Author Topic: What causes surging? SOLVED  (Read 1359 times)

guido guzzi

What causes surging? SOLVED
« on: June 05, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »
Hello All,
My carbureted 96 Sport 1100 just turned 33,000 miles and has started surging between 3800 and 4000 rpm. I know I should keep the revs over 4K but sometimes it cannot be helped.
Has the stock airbox and not planning to remove it. If it ever did this before it was not nearly as noticeable. Carbs are synched at idle and valves are correctly set to non-US specs (.006 and .008?).
IIRC there's no way to synch carbs at 4000 or so, right? First thought was an air leak creating a lean condition... Any insight appreciated.
John Wendt in Wisconsin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:08:48 AM by guido guzzi »

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: What causes surging?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 09:02:34 AM »
Sync carbs at idle with manometer and idle stop screws.
Sync carbs at 4K with nanometer and throttle cable tension adjuster.

Check for intake air leaks or slow fuel delivery.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Rebochi

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 09:15:29 AM »
  A possible build up of fuel deposits on the emulsion tube and jets, easy to access and clean. Drop the float bowls and have a look.
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

guido guzzi

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 09:21:53 AM »
Sync carbs at idle with manometer and idle stop screws.
Sync carbs at 4K with nanometer and throttle cable tension adjuster.

Check for intake air leaks or slow fuel delivery.

Thank you for the input fellas.  :thumb:
n3303j , sync at 4K with throttle cable free play adjuster?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 09:21:53 AM »

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 09:31:55 AM »
Thank you for the input fellas.  :thumb:
n3303j , sync at 4K with throttle cable free play adjuster?
Not sure how your linkage is set up. But somewhere in there is something that will let you adjust tension on just one or the other carb cables. Systems aren't perfect so manufacturers install adjustment points so they don't have to be.
Make sure both cables have a bit of slack at idle position.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:57:18 AM by n3303j »
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 11:50:49 AM »
I would look for an air leak first. If you haven’t changed any intake components or taken the carbs off I would not make any mechanical adjustments as nothing should have changed. If you’re 100% sure there are no air leaks and the fuel lines and filters are up to par then you can start making mechanical changes. Put new plugs in it too.

guido guzzi

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 12:25:26 PM »
I would look for an air leak first. If you haven’t changed any intake components or taken the carbs off I would not make any mechanical adjustments as nothing should have changed. If you’re 100% sure there are no air leaks and the fuel lines and filters are up to par then you can start making mechanical changes. Put new plugs in it too.
[/b]

It sat all of last year with tank and carbs drained. Normally I would change the plugs before bringing it out again but have not done that yet... :thumb:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 12:27:49 PM by guido guzzi »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 07:53:42 PM »
[/b]

It sat all of last year with tank and carbs drained. Normally I would change the plugs before bringing it out again but have not done that yet... :thumb:

New plugs and cleaning the timing sensor may not be a bad idea. Hard to imagine they would cause mild surging though.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 09:42:08 PM »
Have you checked the vacuum line from the Digiplex box to the  plastic T and to the carbs ?  I have found both a cracked plastic T and collapsing hoses due to age in the past
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

guido guzzi

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 05:19:55 AM »
Have you checked the vacuum line from the Digiplex box to the  plastic T and to the carbs ?  I have found both a cracked plastic T and collapsing hoses due to age in the past

Vacuum line was replaced a few years ago but it's worth another look.

guido guzzi

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 09:04:40 AM »
New plugs and cleaning the timing sensor may not be a bad idea. Hard to imagine they would cause mild surging though.

Yes, will check the timing sensor and the magnet that's supposed to remove the ferrous bits from the bell housing too. It feels like an ignition 'miss' and there's something about the airbox that causes a flat spot at that RPM range. Thank you everyone for your input. Will buy new plugs and look at these other items when time allows...  :thewife:

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 12:29:10 PM »
The parts book shows cable adjusters at the splitter under the tank. I honestly do not recall that on the carb Sports, but it wouldn't surprise me either. There are many oddities on them so it kinda fits. I am sure that some provision was made for carb synchronization.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 12:31:01 PM »
I’d be pulling the bowels and making sure the jets are clear and the inlet screens are clear of crud. Even empty they can grow things. Check the float needles for sticking. Some needles have an internal spring that can stick.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

guido guzzi

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 12:38:54 PM »
I’d be pulling the bowels and making sure the jets are clear and the inlet screens are clear of crud. Even empty they can grow things. Check the float needles for sticking. Some needles have an internal spring that can stick.

