Author Topic: New competitor for the V7  (Read 10886 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: New competitor for the V7
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
Owned a new VSRCR; sold it a year later, and purchased a new Buell XB12Stt...no regrets as I still have the Buell

The nearly 200 lbs weight reduction was nice with the change, no? 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »
You have to admire HD as a brand, they are pretty popular here in NZ.

Would I buy one - nah been bitten by the Guzzi bug [emoji220]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
Doesn't that just mean they've gone from a 38mm to a 42mm throttle body, and from a single injector to dual injectors?
It might be what they meant, but it's sloppy or misleading.

Port injection by definition is at least one injector at EACH intake port.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline aschem

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
The nearly 200 lbs weight reduction was nice with the change, no?
Sure was; it was the major reason why I sold the VRSCR.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
Rocker, we were wondering. From CW:

"Dual-throat throttle bodies and separate intake manifolds feed each of the heads, vs. the Street’s single throttle body. Intake ports are revised, and higher-lift cams allow these benefits to be taken advantage of. Compression is increased a full point to 12.0:1."

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2017, 08:41:54 PM »
The knife and fork rods are featured on the 45 degree bigger Harley engines- Twin Cam, Milwaukee 8, Sportster etc.

These smaller Revolution models have little in common with their bigger siblings.  They are 60 degree, water-cooled twins with a single pin crank and rods side-by-side.  Both a 500CC and a 750CC model are made. They have been on the market for about 3 years now and have not set many sales records in the US.

They are very inexpensive bikes designed for that sort of market.  Harley production facilities in India produce the bike for that and other non-North American markets. US and Canadian Revolution bikes are produced in their Kansas City MO plant ( I am not sure about where the castings come from).

I rode one of the 750's hard last year at Daytona and I was favorably impressed.  The trimmings of the bike seem cheap to me but the bike is a cheap bike. It was smooth ( a little too smooth for me), quick revving, handled well and offered suitable power.

I snapped an image of this attractive custom done up by a dealer in Georgia-

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
Rocker, we were wondering. From CW:

"Dual-throat throttle bodies and separate intake manifolds feed each of the heads, vs. the Street’s single throttle body. Intake ports are revised, and higher-lift cams allow these benefits to be taken advantage of. Compression is increased a full point to 12.0:1."
Cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2017, 11:37:43 PM »
My son had a guy come in to his work recently. He heard the bike pull up and sure enough, in walked a "biker". He had all the gear, assless chaps, do-rag, German helmet and all the leathers and plenty of tats. After discussing the guys power steering questions the son, (who has and has had numerous Sportys went out to have a look. There was a Harley street 500 in all it's glory. He said he found it very hard to keep a straight face. :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »
Yes, they have done a serious update to the bike this year.  Engine, brakes, frame and suspension have been revised.  Puts out a claimed 68.4 HP @ 8750 RPM, 47.2 pound-feet @ 4000 RPM.

http://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-street-rod-750-cruiser-first-look-review

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:13:02 PM by leafman60 »

Lcarlson

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
Sorry I sold this one --

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »
So, are the Sportster guys back on hind teat again?  :grin: They'll be insufferable  :evil:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »
So, are the Sportster guys back on hind teat again?  :grin: They'll be insufferable  :evil:
Why would they be?

They occupy a position between the Street models and BTs. They offer something a little different than both.

And if they care about suspension and brakes there's the CX Roadster.

I like this new Street Rod, but I'm still hoping to buy a CX.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
The pinnacle of Harley design, simplicity, rideability, and coolness:

I'd have one of these in a second and ride it everywhere.   I had one once and loved it.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:36 AM »
I like the new Street Rod, though not enough to sell one of my current stable to get one, but, I do like it.

The ergos look to be just about perfect for my tastes.   It's a good looking bike, and, from the numbers, it looks like the performance is right in line with the types of bikes that I enjoy.

