Author Topic: Where do you live?  (Read 11845 times)

Bill Hagan

Re: Where do you live?
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »
I was born in Essex, but moved to Leeds for university, and got stuck. It 's England's fourth or fifth biggest city (it keeps playing leapfrog with Sheffield) and is in West Yorkshire. The city's not much to look at, but the countryside to the east, north and west is beautiful, as is the coast. I'm not far from the northern edge, so escape is easy.
When I was hitching around the States in 1971 I found that an awful lot more people knew of Leeds than had when I'd been hitching around in 69. "You're from Leeds! Wow, Live in Leeds".
And Bill, the Fairfax family is from Yorkshire. I'm a member of a Royal Arch Chapter named after the family. The twelfth Lord came over to England for a while and became the First Principal.

Trite to say "small world," but such it is ... well, unless you walk it.   :wink:

And, heck, we are almost relatives.   :grin:

Certainly was unaware of the 12th Lord --  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fairfax,_12th_Lord_Fairfax_of_Cameron -- who did, I suppose, albeit a few decades too late, resolve that whole "No taxation without representation" thing.   :laugh:

And, as you know, the Sixth Lord --  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Fairfax,_6th_Lord_Fairfax_of_Cameron -- is daily fare here.  I go by his tomb, Greenway, and White Post at least once a week.

Still, were it not for the Revolution, I'd still be paying six "shillings sterling money" every year for those 342 acres of waste land along Opequon Creek!

Here's one of the two grants:

"The Right Honourable Thomas Lord Fairfax Baron of Cameron in that part of Great Britain called Scotland, Proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia: To all to whom this present writing shall come sends greeting. Know ye that for good causes for and in consideration of the composition to me paid and for the annual rent hereinafter reserved I have given granted and confirmed and by these presents do give grant and confirm unto James Hagan of Frederick County a certain tract of waste and ungranted land on the west side of Opeckon on the drains of the same in the said County and bounded as by a survey thereof made by Mr. Thomas Rutherford. Beginning at three pines [1] on the side of a hill corner to John Abrill and John Thomas thence with Thomas's line South 65 degrees 30 minutes West one hundred and forty four poles to a Spanish oak [2] on a hill, then North 48 degrees West one hundred and twenty two poles to a stooping black oak [3] corner to Thomas extending thence South 42 degrees West sixty four poles to a black oak [4] at Mary Littlers line then with the same South 48 degrees East one hundred and twenty eight poles to a pine [5] and white oak at the head of a drain Littlers corner then North 42 degrees East seven poles to two pines [6] and a black oak corner to David Gilkey then with his line South 48 degrees East one hundred and twenty poles to two pines [7] corner to Gilkey and Reason Reagan extending North 35 degrees East one hundred and thirty two poles to a pine [8] and hiccory on the side of a hill then North 81 degrees East thirty six poles to a white oak [9] and Spanish oak near the side of a branch at John Abril's line then North 23 degrees West eighty poles to the beginning Containing one hundred and fifty nine acres Together with all rights members and appurtenances thereunto belonging Royal mines excepted and a full third part of all lead copper tinn coals iron mines and iron ore that shall be found thereon. To have and to hold the said one hundred and fifty nine acres of land together with all rights profits and benefits to the same belonging or in any wise appertaining except before excepted to him the said James Hagan his heirs and assigns forever. He the said James Hagan his heirs and assigns therefore yielding and paying to me my heirs or assigns or to my certain attorney or attornies agent or agents or to the certain attorney or attornies of my heirs or assigns Proprietors of the said Northern Neck yearly and every year on the Feast Day of Saint Michael the Arch Angel the fee rent of one shilling sterling money for every fifty acres of land hereby granted and so proportionably for a greater or lesser quantity. Provided that if the said James Hagan his heirs or assigns shall not pay the said reserved annual rent as aforesaid so that the same or any part thereof shall be behind or unpaid for the space of two whole years after the same shall become due if legally demanded that then it shall and may be lawful for me my heirs or assigns Proprietors as aforesaid my or their certain attorney or attornies agent or agents into the above granted premises to reenter and hold the same so as if this grant had never passed. Given at my office in the County of Frederick under my hand and seal. Dated this eighth day of June in the third year of His Majesty King George the Third's Reign. A.D. 1763. Fairfax"

Best wishes,

Cousin Bill

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
Attorneys apparently have always been a little wordy, so you get it honestly.  :smiley: That's a great document, Bill..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
I live a mile from here:

Every time for the last week when I pull up this thread, I get hung up on this picture.

That is really a beautiful motorcycle and fairing combination.   Exactly what model of loop and what brand of fairing is that .... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
Bill, if there are any rent arrears owing to the Fairfax family, send it to me and I'll see it's paid into Chapter funds.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »
 There are many places that I would rather live than below the Oroville dam.  They are about to experience a plentiful water supply that should remove any complaints about a drought in California.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
Fay mixed all the mortar for 1200 block and 8000 brick by hand ... talk about muscle definition after those two summers it took us ... !!!

Lannis

Lannis.... your wife is a hoddie!  :grin:
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
Lannis.... your wife is a hoddie!  :grin:

Hadn't thought of it that way ... guess you're right!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
I live here. 

..and I have a similar sign at the end of my gravel driveway. Doesn't seem to work very well for me, though.
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »
I live just outside of Ft. Madison, Iowa 1/2 mile from the Mississippi river.

It has a replica wooden fort that the town was named after.

It has the longest swing span bridge in the world.

This is looking back after entering my driveway from the paved road.

This is looking forward to the to the recently redone section of my driveway.

This is coming up on that last bend at the end of my driveway.

The driveway is a real pain in the butt sometimes, but its better than it used to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnUc6YAfTmY&index=2&list=PL1ruV8lADIm3-RAz5jFcPt9MDeLqATn1N  :bike-037:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here