Author Topic: Angled valve stem adapters..  (Read 9928 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Angled valve stem adapters..
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:24:23 PM »
30+ years of riding and fighting straight valve stems.  Recently I thought about upgrading to angled valve stems.  But, I just found some of these on fleabay.  They were $10 a piece and well worth it to me.  There are some cheaper Chinese counterparts on there, but I didn't want to wait too long for them and I've had bad luck returning junk from China (no international war declaration intended here, so don't).

I hope they work good.  Supposed to be no modification, straight forward installation.

Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Angled valve stem adapters..
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
Wish I'd a thought of that, just got some new tars on.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Kentktk

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:41:08 PM »
 :thumb:Those are look really well made. Any link to the ebay seller?

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »
Hi Luap, I'm a firm believer in Kurvy Girl.  Yep, that's my source for angled valve stems.
https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=169

No kidding, this is the place to get your valve stems.  Now, for tube type tires...you are screwed.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »
Hi Luap, I'm a firm believer in Kurvy Girl.  Yep, that's my source for angled valve stems.
https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=169

No kidding, this is the place to get your valve stems.  Now, for tube type tires...you are screwed.

Peter Y.

Peter, These aren't stems.  They're adapters for the existing straight stems.  I hope they work as good  :laugh:
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
Wish I'd a thought of that, just got some new tars on.

Not too late to add these to your stems

:thumb:Those are look really well made. Any link to the ebay seller?
Here's some more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANGLED-VALVE-STEM-ADAPTOR-90-degree-angle-Chrome-tire-valve-ninety-degree-/222064141722?hash=item33b40de59a:g:XKgAAOxyJX1S~mlW&vxp=mtr
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

Offline Edo

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:41 PM »
Browsing thru a BMW dealership last weekend, noticed that the valve stems stick straight out from a wheel spoke. No longer on the rim itself.  Very clever, simplifies things greatly.
'13 Norge
'00 V11 Sport
'83 1000SP
Milton, Delaware

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
Those have been around for years. I've never used them because they look like a lot of hardware on the stem to me. Also, you must have them on tight or they will rotate on you.

Hope it works for you, though.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »
Make 100% certain that they seal. It could be a leak source and a flat tire. I had that happen to me with those screw on little tire gauges that are supposed to help identify a low tire pressure. Well duh, they CAUSED the low tire pressure.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 08:09:23 PM »
I use them.  They will change your wheel balance.  My method is to balance with the stem turned in-line with the wheel rotation.  I loosen the extension and turn it 90º to use it and then return it to it's inline position.  fwiw I bought mine at a truck stop.  They look identical and cost $10/pr back when continental K112's were the hot ticket.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »
I always assumed that they weren't meant to be left on all of the time, but installed only when needed. In any case, that's how I use mine.
Charlie

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 09:43:38 PM »
I thought this was about intake and exhaust valves.  Was confused for a short time...

Duh.  I'm gonna get anudder glass of vino.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 12:23:12 AM »
I always assumed that they weren't meant to be left on all of the time, but installed only when needed. In any case, that's how I use mine.

Hmmmm.  Then there's that way.   :cheesy:

I got mine because the straight valves were too difficult to access without gloves and impossible with gloves.  On my 16" lester rear wheel it was the only way to get most air chucks connected.  Rather than dealing with glove removal and extender installation every time I wanted to check tire pressure it made sense to me to install them permanently and compensate for balance.  My tubeless rims get kurvygirl's right angle valves.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 12:41:25 AM »
Does the rotation of the stem in line or otherwise make a difference to the wheel balance ?

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 12:52:18 AM »
Dunno.  But in the absence of knowing I decided to balance the wheels with the valve extenders in their intended travelling positions.  That way it didn't matter.   :boozing:

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 06:15:09 AM »
Wonder how 'universal' the ones that come with the 1200 Sport would be for other tubeless tire applications?  And how much $$?  I don't remember if the Griso came with these or not.

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 07:01:28 AM »
Wonder how 'universal' the ones that come with the 1200 Sport would be for other tubeless tire applications?  And how much $$?  I don't remember if the Griso came with these or not.

I expect they would work.  Also, the earlier post by PYoung shows another source of angled valves (not extensions) to fit about any situation.

