Author Topic: So this is what all the fuss is about (Finally rode a Griso)  (Read 7379 times)

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
So, Phil at ClevelandMoto in Mentor, Ohio was kind enough to let me demo his brand new, out of the crate Griso.  What can I say other than; "Not bad for an old tractor motor."  Now I have to research this bike to learn about potential issues a new owner may encounter.  I read something about replacing starter or battery cables to make starting easier?   Other than that, is there anything else a potential new owner should be on the lookout for?

I should mention one thing that caught my attention as soon as I saw the bike; it has cheapie plastic/chrome turn signal housings...Looked out of place on a bike of this caliber.

I still want to snag a ride on an R Nine T but I could get used to this very quickly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EESH9Dx8sT8

Steve

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 02:08:29 PM by desmoface »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: So this is what all the fuss is about (my first MG experience)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Didn't know there was a dealer in Mentor.  There are a number of Guzzi owners in the local area.  Hunt them down and go for a ride with them. :thumb:  Zoom Zoom is nearby.  They have a monthly breakfast meet also.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:53:15 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »
Hi Tom,

The demo ride sure was a lot of fun; I've been bikeless for about the last two years and have always had a thing for Guzzi's.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 02:09:26 PM by desmoface »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
Didn't know there was a dealer in Mentor.  There are a number of Guzzi owners in the local area.  Hunt them down and go for a ride with them. :thumb: Zoom Zoom is nearby.  They have a monthly breakfast meet also.

I believe that ZZ lives near that dealer and has mentioned that he likes them. Did you test ride the red one?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
Re: So this is what all the fuss is about (Finally rode a Griso)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
Interestingly, Phil is a longtime pal of my local Triumph/Zero/Vespa/Moto Guzzi dealer, Chelsea Lammers. So there's that.

The Griso was my favorite of all the Guzzis I owned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/sets/72157627073164935/
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »
Hi Blackcat, yep, this one:

I believe that ZZ lives near that dealer and has mentioned that he likes them. Did you test ride the red one?

Steve

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »

Someday........you'll understand :thumb: :laugh:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
Hi Mojohand; I know the importance of having a good dealer and I know Phil's been selling Guzzi's for quite a while now.  Seems to know what he's doing.

Steve

Interestingly, Phil is a longtime pal of my local Triumph/Zero/Vespa/Moto Guzzi dealer, Chelsea Lammers. So there's that.

The Griso was my favorite of all the Guzzis I owned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/sets/72157627073164935/

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
LOL, I believe I am.

Steve

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »
Hi Blackcat, yep, this one:

Steve

Yep, you need to buy the red one.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
I bought my V7C from Phil at Clevelandmoto... awesome guy, impressive selection :)
2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
You came all the way from Pittburgh?

I bought my V7C from Phil at Clevelandmoto... awesome guy, impressive selection :)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 11:37:40 PM »

Pittsburgh to Cleveland? "all the way"?  My sense of distance must be permanently distorted!  :laugh:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 07:15:45 AM »
It's only a couple hours from here to Cleveland, and the ride back home was my maiden voyage  :bike-037:

2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »
LOL, I guess it's not that far.  I guess I'm fortunate to have them a stones throw from my home.

Steve

Offline guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 07:41:53 AM »
I had a short test ride on a Griso at Cadre cycle 2 weeks ago and fell in love.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
"old tractor engine"....not so, by a long shot.  That 8 valve high cam engine has no tractor roots. 
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 08:16:28 AM »
I had a short test ride on a Griso at Cadre cycle 2 weeks ago and fell in love.

She's addictive, right?

"old tractor engine"....not so, by a long shot.  That 8 valve high cam engine has no tractor roots.

Ahh..I was just funning.'  Not even a little tractor dna?

Steve

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »

Yeah , more of a high performance ditch pump engine  :popcorn: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 08:08:43 AM »
I still want to snag a ride on an R Nine T but I could get used to this very quickly

Having been through testing and buying a new R-bike recently, I'll offer this.

To me, the R Nine T is really just a previous gen R1200R, dressed a bit differently to attract the hipster crowd.

Whatever you do, don't test a new shower-head R1200R right after the Nine.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »
Hi Sturgeon,

You know, I sat on the new r12r as I thought this bike was custom made for me...I actually found it too upright..I prefer a slight forward lean like on the r9t and the Griso.  Is the new r12 that much better than the 9t?  I would also fancy a spin on the new s1kr  :copcar:

Steve

Having been through testing and buying a new R-bike recently, I'll offer this.

To me, the R Nine T is really just a previous gen R1200R, dressed a bit differently to attract the hipster crowd.

Whatever you do, don't test a new shower-head R1200R right after the Nine.

Offline jGuz

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »
I've been through the same conundrum before I got my R9T.  At first I wanted the S1KR, but then concluded that if I were to use it to its full potential I would either be in jail or in the ground.  Still, seems like a fantastic bike for $15k.

I test-rode the WC R1200R and thought it was just a well-refined, proper bike.  It was smooth and did everything pretty much effortlessly.  The problem was that it was a little too much like my Honda...very refined, but a little "too perfect."  If you like Honda-like smoothness with an upright seating position, the R1200R is pretty close to perfect.

