Author Topic: Like button  (Read 2539 times)

Online vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
Re: Like button
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2024, 03:53:19 PM »
I support a LIKE buttom :thumb:
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2024, 03:55:03 PM »
On some other forums I will hit like if someone posts something that is above and beyond the norm or comes up with a solution to a real thorny problem. I sure don't want it to become a dick waving contest or any way to do a dislike. We all need to be adults. I left one HD forum years ago because if a new guy asked a question that had been answered numerous times or the answer was obvious and then got shouted down to never return. Don't need that kind of thing here and have not seen it that I can remember. We don't need a means to go there. So I would use a like button for something that deserves it not just willy nilly.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2024, 05:03:18 PM »
A Like button, yes, of course, please.

Can you also make a particular thread open up to the last post in that thread you read? That’s an excellent feature as it prevents going through an entire thread just to get to the content you haven’t already read. If that’s available now, how do I activate it?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 12:21:05 AM by TN Mark »

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2024, 05:47:52 PM »
CRR: Did anywhere in my post say that "I" get my feelings hurt if people don't click a like to one of my posts? NO I didn't.

There are some that would go crying to mommy that nobody likes my posts. Those people might give very good answers to questions, but don't get the likes they think they should. So they leave that board.

I look at likes 2 ways. It's nice to see that someone appreciated what I had to say. And also I don't give a rats rear end if someone likes my post or not.

I would think that most people here have been around the block and have thick enough skin for a like to not matter.

Tom
Last time I quoted you I was less than 100% serious. I will come back and like your post quoted here now if the higher ups give us that option. I know you don't give a damn about my quoting or liking you. I appreciate that attitude. See what a crappy post I had to leave here because I couldn't simply like your reply.
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2024, 05:47:52 PM »

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2024, 06:32:03 PM »
CRR: All good :thumb:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2024, 07:24:20 PM »

:thumb:  <----  this is all I need.   A "like" button may cut down on inane discourse.  However, aren't we here to 'discuss' Guzzi topics.  Tangents and off topic comments can be very entertaining.   :wink:

Is just posting   :thumb: Adding to the discussion? 

Especially if you quote a long post to just add the  :thumb:

This ends up cluttering a thread. 

I would like the Like button.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2024, 07:36:55 PM »
Last time I quoted you I was less than 100% serious. I will come back and like your post quoted here now if the higher ups give us that option. I know you don't give a damn about my quoting or liking you. I appreciate that attitude. See what a crappy post I had to leave here because I couldn't simply like your reply.

I salute you coast range rider!  These are the kind of responses that I enjoy.

Paraphrased: "Due to the lack of a Like button, I had to rely on my lack of communication skills.  Sorry about that!"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 07:38:09 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2024, 07:49:09 PM »
We could probably make life easier for the moderators by playing a game inside our heads and simply assuming that everyone at WG who read our post(s), likes our post(s) until someone tells us otherwise.

Much kinder to our fragile egos than desiring "likes" that may or may not be forthcoming.

"50 people read my post and no one said I am full of BS!  Wow!  People love me!"

or

"50 people read my post and no one posted a like!  Wow!  People hate me!"

It is an internal game.  External rules, Meh.   :wink:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 07:50:19 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2024, 08:14:14 PM »
SRE: that is a good way to look at the issue of likes.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2024, 10:50:01 PM »
We could probably make life easier for the moderators by playing a game inside our heads and simply assuming that everyone at WG who read our post(s), likes our post(s) until someone tells us otherwise.

Much kinder to our fragile egos than desiring "likes" that may or may not be forthcoming.

"50 people read my post and no one said I am full of BS!  Wow!  People love me!"

or

"50 people read my post and no one posted a like!  Wow!  People hate me!"

It is an internal game.  External rules, Meh.   :wink:

I was gonna stay silent on this but...

Or we could make life easier and not be dicks.

We could treat each other better.

We could not comment negatively if there's nothing asking for it.

We could, and this is gonna be tricky for a lot of people, not go crying to Mommy (admin) when you read something you don't like.

I actually get the reason why a like button is useful. A quick way to say "thumbs up" and that's useful.

I equally realize why a quick way to say thumbs down is a stupid idea. I just emboldens the cucks to lash out when they are too scared to the rest of the time.

No really, when you're dealing with the unwashed masses there are a whole lot of whiny crybabies who are gonna complain. Giving the jerks an easy way to leave negative feedback is just encouraging bad behavior by the socially inept.

Like buttons are positive feedback, regardless of the receivers motivation, they at least speak well of the grantor.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:27:40 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2024, 06:54:03 AM »

Or we could make life easier and not be dicks.

We could treat each other better.

