Author Topic: Another Guzzi dealer bites the dust  (Read 6892 times)

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
Another Guzzi dealer bites the dust
« on: December 25, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »
Just got an email from Newport Italian in Costa Mesa Ca. that they will no longer be a Piaggio dealer.  To bad they supported me and my Stelvio very well till now guess it was time to move on.  they will be mainly an MV Augusta dealer now.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 11:52:15 AM by Johncolleary »
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Another Guzzi dealer bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
Just to try to think positively...
Are there any NEW Guzzi dealers in 2015?
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
Indian Motorcycles of Orange County is now a Piaggio dealer  :huh:
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Online guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
BMG Triumph, Goshen NY...
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »

Offline bsanut

• Hatchling
    • Eurotrash Jambalaya
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
San Jose BMW gave up Guzzi after only a few months, and Aprilia went too, though they'd had that brand for years.  They kept Vespa somehow, but that's it, except for BMW and Zero electric machines.

I finally got it in there during business hours, asked a sales rep it he could tell me why.  He didn't seem to want to talk about it much, but the gist/paraphrase was 'slow sellers, manufacturer hard to deal with'.

Joe
Joe Carter

Eurotrash Jambalaya

2017 V9 Bobber
2014 California Custom (sold)
2009 Stelvio (sold)
2002 EV11 (sold)
1983 California II (sold)
1974 Nuovo Falcone (sold)
2007 Griso (sold)

Offline k99

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »
Yeah, I got an email from them yesterday about that.  Contents pasted below. 

In the last 16 months, Piaggio Group America has come under new management with a new philosophy. This new management has put profits and sales before the customer and dealership well being. We have tried to adapt to this new management style over the last year, but in the end both us, the dealer, and you, the customer, have been on the short end of the stick too many times. Despite setting record numbers and achieving 100% customer satisfaction for the Piaggio Group brands, our efforts to educate the new management of the reality that the focus should be on customer needs and not short term sales numbers, has fallen on deaf ears. Since I started as a dealer in 1993, my theory has been to put the customer first and sales second. Therefore I will not stand by, represent, or maintain a partnership with the Piaggio Group Americas whom, unfortunately for the great brands they represent, only care about their corporate well-being, which is not what I signed up for.

What does this mean to you, my customer and member of the Newport Italian family? Better service and support. We will still be providing you with the same, first-class service that you deserve in our authentic Newport Italian style. As for buying a new Vespa, Aprilia, or Moto Guzzi, we will be able to get you what you need, when you need it. With my 25 years experience as a dealer and our first class reputation I can assure you we will find the bike you want at the best price possible and continue to give you the first class customer experience you deserve. Newport Italian has many, many contacts with a large network of associates for ALL the Italian brands, which I have developed over the many years of business. Please know that this decision was my personal decision and that my only concern was my clients well being. I can assure you that this decision is the best decision for you my client. It is also the best decision for the health and future of Newport Italian, as me and my late business partner Doug Magnon dreamt it to be.

Here is what they said about MV Agusta and other changes:

Starting December 21st, we will start construction to remodel our showroom and service department so that we can better serve your Italian motorcycle needs. We will be expanding our service department from two to five bays, offering a complimentary pick-up and delivery service, and "Tech To You" mobile service program.

Another big change that we are looking forward to and very excited about is that Newport Italian will become the only dealer in the U.S.A. to exclusively carry MV Agusta. This November I took a trip to Varese, Italy with the president of MV Agusta USA to meet with Giovani Castiglioni, the president of MV Agusta. While there I personally saw their commitment and dedication to building and designing the best production motorcycle in the world. We discussed the possibility of Newport Italian becoming the first dedicated, exclusive MV Agusta franchise in the Americas. As a passionate Italian motorcycle enthusiast, businessman, and vehicle dealer of 25 years, the "take care of your customer and they will take care of you" philosophy of MV Agusta and Newport Italian is aligned perfectly. All of us here at Newport Italian look forward to this exclusive partnership.
2012 California 90th Anniversary #109
2014 V7 Special
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2016 BMW R1200RS
2015 BMW K1600GT

K250

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »
MV Agusta, now THERE is a cool bike that is like a Guzzi  X 2.  Twice as expensive, Twice as hard to find parts for, Twice the depreciation.  The dealer that used to sell MV here said they dropped them because of parts availability.    Have to have patience with the exotics.  And lots of cash. 

