Author Topic: found a V50 Monza for sale, Chicago Craigslist  (Read 6427 times)

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: found a V50 Monza for sale, Chicago Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:35:27 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :grin::boozing: :boozing: :boozing:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :grin::boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

Oh, in case anyone thinks I'm buying it, no, not buying it.

I'm not really interested in the older small blocks.  I like my modern small blocks.    On the vintage side, I like loops and sporty Tontis, and have one of each, so, I'm good!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
Oh, in case anyone thinks I'm buying it, no, not buying it.

I'm not really interested in the older small blocks.  I like my modern small blocks.    On the vintage side, I like loops and sporty Tontis, and have one of each, so, I'm good!

Anyone who loves their V7 II or III should buy this just to have in the garage.  Spare bike, whatever...
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
Here’s an update on this bike. It’s has happily now found a new home in Spokane, WA. I found the bike at a motorcycle shop in Waukegan, IL being advertised for sale on Offerup there locally. It apparently didn’t sell on Chicago’s Craigslist. The bike came to that shop after being bought out of a Mecum auction in Schaumburg, IL. in June, 2016. It looks like Michael’s Motorcycles in St. Louis had consigned it there as it appears as a “sold” bike on that website.  If anyone knows more about the history of the bike, I’d appreciate having that information.

I recently moved and downsized to one bike, a DR650, but discovered that I had room for another small bike and needed a Guzzi to go with the all the tee shirts and sweatshirts that I have. My V7 Stone and Griso went away as a result of the move. The Monza looked like a good choice for a motogeezer and will give me something more classic to ride to vintage bike events around the area.

I plan on doing a cosmetic restoration on the bike. It’s been painted the wrong red and needs some tatty items replaced, but so far seems to be mostly complete and in fairly good condition. I will be switching over to the WG restoration forum after this post, but have some general Monza questions. I’ve read that there were only about 100 V50 Monzas imported to the US, can anyone confirm that? Is there a Monza registry anywhere out there in Guzzi Land? Is there an owner’s manual available for download somewhere online? Greg Bender has one available in German on his website, but I only took Latin in high school…

Thanks,

Jim
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
1966 BMW R60/2

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
Gotta go get my remaining kidney checked out.  :shocked: Will talk more later.. welcome to WG .
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 06:06:25 PM »
Cancer free for another year.  :thumb: I *may* be out of the woods. Yay.. :boozing:
Ok. This thread should help you:
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=89034.0
I think the 100 number is about right.
As far as manuals go, the V50 MK III is the same bike under the skin.
I *like* the little Monza. It is a really fine canyon carver. The engine is a sweetheart.. maybe my favorite Guzzi engine.
That said.. there are some things that *need* to be done.
Very importantly, the Rear Drive Mod. It's (sort of) covered in the "inspection" thread above.
The transmission breather needs to be addressed.
You'll probably need to do the Hayes Mod, also covered in Guzziology, to get full power to the starter.
You may need to do the steering head bearing mod. That's your call.
Enjoy. You'll find it punches much above it's weight.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply & helpful info, and glad to hear that your checkup when well. That thread will keep me occupied for a while. I'm looking forward to jumping into this project.

Jim
1966 BMW R60/2

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
What Chuck said. It's hard for me to think of a Monza as "vintage", 80s is vintage now? I must be ancient -- and my Monza (just over 30k miles) and V50II (almost 20k) are my primary means of transportation at the moment. I'm in California so that's reasonable, although scuba gear would be good this week...

Weak points are:
Transmission breather -- easy fix. Replace the stock one with one from an early loop or big-block Tonti (I forget which), and attach a hose, run up and over the frame then down to the side of the rear tire, to allow oil and vapor to get out, and for the oil to fall back down into the gearbox instead of pool on top of the gearbox. There is also a breather that exits to the side, a little easier to work with as with the stock airbox there is little extra space. I think Teo Lammers or Stein-Dinse have that one.

Rear drive: Follow Chuck's instructions. Stock, the pinion bearings get minimal oil. They're roller bearing so they don't need a lot,  but do need more than they get. At around 25k miles I drained the Monza rear drive and found shiny magnetic bits within. Note that the only place that a cheap and simple Guzzi resembles a bevel Ducati is in that rear drive. Proper shimming is necessary. I sent mine out to Sean Fader in LA, don't know if he's still doing that. Hope so, excellent work and Good People.

Exhaust valves: again, around 25k I noticed exhaust valves going from a happy .008 to a not-happy .004 in *500 miles*. Stretchy rubber stems! I know of one Monza that's been in boxes for years after dropping a valve, don't let it happen to you.

Gearbox: Earlier, I was riding in 3rd gear, 35 mph slightly downhill, light load, when I heard an ugly BANG!!!! rattle, rattle, rattle from under the seat. Had the clutch in and was coasting to the side of the road before I finished hearing that. Five miles from home, a long push. We have first, we have second, not going beyond that. Slow on the side of the road. I made it home, pulled the bike apart (not too difficult and practice makes perfect). A friend who also has a Monza helped rebuild - when we pulled the endplate off to remove the nut that holds the mainshaft in place we didn't need to remove the mainshaft. It fell out, cracked about 99 percent through *under the nut, outside of the bearing*! Mario and Luigi perhaps forgot to do proper hardening? As I was coasting to the side of the road I thought "If I can get out of this for under $1000, life is good." Barely...

There is a Hella H4 bucket available that is a perfect fit. That and headlight relays and I can see at night. The handlebar switches are of dubious quality. The generic left-hand replacement (lights and horn) is a vast improvement. The right side is best addressed with the Domino/Tohaselli start-stop switch and quarter-turn throttle. I de-linked the brakes, stock rear with the redundant line blocked off and front setup for anything with two F05s. Parts from the Bevel Heaven Ducati catalog, 900SS lines (18-inch wheel and clip-ons, works just fine) and master cylinder/lever for Pantah or Allazurra. MUCH better than stock, and far less effort.

I've heard 100 were brought in, or was that 100 for each of the two years (81 and 82, iirc)? Italian record-keeping... Fun bike, cruises at peg the Joan Claybrook Memorial Speedometer speed all day long, and  smaller and lighter than the new smallblocks. I know of 8 or so in the Bay Area. They're around.

V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
Hi, And welcome.

I just picked up my Monza at the beginning of the month. Mine is in need of  some cosmetic touch ups. Top end was done 4k miles ago.

Chuck and others have been very helpful. This is forum is a great resource.

Andy
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »
Chuck's thread on his Monza has inspired me - great info there! Thanks, Chuck. Here are a couple of questions for you V50 Monza owners:

1. My bike has been repainted sort of a cherry red which needs to go away. I haven't yet found any of the original paint to color match. Does anyone have a color code or some other color reference for the V50 Monza red?

2. The air box or whatever held the stock air filter on my bike is gone and has been replaced with some foam air filters. I see that Chuck has what appear to be K & N pods on his bike. I'd like to use those on my bike and was wondering if someone has a K & N part number for those filters that fit the Monza? How have you handled the venting that went to the original airbox?

Thanks,

Jim
1966 BMW R60/2

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here