Author Topic: V7 Classic with Lario heads  (Read 140534 times)

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V7 Classic with Lario heads
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »
Piece of cake.. not to worry..  ;D

Yeah, I know she's gonna run good.  Got with Ed Milich.  I will have a tensioner here tomorrow! 
As long as the Postal service does its job, that bike will be running tomorrow night!!

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
Yee Hah!!  Can you ride it or just start it?  Not sure where you live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
Yee Hah!!  Can you ride it or just start it?  Not sure where you live.

Oh, I'm going to ride it!  Tomorrow in central Oklahoma is clear and 26 degrees.  Think I'll put on my snowmobile suit and go break the ton....just so I know she can represent...LOL
I'll take off work early if I can...

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
You've got to be going stir crazy being within arms reach. It's been a heck of a build and a long time coming. I know the feeling...

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
No packages today...checked tracking on it...looks like it will be tomorrow...USPS overnight delivery means something different to the postal service than it does to me I guess!!  Sheesh...

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
Drats!  Another day of waiting.  Sorry man.   :pop
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »
Drats!  Another day of waiting.  Sorry man.   :pop

Yeah, I think stuff like that happens for a reason.  Today was in the 20's, tomorrow supposed to be 50's.  A much better day for a test ride!

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
You're going to be about 70 degrees warmer than Michigan tomorrow. I don't feel sorry for you anymore. ;)
I've got the itch big to get on mine.

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
You're going to be about 70 degrees warmer than Michigan tomorrow. I don't feel sorry for you anymore. ;)
I've got the itch big to get on mine.

Yeah, I bet the UP is pretty chilly now too!!  Funny, just checked the tracking, the Priority Express mail in the fine print says 1 to 3 days delivery.  It's scheduled for Friday delivery.  I think I'll bust ass at work tomorrow, and take Friday afternoon off.  Man, I am pumped to get that bike started!!
I have been thinking about the next iteration of this build.  I really just wanted to see if the Imola II heads would work with some porting etc...I think I will ride this bike all summer, then next winter put a set of actual Lario heads on it.  Lighten up the valve train with some titanium pushrods and valve keepers.  Also do a big bore kit, get some bigger pistons in there.  Whew man, that would be a runner...lol.  Also use the dual valve springs and get the rpms up around 8500, maybe a cam....anyway.  This stuff goes through my head while I'm waiting on parts...
Cheers!

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »
You a lawyer of a doctor??  Just kidding. I understand the disease as I had the works done... except big bore kit. Mine feels nothing like the stock bike... a medium block version is more like it. It's perfect for what my expectations were. All around, the bike exceeded my expectations for its handling and stability. It's remarkable really.
I hope you find this new engine a little more intoxicating as I expect. The 4 valve heads want to keep marching unlike the 2 valves.
Best.

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »
One other thing; I think it's smart you live with it for a season like you said. You will get a better idea of what your wants and needs are. You'll know how much lightening you want to do. It will be interesting with FI to see what affect that has. The gearing on the V7's is nice that it's geared lower than the Lario and that, I feel, is a good help for things. More like the V65 gearing I now have. I think you're set for a good time.

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
One other thing; I think it's smart you live with it for a season like you said. You will get a better idea of what your wants and needs are. You'll know how much lightening you want to do. It will be interesting with FI to see what affect that has. The gearing on the V7's is nice that it's geared lower than the Lario and that, I feel, is a good help for things. More like the V65 gearing I now have. I think you're set for a good time.

Is it the rear differential that's lower geared? If so, I changed that a while back! LOL  I think I put in an 8/31 set of gears in the rear drive.  I did it so that when I was accelerating I had a couple of seconds more in first gear before having to shift.  It worked really well.  The bike is also happier at highway speeds now.  Before the change it seemed like I was always wrapped up, or lugging it down on the highway.  No it hits the sweet spot, about 5000 rpm, right around the speed limit.  Hmmm...I need to dig into Guzziology and compare some gear ratios. Day after tomorrow man....!!!

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #282 on: February 19, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
Sounds like you're going to be just fine. Ed changed put the primary gear from the larios to the V65's. There's about an 8% difference in lower gearing. Easier to keep the revs up now.

