Author Topic: Audace - my new bike  (Read 7029 times)

janusz

Audace - my new bike
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »
I finally picked my dream bike from the dealer and managed to drive save home. Despite the traffic, I enjoyed the ride. Please keep in mind this this my first bike in such a caliber, before I only drove 250cc bikes when taking training classes at local training courses. I own the Vespa GTV 300 which I purchased last year and it is a bike a practice before taking a big jump into MG.

The ride home was brilliant, most of the ride I was sucked in the traffic which moved at 3/5km/h. I really think that getting stuck in such a circumstances give a newbie like me a sense what the real riding around city is like.

Hymes Inc.

Re: Audace - my new bike
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:55:32 PM »
Congrats, that is quite the upgrade.

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »
Good for you janusz! Sweet ride.
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »
cool! Welcome aboard!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:29:03 PM »
congrats. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Lcarlson

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:36:39 PM »
The 1400s are really nice bikes. But if your coming off much smaller machines, it might be good to avoid dense traffic situations until you're a little more comfortable with a big bike like the Cali.

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 11:56:35 PM »
Get that big girl out on the open highway ............. that's where she will show her good stuff.

Ciao.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 01:30:38 AM »
Good for you!  Don't let the others make you afraid of the big beast -- just respect its potential to hurt you and ride it accordingly.  Also remember the respect that others give you -- as they hand you performance awards!   :police: 

That sort of a first ride experience will certainly help which of your bikes to choose for what riding environment.  I'll bet either of the others are better than a 1400 at parade speed.  But once you're on the highway it should be a treat!

Now can you imagine that same congested ride without needing to use the clutch or shifter?   I think the Convert should be brought back.  Coupled to a 1400 it would be a hoot!

twowings

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 06:30:46 AM »
Nice going! The best of both worlds...

lucydad

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 08:26:49 AM »
JanusZ,

I love the looks of the big A.  She will be a hoot once you find an open road.  Came close to buying one here in Houston, but a guy beat me to the only one to come into town at our dealer. 

Give us another ride report please.

Ride safe!

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 08:57:28 AM »
Love the redheads!
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »

Attaboy !

Dusty

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »
Congratulations on the 1400!  Awesome cruiser for sure. 12,000 miles on my custom 14 without a single issue, your gonna love that bike. as others have stated , just respect the the weight your handling at all times, especially on slow speed maneuvers.  Plan ahead a little bit when parking to avoid having to back pedal too much, especially on a slope. Also. be aware in sand or gravel as these big cruisers can get a little squirrel y on the front end.

Wait until you set the cruise control at 70 mph on a highway and come to a hill.  You'll feel the torque of that big twin start pulling on it's own, there's nothing like it! Welcome to the group :thumb:

janusz

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »
Thank you all for very kind words and encouragement. A bit of background :)

Last year when I bought my Vespa GTV 300 I knew nothing about MG. Well, till I bumped to a web-site which was about MG California 1400 Custom. At this moment I knew I have to have one, don't ask why but for me it was a perfect bike. Well, I didn't know for sure how perfect it could be, I've never sit on anything closely as big as this bike. And then MG introduced Audace model, this was a real curved ball from my perspective. I liked both bike very much but I had to choose just one (blame my wife, I would buy both). I decided to go with Audace, probably the deciding factor was the location of pegs vs platform on 1400 custom.

Some of you may ask why I decided to jump from 278cc scooter to 1380cc bike. The answer is very simple. If I could ever ride a big bike in my life it has to be now. I'm 62, still fit, and in my assessment I can handle the weight. Another aspect is I'm a newbie and it is typical that attraction will be drawn towards big bikes. I think I need more time to develop appreciation towards  smaller one. The most important thing happened yesterday when my wife drove in the garage after work and she got out her car. Her words were:
THIS IS VERY BEAUTIFUL BIKE, I NEVER EXPECTED TO BE SO GOOD LOOKING BASED ON PICTURES!
In my books this is big, my wife never commented on any of my bicycles, scooters (Vespa), etc. but saying:
'Nice, whatever make you happy!'

Today it was a VESPA day, I had to pick up some merchandise and Vespa GTV 300 is great for that where as Audace sucks since there is no any place to load anything. So MG was resting in the garage and Vespa was deployed to do all foot work. The first thing I had to pick up it was the new MG helmet :) and then stop for cappuccino. My riding day was cut short because I had to go back home and take my dog for a walk :(

If you really don't mind will keep you up the speed with the progress but not quite sure if you like read more of this nonsense. After all this is nothing new, and many of you went through the same experiences in the past (please feel free to share).

Cheers,
Janusz

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
I had to go back home and take my dog for a walk :(  Dogs are worth it good on you!

If you really don't mind will keep you up the speed with the progress but not quite sure if you like read more of this nonsense. After all this is nothing new, and many of you went through the same experiences in the past (please feel free to share).

Cheers,
Janusz
Please do keep us up to speed.. I like to know your impressions..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »

Now can you imagine that same congested ride without needing to use the clutch or shifter?   I think the Convert should be brought back.  Coupled to a 1400 it would be a hoot!

Yes!  A 1400 Convert with a six speed automatic and a lockup TC. They have the computer on board already and the technology is well proven in millions of cages.
And congrats Janusz on the new bike.  It is a beauty.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

janusz

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »
Yes!  A 1400 Convert with a six speed automatic and a lockup TC. They have the computer on board already and the technology is well proven in millions of cages.
And congrats Janusz on the new bike.  It is a beauty.
Hunter

Thank you. But the convert is not my kind of option at all. In my case it has to have a clutch, gears, etc. Another words properly manual :)

janusz

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 09:40:58 PM »
Please do keep us up to speed.. I like to know your impressions..

