Author Topic: NOS Breva/Norge/Sport 1200 dash.. How much?  (Read 971 times)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
NOS Breva/Norge/Sport 1200 dash.. How much?
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:20:42 AM »
Hi all,

What do you think is a fair price for a NOS never installed dash for a Breva/Sport/Norge?  its from 2009, back face gauges (not the failure-prone whiteface Sport version). Brand new, never mounted, wrapped in moto guzzi bubble wrap.

If you owned this, what would you be looking to get for it on ebay???
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NOS Breva/Norge/Sport 1200 dash.. How much?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 07:26:30 AM »
PS>
New from AF1 is $1,145 and says 5-7day lead time. But I'm not AF1 and it has been on a box in my (dry climate controlled) garage for over 7 years with no instructions/paperwork/box etc.

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 07:37:25 AM »
I have noticed that the similar Griso dash was updated at some point, so that it has a new, screened vent hole. I expect the same happened to the Breva dash.

Depending upon how knowledgeable a prospective buyer is, your dash might be less desirable if it is the original type, assuming there was such a Breva-version update. I have gotten the impression over the years that the dashes have become more reliable than they were when first released.

EDIT: If you see a round, screened port on the back of your dash, you should advertise it as the revised type.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:41:58 AM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 07:47:17 AM »
Hey Mayor, I don't know that much about the digital dashes, I try to steer clear of them, because when I think about trying to match user codes, chipped keys and marrying it up to a new ECUs etc, it makes my head hurt  :laugh:

If you have all the necessary codes or information required, so the installation in a different bike would be easier, I think in the area of 500-800.

If you don't have what's needed for a simple installation and it's going to require a techno weanie to dive into it and crack some mysterious code to marry it up to a new ECU 300-500?

I got a spare nos dash from the po included in my Griso deal, I think he paid in the area of 300-500, but that was a few years ago.

fwiw just wags

edit I just read MOTO's post, I didn't realize that there are now, new and improved dashes with venting, I guess that's why they're $1,200  :laugh: lol.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:53:02 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 07:47:17 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 09:20:04 AM »
I have noticed that the similar Griso dash was updated at some point, so that it has a new, screened vent hole. I expect the same happened to the Breva dash.

Depending upon how knowledgeable a prospective buyer is, your dash might be less desirable if it is the original type, assuming there was such a Breva-version update. I have gotten the impression over the years that the dashes have become more reliable than they were when first released.

EDIT: If you see a round, screened port on the back of your dash, you should advertise it as the revised type.

I never truly believed the Breva and Norge dashes were problematic. I feel like I can count on one hand the number of those that reported failed. It seemed to me the dash failures frequent enough to classify as a 'trend' where the white-face 1200 Sport dashes. I got this one with the bike from the PO, he bought it due to paranoia

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 01:30:11 PM »
I never truly believed the Breva and Norge dashes were problematic. I feel like I can count on one hand the number of those that reported failed. It seemed to me the dash failures frequent enough to classify as a 'trend' where the white-face 1200 Sport dashes. I got this one with the bike from the PO, he bought it due to paranoia

Paranoia runs deep.

I did a lot of science-geeky R&D for the dash moisture problem a while back (https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=84968.0). I do remember finding posts of ruined Breva and Norge dashes, which are essentially the same dash as the 1200 Sport's. One particular failure mode those dashes have, that is not shared with the Griso dash, involves water pooling in the lower left corner of the enclosure. This causes symptoms first with the left turn signal, as I recall, but also can progress to complete failure.

As for ventilation ports, the original Griso- and Breva-type dashes (which are extremely similar in terms of components) both had small, baffled ports that were frequently mistaken for casting channels (I suppose) and thus overlooked by other commentators. The newer, larger (maybe nickel-size) port on the second series of Griso dashes has a membrane screen of some kind, and the original ports are gone. No doubt the screen is good at catching droplets of water, but it probably can't do much with gaseous water vapor, which will condense inside into droplets. (Water molecules are smaller than N2 molecules -- the main component of air, so passing air entails passing water vapor.) The change does show the engineers were aware of the problems and were trying.

I think the problems have subsided over time, maybe. Probably the new dashes (Griso and Breva) are better at reducing the amount of moisture ingested because they exclude droplets. Still, a lot of owners have been willing to invest in a backup dash, and some will need one pronto for a failed dash from time to time. If anyone thinks of his/her CARC Guzzi as a "forever bike," and is less than, oh, sixty-five, I'd recommend getting a reasonably-priced backup. No telling how long Guzzi will still have them made, if indeed any more are being made, which seems unlikely.

