Author Topic: Ducati ST3, anyone have any experience with these?  (Read 5872 times)

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
Ducati ST3, anyone have any experience with these?
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »
   My BMW r1100 RS is nearing the century mark, in mileage, so I'm looking for an appropriate replacement.

There is a 2005 Ducati ST3 available. I've ridden the ST2 version, and like the ergos, power and handling. Anyone have any thoughts on what to look for, as far as weak points or issues?

I don't know how many miles are on the bike yet, as I just learned of its availability.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:32:11 AM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ducati ST3, anyone have any experience with these?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »
   My BMW r1100 RS is nearing the century mark, in mileage, so I'm looking for an appropriate replacement.

There is a 2005 Ducati ST3 available. I've ridden the ST2 version, and like the ergos, power and handling. Anyone have any thoughts on what to look for, as far as weak points or issues?

I don't know how many miles are on the bike yet, as I just learned of its availability.

ST3s don't have a lot of weak points or issues, by 2005 the ST series bugs had pretty much been worked out. The last piece in the puzzle was the wet clutch, which is smoother, quieter and doesn't require periodic work like the older dry clutch.  The first bug to be fixed was in '99, when they fixed the '98-only weak alternator issue. Of course, desmo valve adjustment is a consideration for all of them (more so on the ST4) and the bodywork is a pain, particularly on earlier STs, but there aren't many bikes so sporty on which you can tour with hard bags and everything you need, on a compact motorcycle (I don't like elephants)

Another issue that was updated was the little retainer for the countershaft sprocket on earlier bikes, replaced by a big nut like other bikes by 2005.  It was a clever idea that allows the owner to change the chain and sprockets with tools he's likely to have on hand, but it wasn't so durable.  Typical Ducati.

I've had a '98 ST2 for about ten years, and just bought an ST4 to replace it yesterday.  I flew myself 400 miles to get it in the morning and rode the bike home before sunset, 77 mph average speed on the way home including fuel stops  :grin:  A friend flew the plane home and it was magically waiting for me when I arrived.

I prefer the earlier ST2 and ST4 models to the ST3, but not on a particularly rational basis - I like the early smaller fairing, no ABS and so on, the sportiest bike that can also be used as a two-up tourer.  The ST3 is for many other people the best of the bunch, and almost all the issues apply to earlier bikes before the 2005 ST3.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:51:31 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »
The ST3 is for many other people the best of the bunch.

I've had an ST2, fun bike.. but wouldn't want the maintenance hassle of the ST4. I eventually preferred the Centauro and now the Mighty Scura, for whatever reason.  :smiley: Horses for courses, as they say.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »
The valve adjustment issues on the ST4 are real...  The bodywork is a pain to remove and the valve adjustment hassle on the Desmoquattro engine is not imaginary.  If I didn't have something else to ride, which will allow for some down time and taking my time on periodic services, I'd probably stick with an ST2 or a V11 Sport.  I believe the ST3 is OK too, especially so since they made the later bodywork less hassle to remove & replace.

I think the upside to the STs in general is the 851/888 Superbike derived chassis, very secure handling, smooth power and (can't omit it on a Guzzi site  :grin:) the exceptional value for used STs.  My ST4 has 7000 miles, has some expensive accessories, is in mint cosmetic condition and was $4500.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:42:03 AM by Tusayan »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »
Thanks guys for the input. I am aware the the valve checks will be more involved than on my
850 Le Mans, and R1100.

So, I'm gathering the the ST3 Ducati, is a later, upgraded version of the original 2 valve ST2? And the
ST4 is a completely different animal.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
Thanks guys for the input. I am aware the the valve checks will be more involved than on my
850 Le Mans, and R1100.

So, I'm gathering the the ST3 Ducati, is a later, upgraded version of the original 2 valve ST2? And the
ST4 is a completely different animal.

Basically, yes. The ST3 was intended as an evolved replacement for the ST2 but has unique three valve/cylinder heads.  The ST4 and ST4S have the engine of the 916 and 996 Superbikes respectively and while they are otherwise much the same as the other STs of the same year, the valve adjustments are quite time consuming.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:49:03 AM by Tusayan »

Offline OregonAl

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:31 AM »
I'm on my second ST3, both 2005 models. It is a fantastic bike to ride, one of my all time favorites. It is very fast, very smooth with excellent suspension and comes with well integrated color matched luggage. I have a couple of suggestions for you if you plan to purchase one.
1. Be sure the bike you get has the red programming key and key card.
2. Make sure all of the idiot lights in the instrument cluster work properly.
3. I would not recommend getting a bike with ABS due to the expense of repair.
4. Try to get a one owner bike with service records.

