Author Topic: Half Plastic Fuel Filter in 2016 V7II Stone  (Read 9550 times)

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
Re: Half Plastic Fuel Filter in 2016 V7II Stone
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »
OK, just for you, I will re-phrase:
Does MG sell all metal fuel filters for a v7 II?
If so, what is the part number?

BTW, in researching, the filter is 5/16" fitting in and out.
WIX is 1.936" diameter x 3.862" long, rated 20 microns and burst test to 60 PSI, $5.25 through Summit Racing

Fram G2 and Purolator F20011 are all plastic.

AC GF61 is $4.99 at O'Reillys, but is larger (2.17" x 4.55") than the WIX and may not be stocked.

Motocraft FG-2 is discontinued due to "low demand"

Interesting. I copied the list from a different thread. Apparently it was a list of replacements based on size, and material wasn't checked.

KNECHT MAHLE KL145 and  Napa Gold 3032 are all metal. I install a Napa and it fit perfectly.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
If the swollen hybrid metal/plastic fuel filter were not replaced by the OP, any guesses on its life expectancy?
Survive the 2 year warranty or no?

The filter on V7 III Special lasted 1200 miles and  1 week of owner ownership. The plastic had become soft and the separated at the seam from the metal. I suggest all filter be replaced now or you may find yourself stranded at road side like me. It wasn't the type of adventure I was seeking.

A rare occurrence, my dealer didn't think so. He questioned whyGuzzi hadn't gotten changied to an all metal filter years ago, after all this issue has been around since the US introduced corn piss into gasoline. Some may call it a rare occurrence because they themselves had not YET had a failure, but they're wrong.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:08:08 AM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 08:25:55 AM »
A rare occurrence, my dealer didn't think so. He questioned whyGuzzi hadn't gotten changied to an all metal filter years ago

So who is the dealer and how many has he seen?

Some may call it a rare occurrence because they themselves had not YET had a failure, but they're wrong.

Maybe some call it a rare occurrence because in over a decade (that's what at least 5k bikes/year production, so 50,000 bikes on the road - though maybe only 5,000 of those in the US) we've only heard about a half a dozen failures?

If it was a certainty don't you think we'd have seen a couple more by now?

Like I said I've examined a couple that have been in use for 3-4 YEARS with generally nothing but E10 in the tank. I removed one and immediately pressure tested it to 120 psi without failing. So that's at least 3x the peak pressure it would see in the fuel tank and it held no problem after more than 3 years soaking in E10. But you are convinced they will ALL fail?

Maybe it's horrible quality control and some are really that bad while others are not.

But obviously no, every one WON'T for certain fail.

I guess I understand wanting to eliminate it is a possibility. But on the flip side when I spend good money on a product I expect it to perform properly under warranty. A non-scheduled replacement of a long-life component, should it fail, will be replaced on the company dime, along with coverage of the tow and anything else I can get out of them.

If the problem is THAT bad and we all held the company's feet to the fire, maybe we wouldn't continue to see half-plastic filters that were so doomed to fail.

Aw hell, maybe we wouldn't see another valve train debacle.

But probably not. And shyte like that makes it an uphill climb for Guzzi to earn more of my business. Though I remain ever optimistic.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »
Agree 100% with you there.  That said, I still replaced mine as all that won't matter a hill of beans stuck somewhere on the road ruining a nice ride.
I chalk it up to experience.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »

Maybe some call it a rare occurrence because in over a decade (that's what at least 5k bikes/year production, so 50,000 bikes on the road - though maybe only 5,000 of those in the US) we've only heard about a half a dozen failures?

Like I said I've examined a couple that have been in use for 3-4 YEARS with generally nothing but E10 in the tank. I removed one and immediately pressure tested it to 120 psi without failing. So that's at least 3x the peak pressure it would see in the fuel tank and it held no problem after more than 3 years soaking in E10. But you are convinced they will ALL fail?

Maybe it's horrible quality control and some are really that bad while others are not.

I guess I understand wanting to eliminate it is a possibility. But on the flip side when I spend good money on a product I expect it to perform properly under warranty. A non-scheduled replacement of a long-life component, should it fail, will be replaced on the company dime, along with coverage of the tow and anything else I can get out of them.

If the problem is THAT bad and we all held the company's feet to the fire, maybe we wouldn't continue to see half-plastic filters that were so doomed to fail.

But probably not. And shyte like that makes it an uphill climb for Guzzi to earn more of my business. Though I remain ever optimistic.

The dealer was Jim Hamlin, give him a call and ask him about the number of failures he's seen. I can't answer that question for you.  I do know is he had the proper all metal filter in stock and had me back on the road is less then an hour. A good man he is, none better! Other top shelf Guzzi dealers stock the all metal filter because they are aware that's it's at risk of failure. The replacement filter in my '09 Sport came from MI..

I'd rather spend the money to eliminate the chance of failure then risk getting stuck at roadside 1500 miles from home as i did. I had plans to replace it when I got home but the filter didn't make it that far. It more then the cost of a tow, extra lodging, meals, etc..., peace of mind is priceless to me when traveling.  A new proper filter only cost a few $$ and replacement is not a difficult job, why not?

If the bike is only a grocery getter ya may want to risk it then push it, home when it fails....  :popcorn:

Paul
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:44:45 AM by roadscum »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »
Well Paul, I've certainly heard good things about Jim, so I will take that for what it is worth.

