into the tank, nothing can be removed.  :undecided:
It just doesn't make sense. (of course it's Guzzi we are talking about :smiley: but still..) If I were designing a tank to be molded, I'd cast the nuts in place, and the ring would hold the cap. The locking gizmo (technical term) on the cap shouldn't be locking on the plastic tank..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
The locking gizmo (technical term) on the cap shouldn't be locking on the plastic tank..
Chuck your fingers  may have been faster than your memory, at least on  My wife’s 03 -04 Stone the tank is metal, not plastic.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
Looking closer at my Stone the ring with five screws is more trim than function.  The inside part where the cap keys into position looks to have another set of screws that holds that part to the tank.  And it looks like the cap and trim ring must be removed to get to them.  So the keys shoulder looks like it goes into the tumbler far enough that some pressure can applied to turn it once the lube loosens it a bit.  More of pain than it should be for sure.  Sure glad I trimmed my cap up years ago.    Mike

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »
Chuck your fingers  may have been faster than your memory, at least on  My wife’s 03 -04 Stone the tank is metal, not plastic.

Ahhhh.. my bad. I don't know why I was thinking plastic tank..  :rolleyes: Thanks for setting me straight. <head down and shuffling off..>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
When you finally get that POS off, beat it with a sledge hammer until you can't lift it any more.
Then contact member swbrenton, he made me a beautiful cap w/o the lock.
Never had a bit of trouble with it.

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
When you finally get that POS off, beat it with a sledge hammer until you can't lift it any more.
Then contact member swbrenton, he made me a beautiful cap w/o the lock.
Never had a bit of trouble with it.

That's what my plan is if I can't soon get the thing off. A 3 lb. hand sledge should work great!
And I remember those caps, they were beautiful, but I'd like a lock though, if it wasn't plastic.

I may just spring for one of these, from MG Cycle.
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=286&products_id=2254
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:38:38 PM by NC Steve »
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Mark Twain

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 06:44:03 PM »
That looks like the EV one. I did the grinding down thing, worked OK for awhile. But then acted up again.
I don't have my bike out of my sight much, and almost always a tank bag covering it.
Maybe you should ask others if they have used that cap?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »

2004 EV
Take out the screws, pry off the ring, and the locked cap comes off with it. You can then do surgery on it.

The ring IS a tight fit against the paint lined hole, so it will not just flop out.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
BTW, the gasket for the tank ring is ridiculously expensive. Be careful with it.

Rich A

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »
When you finally get it apart~ just dremel the bottom coil off the big spring. Worked like a charm; takes couple minutes!!

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »
Finally got the gas cap off! A member here recognized my discussion of the problem, and it turns out he was a prior owner of this Stone. The key slot was not exactly at the 12 & 6 position, more 12.5 and 6.5. When the key was turned clockwise until it stopped, at 12.5, it became very stuck, although it had only happened to him a couple times and he was able to get the cap unlocked with enough wiggling. He told me a few tricks to try, but unfortunately none of them helped, and I was also unable to pry the ring and cap off in one piece. As a last ditch idea, I finally inserted the tip of a small screwdriver into the key slot and gave it a few gentle twists counterclockwise, and something finally went click. I was then able to get the key back in and with a little more wiggling the cap came off, unlocked.

This being a somewhat unique situation, I'm not sure filing or using a Dremel on the plastic lock mechanism of the lock will help, but if that doesn't solve the problem on a permanent basis, I may still get a new cap from MG Cycle. They sell brand new ones with 2 keys for less than the used ones I've found on Ebay.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Mark Twain

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here