Author Topic: Good affordable helmets?  (Read 7149 times)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Good affordable helmets?
« on: December 07, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
OK, ive been out of the loop for over a decade!!  Just picked up a new to me 02 Cal stone, and seeing that I need a new helmet..  I LOVE my old Shoei RF108V that ive had since the late 80's....  as i grab it off the shelf I see the padding has deteriorated. Well searching for new i see....  $400+!!!  OK.. so here is what I want..  Full face, solid color, and nothing too fancy..  vents are nice, but I dont need all the bells...  I also prefer a fiberglass shell..  I just think its the best for impacts.  Whats out there thats basic, solid, and affordable? Any advice for me?
Paul B

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Good affordable helmets?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 09:16:51 AM »
OK, ive been out of the loop for over a decade!!  Just picked up a new to me 02 Cal stone, and seeing that I need a new helmet..  I LOVE my old Shoei RF108V that ive had since the late 80's....  as i grab it off the shelf I see the padding has deteriorated. Well searching for new i see....  $400+!!!  OK.. so here is what I want..  Full face, solid color, and nothing too fancy..  vents are nice, but I dont need all the bells...  I also prefer a fiberglass shell..  I just think its the best for impacts.  Whats out there thats basic, solid, and affordable? Any advice for me?

These days, I'm worrying less about the price of something that I buy once every 6 years and more about the features, quality, and a comfortable fit, so a $400+ helmet doesn't worry me much.

That being said, I have owned several "HJC" helmets over the years and have found them to be a high-quality, long-lasting helmet.   If I were going into the fray budget-first, I'd get another HJC, probably a CL-17.  You can get them for $125 or so, and sometimes find them on clearance for even less ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
I've have been using a "modular" helmet for over 10yrs. Its nice to be able to stop and flip it up, when stopping for fuel, a quick sip of a drink, couple of bites at a snack, adding lip balm, nose spray ect.ect. Go to a powersports store and try them on. We all have different shaped mellons, and chipmonk cheeks!!

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:43:54 AM »
I think the fiberglass shell is going to take the price up. Most of the lower-priced helmets will have some sort of composite shell, high tech word for plastic.

I've been buying Scorpion helmets for the last few years and have been happy. It looks like their shell is some sort of composite specific to them, at least it has a special name.

The only helmet I've crashed in (on the street) in the past 20 years was an $89 Bilt model from Cycle Gear. I guarantee that it was some sort of plastic shell and it protected my head.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just pointing out where your search may be failing.

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:52:46 AM »
Remember the old ad that said "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet!"
Also, helmets and shell materials have advanced greatly since the 1980's, there are many composites that, while maybe still called "plastics", are superior to all the 1980 materials.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
Take the time to understand what a good fir really is.
The helmet guys I know say at least 75% of the folks they see at shows and other events have a size too large on.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »

Which might be applicable if we were talking about things like features, comfort, marketing and not just safety.

But I believe it was demonstrated some time ago that many less expensive helmets may protect just as well as the $800 Arai or Shoei, they just won't be nearly as cush.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 12:51:59 PM »
Great source of info on safety ratings: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
I use a Bell 3/4 helmet for coaching, and it fits like my 2 full face Shoei lids.

Also:

Consider taking a class to sharpen your skills. Anecdotally, the returning riders I see in my BRC classes are usually surprised at how much their skills have deteriorated after 5, 10 or 20 years away from the activity.

A BRC2 (also called a Confident RiderCourse) is done on your own bike, lasts only a half day, and is relatively inexpensive (compared to hospital bills, replacement parts & riding gear, etc.) It's also a lot of fun, IMO.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice. I know of the HJC helmets. My wife has one from back in the day also. It was a real nice helmet for the price then..  Good features but weighs more then mine did..  Ill keep a look for closeouts, and deals..  I did really like my old Shoei.. Not a fan of the modulers... and really I was happy for many years, and miles with my basic sheld, and simple vents..  Not sure I want to pay for the bells and whistles that a lot come with. Ill check some of those choices out! Thanks.
Paul B

Lcarlson

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 02:31:42 PM »
Some years ago, Motorcylist mag did a rigorous testing of many popular helmets. To just about everybody’s surprise, the helmet that provided the best impact protection was the sub-$100 Z1R full face. The study caused a lot of consternation in the helmet world, and resulted in a revision of the Snell Foundation testing protocols.

So the chief advantages of the high end helmets are primarily features, comfort and maybe appearance. But comfort, particularly, is really important. And sizing is critical to safety. In general, if the helmet feels just right when you try it on, it’s too big. A helmet needs to fit much like a ski boot, so it should be somewhat uncomfortable when brand new; when broken in after some hours of riding, it will fit just right. Caveat, watch out for hot spots, which mean the helmet is probably the wrong shape for your particular head.

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
That being said, I have owned several "HJC" helmets over the years and have found them to be a high-quality, long-lasting helmet.   If I were going into the fray budget-first, I'd get another HJC, probably a CL-17.  You can get them for $125 or so, and sometimes find them on clearance for even less ....

Lannis
+1 on HJC helmets. I have an FG-17 model, which has a fiberglass shell. Very happy with it for the price.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
HJC has a huge line of helmets.  The FG-17 is an excellent value.  The RPHA line by HJC are their full featured helmets meant to compete with Shoei and Arai.  I bought an Arai last Fall but if I had to do it over again I'd probably go with an RPHA.  They're just as nice, shields are less expensive and the helmets themselves are 1-200 bucks less than a similar Shoei or Arai. 