Grab 'em while you can, as, this will be another XR1200(X) for H.D., at least in the US, because, like that bike, it doesn't fit their normal demographic.     I have to give H.D. kudos for trying to reach outside their normal demographic.  I hope it sells well, and encourages H.D. to build more bikes outside the typical feet-forward cruiser demographic.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »

I like the new Street Rod, though not enough to sell one of my current stable to get one, but, I do like it.

Yeah I was discussing this bike on the XL forum and looking at the predicted HP/torque numbers got me to look closer at the Street 750 dyno charts.

Turns out CW had overlayed the Street 750 and Monster 696 dyno charts already and found them very close.

Though the base 750 peaks and drops off lower, the Street Rod may match the 696. Not bad.

I'm not sure if it will go away like the CAR as it may just better appeal to the market being smaller and lighter and cheaper than the "half-pregnant" XR.

If anything I expect it to outlast the CX I want.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »

I'd have one of these in a second and ride it everywhere.   I had one once and loved it.

Lannis

More than one aftermarket supplier offers parts from which you can entirely build one of those.

It won't be genuine H-D, though.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:50:59 AM by leafman60 »

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
There's a Street 750 running around in Austin that's been turbo charged.  I've talked with the owner.  Says he makes 100 hp at the rear wheel on the dyno.

the question isn't "how much", it's "how long".   :violent1:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
More than one aftermarket supplier offers parts from which you can entirely build one of those.

It won't be genuine H-D, though.

I wouldn't care about that "genuine" thing.  You can do the same thing with ABSAF components for a BSA DBD34 Gold Star.   Or a Vincent Rapide, for that matter, although the Vincent probably can't be done for cheaper than an original (which can be had for $45 - $55K).

You could also sneak in a few upgrades in the materials, brake components, ignition, lights, etc and still it would take an expert to notice....

Lannis

kirby1923

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »

Lannis

Perfect!

This floods my mind with great memories of wind in my hair and bugs on my teeth!!

:-)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:50:18 PM by kirby1923 »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:41 PM »
Perfect!

This floods my mind with great memories of wind in my hair and bugs on my teeth!!

We didn't take many pictures back i' them days, what with Louis Daguerre being real busy when we needed plates developed, but here's my only one of me and 54FLE-1814, in Blacksburg Virginia after a lovely weekend, getting ready to ride back to school 150 miles away on a sunny afternoon in 1974 or 75.

Windshield that day, so no bugs in the teeth, but that old handshift "50th Anniversary" panhead would cruise the highways all day long ....  The mechanical rear brake was good, would lock the wheel up at speed.   The front 8" SLS drum wasn't much, but if you planned ahead and didn't get too squirrelly you could do OK.   It was a cool, solid, easy to ride (even with the tank shifter), easy to work on .... Oh no I think I'm falling back in love ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:21:27 PM by Lannis »

kirby1923

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
I have pics but can't access them at the moment!

I have a '50 Panhead but it all apart and would take some time to rebuild. I have a friend in CA that has a '37 HD 60 something ci not sure what model (all apart). We have been talking about spending some time and resurrecting them for sunny days!

Sure is an itch I would like to scratch!

Great pic , thanks.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:53 PM »
I have pics but can't access them at the moment!

I have a '50 Panhead but it all apart and would take some time to rebuild. I have a friend in CA that has a '37 HD 60 something ci not sure what model (all apart). We have been talking about spending some time and resurrecting them for sunny days!

Sure is an itch I would like to scratch!

Great pic , thanks.

Your buddy's '37 is probably a 61 cu. in. "EL" OHV model knucklehead.   Those things are worth a lot of money apart OR together.

Those bikes are pretty easy to restore.   I found my '54 sitting in a man's garden with small trees growing up through the frame - took it completely to pieces, cleaned it up, had a shop clean up the bores and install oversize pistons (they were so loose they were practically going up and down the bore sideways, I don't see how it ran the last few times it was started).    And all the parts are available at surprisingly affordable prices - HUGE volume compared to what we're used to with Guzzi drives the price down.

Hope you get time to get the old road warrior back on the highways of the USA where it belongs!

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here