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
While I understand them dropping Piaggio the problem is in that area every other brand has a dealer nearby and taking on MV as a stand alone dealership will be tough at best.

Offline nosail

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
There's a new Guzzi dealer in the Vancouver area as of last month.
Rick
2008 MG 1200 Sport in gay pirate black (but it's fast)
2011 V7 Racer #58 in black
2003 V11 LeMans (finally a red Guzzi)

Burnaby, B.C.

canuguzzi

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »
Munroe Motors just became a MV Augusta dealer. Since MV isn't a well established brand in the USA, they have to start somewhere, can't expect them to sprout up with a hundred dealers all at once.

They are pricey but look at what they are selling, top of the line goods, features many riders demand these days. Extended service intervals, valves and plugs every 18,000 miles. Riding not maintaining. Other maintenance item intervals are also extended. Many riders riders might like the idea of going early spring to winter without getting wrenches out.

From an 800cc class bike, twice the power too and with the many maps available at a finger touch, something for everyone.

Wish them well, they appear to have the right focus. If their bikes prove reliable they will quickly gain customers in the USA. More choices, better for everyone.

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »
I got the MV Brutal 800 a couple of times as a loaner bike while the Stelvio was being serviced.  That is one fun ride my DL would not last long riding one of those!!!
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline Stephen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »
Cycle Center of Denton in Denton Texas has picked up the line.
They seem enthusiastic, and the have sent two techs to school and said the others will follow.
Time will tell.
Stephen
Carrollton Texas
Christian Motorcyclists Association
2021 V7 Anniversary
2003 Aluminum
1971 Ambassador

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »
It's ironic, my favorite Guzzi dealer is now exclusively Guzzi, and happy about it, after years as a BMW shop with Guzzi as a sideline.

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »
It's ironic, my favorite Guzzi dealer is now exclusively Guzzi, and happy about it, after years as a BMW shop with Guzzi as a sideline.

AJ's in Gill?  I've been wondering how a small shop like that will handle the reportedly new and onerous Piaggio floor stock requirements.  Hopefully it will work out for them, they seem like good guys.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 09:55:29 AM »
A few years back, Vespa expanded in the US by opening several hipster "studio" shops.  These were exclusive Vespa/Piaggio studios.  I'm sure this move helped introduce the Vespa brand to the uninitiated.  Don't know of any exclusive studios still in operation.  The San Diego Vespa 'Studio' didn't last long.  It was located in a hip, expensive, urban part of the city.  After the studio bit the dust, Piaggio allowed the long-time scooter experts at Motorsport Scooters (called Scooterwest on the internet) to carry Vespa and Piaggio scooters... in addition to the Kymco, Genuine, and other scooter brands they already carried.

Similarly, Fiat started its American comeback with the licensing of the 'Fiat Studio'... again, an exclusive and planned arrangement with an American dealer.  The San Diego Fiat Studio lasted about 3 years or so and then folded up tent.  Fiats are still now sold through the giant local multibrand dealerships.  I asked the Fiat manager what happened.  He told me that Fiat just didn't support the Studio dealers very well... in spite of great sales and service to the customer... the numbers just didn't add up.  Warranty work wasn't compensated fairly, usually with credits for parts and supplies, etc. 

Now MV wants to open exclusive 'Studios'?  I don't' see it lasting.  Italian companies tend to provide great support to new dealers but then drop them like a hot rock once they feel the brand is established.

Best of luck to MV in America, its a great bike and brand.  But the Italian business model seems to be focused on short term sales.  Can't see why any American business interest would want to work with them.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
AJ's in Gill?  I've been wondering how a small shop like that will handle the reportedly new and onerous Piaggio floor stock requirements.  Hopefully it will work out for them, they seem like good guys.
Alan and David are SUPER good guys.  Those two (and Ed Soucy, formerly of Moto Italia in Worcester, now in rural France) are at the top of my heap.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »
There's a new Guzzi dealer in the Vancouver area as of last month.

Oh
I couldn't find one, Just Pacific Motor Sports
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
Hey Roy ............... there are 2 new locations they are saying.......... have not been to any of them yet.

