Author Topic: Why Grass-Fed Butter Is One of the Healthiest Fats on the Planet:  (Read 11172 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Why Grass-Fed Butter Is One of the Healthiest Fats on the Planet:
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
Good point Sas, what makes better eggs, bacon grease or butter?

Butter!  It does leave a burnt brown color on the eggs but the taste is much more to my liking.
 I consider taste to be more important than looks.  And the pan it cleaned while hot by adding a few ounces of water to steam it clean and wiping with paper towels.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2016, 06:52:15 AM »
When I was growing up, the 'smart' people were eating margarine instead of butter.   There was some science behind it and it's still an open question as to which is better for you (http://www.health.harvard.edu/nutrition/butter-vs-margarine).  But the margarine proponents at the time didn't know of the risk of trans fats.  So I'm very happy knowing that what I think I know can all be upended over time.  For now I like what Michael Pollan says: Eat Food (food grows and rots and would be recognized as food by someone's great grandmother), not too much, mostly plants with a lot of leaves. I am REALLY bad at the leaves part.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »
From the Center for Disease Control (CDC)
National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System for Enteric Bacteria (NARMS)
https://www.cdc.gov/narms/faq.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/livestock-antibiotics-sales_us_585d48ade4b0de3a08f508e8
"Sales Of Livestock Antibiotics Are Still Growing"
Doctors say the overuse of antibiotics on farms presents a massive public health risk.

"Even as scientists sound the alarm that overusing antibiotics on farms is contributing to the spread of antibiotic-resistant superbugs, sales continue to rise.
All told, agriculture is responsible for about 70 percent of the nation�s total antibiotics sales.
According to new data released by the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday, the sale of antimicrobial drugs approved for food-producing animals rose an additional 1 percent between 2014 and 2015.
The increase comes despite the FDA�s recent efforts to urge the agricultural industry to voluntarily phase out its �sub-therapeutic� use of antibiotics for livestock, typically used to plump up animals and prevent disease rather than to treat illnesses.
Researchers believe the widespread use of antibiotics on livestock is putting humans at risk of �superbugs� ― like a rare antibiotic-resistant gene that Ohio State University researchers identified at a U.S. pig farm in a study published earlier this month."
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:54:01 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2016, 04:06:23 PM »
 So does eating meat from animals treated with antibiotics plump up people, or prevent disease in them?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2016, 04:06:23 PM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2016, 06:26:03 AM »
I understand the antibiotics in animals are not those used in people. So maybe it will be udderly unpredictable!

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:13 AM »
I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but I think antibiotics are somewhat unique in that their pharmaceutical properties aren't intended for you, but rather for the bug you've got.

But either way, if I'm right, the main problem is not the effect from antibiotics delivered in the carcass, but from the antibiotic resistant disease organisms bred in the feedlot environment.  Nietsche may have been thinking of  antibiotic resistance when he reportedly wrote "what does not kill me, makes me stronger."

It seems like a collective crime against humanity, but there may be a bright side.  I have a vague suspicion that routine use of antibiotics may be part of the reason for a rise in auto-immune / allergy disorders, so ... if antibiotics become useless thanks to the meat industry, maybe in a few generations more people will grow up with their intestinal flora intact and we'll see if that matters.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »

It seems like a collective crime against humanity, but there may be a bright side.  I have a vague suspicion that routine use of antibiotics may be part of the reason for a rise in auto-immune / allergy disorders, so ... if antibiotics become useless thanks to the meat industry, maybe in a few generations more people will grow up with their intestinal flora intact and we'll see if that matters.

Circadian rhythms and the microbiome: Disrupting daily routine of gut microbes can be bad news for whole body

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/25/disrupting-daily-routine-of-gut-microbes-can-throw-off-your-circadian-rhythms_partner/
Red 90 Mille GT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here