Author Topic: So this is what all the fuss is about (Finally rode a Griso)  (Read 7377 times)

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
Re: So this is what all the fuss is about (my first MG experience)
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:12 PM »
Hi John Henry,

He's been selling MG's for a while now and he seems to know a lot about them.  Have you had any service work done by them?

Steve

Yep, Phil is close, and I have been quite satisfied with them.  Tom, remember the H-D pic where you were on my 550? Phil is maybe a little less than a mile West of them on the same street, not too far from Jan.

John Henry

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: So this is what all the fuss is about (Finally rode a Griso)
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 08:35:37 PM »
Yes, they replaced the headlight switch on my Stelvio under warranty. I have a center stand there waiting that is a recall item for it, and they will be doing the cam conversion in the near future. (Flat tappet to roller conversion.) Between me being lazy, and them moving the Mentor store a while back, I just never got round to the center stand thing. But, while the bike is in for the roller job, I'll get the center stand done then.

I had them do the first service on the 1400, and will probably have them do the next service which will be coming up soon. I have purchased a number of items from Guzzi accessories to oil, filters, misc. gaskets, etc. At some point, I'll start doing my own routine service on the 1400, but I have not as of yet. (Need to get a filter wrench.)

John Henry 

Offline desmoface

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Good deal - if I do pull the trigger on a griso, they will be doing all of the servicing, including fluid changes.  Since they are the only mg dealer around, I want to support them but I also have to feel comfortable with them.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Steve

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »
I've been getting settled in to a new to me Griso for a couple of months now.  If you read this article I think it gets it right at least for the Griso:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/retro-roadster-shootout

If the Griso came delivered with a better map, better brake pads, and better spark plug caps (why?) I think it would have easily won that shootout.  All of those can be done for less than $300US total.  For ergo's I did Onar's 15mm risers and the KD 1" lower pegs and it is about as comfortable as any standard I've ever ridden.

From the article, concerning the Griso: "Burns and I like the Guzzi a smidge more than the BMW for no better reason than we think it’s a little cooler, with a touch of the world’s-most-interesting-man-charisma the BMW just can’t match."

So, do all Griso owners need to take a one-way trip to Mars?  :evil:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: So this is what all the fuss is about (my first MG experience)
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 12:40:52 AM »
Yep, Phil is close, and I have been quite satisfied with them.  Tom, remember the H-D pic where you were on my 550? Phil is maybe a little less than a mile West of them on the same street, not too far from Jan.

John Henry

OH!   :tongue:  :laugh: Will have to drop in their next time, I'm renewing my Buckeye roots.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
Buy the Griso, load beetle's map, hang on for dear life and try to ride it without laughing out loud (FYI, not possible).
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 02:26:47 PM »
Well said.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 07:36:13 PM »
I own the Griso and CB1100. The video comparison was the closest to what I think the bikes are, but their score card is way off base on several of the catagories. But it boils down to what you want in a bike; these guys place a lot of stock on raw horsepower and Honda with the CB made it known that was not the focus on the CB. A very easy to ride machine was the main focus and they nailed it.

I have sat on but not ridden the RnineT so I'd have to go on what they said about it. It's a good looking machine but I prefer the looks of the Griso (I have the Tenni Green one, damn fine looking bike). In town I much prefer taking the CB out. It's lighter handling, very torquie and a joy in the tight twisty bits. The Griso is a bit more truck like in that regard. Beetle et. al. map does improve things. Out on the open road the Griso really shines (although on a trip to Death Valley last fall the CB did better than I expected), my only complaint - her gas tank is too small or her mileage is too low or both. More range would be nice. Stock seat, for my bum sucks rocks. Russell Day Long saves the day there.

Since they are so different it's great to have both. When I feel like a nut - Griso, when I don't - CB. That said, if forced to have one bike I think the CB would get the nod for me. It's just a better all around motorcycle, the Griso is a bit too focused. I've threatened to sell the Griso on several occasions but she is still here; that says something too.  :grin:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 08:08:31 PM »
One thing I remember about my Griso is that after riding it I always heard that Muddy Waters song in my head: "I'm a Man, I spell M . . . A . . . N."   

It makes every ride a memorable experience, but sometimes you just want a motorcycle to take you someplace, not necessarily demand as much effort and attention as the Griso.  For that reason, it's difficult to justify as the bike in a one motorcycle garage.

And yet I'm considering it.  At $11,500 brand new, that's a great value for a timeless, high quality, and thrilling piece of art on wheels.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here