Author Topic: Do Not Text and drive  (Read 7749 times)

canuguzzi

Do Not Text and drive
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:22:16 PM »
Beloved Pegaso Cube 650. Texting driver who also likes pill and various liquids. This happen a little while back but why I am getting an Aprilia Mana GT.

canuguzzi

Re: Do Not Text and drive
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »
Notice those chalk writings on the pavement? Moments before, children were sitting there playing and scribbling on the pavement.

The bike was actually 8 feet to the left. The car is the picture is not what pushed the Pegaso, it was some Euro sedan. Hit hard enough to move everything 8'. A few moments earlier and there would have been dead kids.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:40:59 PM »
Stupid sled driver! Glad you're okay--and the children, too.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
did you get that Mana in Mpls listed for $3k? I see the ad is now gone.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
I would have had a very hard time not shoving that cell phone down his or her throat. A 61 year old woman was just hit on a mc by a 21 year old male  cager who crossed the center line and took her out here yesterday. About a half an hour before, I took my daughter on her first ride ever on that very same road. I can almost guarantee he was f***ing around with a god damn cell phone. She is in critical condition, and he'll probably be back texting and driving tomorrow. Pitty the fool who cuts me off f***ing with a cell phone , I have had it with these idiots. I am glad your alright, and I hope you stick it to them as hard as possible.  dave

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »
I would have had a very hard time not shoving that cell phone down his or her throat. A 61 year old woman was just hit on a mc by a 21 year old male  cager who crossed the center line and took her out here yesterday. About a half an hour before, I took my daughter on her first ride ever on that very same road. I can almost guarantee he was f***ing around with a god damn cell phone. She is in critical condition, and he'll probably be back texting and driving tomorrow. Pitty the fool who cuts me off f***ing with a cell phone , I have had it with these idiots. I am glad your alright, and I hope you stick it to them as hard as possible.  dave

You have to understand that people's time is VERY important, and they HAVE to use the time that they are driving (which is otherwise wasted) to talk and text to OTHER people whose time is very important.

Constant use of cell phones is a social reality today.    People must be constantly connected; if they are not, they are not secure and they are not in proper communication.    Everyone has a phone, most everyone will use it a car when they need to, and everyone else just needs to stay out of the way.    If YOU aren't constantly connected, you are "on the wrong side of history"; so just get used to it.   

Part of 21st century life.

Lannis (several principles were harmed in the generation of this post)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:49:31 PM »
I'm 54 years old, never had a cell phone and never will, and I think I should get a discount on my auto insurance, or at least you who have them and use them while driving should pay more. They are in my opinion the modern equivalent to a baby blanket. They deny the right of safe passage to everyone on the road and should be banned outright.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 08:59:02 PM »
I do not use mine in the car. I will pull over if I need to call or check something on my phone. Have had two state troopers pull up behind me and ask if I need help. Told them no, just had to use the phone for work. Both thanked me for stopping and not doing it while driving.
Studies have shown that people who use the phone are as dangerous as a drunk driver.

canuguzzi

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 09:11:13 PM »
did you get that Mana in Mpls listed for $3k? I see the ad is now gone.

Got it in Oregon. Thing was literally brand new as in first service. Stored in a garage, you know, one of those rare things you come across. What a machine, handled so well and light as a feather compared to what else was sitting next to it.

I had fitted a smaller rear sprocket for lower RPMs at freeway speeds, a couple weeks later this. I heard this boom and ran outside and saw the Peg on it's side and the chalk scribbles underneath. I thought the worst and looked underneath. Then in a rare fit of insanity, I calmly walked over to ms. socialite who said she was texting and was sorry. Called the cops who arrested her on the spot.

It gets better. Found a replacement after scouring the ads, a nice Aprilia Mana GT because the TDM guy couldn't get time straight. Made the deal, you know, offer, accept and schedule next day to pick up. Rent trailer ready to leave AM for 3 hour drive next day, email - sold to someone else. Well stuff me and start the basting.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15:26 PM »
I'm 54 years old, never had a cell phone and never will, and I think I should get a discount on my auto insurance, or at least you who have them and use them while driving should pay more. They are in my opinion the modern equivalent to a baby blanket. They deny the right of safe passage to everyone on the road and should be banned outright.

Preach it, brother!!   :thumb:

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 12:47:48 AM »
Notice those chalk writings on the pavement? Moments before, children were sitting there playing and scribbling on the pavement.

The bike was actually 8 feet to the left. The car is the picture is not what pushed the Pegaso, it was some Euro sedan. Hit hard enough to move everything 8'. A few moments earlier and there would have been dead kids.

I initially thought it was the police investigator who made the chalk outline of your bike.
1990 MilleGT

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:46 AM »
In the UK its against the law to use a hand held mobile phone whilst driving - but I see the Ba$$%d doing it every day.