My first impression sitting in the traffic jam was to learn my clutch. When I used 2-fingers on the clutch and squeezed the lever, the bike was happy to shift gears but I wasn't able to put bike in N(eutral). Only if I put all fingers on the clutch lever and squeezed right to the grip bar then putting bike in neutral was extremely easy :) This may change with time as at this point I have only 15 km on my bike :)

Another impression: It was a warm day but nowhere as hot as it will be in the summer. The bike was very hot when waiting in the traffic (specifically the left side). I like to know if you will turn your bike/engine off when in similar situation?

twowings

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 09:44:09 PM »
What pants were you wearing?  Plenty of body protection? or just dungarees?

janusz

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
What pants were you wearing?  Plenty of body protection? or just dungarees?
Just a regular levi strauss jeans  :thumb:
I'm not much concern about my pants but very much concern about the bike. One thing to remember is when the bike was parked in the garage, after about 1 hour after the engine was turned off the tank was still very worm. Just wonder if this is normal. Thanks!

twowings

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 07:16:41 AM »
Oh, I get it now..*duh*...I would like to believe the engineers took into account the stress of prolonged idling in traffic when designing the bike...I would shut the engine off if traffic was at a standstill for more than a few minutes but remember the oil passing through the engine is conducting heat away to some extent...as far as the clutch and transmission it will take some miles to 'break-in' or 'loosen up' and make using the controls easier...

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 07:21:35 AM »
Just a regular levi strauss jeans  :thumb:
I'm not much concern about my pants but very much concern about the bike. One thing to remember is when the bike was parked in the garage, after about 1 hour after the engine was turned off the tank was still very worm. Just wonder if this is normal. Thanks!

Congratulations!

Re the tank: Yeah. It takes a while for that big lump beneath it to cool down. Since heat rises.............. ..... Well, you get the idea.

John Henry

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 04:17:47 PM »
Congrats on the bike.  Good to see that keeping the Scooter is a reality based ride.  Most riders don't know that the Vespa will "eat" a lot of bikes in the twisties.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

janusz

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
Thank you all.

Today, I wanted to put some serious miles on my new bike but had to cut the ride short because I was socked in rain. :angry: The temperature was around 14 C, my gloves, jeans, boots were completely wet, I felt really cold and didn't have choice but just turn around and ride home. I have to admit that my Belstaff soy waxed cotton jacket passed rain test with flying colors but this was only piece of garment which actually manage protect me.

As of today I managed to put a whipping 30 km total on my bike  :grin: Good new is I managed to ride in very wet condition and got home in one piece.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
Worthwhile to invest in some good waterproof riding gear, you should be able to ride thru a pouring thunderstorm and still stay dry, especially gloves and boots so you can operate the controls properly.

I was in Mississauga two weeks ago for work, and will head back again in July...whereabouts is the Guzzi dealer in Toronto and do they rent Guzzi's by any chance?

Even more importantly, is there a nearby Polish bakery to buy some makowiec or paczki?   :grin: :grin:

I might spend a weekend up there next time and do some exploring...pretty sure I can bring my helmet as a carryon item.  :laugh: :laugh:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

janusz

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 06:30:58 PM »
Hey PJPR01,

I usually check weather before going for a ride but this time I goofed and ended up socked wet :sad: Riding in the rain is not my cup of tea and I will cancel my ride if there is chance of rain.

Corsa Meccanica is the only MG dealer in GTA http://corsameccanica.com/ but not sure if they rent bikes. I can find out if you want me to.

Paczki, makowce, serniki, etc. sa latwo dostepne w Toronto:

1. Wisla Plaza is in the moment the best place to buy polish food: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Wisla+Delicatessen/@43.622204,-79.6001616,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x1d750b10ad33cc80!8m2!3d43.622204!4d-79.6001616

2. Starsky (http://www.starskycanada.com/aboutus.php) is a supermarket where you can buy anything you can dream of, paczki, makowce, ogorki malosolne, etc. you name it and they have it :)

3. Roncesvalles Ave in Toronto, used to be called Marszalkowska by polaks living in GTA. It is not so much polish now as it was 10 years ago but you will be able to find few polish restaraunt like this one: http://cafepolonez.ca/

Bring the riding gear, worst case scenario we will have to share MG / Vespa and I will take for a spin around the city. Please send me pm with more details about your stay in Misssissauga and we will be able to arrange some fun.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
Bardzo dobrze!   Wisla is only 6 km away from the office, Starsky only 8 km...fantastic...I shall have to bring an extra small suitcase to pack some goodies home!!

Very kind of you for the invite!  I shall do that...once travel plans are in place...I'll send a note and see if we can coordinate a ride.

Dziekuje!

Paul
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

janusz

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 10:39:25 PM »
Short (5 minutes) video from my ride around Toronto. Managed to put additional 55 km on the bike and spend almost 1 1/2 hours on the bike  :thumb:

https://youtu.be/NeP2XY4JmpI

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 02:50:25 AM »
Just an opinion but I'd keep it in a lower gear to keep the rpm's up around 4K when rolling.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

janusz

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 08:45:45 AM »
Just an opinion but I'd keep it in a lower gear to keep the rpm's up around 4K when rolling.

Thank you Tom. I thought I was revving engine too high and switching gears up too late. I will definitely try to put your suggestion to use. Thanks!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here