Author Topic: Speeding ticket  (Read 9793 times)

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
Re: Speeding ticket
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
Guess it gets boring being a traffic cop...
car
car
truck
car
bike
car
.‎
after a while..
.‎
you get bored
.‎
You'd want to collect the rare ones like you were playing Pokomon Go

write your list. share your list with your work mates put a wager on it $20

Ferarri
Lambo
porsche‎
Limo
Humvee
18 wheeler
UPS van‎
side car outfit

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »
if you do go to court and the charging officer is not there it will be dismissed.(in MN). so you have a chance he's on duty somewhere and can't make the ct date.. happened to me.. I had to wait all afternoon while the other defendants went thru but the cop never showed and at the end of court hours the judge dismissed the speeding ticket..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 06:06:01 PM »
if you do go to court and the charging officer is not there it will be dismissed.(in MN). so you have a chance he's on duty somewhere and can't make the ct date.. happened to me.. I had to wait all afternoon while the other defendants went thru but the cop never showed and at the end of court hours the judge dismissed the speeding ticket..

That's true in Kailf. too, maybe other states.  If I think a ticket I get is bogus and I can fight it pleading not guilty I do.   Gotten out of a lot of tickets that way.  But now am a less aggressive rider/driver so less probable I'll get pulled over.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:52:58 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »
Yeah, I know, I buried my mother in law after a drunk driver killed her.  I have buried friends from drunk drivers.  I killed a drunk when he ran out in front of me. 

Yet the $41 billion paid in taxes each year keep alcohol legal. Bittersweet laws. 

A good lawyer is all that was required to get away with murder.

I don't see how the alcohol is the problem, though.  The problem is the 0.08% of the people who feel the entitlement, lack the personal responsibility, or lack the judgement that puts them in control of a deadly device while impaired.  Removing legal alcohol doesn't affect any of that -- we've tried. 

The only ways we as individuals can help fix the problem is to 1) not be part of it, and 2) don't cut the offenders any slack.  Don't enable, encourage, condone, or commiserate with them.  Don't let them use "it's not my drinking it's the rules about my drinking" or "I have the RIGHT to drink and drive, or "I only drink and drive responsibly", or "It's the cop's fault -- he's just looking for revenue" or [insert lame excuse here].  It's the whiner's fault, 100%, and he deserves it.  The sooner society as a whole gets the message that we think they had it coming and we're not going to help them rationalize it, and the sooner the system reflects societal disapproval, the sooner the problem really will get solved.

RANT OFF, $0.02.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
That's the way I read it too Lannis. I don't have the style to carry it off like Tex so I'm stuck with the mercy of the court

If it's allowed, you might be able to defer the ticket.  You pay the cost of the fine but you're put on administrative/judicial probation for a period of time.  The ticket is tossed if no other moving violations are issued to you.  Check the judiciary web page for the state where you got the ticket.  You still have to make a court appearance.  Some jurisdictions will allow you to do it by phone.

I've done it for a ticket given to me in Grant County, WA.  Court appearance by phone from Hawaii.  It does take time and persistence.  PM me if you're interested.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
Install Waze.
Saved about 4 tickets today...
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Fuzzy

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »
I don't see how the alcohol is the problem, though.  The problem is the 0.08% of the people who feel the entitlement, lack the personal responsibility, or lack the judgement that puts them in control of a deadly device while impaired.  Removing legal alcohol doesn't affect any of that -- we've tried. 

:1: :1:

maybe then we can talk about why it is OK to go 79 in a 55 with a wink and a nod from the gang (highly skilled though they are)  :police:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 09:16:04 PM »
There's no line to be drawn between my 0.08 comment and these two speeding tickets being discussed.  No impairment was involved, and the recipients aren't trying to make it anyone's fault but their own.  The comment was in response to someone saying that removing the alcohol tax (or reinstitution prohibition -- I'm not real sure which) would solve the problem of impaired driving.  I was pointing out that it's not substance problem, it's a people problem.

But to answer why we can haze the OP about the ticket -- it's because he's owning the ticket, that's why.  He's not blaming the system/law enforcement/taxes/revenue/corruption for his behavior.  The responses show that we prefer someone who accepts the consequences of his actions.  Nobody likes a whiner who blames everyone but himself for what he does.

Fuzzy

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 09:50:29 PM »
Sure there is. It is irresponsible behavior in a space that is shared with others. It's dangerous, regardless of skill level. You are right, you didn't draw the line, but I did. And he is doing the right thing by accepting responsibility and saying he learned from the experience.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 10:57:32 PM »
I agree that both involve irresponsible behavior, but the context was being busted for impairment and comparing reactions after getting caught, and the thought that removing alcohol from society would somehow raise the bar on common sense.  There's just not a straight line between that and these speeding tickets.