And I certainly understand why one might chose to eliminate the possibility.

But no, none of my bikes are only grocery-getters. Well, maybe the Duc could be if it actually had bags lol, but Jenn has been known to ride multi-states on it with a bag strapped to the seat so I can't rightly call it a grocery-getter.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:45:49 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »
I doubt we've heard from all the 5k owner in the U. S. to provide a fair representation of the failure rate Kev. Some riders, like Kingoffleece, dodge the risk by taking preemptive action, as I did with my '09 Sport. We don't know how many other have the wisdom and desire to do the same.

Paul

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
I doubt we've heard from all the 5k owner in the U. S. to provide a fair representation of the failure rate Kev. Some riders, like Kingoffleece, dodge the risk by taking preemptive action, as I did with my '09 Sport. We don't know how many other have the wisdom and desire to do the same.

Paul

After listening to the conversations on this subject at the 2015 national in NH I had my dealer replace the filter when I got back (1500).

The plastic part was yellow and squishy.  No idea how long to failure but glad I made the change.

Gerry

2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »

Paul

Of course not, but we've made assumptions that it is the ethanol, and I'm not convinced of that (see my small sample data).

And if that's the case, then it's more like 50k owners that should be at risk. I would think we'd have heard MORE based on 5k or 50k. Not just half a dozen. But maybe Jim Hamlin and others like him HAVE seen a bunch more. I'm open to this.

That said Gerry - squishy and swollen doesn't mean anything if it's still sealed. I might have described the one I tested to 120 psi as squishy and swollen.

To be clear I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm just saying we're unsure of what it is and the extent.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »

I agree with you too Kevin.  But having said that, I plan to replace mine soon.  I don't trust the strange chemical brew we call gas in California.  We have winter blend and summer blend and who knows what they are putting in it.  Ethanol for sure.

The fuel strips that support the gas gauge on BMW R series bikes before they switched them to floats are notorious for failing.  They are still mostly replaced under some sort of secret warranty.  I had mine replaced on my 2007 shortly after purchase, and it is still going strong at 10 years and 60,000 miles later.  Maybe, just maybe, that is because I use Chevron Premium almost all the time, with a bit of Shell Premium mixed in.  Some folks are on their tenth strip.

Could be you have good gas.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
Of course not, but we've made assumptions that it is the ethanol, and I'm not convinced of that (see my small sample data).

And if that's the case, then it's more like 50k owners that should be at risk. I would think we'd have heard MORE based on 5k or 50k. Not just half a dozen. But maybe Jim Hamlin and others like him HAVE seen a bunch more. I'm open to this.

That said Gerry - squishy and swollen doesn't mean anything if it's still sealed. I might have described the one I tested to 120 psi as squishy and swollen.

To be clear I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm just saying we're unsure of what it is and the extent.

We do know that some rubber compounds decompose when exposed to ethanol. I suspect every 1/2 plastic filter in the US would show sighs of degradation if they were inspected.
Neither of us have enough empirical data to prove cause and effect, but I'd gladly bet those brave enough to not make the change are more at risk then those that do. As always YMMV.

Paul

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 06:31:23 PM »
Kev said..
Of course not, but we've made assumptions that it is the ethanol, and I'm not convinced of that blah blah blah.

:smiley:  :boozing:
Just change it out and forget about it. Whatever is causing it won't cause it with an all metal filter.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »
Kev said..
Just change it out and forget about it. Whatever is causing it won't cause it with an all metal filter.

:1: couldn't agree more Chuck. I replaced mine on the Stelvio for that exact same reason...

Mark

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »
Kev said..

:1:  It's not something I would term as urgent, but don't let it go too long.  New filter, clamps, and a "clamp tool" (I used tile nippers) and next time you are doing maintenance spend an extra hour for the piece of mind. Odds appear it won't happen to you but if it does... really can suck.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »
You need to remove the tank, then remove the pump assembly to change it. Not going to happen any other way.

Was trying to only view the filter, from the top and it was not possible

"With all out, there is no view of the fuel filter or any part of the fuel pump assembly."
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 05:42:56 AM »
Not sure what THAT means but you sure as heck can see the filter when the assembly is removed from the tank.  In fact, it would be impossible to miss it.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »
Was trying to only view the filter, from the top and it was not possible

"With all out, there is no view of the fuel filter or any part of the fuel pump assembly."

For 16 bucks, you can inspect through the filler opening.
USB Borescope Inspection Camera:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LEU9SRU/ref=asc_df_B01LEU9SRU5176947/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01LEU9SRU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198112160800&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1384865122776096697&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015255&hvtargid=pla-320708499343

Or something similar. Or, visit a nearby auto shop and ask if they have one and can take a quick look in the tank.

John Henry

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2017, 06:19:21 AM »
Not sure what THAT means but you sure as heck can see the filter when the assembly is removed from the tank.  In fact, it would be impossible to miss it.
I think he was hoping for a way to inspect it without removal.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »

The point of attempting to view from the top was to save tank removal and disassembly to then find that I may have a metal one.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:22:49 PM by SportsterDoc »
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »
When mine came apart in a multi-state trip, I called the Tulsa Guzzi service guy (Donnie) and he was so familiar with this rare event he had the Wix part number memorized.

Yep , besides you I know of three others that failed . Only one of those happened to a WG member .

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here