Author Topic: cardan joint  (Read 654 times)

Online ital4me

• New Egg
cardan joint
« on: November 21, 2022, 12:32:58 PM »
Greetings, it's been awhile. I am bringing my 79 CX100 out of 7 years storage and have a question or two about the cardan joint. The joint feels fine but it doesn't have seals on the needle bearings which surprised me. Is this normal? How is the joint lubricated in situ? Sorry if this is asked a lot but I couldn't figure how to search topics.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: cardan joint
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 01:48:14 PM »
It's oiled by atmospheric pressure, an oil mist from rear drive is to come out of a sliver opening on top edge of the forward pinion bearing travel up shaft & go through the splines inside carrier bearing to splat on the ujoints.
Hope this helps.
If yours is dry, I'd soak it for a day OR take it apart & grease it(good luck). If you pack it full of grease on the outside it will fling off & stick to your boot.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 03:08:44 PM »
 They tended to come with those bearings sealed .  Peter

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 07:07:42 PM »
 Got me thinking if mine still had the rubber in place, so while having a cigar in garage I looked. Yep, even the ones out of the 68 & 69 still had them. LM3 also and it's the original at 50K hard miles. I would'nt think twice about using it if not loose. Run it till you feel vibration.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 07:07:42 PM »

Online ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 06:40:16 AM »
Hey thanks for the replies. It feels tight and I will use it. It appears to have never had seals or was rebuilt without seals, but no evidence that they were ever there. If there were seals wouldn't that prevent a migration oil system from reaching the needles?

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 07:11:27 AM »
Hey thanks for the replies. It feels tight and I will use it. It appears to have never had seals or was rebuilt without seals, but no evidence that they were ever there. If there were seals wouldn't that prevent a migration oil system from reaching the needles?

The swingarm is supposed to be dry where the UJ is turning.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 09:30:12 AM »
Packed w/grease when new, you may be able to shoot some grease back in w/grease needle that pops onto end of gun.
Never had much luck at that but tried.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 10:37:30 PM »
In the old days, some would take off the seals, heat up the joint and put it in a pail of grease and let it cool off. I think the theory was the grease would get into the cross bearings. I never tried it but they said it worked for them.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here