Author Topic: NGC fresh ground coffee  (Read 9473 times)

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
Re: NGC fresh ground coffee
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
I grind Gevalia french roast beans in a 70's Norelco grinder. Got the grinder off fleabay. Gevalia is very dark coffee. Then that goes into a Keurig in a generic cup and presto - good coffee.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 10:55:48 AM »
100% Kona or Kau,  cat poop coffee be damned.

Need to get my roaster fixed. I miss having fresh roasted Kona.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
Need to get my roaster fixed. I miss having fresh roasted Kona.

In the meantime, pick up a popcorn popper from a charity shop - one that blows air around - does 100 grams at a time. No real control over the roast, but for the price, you can make do.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 12:35:28 PM »
I love coffee! It is one of my basic food groups. Often, it is my breakfast. However, freshly ground beans are a distant memory. (Verismo and Keurig pods are what I usually use.) I need to get myself another grinder and a French press...

Big Thumbs Up on the French Press. 

Do not pre-grind and store a bunch of coffee beans in advance (flavor escapes).  Instead Burr-Grind them (not whirl or "blend"-grind) freshly for each pot just prior to using them.

What is a "burr grinder" in the first place?  It uses two opposing mill wheels ("burrs") to crumble the whole beans into uniform-sized granules.  This occurs at relative low speed (cooler for the beans, quieter for you).

Cheap, blender type grinders use a high-speed whirling blade.  Lots of noise and coffee dust are the result.

Here's a 4-star burr grinder for $23 at Amazon (French press coffee makers are about $25):

http://tinyurl.com/yaqdb722

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 12:35:28 PM »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »
Big Thumbs Up on the French Press. 

Do not pre-grind and store a bunch of coffee beans in advance (flavor escapes).  Instead Burr-Grind them (not whirl or "blend"-grind) freshly for each pot just prior to using them.

What is a "burr grinder" in the first place?  It uses two opposing mill wheels ("burrs") to crumble the whole beans into uniform-sized granules.  This occurs at relative low speed (cooler for the beans, quieter for you).

Cheap, blender type grinders use a high-speed whirling blade.  Lots of noise and coffee dust are the result.

Here's a 4-star burr grinder for $23 at Amazon (French press coffee makers are about $25):

http://tinyurl.com/yaqdb722

'Geezer

I like that idea!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
Here's what I am going to try next:

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2017, 01:56:29 PM »
Well, that's no good then is it?   :laugh:   :laugh:

Lannis

I like coffee with a natural moderate amount of caffeine...Not the amphetamine  level .... :laugh:

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 02:04:55 PM »
Over the last 3 or 4 years I must have tried every brand of coffee that the local grocery store carries, trying my best to avoid the $20.00 a pound designer label coffee's, and I wasn't impressed with DD coffee either. Since I favor a strong bold dark roast, a few months back I tried this Costco brand Kirklands Signature 100% Colombian Supremo Dark Roast Fine Ground. Its a fantastic coffee and I've been buying it ever since. It makes the perfect cup of coffee and comes in a 3 LBS can for around $10.00. Sometimes the least likely will surprise you.... but not often.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »
I have a burr grinder (grain mill) for my kitchenaid.  They can be had for ~$30 or less on ebay and last forever.  The grinder is adjustable to suit your method of brewing, and the attachment also works to make grain flours and to grind nuts.  There are new issue and "classic" kitchenaid grinder attachments.  The classics are all metal.  The current production has plastic.  Mine was probably new in the 1930s and still works perfectly.

Like someone said above, grinding slowly keeps the grind most consistent and flavor best.  I grind on the slowest setting.  I claim I can taste a more acidy, oily finish in fast-ground and impact-type grinds.  The mill/burr type also grinds and drops the grit in a one-way flow -- the ground beans never return to the hopper so they are abused less and have a more uniform size.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
I don't have a problem with most of the above. But.. in the morning, "I want coffee, and I want it now."  :smiley: A Keurig gets that job done in less than a minute. Depending on what coffee you use, it can be pretty good.
I prefer a French press or an Aero press, and do that when camping, but for every day?
"I want coffee, and I want it now."
:smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
In the meantime, pick up a popcorn popper from a charity shop - one that blows air around - does 100 grams at a time. No real control over the roast, but for the price, you can make do.

I've done that.  It's a good way to go when it works, but it doesn't work with every popper, the ones that do work may need to be modified to defeat the thermal cut-off, and then eventually in my experience they burn out.  For an emergency solution, heat guns work out of the box, seem to be more robust and are easy to find.  Not as easy to use, for sure.

In defense of good grinders ... I bought a Nuova Simonelli grinder years ago, kind of a miniature of a commercial espresso grinder, and I guess I've come to expect that thing to last effectively "forever".  One of these days i guess I will look into replacing or resharpening the burrs, whatever one does with these things.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
The Bunn 10 cup we just got has a spray system rather than conventional drip.  4 scoops works great for 10 cups, 4/1/2 or heaping scoops are too strong. 

This one keeps warm water in it all the times and takes 3 minutes to brew the pot.   The water poured replaces the water being brewed.

So far it's much better than Mr Coffee.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »
I have a burr grinder (grain mill) for my kitchenaid.  They can be had for ~$30 or less on ebay and last forever.  The grinder is adjustable to suit your method of brewing, and the attachment also works to make grain flours and to grind nuts.  There are new issue and "classic" kitchenaid grinder attachments.  The classics are all metal.  The current production has plastic.  Mine was probably new in the 1930s and still works perfectly.

Like someone said above, grinding slowly keeps the grind most consistent and flavor best.  I grind on the slowest setting.  I claim I can taste a more acidy, oily finish in fast-ground and impact-type grinds.  The mill/burr type also grinds and drops the grit in a one-way flow -- the ground beans never return to the hopper so they are abused less and have a more uniform size.

To try what you said.... Instead of using the rotary blade electric grinder, I ground the beans  using a vintage table mount hand crank grinder..( my wife has about 10 of them). The coffee has a slightly different taste,a bit milder and smoother...

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »
 :thumb:

I've found that the size of the grind matters -- the different sizes release their goodness differently.  Larger seems better in a drip or press, smaller seems better in a pressurized system.  I couldn't get uniform sized grit from the impact grinders.  Some would be a powder and some would be chunks.  I like the finest grounds I can get the water through for whatever method of brewing I'm using.  I have magic marker spots on the adjuster knob for my favorite sizes.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here