Few things make me REALLY angry but that does  :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »
Cell phone use is a part of life today. Some may not need it, but business requires it to stay relevant for those in industry. PROPER use of cell phones is what needs to be taught. Michigan has plenty of billboards and ads about it, but it is one of the biggest problems on the road today. It will get worse before it gets better. Bluetooth helps with the phone side of things, but at some point texting and other functions of the phone should be shut off when the phone is moving more than 10mph (my cranky solution). This feature should be mandatory for anyone in a moving violation that involved phone use. Michigan currently ignores inattentive driving unless it caused a crash. Some states are more proactive.

I am wearing out the upgraded horn on the Stelvio for people drifting in and out of their lanes and more or less driving like an asshole.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:34 AM »
This is but one of the several ease of use issues that is damming modern life, another example the false identity IRS scandal where refunds are electronically sent to money cards.....because going to a bank to cash 1 check a year is too burdensome..so crooks steal millions from the IRS (which is us).  If a phone user hits one of mine, he/she will be displayed at the end of a rope with said  phone clutched in his "Charlton Hestonesque" hand. :grin: :grin: :grin:
In fact common sense doesn't stand a chance against laziness. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »
Cell phone use is a part of life today. Some may not need it, but business requires it to stay relevant for those in industry.

No business "requires" people to use a cell phone when driving.

When we would have teleconferences, and it was obvious that someone was calling in from a car, the boss would stop the meeting until the person in the car either hung up or pulled over (we could hear).   Our safety messages ALWAYS included "Don't phone and drive."

No business could stand the liability if an employee crashed his car or killed someone else and it could be shown that the business was encouraging someone to work on a phone or computer while in motion ....

Lannis

56Pan

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »
I drove I-85 to work for 21 yrs. to the Charlotte airport.  Almost every day on the section through north Charlotte some s*&t-for-brains on his cell phone would weave into my lane forcing me to dangerously move my truck into traffic in the adjacent lane. (And without fail, they would have Georgia plates.) So, I bought a cell phone jammer.  Within about a 70 ft. radius, it worked great.  After using it a couple times on the ride to work, I saw it made things worse.  S&*t-for-brains would take his phone away from his ear, look at it, thumb the buttons and weave into my lane even worse.  I stopped using it.  But it is such a fine thing to have in the waiting room of a Doctor's office or some such when some loudmouth s&*t-for-brains on his cell phone is signifying and bragging about this or that at high volume so everyone can hear.  I enjoy making them leave the room to get a better signal.  Great stuff.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:30 AM »
I drove I-85 to work for 21 yrs. to the Charlotte airport.  Almost every day on the section through north Charlotte some s*&t-for-brains on his cell phone would weave into my lane forcing me to dangerously move my truck into traffic in the adjacent lane. (And without fail, they would have Georgia plates.) So, I bought a cell phone jammer.  Within about a 70 ft. radius, it worked great.  After using it a couple times on the ride to work, I saw it made things worse.  S&*t-for-brains would take his phone away from his ear, look at it, thumb the buttons and weave into my lane even worse.  I stopped using it.  But it is such a fine thing to have in the waiting room of a Doctor's office or some such when some loudmouth s&*t-for-brains on his cell phone is signifying and bragging about this or that at high volume so everyone can hear.  I enjoy making them leave the room to get a better signal.  Great stuff.

Along those same lines is the Aerostich "Ninja Remote", which will seek out the frequency of the remote on the loud, obnoxious TV in the waiting room at the doctor's office, or the loud soccer match on the TV in the Mexican restaurant, and you can turn it off or down or over, with no one knowing you're doing it .... !    Pollution control .....

Lannis

Offline Ken Po

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
Cell phone use is a part of life today. Some may not need it, but business requires it to stay relevant for those in industry. PROPER use of cell phones is what needs to be taught. Michigan has plenty of billboards and ads about it, but it is one of the biggest problems on the road today. It will get worse before it gets better. Bluetooth helps with the phone side of things, but at some point texting and other functions of the phone should be shut off when the phone is moving more than 10mph (my cranky solution). This feature should be mandatory for anyone in a moving violation that involved phone use. Michigan currently ignores inattentive driving unless it caused a crash. Some states are more proactive.

I am wearing out the upgraded horn on the Stelvio for people drifting in and out of their lanes and more or less driving like an asshole.

Reputable studies have shown that hands-free or hand held, the danger in talking while driving is the same.  I have heard that, in Australia, if you have an accident, they check to see if you were on the phone and the punishment increases if the answer is yes.  Perhaps one of our Aussie friends could confirm?
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
2012 Griso SE (Tenni)
2009 Yamaha FZ1

"Those are my principles.  If you don't like 'em, I have others."  Groucho

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 12:16:33 PM »
Reputable studies have shown that hands-free or hand held, the danger in talking while driving is the same.  I have heard that, in Australia, if you have an accident, they check to see if you were on the phone and the punishment increases if the answer is yes.  Perhaps one of our Aussie friends could confirm?

According to a University of South Carolina study a hands-free that uses only a speaker coming from the front is actually better than talking to a passenger beside you and much better than talking to a passenger in the rear.  All three are distractions but our brain is wired to look at what we talk to and we are less distracted if the sound comes from the front.

