Author Topic: Monza annual inspection  (Read 30769 times)

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: Monza annual inspection
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
Theo Lamers used to carry (perhaps still do) a smallblock transmission vent that would simply screw on in place of the OEM mushroom fitting.  Around 2001 I bought and fitted one to my V50 II, pushed a hose onto the barb and ran it up the frame.  I have always run a full liter of gearbox oil without ever having a problem with puking.  No drilling required.  Moto International used to stock this part as well.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2017, 01:10:21 AM »
Boy, Chuck, you sure do a lot more maintenance on your bikes than I do.  And as long as I can still get rider mower batteries I will be using them if they fit the bike.  :grin:  Maybe the fact  where you live there's a lot more humidity to deal with than where I live forces you to be a lot more anal in maintenance than me. My moto is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Tho I've heard the older small blocks compared to my `04 750 Breva are a lot more maintenance demanding than my newer version.  Or maybe it's just that I never had to maintain air planes that could kill a pilot if they had a hiccup.  :undecided:  Part of what I like about Guzzis is they don't require a lot of maintenance like some other brand bikes.  Tho they do require more maintenance than my `91 Suzuki VX800 V twin.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2017, 05:45:10 AM »
Well, Wayne.. this was the *first* inspection since I became the Monza's keeper. There were several little "gotchas" waiting in the wings (so to speak) in the electrical system, and a couple in the fuel system. Any one of those could have developed into a problem on the road.
Certainly, you don't have the rust/corrosion issues in Aridzona. This bike has spent it's entire life in Pennsylvania, now Indiana.
As far as that stupid garden tractor battery whose vents were spewing acid fumes on the diode board on one side and the regulator and fuse block on the other? That's a *really* bad idea, not to mention rusting the hold down bail and battery box floor.
Neil Young was right.. rust never sleeps.  :smiley:
The "next" annual inspection will be just that. An inspection.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2017, 06:23:46 AM »
Theo Lamers used to carry (perhaps still do) a smallblock transmission vent that would simply screw on in place of the OEM mushroom fitting.  Around 2001 I bought and fitted one to my V50 II, pushed a hose onto the barb and ran it up the frame.  I have always run a full liter of gearbox oil without ever having a problem with puking.  No drilling required.  Moto International used to stock this part as well.

That is apparently what the original owner did. There is no oil "dripping" but over the years there's been a fine mix of oil droplets and dirt that covers everything under the tank.

I did essentially the same thing on the Lario, but ran a tube into a catch bottle in the battery box. John A's method seems to me to be a good solution.
Guzzi has done *something* on the later models, though. I have an 04 Breva transmission in the Aero Lario now, and it doesn't leak oil when full even though it still uses the same little mushroom breather.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2017, 06:23:46 AM »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
There was a reason Dave thought the breather he came up with was better than the banjo fitting with the hose but I don't remember. If I had to guess Id say that with his, the oil quantity could be increased to a level that would insure adequate lubrication in all attitudes ie nose up, nose down, lean side to side. The other thing is that a lawn tractor battery is false economy, what I save on a battery is used up repairing corrosion and loss of reliability due to said corrosion on nearby electrical components. You can sure tell a lawn tractor battery has been used when you lift the seat. It takes a different mindset on maintenance if you plan to keep your machines out of the scrapheap. some of these things are getting old and at some point a little more care is justified.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Well, Wayne.. this was the *first* inspection since I became the Monza's keeper. There were several little "gotchas" waiting in the wings (so to speak) in the electrical system, and a couple in the fuel system. Any one of those could have developed into a problem on the road.
Certainly, you don't have the rust/corrosion issues in Aridzona. This bike has spent it's entire life in Pennsylvania, now Indiana.
As far as that stupid garden tractor battery whose vents were spewing acid fumes on the diode board on one side and the regulator and fuse block on the other? That's a *really* bad idea, not to mention rusting the hold down bail and battery box floor.
Neil Young was right.. rust never sleeps.  :smiley:
The "next" annual inspection will be just that. An inspection.