We could not comment negatively if there's nothing asking for it.

We could, and this is gonna be tricky for a lot of people, not go crying to Mommy (admin) when you read something you don't like.

I actually get the reason why a like button is useful. A quick way to say "thumbs up" and that's useful.

I equally realize why a quick way to say thumbs down is a stupid idea. I just emboldens the cucks to lash out when they are too scared too the rest of the time.

No really, when you're dealing with the unwashed masses there are a whole lot of whiny crybabies who are gonna complain. Giving the jerks an easy way to leave negative feedback is just encouraging bad behavior by the socially inept.

Like buttons are positive feedback, regardless of the receivers motivation, they at least speak well of the grantor.

Very well said Kev m.

The eternal conflict between transmitter and receiver. 
What occurs in the minds of both is always a mystery, and the response of the latter to the opinion of the former is always extremely subjective.

I suspect that is why eBay has banned negative evaluations.

Viktor Frankl:  "Between stimulus and response, man has the ability to choose."

Eleanor Roosevelt:  "No one can make me feel inferior without my consent!"

Dad used to criticize us with "If you can't say anything nice, than don't say anything!" just before he hit us!!  Seemed kind of contradictory at the time.....

Luckily, Luap's arm aren't infinitely long.....   :wink:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2024, 07:29:04 AM »
Very well said Kev m.

What occurs in the minds of both is always a mystery, and the response of the latter to the opinion of the former is always extremely subjective.

I suspect that is why eBay has banned negative evaluations.

Viktor Frankl:  "Between stimulus and response, man has the ability to choose."

Eleanor Roosevelt:  "No one can make me feel inferior without my consent!"

Dad used to criticize us with "If you can't say anything nice, than don't say anything!" just before he hit us!!  Seemed kind of contradictory at the time.....

Luckily, Luap's arm aren't infinitely long.....   :wink:

- Like -
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2024, 10:26:46 AM »

It’s closely related to a concept called “ fundamental attribution error “ where it’s faster to attribute a person’s motives to their personality rather than other external influences resulting in conflict between strangers. Here is more https://effectiviology.com/fundamental-attribution-error/
The lack of visual feedback make things like road rage and internet squabbling more likely.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 11:50:35 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2024, 12:21:01 PM »
A Like button, yes, of course, please.

Can you also make a particular thread open up to the last post in that thread you read? That’s an excellent feature as it prevents going through an entire thread just to get to the content you haven’t already read. If that’s available now, how do I activate it?

Click on `Show unread posts since last visit' and you can click 'New' and get directly to the first of the New messages. For long, older threads, you can at least click on the last page.

I have not checked if it is possible to sort the threads from last to oldest message, which would sort what I think you are asking for.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2024, 01:01:11 PM »
I’ve noticed over the journey, that the interesting threads get about one response for every ten reads.
A “like” button will tend to alter the intent of the response from educational to purely entertaining. It just becomes a mechanism for stand off types, to pile on when there’s blood in the water.

It’s just an opportunity for non communicative types to shout….”Yeah….! What he said…!”
I don’t favour it… :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 01:06:49 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2024, 01:04:58 PM »
Yet you did not Kev.
Why was your initial tendancy biased towards “staying silent…”

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2024, 01:32:49 PM »
I’ve noticed over the journey, that the interesting threads get about one response for every ten reads.
A “like” button will tend to alter the intent of the response from educational to purely entertaining. It just becomes a mechanism for stand off types, to pile on when there’s blood in the water.

It’s just an opportunity for non communicative types to shout….”Yeah….! What he said…!”
I don’t favour it… :popcorn:

Some of you are vastly, comedically overdramatic about the idea of a Like button. And it really is deserving of a skit.

It won’t change much of anything besides cutting down on some redundant responses. Heck—you’ll still be allowed to post those comments anyway—no one said you can’t. But for those who would RATHER just simply select something in accordance to “I AGREE” or “GOOD JOB”, without feeling the need to bring something more to the table, well there ya go.

I’ve been on social media since 2002—have over 1500 “friends” on Facebook from various walks of life and the various hobbies and interests—roller derby, family, motorcycling, political leanings, local community, art school, grade school, etc. I’m on other platforms as well. They all have this feature. Does it feel nice to get likes? Sure. Am I HURT if a post of mine doesn’t garner thumbs up from 10% of my friend list? Ugh, it may be a bummer, but I’ve never put enough stock in the idea to let it seriously affect me. I think a few of you feel this little space on the web is bigger than it is; that’s not a knock on what Luap and everyone in the community have created, as it’s still my favorite Guzzi community space to visit for valuable knowledge, but moreso a reminder that at the end of the day, there are bigger forums, bigger brands, and bigger issues in life. Nobody’s going to get hurt or change their personal communicating scheme for public discourse…not unless the number of likes begins to gain monetary value, heh.