I guess I'm the only maniac with a doubly-protected Griso dash: an active, fan-driven desiccant breather and a layer of conformal coating. But I just agreed with a poster on another site who believes a program of externally-applied desiccant bags may be enough. So exactly how much your spare dash is worth depends on the distribution of paranoia among buyers and your own efforts to find a "live one."

Good luck.

Moto

850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 12:14:56 AM »
Hi all,

What do you think is a fair price for a NOS never installed dash for a Breva/Sport/Norge?  its from 2009, back face gauges (not the failure-prone whiteface Sport version). Brand new, never mounted, wrapped in moto guzzi bubble wrap.

If you owned this, what would you be looking to get for it on ebay???

Another wrinkle comes up: The Breva/Sport/Norge dashes, though all basically the same, have pin-outs that differ. I'm not sure which models are incompatible, but I remember problems being reported by someone who mounted a wrong one. I recall that the turn signals didn't work correctly. I've also been told that the "Triangle of Death" indicator may show up after such a swap. Not sure what dealing with that would entail. Sounds bad, huh?

In the case of the OP, it would be important to sell the dash to someone with the same bike, instead of selling it as a generic "Breva/Sport/Norge" item. Or at least to let the buyer know about a possible incompatibility.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline averb

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 03:39:38 AM »
A couple of points, one, the dashes are not all the same, the Sport and the Norge dash have different pin outs and so a Sport dash on the Norge will not operate the indicators correctly and I'm sure there are other issues.
As you can probably tell I don't have a Sport and my dash failed, I have an 850 Breva which uses the same dash as the Norge which is different to the 1100/1200 Breva (I think). When my dash went tits up there were quite a few Brevas suffering the same problem so I don't think the Sport dash is any more problematic than the Breva or Norge dash.
I bring all of this up as I would hate for you to spend big money on a dash that only partially works

Cheers

Steve

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 04:51:49 AM »

Oh trust me, the problem is real, for both the early black-faced Breva, and the later white-faced Sport dashes.

The original on my 2006 failed sometime around 2013.   I bought an NOS white-faced dash (likely for a Euro 1200 Sport, had KM speedo).  That one began failing within a year.     I procured another, used, unit, don't remember if it was white or black faced.     Once I had that in hand, and on the bike, I sold it.   I didn't want to deal with it again.    Between the premature failing clutch, and two dash replacements, I'd poured way more money into the bike that it was worth.

The failure mode on both units was the dot-matrix LCD display.  Initially, it would just garble the display, or go all black after running for a while, then a few seconds, then it was always black.   I was OK with losing most of that display's functionality, but, wanted a functioning odometer w/o having to resort to some add-on device.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 07:11:04 AM »
My B1100 was built 15 years ago.  The clutch and dashboard along with everything else still works delightfully.   My expectation is if the dash hadn’t hiccuped in a decade and a half, I’m good to go!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
To answer the original question of 'what's' it worth, I've found that unused and NOS private sale parts generally run about 50% current retail if unused.

On the dash question, I bought Ohioriders 1200Sport. His original dash's LED screen bit the dust and he had put a black faced Breva/Norge black faced dash. LCD worked, but some of the indicator lights wouldn't work. Directionals, high beam if I recall. I sourced a New Dash for it from one of the reputable parts sources, programmed the dash to the keys and have not had an issue in the last year despite several torrential rain storms while on some of the LD rides.  Keeping my fingers crossed as I love the bike. If the dash LCD craps out again, I'll live with it.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »
To answer the original question of 'what's' it worth, I've found that unused and NOS private sale parts generally run about 50% current retail if unused.

On the dash question, I bought Ohioriders 1200Sport. His original dash's LED screen bit the dust and he had put a black faced Breva/Norge black faced dash. LCD worked, but some of the indicator lights wouldn't work. Directionals, high beam if I recall. I sourced a New Dash for it from one of the reputable parts sources, programmed the dash to the keys and have not had an issue in the last year despite several torrential rain storms while on some of the LD rides.  Keeping my fingers crossed as I love the bike. If the dash LCD craps out again, I'll live with it.

Bulldog can you clarify...  The turn signal, high beam etc function normally... they just aren't indicated by lights on the dash?

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 07:09:27 PM »
Bulldog can you clarify...  The turn signal, high beam etc function normally... they just aren't indicated by lights on the dash?

Roger, sorry about that. All the lights and such worked fine, but the indicators in the dash didn't light up. Bob may be able to recall. I only had the dash on for the 600 miles back to my house when I tore the bike down for cleanup, upgrades and light refresh/going over.  The bike needed nothing mechanical, just fluids and a few details.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here