I think the topics this weekend were posted as cautionary tales -- "I did some speeding over the second-most heavily enforced driving weekend of the year and got caught -- don't be me."  We post the same stories about bonehead moves in other areas -- mechanics, wrong turn, not dressed for the weather, etc., most with the moral of "Don't do that, or suffer the consequences."  If we can take that away with us here and note the good grace of the recipients, then we benefit from their experience, and that's a good thing.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 06:18:08 AM »
Wait guys, Chuck got a ticket too and his was way worse than mine, they took pictures and everything !
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 07:48:05 AM »
 All I can say is you should be able to plead not guilty and ask to see the assistant DA...Many times they will reduce the charges right there on the spot if you have a clean record ....You have nothing to lose but a little time....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 08:01:46 AM »
:1: :1:

maybe then we can talk about why it is OK to go 79 in a 55 with a wink and a nod from the gang (highly skilled though they are)  :police:

The cop, I suspect, knows as well as we do that speed alone is not a danger.    We have to have speed limits or people would be running 130 if their car would do it, but the cop and the judge certainly have discretion (speeding in traffic?   Speed differential?   Weaving around?  etc) to decide if one properly dressed and carefully riding guy was a danger in the specific situation in which he was caught.   Different from DUI - only a drunk would say that he's as safe a driver drunk as anybody else is sober .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Fuzzy

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 08:27:57 AM »
Wait guys, Chuck got a ticket too and his was way worse than mine, they took pictures and everything !
Heh heh, that's really what I was referring to. I crossed threads. It is the radon! Or the gin! Or maybe it is Colorado stuff rather than Oregon or Rodekyll Red (which I use only when walking, I swear Mr. D.A.!).

Although Lannis really hits on the difference. That when your tire blows at 80 mph the careful skilled guy is more likely to be able to control it from a really bad result.

Must be some karmic reason these threads started at the sale time. Telling us all to be safe and responsible. We are in control of that. I don't think it is cute to not take advantage of that.

if I was a believer, I would thank god every night for all the times I drove impaired or blotto when I was a kid and 1) made it to this age, and b) never caused vehicular harm. Dumb luck.

I hardly even speed any more. I am just happy to be riding, couldn't afford a big ticket, and even ride a small block. Simpler pleasures.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
John A, PM sent. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
Hell 79 MPH ain't worth bragging about. 

I'd be embarrassed about my tuneup!  We'll cut John A some slack, once I was following him running 13-1 slugs with avation gas ...... The stuff smells sweet when it burns.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
I just looked at the ticket, it was 84. I'm going to plead not guilty, not because I wasn't guilty, when I was passing the string of cars and saw him , coiled in the underbrush , I decided to abort the pass. The cars were too close together to get back in line and I wasn't going to dynamite the brakes in the middle of the oncoming lane so I fire walled it and the indecision caused me to not complete the pass in the allowed space. There was no oncoming traffic and as soon as I cleared the cars I shut down and pulled over to wait for the trooper.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
That was kind of the scenario with my speeding ticket in Yakima County, WA.  A hay truck (losing hay -- ouch!) was playing with me -- doing 25 and 30, drifting over the centerline when I tried to pass or speeding up as I started my passing maneuver, and did it for many miles with the driver and passenger both clearly watching me in their side mirrors.  I finally got around him, and he was accelerating to keep me from getting back into the lane.  So I goosed it and flew by the waiting sheriff.  I could see the sheriff parked up ahead, but I was more interested in completing the maneuver before getting plastered by oncoming traffic.  The truck was just as determined to keep me in the oncoming lane.  When I explained the situation to the deputy, he said "Yeah, those boys like to have fun", and printed the ticket on the portable inkjet printer in his back seat.

I pled guilty with an explanation and did the deferral option, which was available to me on account of I had nothing at all on my driving record.  I wrote a letter (posted it here, iirc), and the judge complimented my writing style, fined me, added an 'administrative fee' for the remote adjudication (I did it from Alaska), and told me that if I could stay out of trouble in the state of Washington for the next year the incident would 'go away'. 

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2016, 11:02:24 AM »
I just looked at the ticket, it was 84. I'm going to plead not guilty, not because I wasn't guilty, when I was passing the string of cars and saw him , coiled in the underbrush , I decided to abort the pass. The cars were too close together to get back in line and I wasn't going to dynamite the brakes in the middle of the oncoming lane so I fire walled it and the indecision caused me to not complete the pass in the allowed space. There was no oncoming traffic and as soon as I cleared the cars I shut down and pulled over to wait for the trooper.

Guilty! you cannot pass unless it's safe to do it...You were speeding to pass a line of cars so it wasn't a safe pass....Make an appointment to see the DA....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
A hay truck (losing hay -- ouch!) was playing with me -- doing 25 and 30, drifting over the centerline when I tried to pass or speeding up as I started my passing maneuver, and did it for many miles with the driver and passenger both clearly watching me in their side mirrors.  I finally got around him, and he was accelerating to keep me from getting back into the lane.  ........  The truck was just as determined to keep me in the oncoming lane.  When I explained the situation to the deputy, he said "Yeah, those boys like to have fun", and printed the ticket on the portable inkjet printer in his back seat......

I hate when that happens, but it does happen.   Inbred hillbillies threatening you with their 10,000 pound kinetic energy weapon, and a corrupt cop and judge condoning it, probably laughing about it up their sleeves .... Maybe they'll get a bad batch of oxycodone and all be gone, but that's probably too much to hope for ....

