Author Topic: tank bag for V7R?  (Read 5305 times)

lucydad

tank bag for V7R?
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:04:43 PM »
All,

Does anyone have a tank bag for a V7R they can recommend?  I have a magnetic tank bag, but currently strap it to the rear rack instead of tank.  The big magnets concern me about scratching the beautiful black tank on my 2012 V7R.  On my Triumph STRX I have a removable tank bag with ring attachment to the gas filler.  Love the thing.

I figure with the rear Ortlieb, and a tank bag==> the combination would be ideal. 

Thank you!

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Re: tank bag for V7R?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
Any magnetic tank bag should work, just make sure that the tank is clean and dust free before putting it on.     I have two magnetic tang bags, but, the one has two of it's four magnets on the midline and four on flaps out to side, which works for for my V7 Special, but, not so much for the Racer due to the strap.   I removed the strap when I had the tank off to change the fuel filter, now, I'll be able to use that bag on the bike.

I have the Givi tank-lock system on my Monster 796 and BMW F800GT, and love it,  but, they don't list a ring for the V7.   It is possibly that one for another bike might fit though.

I have not looked to see if Bags Connection (now SW-Motec) has one for the V7.   I think (but, could be wrong) that these are the only two tank-ring attachment systems on the market.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

lucydad

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:18:11 PM »
Thanks, it could be the only option is a magnetic bag, and I have one.  I have the magnets stashed somewhere in a garage drawer. Perhaps some of the clear tank protector tape would insure no scratches. Seems we get a lot of wet grime weather here and dirt, and I would hate to scratch the pretty black tank. 

My Triumph tank bag is a removable SW-Mototech.  It is a superb design:  easy on and off, and looks good. 

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
IRC Racers Tape.  Put it on the tank where the magnets hit-no problem.  No damage or residue either.  Works PERFECT.
I use the 2" by 12' roll.  www.findtape.com.  A touch expensive and worth every penny.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
IRC Racers Tape.  Put it on the tank where the magnets hit-no problem.  No damage or residue either.  Works PERFECT.
I use the 2" by 12' roll.  www.findtape.com.  A touch expensive and worth every penny.

Unless the tape pulls the clear coat off when you remove it.   :wink:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »
No, it does NOT.  That's the beauty of it.  We've been using it for years.  It's not even really "tape" but a flexible and stretchable poly product.  Some call it NASCAR tape and the common name, because of it's original use is, Helicopter or 200mph tape.

I've used it on both gloss and mat finish paint and there is not ill effect.  I had this product on my Tiger for 4 years and when I sold the bike and removed the tape you could never tell it was there.  The product also passes UV thru so everything fades at the same rate.

I know the comment was a bit tongue in cheek-but I'd never have mentioned it if the tape damaged the paint.  I have 7 years experience with this stuff and it's really a problem solver.  Other uses are to keep boot scuffs of lower cases (heat does not bother it), provide a buffer between a bike and any tie-down straps, protecting leading edges of forks from "highway polish" due to grit, and headlight protection from stones-again on long getaways.

I first learned about this after a recommendation in MotorCycle Consumer News years ago.  I started using it for the exact reason as Lucydad-to keep a magnetic tank bag from damaging the (soft) paint on a Bonnie.

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 06:32:19 AM »
Just a note: I found it listed as "ISC Helicopter Tape" on the findtape Web site.  I bought a roll so thanks for the reference.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 07:29:46 AM »
The tankbag that Guzzi offers for the V7 is my favourite. Extremely well designed. The bra ties on at the headstock & at the rear with shock cord through the grommets & around the frame rails behind the tank & in front of the seat. (The old plastic tanks have threaded holes for that purpose in the tank under the lip at the front of the seat). The bra doesn't appear to scratch the tank at all & it's very stable. The supplied rain cover is useless and I had a motor trimmer knock up a cover in black vinyl, with the top panel see-through plastic. The bag itself clips onto the bra with 2 buckles at the front - unclip & lay backwards for access to the fuel cap - and a locking slide arrangement at the rear. When the tankbag is not needed, the bra stays on the tank.

