Author Topic: V85 engine infos  (Read 10312 times)

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 engine infos
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2018, 05:19:32 AM »
I think Guzzi needs to play to its strengths, and I'm not sure Piaggo understands what those strengths are.  They aren't particularly fast or cutting edge.  They are very fun tractors.  Strong and sturdy with real world usable power bands.  Another experiment in head design where the first owners are used as a factory durability test group will be a disaster.

I'd like to see them make something like this, just not as ugly.

There are some very nice touches there, along with quite a bit of silly show bike stuff.  Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=aAvuF56ABP4

He lost the run of himself.

pete roper

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »
your old le mans would be lucky to push out a honest 60 HP,
my V7sport needed bigger carbs to reach 50 rwhp, and that was rated for 72 HP by te guzzi factory.
:-)

This.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »

Making comparisons as Martin does to some extraordinarily developed race bike for a production pushrod twin with two valves per cylinder is quite simply asinine.

Suggesting an air starter family business in Melbourne is cleverer with more recources than Piaggio ?
No, just a good example of pushrod v twin 2 vpc developed reliably and fast.
V85 doesn’t need to and will not be this fast but 100bhp/litre is not ludicrous
It is the torque spread that’s got me interested, rideability not peak output, light bike that pulls like a schoolboy.
Doesn’t do it for you, obviously, but some of us can see the point.
I bought a 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800cc 2vpc air cooled v twin, similar claimed output (75) but needs 5k for max torque.
That is the comparisom that’s really relevant, they have sold hugely worldwide.
Same story is just a mildly developed Pantah
IF it comes it is the mini stelvio everyone has begged for, no doubt there will be “classic” style one too, then a “racer” etc etc. Ducati have proven the sales are there, even I bought one.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »
The Slippery Sam effort was the last gasp that sucked the last pennies out of the already chilling cadaver of the NVT conglomerate. No way was it a �Normal�, �Production� motorbike.

Making comparisons as Martin does to some extraordinarily developed race bike for a production pushrod twin with two valves per cylinder is quite simply asinine.

Look, while I think the whole project sounds like a disappointing failure in the making I can�t emphasise enough that I really, REALLY, hope I�m wrong. I hope it�s a huge success and they sell squillions of them. Will I buy one? Highly unlikely looking at the spec sheet but I�m at least open to changing my mind, something that many others aren�t.

Pete

Perhaps you are suggesting that the comparison of the BSA as an example isn't valid regarding the V85?

Sometimes your subtle and nuanced positions can be ambiguous.  By all means, try to be clear and stand on your own two feet. 

There's no need to be shy.  Don't "beat around the bush."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:47:25 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »

Offline auzziguzzi

• Gosling
  • This ain't no dress rehersal
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2018, 09:59:01 PM »
The Slippery Sam effort was the last gasp that sucked the last pennies out of the already chilling cadaver of the NVT conglomerate.

Pete
All the more remarkable then that such a notable, production-based machine emerged.

No way was it a �Normal�, �Production� motorbike.

Pete
The WikiPaedia article states that BSA's Bert Hopwood urged BSA's management to make a production version producing 84 HP @ 8250 rpm - he was ignored partly due to financial considerations, as alluded to above.

It was still a production based, aircooled, undersquare, 750cc, 2V, pushrod engine making over 80 hp
50 years ago with 100cc less capacity, less revs, more power than claimed for the V85 but admittedly using one more cylinder.

Just saying.
'96 Sport 1100c (65,000 km)
'83 V50 III (80,000 km)
'06 Norge (162,000 km)
'90 NTX 650 (66,666 km)
'06 Breva 1100 (84,505 miles) SOLD 3/3/2022

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »
V 85..?
I just want one...!
But not in Ronald Mc Donald livery..

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2018, 05:04:35 AM »
Let's wait untill we can drive the damned thing and thing decide if it performs "well enough" to buy one.
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2018, 06:16:44 AM »
The dry sump could be worth a few HP at high RPM-

pete roper

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2018, 06:51:17 AM »
How?

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »
All the more remarkable then that such a notable, production-based machine emerged.
The WikiPaedia article states that BSA's Bert Hopwood urged BSA's management to make a production version producing 84 HP @ 8250 rpm - he was ignored partly due to financial considerations, as alluded to above.

It was still a production based, aircooled, undersquare, 750cc, 2V, pushrod engine making over 80 hp
50 years ago with 100cc less capacity, less revs, more power than claimed for the V85 but admittedly using one more cylinder.

Just saying.

I just asked a Brit who is familiar with the Slippery Sam racer.. He said the engine is more or less identical to the F750 engines used in Formula racing Tridents, other than the Sam's "ray gun" stock stock looking mufflers that cut a bit of power compared to the F750 3 into one open pipe....About 75-77 HP... Bert Hopwood said a lot of things but the regular production 60 HP street Tridents could be fiddly maintenance intensive machines.At that time BSA/Triumph had an unmotivated  work force and quality control was piss poor..I seriously doubt BSA or Triumph had the resources to put out a 80 HP 750  that would be reliable..

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
How?

Theoretically, I think it should cut down on windage losses. Also if it improves lube efficiency they could cut down on oil pressure.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here