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »

But comfort, particularly, is really important. And sizing is critical to safety. In general, if the helmet feels just right when you try it on, it’s too big. A helmet needs to fit much like a ski boot, so it should be somewhat uncomfortable when brand new; when broken in after some hours of riding, it will fit just right. Caveat, watch out for hot spots, which mean the helmet is probably the wrong shape for your particular head.

This. I had to go through a shop full of helmets to find one that fits.  A New Zealand made fibreglass one so it would be unavailable in the States.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 05:08:56 PM »
Find one that fits you and is comfortable, then worry about price.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 06:31:01 PM »
If I recall the Z1R full face helmets rate well in crash testing and are quite affordable. Also a good time of year to look for end of season clearance sales. You may be able to get an AGV or Nolan for a good price. As other noted just make sure it fits well.

Revzilla makes it easy with an ez exchange program on helmet sales. Good pricing may be found at your local dealer and they may price match if you show them an internet ad.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
1: use the shrps website.
2: as mentioned the old $10 head $10 helmet is now BS.
3: Try them on, the worlds safest helmet won't work if it doesn't fit right.
4: LS2 make awesome feature loaded helmets that are as safe, or safer than the big name brands.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »
I've been wearing SHOEI modular helmets for 12-15 yrs. but recently I decided to look for a new one and they are up around $700.00??? I ordered a BELL modular just to try, it has a tinted windshield that slides down (like the Schuberth that won't fit my head) and the clear windscreen has the best optics I've seen in a helmet EVER. It's like wearing glasses, actually IMPROVING my vision. And the peripheral vision is improved over the last three SHOEI helmets I've worn out. The BELL was around $400.00.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:01:39 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 10:21:11 PM »
For those of you with long oval alien heads like mine, i've discovered the Scorpion EXO-R2000 which may be their top of the line unit.  Nice alternative to the well fitting
Arai signet (or Profile, i forget).  I think it is being replaced by a new model this year.

Fibreglass shell (if not mistaken) and Snell approved, the price is creeping up but i got mine at end of season for like $200 Canadian.  After 4 seasons, i can say it is as good or better than the Arai as far as comfort and features go.

And the bloody visor is easy to change without breaking it...

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 01:47:18 AM »
I have been happy with Shark branded helmets, they rate well in crash testing but more importantly the happen to fit my shaped head.
My brother in law is a Shoei fan. I have tried a couple on and they just don't fit my head.

I tend to think that a lot of people think about the primary benefits of helmet safety. That is how well it will protect my head when it hits the road. A lot of today's helmets do this very well.

I think secondary helmet safety is possibly more important. I class this as how well it fits, poor comfort causes fatigue, fatigue contributes to accidents. What the viability is like, if I don't see the danger I can't avoid it. Can I fit glasses under it if I need them. Is it easy to change visors at night time if you use a tinted visor. How noisy is the helmet, noise causes fatigue. How well ventilated is it for hot weather, feeling hot and bothered causes fatigue. Does it have any anti fog options. If any of these are lacking you are more likely to have an accident and test the primary safety features of your helmet.   

Steve

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:42 AM »
Can you make your way to a Cycle Gear?  They typically stock A LOT of helmets.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline nbags

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 07:30:11 AM »
i have an arai helmet is good quiet and comfortable ,also had an agv and a couple of bell . I think for the money bell is a great helmet that's probably my next one . Just my opinion what ever you buy make sure it fits properly helmets come in different shapes some more oval some more round.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »
+1 on the HJC CL-17. I have two of them, as well as one of their IS-Max II modulars. These CL-17 full-faces have some great basic features like effective venting, inexpensive replacement shields, a removable/replaceable liner, various thicknesses of cheek pads available, Pinlock ready, and is reasonably quiet. If it fits your head shape it's a remarkable value.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-cl-17-helmet
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
I'd vote HJC. I've usually gotten my less than half price on clearance from Dennis Kirk. Can't remember who I met that had a Shark. It was much nicer than my HJC and about the same price.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 02:32:26 PM »
Also, helmets and shell materials have advanced greatly since the 1980's, there are many composites that, while maybe still called "plastics", are superior to all the 1980 materials.
Since I have removed Bell helmets from two deceased ridders when I was working, I drifted over to the opinion that it's not as much about the helmet as it is about the use of the brain inside the skull, inside the helmet. Also if one reads the small print helmet manufacturers advise to replace the helmet " if it's dropped".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:35:27 PM by Ncdan »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 01:43:14 AM »
I discovered the portuguese brand "Nexx" by change. Many of their helmets are made in a combination of Kevlar, Carbon and Glass fiber, and tests show they are astonishing good in comparison to well-known brands. I for example have some X70 jet helms in different colours. I like them.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »
I discovered the portuguese brand "Nexx" by change. Many of their helmets are made in a combination of Kevlar, Carbon and Glass fiber, and tests show they are astonishing good in comparison to well-known brands. I for example have some X70 jet helms in different colours. I like them.

Just OK-but same rating as my Shoei GT Air...

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=Nexx&model=All&type=1

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »
I used to subscribe to the big $$ helmets, but my last 3 Helmets (since 06) were: Scorpion Exo (400), AGV Skyline, Nolan N44. These were all less than $225 and all were well made, comfortable and serviceable.

I bought the Scorpion on a fluke in 2006. While moving, I lost track of my big $$ Shoe RF and didn't want to spend a lot on a short term replacement. I liked the Scorpion so much I never wore the Shoe again and it became the 'guest helmet.'

I wore the Scorpion exclusively up till 2015 when I bought the AGV which I liked, but didn't love. It is hot in the summer, so just recently picked up the Nolan N44 which has amazing visibility but seems a bit noisy. I've only wore it 3x so far, has been a cold we fall/winter.

I used to look for a Snell foundation helmet, but DOT rating has improved so I am comfortable with it.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:32:57 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here