Hoping you meant *bowls* John... :laugh: In that case, it's definitely good advice!

guido guzzi

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 12:42:11 PM »
The parts book shows cable adjusters at the splitter under the tank. I honestly do not recall that on the carb Sports, but it wouldn't surprise me either. There are many oddities on them so it kinda fits. I am sure that some provision was made for carb synchronization.

Brian

Yes, there is some adjustment at the under-tank splitter and also on the carb tops.

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2023, 02:29:13 PM »
Well that then allows synchronization at higher RPM than idle eh? That comment threw me a little knowing that surely some provision was made for synchronization at normal operating speeds as well as at idle! Not necessarily the most convenient spot, though.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

guido guzzi

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 02:44:16 PM »
Not trying to disparage anyone's advice but... The way I understand it, adjustment of throttle cable freeplay is only used to ensure both slides move (as close as possible to) simultaneously when the throttle is twisted - from idle. If one has more freeplay than the other, it will move after the one with less, right?  :undecided:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:13:13 PM by guido guzzi »

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 03:24:57 PM »
Not trying to disparage anyone's advice but... The way I understand it, adjustment of throttle cable freeplay is only used to ensure both slides move (as close as possible to) simultaneously when the throttle is twisted - from idle. If one has more freeplay than the other, it will move after the one with less, right?  :undecided:
Yup, that's synchronization.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 06:50:01 PM »
At idle the throttle stop screws control synchronization,  above idle it is controlled by the cable length adjustment, usually right at the carb top or in some cases just below the throttle grip, early bikes with VHBs etc.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2023, 10:19:20 PM »
Hoping you meant *bowls* John... :laugh: In that case, it's definitely good advice!

I wonder what spell check was thinking  :rolleyes:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 10:26:28 AM »
Do you have Euro jetting in your PHM 40's ?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

guido guzzi

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 10:55:38 AM »

No, it's  based on what Ed Milich (sp?) recommends for the big valve motors. Will have to look it up.
It *seems* like the surge/stumble has gotten worse this year but I haven't changed anything.  :undecided:

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 12:25:26 PM »
Yea, was wondering if it was there before, more like a tuning issue. I had my own set-up for the carbs. Different needle & atomiser but close to Ed's stuff. I must have 200mi on my friends to get this set-up. Open megs for exhaust.
It could be just carbs getting dirty.

guido guzzi

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 06:17:18 PM »

Jetting is as follows:
50/3
K4 clip in the middle

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: What causes surging?Now With Jetting
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 09:58:02 AM »
If that has been working for you keep using it. I looked for my setting and it uses 60/3 slides and a 268 atomizer, K8 needles but it may not be the final set-up. I wrote stuff down as I went along and this was marked in the shop manual.
This was more than 25 yrs ago when bikes were new. I can't remember everything. I cut & ground the idle mix screws to match VHB ones.
I would leave yours alone unless you know how to read plugs & have your throttle marked in quadrants and bottom one split to 1/8 throttle.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2023, 10:58:29 AM »
If that has been working for you keep using it. I looked for my setting and it uses 60/3 slides and a 268 atomizer, K8 needles but it may not be the final set-up. I wrote stuff down as I went along and this was marked in the shop manual.
This was more than 25 yrs ago when bikes were new. I can't remember everything. I cut & ground the idle mix screws to match VHB ones.
I would leave yours alone unless you know how to read plugs & have your throttle marked in quadrants and bottom one split to 1/8 throttle.

Over the years that’s what I generally ended up with as well. K3 needles but iirc they are about the same as K8’s.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2023, 11:58:51 AM »

Over the years that’s what I generally ended up with as well. K3 needles but iirc they are about the same as K8’s.
I thought I ended w/K1's till I saw the note in my manual. It also said 160 mains & that's why it may not be final setting

guido guzzi

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2023, 04:44:38 PM »
Changed plugs and the stumble/surge seemed worse.
Tightened clamps on carb/manifold sleeves and not just a little - no change.
Tomorrow the tank and carbs come off.

guido guzzi

Re: What causes surging? SOLVED
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2023, 06:08:06 AM »
Yesterday morning fresh eyes and ready to dismantle carbs, check for frayed cables, whatever it takes.
Removed tank and carbs come off next. Loosening screws on the left carb top and it hits me: I bet the top of the right carb is loose. BINGO!
It always felt like an air leak because it would happen when revs dropped into 3500-4000 range. Did not occur when accelerating into or through that range because accelerator pumps masked the leak... :embarrassed:

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What causes surging? SOLVED
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2023, 07:23:42 AM »
It’s amazing how things work out if you walk away for awhile.Congratulati ons.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here