Lannis

Red Dog

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »
I have so many stories about being stopped.

My oldest brother was a local cop. 
I'd get stopped & the LEO would look at my name & say "You got a brother on the force"?
I'd say: "No" & they would write me a ticket.
Then I'd say "Hey do you know XXXX that's my brother say hey to him for me, OK?".
Sometimes they would look at me and ask "Why didn't you say so"?
I'd say "That way I don't owe anybody".

I hear that in Georgia 20 over is considered a super speeder & they can impound the vehicle & arrest the violator.

My last stop in Florida was for 25 over by a city cop but he wrote for me 9 over.  Attitude can sometimes help.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2016, 11:47:26 AM »
Here in Kansas I have been given great leiency on the bikes by both state troopers and deputies. I have met them numerous times at 10-20 over and have either been ignored or just got the slow down wave or the light blip. But these meetings have almost always occurred in very open, rural areas with generally not another vehicle in sight and in good weather.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
I hate when that happens, but it does happen.   Inbred hillbillies threatening you with their 10,000 pound kinetic energy weapon, and a corrupt cop and judge condoning it, probably laughing about it up their sleeves .... Maybe they'll get a bad batch of oxycodone and all be gone, but that's probably too much to hope for ....

Lannis

Don't go putting THOSE kinds of words in my mouth.

I by NO stretch of imagination implied that the deputy or the judge was corrupt.  That's the kind of middle-school-detention quality argument that I'm complaining about -- distract the jury from the fact that I was speeding by blaming it on the corrupt hillbillies running the county I'm riding through.  Grow up.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »
Don't go putting THOSE kinds of words in my mouth.

I by NO stretch of imagination implied that the deputy or the judge was corrupt.  That's the kind of middle-school-detention quality argument that I'm complaining about -- distract the jury from the fact that I was speeding by blaming it on the corrupt hillbillies running the county I'm riding through.  Grow up.

No, wasn't trying to put words into your mouth.   

The fact was (per your posting) that a couple of guys were trying to use a truck to force you into the oncoming traffic lane, presumably with the intention of killing you if they could; or if not, being so woefully ignorant or impaired that they didn't think about the consequences of their actions.

The cop, when informed, said "Oh, that's just some ol' boys playing around" or something to that effect.   And the judge didn't care one way or the other.   

That's how a lot of people die.   I know that sort; grew up around many of them, this place I've chosen to live isn't perfect .... You don't have to react to them, but that's how I react; I recognize the danger to us, the riders, in their attitudes.   Been living with it, yet surviving it, all my riding life.

Lannis 

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »
In Kalif, if you plead 'guilty w/ explanation', no matter what you say then is going to change your guilty charge/cost.  You just hung yourself.  Only way to get a reduction in fine or off the hook is to plead 'not guilty'.

However, some counties, in Kalif., after you plead 'not guilty' will plea bargain with you on what the $ penalty will be if you change your mind while still in the courtroom.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
No contest out here is the same as guilty.  State statutes say to treat as guilty.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »
No, wasn't trying to put words into your mouth.   

The fact was (per your posting) that a couple of guys were trying to use a truck to force you into the oncoming traffic lane, presumably with the intention of killing you if they could; or if not, being so woefully ignorant or impaired that they didn't think about the consequences of their actions.

The cop, when informed, said "Oh, that's just some ol' boys playing around" or something to that effect.   And the judge didn't care one way or the other.   

That's how a lot of people die.   I know that sort; grew up around many of them, this place I've chosen to live isn't perfect .... You don't have to react to them, but that's how I react; I recognize the danger to us, the riders, in their attitudes.   Been living with it, yet surviving it, all my riding life.

Lannis 

Nothing I said implied your twisted conclusion.  This is pure, classic lannisvision, and it does not spring from my comments.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »
Nothing I said implied your twisted conclusion.  This is pure, classic lannisvision, and it does not spring from my comments.

All right, all right, you can stop shaking your cane at me ... I'll get out of your yard .....

Lannis

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »
Never got pulled over while on the Hayabusa, only warning lights as they passed by the other way.  :thumb:

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2016, 08:51:11 PM »
In Kalif, if you plead 'guilty w/ explanation', no matter what you say then is going to change your guilty charge/cost.  You just hung yourself.  Only way to get a reduction in fine or off the hook is to plead 'not guilty'.

However, some counties, in Kalif., after you plead 'not guilty' will plea bargain with you on what the $ penalty will be if you change your mind while still in the courtroom.

Guilty with an explanation, yep you just tied the judges hands.  There isn't a No Contest plea for an infraction.
Believe me, the Judge hearing traffic, doesn't want to be hearing traffic.  He wants to be on the O.J. case, or some good criminal or civil case, not traffic.
It is boring for them, most people don't prepare a defense, research the section in relation to the violation or the elements of the violation.
Once in a while someone does, and you can see the Judge actually sit up a little, " Hey now, this person has done some homework..."

You can flame me all you want, but I have had many conversations with various Judges over the years, and Guilty, Guilty, Guilty gets old.
Remember, innocent until proven guilty......it still works, but you gotta do your homework.

....but if you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar, man up and take it....

kjf

ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here