Author Topic: Video: removing ethanol from gasoline for vintage MC use  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Video: removing ethanol from gasoline for vintage MC use
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 07:45:54 AM »
 Pour the fuel into a transparent container and add enough water to absorb the alcohol.  Let it settle to the bottom and use long straw to suck the
water alcohol mix from the bottom.  Pour the rest into the bike and if you can, ride on your merry way.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »
In my newest vintage bike project I do plan on running non corn gas like I have always done in all of my old machines.   Fortunately it can be bought about five miles from my abode.  The one thing I found interesting is the suggestion of a little 2 cycle oil mixed with the gas for the valves.  This suggestion has been made on a number of vintage sites I frequent for British and Japanese machines and I think I am going to give it a try on this one.

I have vintage Triumphs and run them on the non ethanol fuel sold in many stations in my area.. But it's 90 octane so some vintage stuff pings on it unless you make tuning and or engineering changes... I also use the 90 octane non ethanol in my 96 900 Monster and 01 Sportster with no problems.
  I question exactly what the two stroke oil is supposed to do other than make the rider feel better...???
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:01:07 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
I'm spoiled. Two blocks from my house is a gas station with two dedicated E0 pumps, that's all you can get from them. Steady stream of bikers and boats filling up on those two pumps all summer. Whole lot quicker than mucking around with this, I'm glad I have that option.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 10:08:34 AM »
On my vintage bikes I use aviation low-lead gasoline.  Ethanol free, and comes w stabilizer compounds added since small planes might sit for a while. 

I get it from two small sympathetic airports.  One place isn't even an airport, it's an grass "airfield" like in the old days.

Joe

Edit:  not too far away is a car race track that has pump race fuel, but it's $11-14/gallon.  Av gas is cheaper, $4-6/gallon.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:10:45 AM by sign216 »
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 10:08:34 AM »

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
  I have vintage Triumphs and run them on the non ethanol fuel sold in many stations in my area.. But it's 90 octane so some vintage stuff pings on it unless you make tuning and or engineering changes... I also use the 90 octane non ethanol in my 96 900 Monster and 01 Sportster with no problems.
  I question exactly what the two stroke oil is supposed to do other than make the rider feel better...???

Well, 2 stroke oil acts like stabilizer, same chemistry at work. That's why 4 year old premix still works.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »
So why does gas go bad in chain saws and weed eaters?
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »

Bad parenting ?

Dusty

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
Never had it go bad yet.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »

I just scraped by in organic, but I'd guess loss of volatiles and oxidation.

Rich A

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
I just scraped by in organic, but I'd guess loss of volatiles and oxidation.

Rich A

Everyone just scrapes by in *organic* , that class is the work of the debbil  :grin:

Dusty

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »
I don't think the question is "why does gas go bad in chainsaws" because it goes bad everywhere. The question is why is E10 bad for chainsaws and other small two strokes - and the answer is the fuel pump diaphragm in the carburetor disintegrates with alcohol.

I've been adding a little two stroke oil to a full tank for the last couple years and it seems to help - it even improves gas mileage.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here