The Ortlieb tankbag is waterproof, comes with a removable map pock, has a roll closure with clips at the front & a waterproof zip at the back. The fixing arrangement is versatile, can be used with the magnets on metal tanks, or they can be removed from their pockets and the pad/bra tied on with any of the multitude of ties provided. It comes with instructions. It fits more than the Guzzi bag. Some tank protection, such as that helicopter tape, or static vinyl/plastic, is recommended.

Kriega also have a tankbag system using their US bags. You wouldn't really want to go any bigger than their US20. Their bra system to attach the bag to the tank comes in magnetic or non-magnetic flavours, with a few sub-options as well. The bag is waterproof, with a similar roll closure system to Ortlieb, but to get to anything in there, it's easier to remove it. Not quite as convenient - I prefer having a pocket or two. And no map pocket option yet - they are said to be working on one.

As far as I'm aware neither Givi or SW-Motech make the ring fittings for the V7 fuel cap, I've asked, as have others. There's a Griso rider who makes a ring system for the Griso tank cap to fit the Givi systems.

Bagster make tank covers for the V7, so if you want to cover up your tank, you can have access to Bagster's range of tank bags. I have a mate with a Racer whose tank goes from chrome to black when he uses his tankbag. The Racer looks pretty good with a black tank.

Mal

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 07:36:55 AM »
No, it does NOT.   

I'll tell my Ducati friend that.  Nope, the racing tape did not pull the clearcoat off his fuel tank.  Didn't happen.

I started using it for the exact reason as Lucydad-to keep a magnetic tank bag from damaging the (soft) paint on a Bonnie.

I use that rubberized shelf liner under my tank bags, on bikes with soft paint, like my former V11 LeMans.

Paint seems tough on my Sport 1100 and on my V7 Special.  I haven't been using the shelf liner between the magnetic Cortech Super 2.0 tank bag.  And, no scratches.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:40:32 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:12:23 AM »
If it pulled his clearcoat off that's a first.  it could very well have been an issue with that tank-who know for sure.  In over 40 bikes we've used the tape on not one failure.
As for the underlayment I have seen the pattern get embossed into the paint on two occasions.

The OP well may elect to not use the IRC product-no matter.  Just relaying a decent sample size as a possible solution.
As always, YMMV and I'm fine with that.

Offline TBShorty

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:54:16 AM »
I have an inexpensive Sedici magnetic bag on my 2014 Stone.  I use it every time I ride which is a lot.  Wipe the bottom of the bags and magnets with damp cloth and 3 layers of carnuba wax on the tank, no problems with scratching.  Probably don't want to wax a flat finish tank but it works well on the shiny ones.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
Whatever you do do not leave a magnetic ank bag on the bike for days on end. If you do you will be able to see blemishes in the paint where the magnets are. As long as you remove the tank bag at the end of the day your fine.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
I'll tell my Ducati friend that.  Nope, the racing tape did not pull the clearcoat off his fuel tank.  Didn't happen.

A friend of mine had the clear lift on the fairing of his ST2 when he used a suction cup mount for a GoPro.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »
If it pulled his clearcoat off that's a first.  it could very well have been an issue with that tank-who know for sure.   

It was a dozen years ago.  We had the bikes taped up for a track day.  Admittedly, he did leave it on there awhile.  Can't remember how long.  But, when he removed the tape, it took the clearcoat with it.  1998 M750.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
Mine was on a Tiger for 5 years.  No mark whatsoever.
Go figure.

lucydad

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »
Ordered the tape.  I will remember to only attach the tank bag when riding.  The on and off during fueling will be a bit of a pita, but my Nelson Rigg bag is a perfect complement to the cavernous Ortlieb.  Got some straps coming for the Ort.  I am getting very close to full gear for my first motorcycle camping test ride to Brazos Bend State park.  After that short ride/test camp for a night:  Hill country and also the coast during our cooler months here in Texas.  Can't wait.  This is a dream. 