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #283 on: February 19, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
Whew Man!!  I know!  I want to hear her fire up!  I will film it...post it up....hope she doesn't blow!!  Lol

The *only* thing I'd be concerned about is the brake cylinder hone job..  ;D I'd have gone to a machine shop and done it on a Sunnen hone. That said, it Shirley won't fail immediately.  :o ;D :BEER:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #284 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
The *only* thing I'd be concerned about is the brake cylinder hone job..  ;D I'd have gone to a machine shop and done it on a Sunnen hone. That said, it Shirley won't fail immediately.  :o ;D :BEER:
Stop calling me Shirley!  LOL
Yes, I got it to go from a 2lb hammer interference fit to a rubber mallet interference fit.  If that makes sense LOL.
I'm not sure why Guzzi chose an interference fit on the Pistons for these bikes.  I suppose it's to make sure the wrist pin stays in the same orientation relative to the piston, and the rotation and wear occurs in the rod end bushing?  It went together plenty tight, that's for sure...:)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:05:37 PM by mwrenn »

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »
I heat the piston, push fit. She'll prolly run for a while anyway ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:01:50 PM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
I heat the piston, push fit. She'll prolly run for a while anyway ;D

Yes, I tried heating it, wrist pins in the freezer...man, it was tight!  LOL. I had the wrist pins made by Precision out in North Carolina.  They were right at .0005 inch bigger in diameter than the factory ones....heating usually works great, they were just tight though..lol
Cheers!

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »
Well good to be tight. I'm waiting for the light off and I want to thank you for posting! :pop
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2015, 10:01:39 PM »
Well good to be tight. I'm waiting for the light off and I want to thank you for posting! :pop

Hopefully tomorrow!! Thanks for checking out the build! lol

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #289 on: February 20, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »
Still no parts.  Overnight shipped from California on Tuesday.  Was a guaranteed delivery by today at 3:00 pm.
It did not deliver.  Maybe tomorrow....sheesh!!

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #290 on: February 20, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
More  :pop :pop :pop :pop ;D

Hope it happens soon,  enquiring minds are on edge.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #291 on: February 20, 2015, 06:51:35 PM »
Still no parts.  Overnight shipped from California on Tuesday.  Was a guaranteed delivery by today at 3:00 pm.
It did not deliver.  Maybe tomorrow....sheesh!!

Any inclement weather between where you are (?) and California? That would definitely slow things down...
Charlie

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #292 on: February 20, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
Any inclement weather between where you are (?) and California? That would definitely slow things down...

No, no weather.  Ed got the tensioner sent out about 15 minutes after I contacted him.  He used USPS Priority Express Overnight.  When it didn't arrive today I went by the Post Office, they said it was still in transit, last location was Oklahoma City.  The lady there said they would refund my money for the shipping, I would rather have the part!!  LOL  Anyway, I'm done making predictions based on delivery estimates by the Post Office!  Hoping to get it in the morning.  We will see...

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #293 on: February 20, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
Super bummer. Well, let's hope tomorrow is D-day.

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #294 on: February 21, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
Whoo Hoo!!!  That sums it up!!  Got the replacement tensioner in today.  A quick note,  when disaasembling the front end of a small block Guzzi engine, DO NOT try to move the tensioner plastic out of the way with your thumb.  Just unbolt it and remove it.  Things are a lot better that way.

I installed the tensioner, installed the cover, and torqued on the alternator rotor.  Had to use an oil filter strap wrench to hold the rotor while torquing the nut.  It goes to 360 in/lbs, with locktite 243.

Got it all assembled. Pulled the spark plugs and cranked the engine until the oil pressure light went out.
With a huge thank you to Todd Eagan at GuzziTech, Ed Milich at GuzziPower, and to everyone on this board for their advice and support....I fired her up!!

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #295 on: February 21, 2015, 05:16:28 PM »
Awesome, congratulations!

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #296 on: February 21, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »
OK, now that I have first tracks-

This is right up with Chuck's incredible machine. In many ways this may have been more useful, not many drone mills running around, and I'm going to send this vid to my friend with a V7R, along with a dare..

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #297 on: February 21, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
Awesome, congratulations!

Thanks man!  It was a rush!  I went and rode it...stay tuned... ;D ;D ;D

Frulk

« Reply #298 on: February 21, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »
Ride impression?    :food
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:22:51 PM by Frulk »

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re:
« Reply #299 on: February 21, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
Yay!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here