Even still—who cares if someone DOES post for “LIKES”? Posting for positive reinforcement ALREADY OCCURS on this forum with members constantly sharing lots of non-Guzzi content that the mods/admins have long ago requested that we NOT post. So—clicking little radio buttons that simply show support without forcing everyone to read another comment… it’s THOSE comments that just waste a little space and a little bit of people’s time. And you know what—it’s ok, because they’ll still occur because men often feel the need to be heard, even if we don’t have much to offer, amiright? But some people want to just quietly share support, without noise or adding another drowning voice to the crowd.

How people are against such a stupidly simple feature…with such poor excuses at that…is mind-boggling.

This ain’t AI or EV or some forced-government bill, folks. Your livelihoods won’t be negatively affected like you pretend it will.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 01:37:52 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2024, 01:41:25 PM »
Jeez mate.
I’d love to see the bits you edited out… :popcorn:

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2024, 02:11:50 PM »
This is what happens in the middle of February if you don't have a good old solid "oil discussion" to fall back on.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2024, 02:25:14 PM »
This is what happens in the middle of February if you don't have a good old solid "oil discussion" to fall back on.

:thumb: (closest I could get to a Like)

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2024, 02:28:30 PM »
Yeah, those oil discussions..
They’re a slippery slope.

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2024, 02:46:14 PM »
:laugh:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 02:46:47 PM by coast range rider »
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2024, 05:11:45 PM »

- Like -

OMG!

today, I am truly studying at the feet of the master!   :bow: :bow:

I just learned, that if you push the "L" key, and then push the "I" key, and then push the "K" key, and then push the "E" key...... there really is no need for a "LIKE" button!!!

Hopefully not the last thing I will learn on this Forum!

"You become the slave of all those from whom you seek approval!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2024, 05:20:09 PM »

It’s closely related to a concept called “ fundamental attribution error “ where it’s faster to attribute a person’s motives to their personality rather than other external influences resulting in conflict between strangers. Here is more https://effectiviology.com/fundamental-attribution-error/
The lack of visual feedback make things like road rage and internet squabbling more likely.

Thank you very much.  I love theories that explain or explore human behavior. 

I still remember the day when I read Viktor Frankl's statement:  "Between stimulus and response, man has the ability to choose!"  From his book Man's Search for Meaning.

The unhappiest adults I have ever met are those who do not realize that they voluntarily choose to be offended, rather than simply choosing another interpretation of any given situation.  Not at all, unlike the emotional immaturity of children.

Lack of face to face communication stimulates the imagination.  The internet is loaded with inkblots!!

If you have not read it, I suspect you will enjoy Mediations by Marcus Aurelius.  I prefer the translation by Maxwell Staniforth.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 05:26:58 PM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2024, 05:25:54 PM »
Yeah, those oil discussions..
They’re a slippery slope.

Maybe or maybe not.  Depends on what kind of oil you use......

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2024, 06:35:37 PM »
I like the idea, but I've been here for years without it and will stay with or without it.   :thumb:
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2024, 06:46:41 PM »
Yet you did not Kev.
Why was your initial tendancy biased towards “staying silent…”

It's not a particularly important issue to me, and I don't spend much time here anymore.

That said I continue to be amazed that something so harmless could inspire such angst in some.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2024, 07:02:04 PM »
If it limits needless posts, then it might be okay.

I would prefer that this forum not become like facebook or other social media platforms. The whoring for approval or "likes" can end up being tedious.

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2024, 09:01:01 PM »
Adding a Like Button may start to draw in the under 50 crowd and given that there are only 200 donors out of the 7000 or so who regularly frequent this site, maybe modernizing a bit will help to create more social interaction.  Who knows...it might or might not, but a like button puts zero burden on moderators or any other oversight that is needed other than implementing a technical change.

For the curmudgeons who will steadfastly refuse to change one single, minor item and modernize a bit, and will steadfastly refuse to support such efforts, they can choose NOT to USE the Like button.  How about that!  As if having the option in some way forces you to use it.

Dirk...100% well written...spot on!

Now...if the like button could be customized with my favorite color and font please...that's all I ask!

:)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:03:56 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2024, 09:39:32 PM »
Click on `Show unread posts since last visit' and you can click 'New' and get directly to the first of the New messages. For long, older threads, you can at least click on the last page.

I have not checked if it is possible to sort the threads from last to oldest message, which would sort what I think you are asking for.

Thank you! So obvious and so easy. Thank you for taking the time to reply. If there was a Like option, I’d have chosen that as well.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here