Oh, I didn't know you just acquired the Monza.  :embarassed:

As far as using a rider mower battery, I've owned my `81 CX100 for over 30 years and all that time it's had RM batteries and never have I had any rust/corrosion issues anywhere.  Maybe the bike having a Corbin fiberglass seat  on it most the time helps, I don't know.  Or maybe the fact most it's whole life has been spent in norCal or Aridzona helps.  Did ride it to Guzzi Louisiana Rally 1 year in May but the humidity was tolerable then.  :smiley:   Sure liked that soft ground water they have.  :thumb:  compared to our hard Western water.  :sad:   I've had numerous Guzzis over the years and they've all had RM batteries except the LM IV & 750 Breva because 1 wouldn't fit on them.  :evil:  And their undersized batteries wouldn't last as long as a RM battery and cost  more! Grrrr

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
Ive not had that good of luck with mower batteries. Environment sounds like a big part of that, with the battery having a higher discharge in cold weather starting it probably outgasses more. add to that I would run it up to age related failure where it starts outgassing because of that.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
Who signed off the brake fluid change? You probly did it when you did the other fluids but I'm checking. I have to kick myself to do it, hopefully once a year. I hate to fool with it and risk fluid on the paint and the occasional oops, one pump too many on a fully( finally) bled system. Thanks for the post!
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Who signed off the brake fluid change? You probly did it when you did the other fluids but I'm checking. I have to kick myself to do it, hopefully once a year. I hate to fool with it and risk fluid on the paint and the occasional oops, one pump too many on a fully( finally) bled system. Thanks for the post!

That's something I forgot to mention. After I got back to where I could *do* something last Summer, I installed new tires, greased the splines with Wurth, installed new brake pads, and changed out the fluid. Signed that off in my maintenance log.  :smiley: What I *didn't* do was change out the discolored no doubt hard as carborundum hose from the reservoir to the rear master. I had visions of cracking the reservoir nipple getting the hose off.  :grin:
Don't ask me how I know this can happen..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »

You guys are way better than me.

If any you guys buy any of my bikes at the estate sale, be sure to change the fluid in the brakes.   I've never done it on any bike I've ever owned .... But never had a problem with the brakes either.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:48 PM »
You guys are way better than me.

If any you guys buy any of my bikes at the estate sale, be sure to change the fluid in the brakes.   I've never done it on any bike I've ever owned .... But never had a problem with the brakes either.

Lannis

You might want to talk to Muley about what happens (or, more importantly, DOESN'T happen) if you neglect your brake fluid for too long.  Or you could just find out for yourself.  If you choose the latter, I would recommend you not do it like he did and find out while coming down US276 between the BRP and the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.

Howard, with the fresh brake fluid.

Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
Lannis's bikes probably have cables..  :boxing: :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
Lannis's bikes probably have cables..  :boxing: :smiley:

Quite a few do ... but after I read what I wrote and thought about what I'd think of it if someone ELSE wrote it, I went and bought a two-stroke mixing syringe, and some tubing to fit my Mity-vac, and I'll start on the Stelvio, I think.  The fluid in that is from the factory 8 years ago .... It still "looks" good and the brakes work great, but the peer pressure is starting to get to me.

So if I screw up this job, I'll know who to blame ....  :whip2:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2017, 10:27:59 PM »
I mostly only change brake fluid if it get's low for some reason or if when changing the brake pads it needs some new fluid.  :azn:  But again I don't live/ride in high humidity areas.

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2017, 11:39:54 PM »
Wow! This is a really useful thread. Thanks Chuck!

Anyone know how to bookmark a thread? I had a click around but couldn't see how to do it.

- Pasta
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline nyITguy

• New Egg
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2017, 12:10:56 AM »
Quote from: Psychopasta Anyone know how to bookmark a thread? I had a click around but couldn't see how to do it.
[/quote

Bookmark it in your browser, the forum doesn't seem to have a built-in bookmark feature.

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
D'oh! Thanks!
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2019, 04:41:30 AM »
It's always entertaining and educational to follow your procedures and display of skill. I would like to suggest this time perhaps including an assistant

to help with parts cleaning, measuring and tool selection. For educational purposes of course. :evil:

Paul B :popcorn: :boozing:
Yes.
Probably take a bit to get roadworthy, hard to get parts and a bugger to work on, but I thought her help with tool selection would be handy at times.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here