The Griso was a little too tall for me.  For me, I need to flatfoot or else my overall riding confidence declines.  Plus, it didn't have ABS and since I am a relative noob, I would feel much more comfortable with ABS.

I ogled the R9T for months before I test-rode it.  The handling was precise, the throttle was punchy but linear, and it looks absolutely gorgeous.  The stock exhaust sounds amazing, too.  It rumbles, grumbles, and burbles and even does the torque-jacking to the right with throttle blips.  I'll admit they're about $3K overpriced, but for me, she was a keeper.  Nothing else had the combination of ride quality, appearance, fit, and fun for me. 

Still, I continue to dream.  All kinds of bikes out there I'd love to have in the garage.
2019 Triumph Speed Twin
2015 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
2001 Ducati 748 (work in progress)

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 10:33:37 AM »
I'll admit they're about $3K overpriced, but for me, she was a keeper.  Nothing else had the combination of ride quality, appearance, fit, and fun for me. 

2014 R Nine T models are showing up in the used market priced around $11,000 to $12,000. Not overpriced at that level IMO.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
Hi Sturgeon,

You know, I sat on the new r12r as I thought this bike was custom made for me...I actually found it too upright..I prefer a slight forward lean like on the r9t and the Griso.  Is the new r12 that much better than the 9t?  I would also fancy a spin on the new s1kr  :copcar:

Steve

You must have longer arms than I do. On my 04 R1150RT I was upright; on the R12R I lean forward, maybe about the same as the V7S, maybe a tad less.

As for which is better, I guess that depends on your personal preferences. I ended up loving and getting all the tech on the R12R after my test rides. BMW purists whine about the missing telelever; to me the dynamic suspension on the standard USD forks comes very close to mimicking the anti-dive on the telelever. The ability to set the throttle response to suit the situation is very nice. Some people will sneer at all the tech and proclaim that it'll be hell to fix, and liquid cooling is just some new-fangled invention, along with ABS, FI, etc, etc. I'm not among them. I've also tested both the S1000RR and the S1000XR. I quickly came to the conclusion that I liked the lower HP of the boxer with nearly the same torque. The shift assist is a joy to use, as is the wet clutch (never been all that fond of dry). The R12R has more suspension travel than the Nine, and its ABS is a bit more sophisticated.

But ask me again in August after I've put 10,000 km on it.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
I rode the NineT a few months ago after going to the BMW/Ducati dealership to ride the scrambler and see what the fuss was about. The scrambler is cheap, and it feels cheap. And for an "entry level" bike it has an absolutely vicious first gear.

The NineT was a revelation to me. Solid, great looking, TONS of torque way down low, extremely smooth and handles like a dream. On the downside it's not as comfortable like as Breva 1100, but on twisty roads it's probably more fun ultimately because it has more torque. I know I wouldn't want to do more than a few hundred miles on it at a time. And it's not the seat as much as it's the riding position, a bit leaned forward and cramped.

On the flipside, the guzzi is louder, less smooth, but it likes to rev more and rewards you for it, whereas the BMW kinda peters out at the top of the rev range. Also, the boxer engine made my vision blur at stoplights, something that I couldn't make stop. It feels mechanical, whereas the 90 degree twin in the guzzi has a cadence to it more akin to a heartbeat, which doesn't blur vision.

If I had the money, I would own both bikes. They are different enough that it'd be worth it and they are both excellent in their own right. Now I just need to go ride a Griso  :grin:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »

Just love John Fogerty !

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »
Yeah , more of a high performance ditch pump engine  :popcorn: :laugh:

Dusty

I got your hot rod ditch pump right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQDul5m8oEQ
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
I've been getting settled in to a new to me Griso for a couple of months now.  If you read this article I think it gets it right at least for the Griso:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/retro-roadster-shootout

If the Griso came delivered with a better map, better brake pads, and better spark plug caps (why?) I think it would have easily won that shootout.  All of those can be done for less than $300US total.  For ergo's I did Onar's 15mm risers and the KD 1" lower pegs and it is about as comfortable as any standard I've ever ridden. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
Hi Dilliw,

Thanks for the info and the link.

Steve

I've been getting settled in to a new to me Griso for a couple of months now.  If you read this article I think it gets it right at least for the Griso:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/retro-roadster-shootout

If the Griso came delivered with a better map, better brake pads, and better spark plug caps (why?) I think it would have easily won that shootout.  All of those can be done for less than $300US total.  For ergo's I did Onar's 15mm risers and the KD 1" lower pegs and it is about as comfortable as any standard I've ever ridden.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »
Didn't know there was a dealer in Mentor.  There are a number of Guzzi owners in the local area.  Hunt them down and go for a ride with them. :thumb:  Zoom Zoom is nearby.  They have a monthly breakfast meet also.

Yep, Phil is close, and I have been quite satisfied with them.  Tom, remember the H-D pic where you were on my 550? Phil is maybe a little less than a mile West of them on the same street, not too far from Jan.

John Henry

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here