Ciao.

canuguzzi

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »

Now MV wants to open exclusive 'Studios'?  I don't' see it lasting.  Italian companies tend to provide great support to new dealers but then drop them like a hot rock once they feel the brand is established.

Best of luck to MV in America, its a great bike and brand.  But the Italian business model seems to be focused on short term sales.  Can't see why any American business interest would want to work with them.

No, they are going into regular high volume dealerships. California has more motorcycles than any other state. All they need to do is be reliable. You only need parts when things break, mostly.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »
I think I'll stop by Denton Cycles when I head down for the Cycle World Show in January.

I see it's just the other side of the Interstate from the Wild West Cafe and a couple of exits north of Don Camillio's in Corinth. :food:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
Alan and David are SUPER good guys.  Those two (and Ed Soucy, formerly of Moto Italia in Worcester, now in rural France) are at the top of my heap.

Yes, AJ. Great place.

Ed Soucy in France? Wow!

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »
Yes, AJ. Great place.

Ed Soucy in France? Wow!
Ed had threatened to go to Portugal but ended up in Bretagne (Brittany). 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »
I just went to the Newport Italian website and found this:

"CLOSED DECEMBER 20TH - JANUARY 15TH DURING REMODELING"

Nice.  Did they tell me this when I dropped the bike off a few days earlier?  No.  Typical.  I wonder when I will get my bike back.

What schmucks not to inform you, only went there once but got a uppity kind of vibe from them and never went back.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
Got my Guzzi leather jacket from them.  Sorry to see them go. 

My closest dealer is 80 miles away in Murfreesboro, TN.  Sloans carries the four Japanese, Polaris, Victory, Indian, etc.  The Moto Guzzi area is maybe 20x20 and the bikes usually only sell as leftovers with discount. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

canuguzzi

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »
What schmucks not to inform you, only went there once but got a uppity kind of vibe from them and never went back.

Who drops off a bike and then doesn't ask when it will be ready? :rolleyes:

Maybe schmucks?

Do ya sit on the pot first and then check for toilet paper? :undecided:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:36:52 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline nosail

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »
Hey Roy ............... there are 2 new locations they are saying.......... have not been to any of them yet.

Ciao.

Pacific Motor Sports is history. International Motorsports in Langley is the new dealer. They also sell Triumphs.
Rick
2008 MG 1200 Sport in gay pirate black (but it's fast)
2011 V7 Racer #58 in black
2003 V11 LeMans (finally a red Guzzi)

Burnaby, B.C.

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »
Your best bet for competent dealer service in LA/OC is Pro Italia in Glendale. They're not great, but they've been ok for my Griso, except for being clueless about the flat tappet situation. They are the best of our generally poor options. And the only one who doesn't sell Vespas.
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »
Your best bet for competent dealer service in LA/OC is Pro Italia in Glendale. They're not great, but they've been ok for my Griso, except for being clueless about the flat tappet situation. They are the best of our generally poor options. And the only one who doesn't sell Vespas.

I would add Thousand Oaks Powersports to that as well.  They recently purchased TO Vespa/Guzzi from Lucky and seem to be doing good stuff for the brand.  Lots of bikes on the floor, lots of parts in stock and a competent mechanic on duty.

The owners are also talking about expanding into the San Fernando Valley, which I would love.  T.O. Powersports carries Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Triumph, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Vespa and Genuine Scooters.  They are enthusiastic about the Guzzi and are actively looking for ways to interact with the Guzzi community and promote the brand.  They just completed the 100,000Km service on the Norge.  Reasonable price and all the work appears to have been done correctly.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »
I'll have to check them out for the future!
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »
When in SoCal and you have a Guzzi and  want service you  go Guzzitech. Buy from Pro Italia but don't trade in there. They've jerked me over pretty good on 2 occasions  . Their service is normally backed up for weeks  .

When I hear about Piaggio I seriously think theyou are clueless when it comes to the American market  with European bikes.. BMW and KTM kinda gets it... Ducati gets it... MV out of nowhere is getting it..
As for now I'm good with Guzzis. Love the V11s, the new V7s are too slow and the CARCs are cool but it's looking like Piaggio might be doing away with them soon. As long as Guzzitech , MGCycles and Harper's is around I'll be just fine  .
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here