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 07:07:08 AM »
In trying to figure out a solution like the original post I tried several types of stems on the Stelvio and had problems with the 90 degree. Wouldn't seal properly because of the dimples for the spokes were to close together. Couldn't get certain air chucks on them. Eventually, found the perfect compromise with this style 45 degree stem. No more problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Chromed-Degree-Valve-Chrome-Included/dp/B005FQLU2G
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 07:27:04 AM »
In trying to figure out a solution like the original post I tried several types of stems on the Stelvio and had problems with the 90 degree. Wouldn't seal properly because of the dimples for the spokes were to close together. Couldn't get certain air chucks on them. Eventually, found the perfect compromise with this style 45 degree stem. No more problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Chromed-Degree-Valve-Chrome-Included/dp/B005FQLU2G

I've used those too.  On the Stelvio, though, I have no problems using the stock valves.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »

These and many similar are fitted to modern bikes especially on the front wheels where the discs are so large that a straight valve just wouldn't work

They can be retro installed to older bikes but be careful some older wheels have an insufficient flat area on the wheel to allow them to seat properly and they can leak............... ......Don't ask how I know. The tire also needs to be removed to install.

With the adapter types I only install them when I need to check pressures and remove when I'm finished as Antietam does.

On the bike, on the move, they could rotate affecting balance and introduce another point for leakages

Just what I do

redrider

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
Sudden tire deflation can occur when the centrifugal forces of the spinning tire cause the stem to deflect slightly. The cap end will be forced towards the rim. Honda "discovered" this after several "incidents" on the wing/barge. This led to the addition of that little stem support plastic thingy. Of course, I wonder about the forces acting on the stem valve for the straight type. At what point does the force overcome the spring? From there, only the stem cap keeps the air in. Soooo, make sure your caps have the seal in them. I have first hand experience on THAT one.

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »
Whatever you do, don't put a tire pressure sensor on the end of those.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »

If you look at the Kurveygirl site you'll see that there really are only 2 sizes of these things, 11.3mm and 8.3mm.

Most of the European bikes appear to take the smaller size while most of the Japanese bikes take the larger.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 11:25:31 PM »
I have a pair of lesters where the front is the 8mm/2.15x18 and the rear is 13mm/3.25"x16.  The books and wags all tell me it never happened, but they're holding the bike up right now.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
As above, I like the 45s best when available and short.

I have learned the failings of too much leverage from these adaptors when trying to make the seal and limit pressure on the stem at the same time.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline jazzamoto

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »

I bought a set from Stop n' Go a while back and that's exactly what the instructions say. They're not for road use. You put them on only when you air up the tires. My experience was that they easily lose 4 - 5 lbs when you try to take them off so they're kind of useless. Wait until it's time to replace tires then put a permanent set of 90 deg. stems on.
Richmond, CA
'78 Le Mans I
2021 Honda NC 750x DCT
"JAZZAMOTO  predicted it!"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 12:52:23 PM »
If it's that easy to install and remove the extenders (quickly -- without losing any air) they're probably not needed.

In my opinion it's completely counterproductive to remove and install extenders every time you check air -- which should be before every ride.  We use them because accessing the valves is a royal pain.  You're doing  3x the fiddling + gloves if you remove them every time.  That = a greater reluctance to do your diligence.  Leaving them installed = convenience and encourages proper tire care.  If you balance the wheel with the extender attached it's weight should have no effect.

And the instructions say to not leave them installed?   These extenders are designed for the inner wheels of dualies where it's physically impossible to access the valve without the extender.  Maybe one of our truckers will tell us how these work in the real world.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 03:40:26 PM »
I installed them a few days ago.  Preliminarily as a permanent option.  Centrifugal force will have them resting against a spoke anyways so I don't see how they can back off. I may be wrong though, I've been wrong before. I'll be sure and check on them after an extended ride of course, but so far after 3 days they have lost no air at all.  They look and feel very nicely made.

I will probably definitely go to the permanent 90 when I get new tires mounted though. Never understood this straight stem setup that is impossible to reach.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
If it's that easy to install and remove the extenders (quickly -- without losing any air) they're probably not needed.

In my opinion it's completely counterproductive to remove and install extenders every time you check air -- which should be before every ride.  We use them because accessing the valves is a royal pain. 

I bought and use mine only for when I have to air up on the road and am faced with a air chuck like this:

Can't squeeze that in past the big ol' drums or even the discs on some of my bikes. At home I have this type and it's no problem:

Whatever works!  :laugh:
Charlie

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 05:58:35 PM »
I bought and use mine only for when I have to air up on the road and am faced with a air chuck like this:

Can't squeeze that in past the big ol' drums or even the discs on some of my bikes. At home I have this type and it's no problem:

Whatever works!  :laugh:

:1:

That's what works best for me as well....

Mark

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here