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 07:28:03 AM »
I currently use a HELD tank bag on my v7 stone...it is magnetic, however non issues with scratches or blemishes...I don't leave it on the tank (take it off when not riding) and I always wipe the tank and bottom of bag before I put it on (I leave a small lint cloth in it for this very reason...not a big deal or hassle as you get used to doing it). The one thing that I can honestly say is that this bag fits the contours of the tank perfectly...it is somewhat rectangular in shape and fits the top of the tank very nicely...I could be happier. I would send a pic, however I have already put my bike in storage :( and I don't really have a pic with the bag one it. Please see the link below to the one that I have...you may have to research where to get one on the net as the link that I sent from revzill says it is out of stock...my dealer in Toronto is sold out too...he has them on the v7's in the showroom and they sell fast as they are a good fit. Hope that helps.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-case-magnetic-tank-bag

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (matte black)
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:
2004 Yamaha YZF 600R (sold)
1996 Yamaha vStar 650 (sold)

Frulk

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
Been running two bags on the V7R..the one in the pic is the Nelson Rigg bag. Has magnets and I think straps but never used those. Magnets hold it tight at 85 mph and never had any movement. It has two mesh pockets on the inside down either side. 1 each on either side zippered on the outside and is a really good size for long jaunts. In the Pic it's non expanded. At the bottom you can un-zipper it and the bag will increase in size by another 3-4 inches vertically, giving you a very tall bag.  Plenty of room for water bottles and so forth w/o doing that however. Has two clear pockets on the top. One larger one that can be adjusted for tilt to about 45 degrees and has a cable access point underneath it to the interior of the bag. Big enough to hold an IP6+ and one smaller one that's non removable...maybe for a Garmin Hand Held GPS. Also has a earphone ports on either side closest to the rider. Bag has an unobtrusive carry handle built in and the whole thing is very well made out of quality material. My only 2 gripes about the bag is that I wish it had a little more compartmentalizatio n in the interior. With such a large space I have to rummage around for smaller items. Also, size wise if you mount it closer to the bars you'll hit them in very tight turning....like rolling the bike into a spot or pushing it into the garage. That's a minor nitpick however. Bag comes with a rain cover that's stored inside the main compartment

Side profile of bag non expanded

My other, smaller bag is a Tourmaster. Really like it as well...comes with straps but never use them. I'd recommend either bag.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:53:29 AM by Frulk »

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 08:30:10 AM »
I have a large First Gear magnetic tank bag that I've used with my V7R.   The only problem is that the flaps with the magnets come down far enough that the front ones land right on the raised emblems, and thus don't really hold well.   I've never had it come off, but, always worry a little.    Now that I have the Record fairing and have the clip ones lowered to clear that, this bag is a little too tall.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

bpreynolds

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 08:35:47 AM »
If you leave the tank bag on for days on end, why do the magnets make places on the tank? 

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »
If you leave the tank bag on for days on end, why do the magnets make places on the tank?
The Givi tank bag I have left imprints of the vinyl pattern covering the magnets in the paint of the tank after using it on a hot day. I stopped using it after that, but some helicopter tape under the pressure points might work too. Depends on your level of pickiness I guess. I don't think anything that's in contact with a painted surface won't leave some sort of mark or impression over time.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »
Another reason I like the OEM tankbag. The bra is very stable.

The bra has been on the V7C for 5 years now, rarely comes off, 'tho I do have a sheet of plastic between the tank and bra. I have never tried removing the plastic.

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »
The tape under the magnets works a treat for me.

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 04:23:21 AM »
I have a Hepco & Becker tank bag on a V7II Stone. The bag mounts via the fuel ring and is magnetically latched. The bag sits above the tank and does not touch it.
The only hassle I have with the bag is that there is limited space to allow the uncoupling/removal of the bag. It is doable but awkward.

Cheers

Brian  :grin:
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here