The same study showed that "preparing to talk" was more distracting than actually talking, and that just listening is very easy on the brain because we can turn listening on and off.  And I've been accused of turning my listening off a lot over the years! 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

56Pan

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »

Good for Australia.  And don't get caught talking on a cell phone while driving in Saxony-Anhalt Fed. province of Germany either.  It should be illegal statewide in the US.  Just my .02.

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
No business "requires" people to use a cell phone when driving.
Lannis

Not my point...some stated they have never had a cell phone. A cell phone is REQUIRED in some industries. I never suggested driving with said phone was requried.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:47 PM »
I'm so glad that seemingly everyone wants remove one of the most helpful advancements in trucking.  Cell and texting.  I suppose you next want to ban me from using a GPS in my truck. Due to everyone whining about "tired"truckers, forcing companies on to electronic logs, I have no flexibility in my schedule and must utilize every minute of my 11 driving 14 hours duty graciously allowed me by my sovereign, and everyone who has never driven a truck but KNOWs they can do it better than I.  I communicate with my dispatcher, terminal manger, driver manager, and service manager while running down the road.  I also talk to customers who help guide me in to their place while I try to negotiate unfamiliar territory. I also use it to talk to other drivers  during the long over night runs.  Talking to someone helps greatly since I can no longer plan my trip and take breaks when needed due to Hours Of Service regulations, I am frequently forced to run while sleepy or in need of a break.  But since E-logs do not allow this to happen, I must drive on. Talking to another driver friend, sometimes for hundreds of miles and hours at a time, keeps me awake and alert when otherwise I would be fighting to stay alert.   Texting also can be helpful.  I defy anyone to ride with me while I either talk or text on my phone via my bluetooth headset and say that I am less safe than if I were not doing either.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
I can't site the study, but it was published within the last two years that came to the conclusion that talking on a cell phone was a serious distraction to drivers ability to concentrate.  The study found NO difference between the use of a hand held phone, vs a Blue tooth type hands free.   The study also found that carrying on a conversation with the passenger next to you was equally distracting and creates a situation that is more likely to lead to an accident.

I don't doubt the validity of the study.  However, it's unrealistic to think that people would or could silently drive on for hours without speaking to someone!  In my opinion, good drivers can easily handle the extra load of speaking on the phone/conversing, audio texting or conversing with passengers, it's the less than proficient that lead to problems.  There are plenty of drivers on the road who can barely keep things under control in the most optimum of conditions, toss in a couple distractions, and they are armed and dangerous.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
Not my point...some stated they have never had a cell phone. A cell phone is REQUIRED in some industries. I never suggested driving with said phone was requried.

Well certainly, then.    When I was working, the company provided a Blackberry on which I was expected to call, text, email, and access the Internet for business purposes, and I did.    When I quit, they took it back and I've never missed it.   The job required it, my personal life never has.

Lannis

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
About five years ago a group of 5 high school girls were on their way from Rochester NY to a cottage on one of the Finger Lakes. The texting driver pulled out to pass and almost instantly met a semi head on. All died. I'd like to see ads for this on TV rather than the smoking ads.
When the penalty for texting is strong enough this notoriously bad problem will settle down rapidly. The penalty is too light. 
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
About five years ago a group of 5 high school girls were on their way from Rochester NY to a cottage on one of the Finger Lakes. The texting driver pulled out to pass and almost instantly met a semi head on. All died. I'd like to see ads for this on TV rather than the smoking ads.
When the penalty for texting is strong enough this notoriously bad problem will settle down rapidly. The penalty is too light.

Won't happen for a while.   Took 50 years for DUI to be so socially unacceptable that legislators would pass laws against it.   Up till then, they had a personal vested interest in allowing light penalties for DUI.

Might take that long (and 100,000+ dead people) for text-driving to reach the same level of unacceptability.  But right now, too many legislators and their families do it every day and think it's OK and people are just party-pooping Carrie Nation fanatics for wanting penalties to stop it.

Lannis

Offline stephenm

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 05:58:30 PM »
>>I have heard that, in Australia, if you have an accident, they check to see if you were on the phone and the punishment increases if the answer is yes.  Perhaps one of our Aussie friends could confirm?<<

If it can be proved you were using the phone illegally (hand held, texting etc) you will cop the fine and licence points loss that applies. The difficulty lies in proving it. They also believe that the percentage of accidents caused by illegal phone use is higher than reported because of the difficulty in proving the phone was in use (illegally) at the time of the accident.

Stephen

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 01:08:47 AM »

UK Police certainly pull mobile phone records of people suspected of using mobiles while driving and people have been prosecuted on the evidence discovered
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 06:18:45 AM »
 Drivers are easily distracted because modern vehicles don't require a lot of driver attention...Automat ic transmissions, stability control,silent climate controlled cabins, dashboard video screens, back up cameras and so on... A cell phone and cup of coffee just seems natural in this home on wheels.
  I have an I phone.. I don't use it while behind the wheel. It's called discipline. It's the same principal used to not be fat or be a drunk or other type of addict.
  Just to prove I'm no perfect... I was checking the speedometer accuracy on my Buell by holding my I Phone GPS speedometer in my left hand while riding on a rural two lane at 60 MPH...

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here