You should be able to get a 2005 bike for under 4k if you look hard enough.

Al
2010 Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans
2005 Ducati ST3
1998 Ducati 900ss/FE

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »
OregonAl,

The one I'm looking at is a one owner, with a $4000.obo. Not sure if it has ABS, and what the miles are yet. What is the significance of the "red key and card"?
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
I bought an st2 with under 1k—-it was red so it was the fastest—the faster you went the better it handled—-I knew that I would lose my cdl if I was to stay with the duck—sold it and bought a slow goose😢

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
The ST3 is unique in that it has the three valve head...thus the 3 designation.  That means you have two fairly small exhaust valves which leads to a crowded head when it comes to working on the valves.  The ST4 is worse.  You can mitigate the problem a couple ways.  One is to simply remove the heads when you want to check the valves.  It is so much easier to shim the valves when you are sitting at the kitchen table (wife not present!).  The second suggestion is to install better valve shim retainers.  http://www.mbpducati.ca/index.htm?components.htm~mainFrame  Once you have these installed you can go much longer without the valve lash changing.  I had a ST2 for a few years, did all my own maintenance, and after installing the MBP collets I found that the valves stayed set for at least 25K miles.  Of course YMMV.

For the asking price you mention I'd say Go For It.  The ST series is a fantastic value.  I rode my ST2 from VA to CA a couple times with no problems or regrets.  After you get used to taking the plastic off (what a PITA!) it's an easy bike to live with.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
Thanks to all for the good amount of insight on these bikes.

Still awaiting word from the owner about mileage, ABS etc. this is all I got so far....

"I bought new with a clear title.Ducati red ,hard bags, all fairing, keys,all stock 1000cc it goes "

Earlier there was mention of making sure the bike has the " red key". Can you elaborate on why this is important and what exactly is the function of the "red key"?

Thanks all!
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
John, the red key is a big deal.  If you want to make a duplicate key you need the red key to connect the new key to the ECU.  It's sort of like having a master key to the building.  The problem is, you cannot get a replacement red key.  If you lose the red key you are screwed.  As I remember, the keys are chipped and the red key has a special chip that is coded to your specific ECU....no other.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
I recently got an ST3 and I like it a lot. However, it is currently in a crank-but-no start situation - I'm sure I will solve it soon. It's a great motor with some character - a different feel than a Guzzi motor. The handling and comfort is fantastic.

Here's a video of a ride on mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq4-PqouEE&feature=youtu.be
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline motoguzzibill

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
I've owned both an ST2 and 3 (and a 900ss). Liked them all very much. Can't say one was really "better" than the other, just a bit different. The 2 had a much deeper exhaust sound, but I liked the 3 fairing better. My one frustration with the 3 was the inability to obtain a smooth throttle through the turns, which is a big deal to me.

My 3 was an 03' with carbon fiber mufflers and a Power Commander. It was uneven at low RPM (below 3K) before and after installation of the PC. My 2 never had this problem but the FI systems were different. This was a primary reason for selling the bike, besides becoming "more mature" and looking for something a bit more upright.

I don't own any Ducati twins right now having recently sold my 900. But I'm keeping an eye out for a early Monster. I didn't find adjusting the valves much more difficult on the 3, just takes a little bike bonding time. A Ducati is a nice motorcycle.
Bill N   

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 04:53:57 AM »
www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/  is a great group.  I'm a non-mechanic with an ST4s as my only bike.  Just bit the bullet for a major service and hoping for this to be my one long term bike *though I'm leaking a bit of the green stuff at the moment*.  I've had an ST pretty much since '97 when they were introduced.  Red key, yup, I'd pass on any deal without the dreaded red key. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »
Hey Nic -

I joined the Ducati.ms board as well. Seems like good people, and passionate about the brand.

On the coolant leak, I just replaced all the hoses on mine with blue silicone and special clamps from Racebikebits in the UK. Not a very difficult job (once the fairing is off). It seems these bikes are at about the age where the hoses are starting to fail.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
The fastest I personally have ever ridden on a motorcycle (about 220 kph), was back in 2005 on the Autobahn near Frankfurt, on a rented Ducati ST3 like this one. 

It was super smooth at speed and rode like it was on a rail!!!  I almost bought one after that experience. :cool:  I think they are superb sport touring bikes, but like all motorcycles, they required regular maintenance to  remain in tip-top condition. :thumb:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
   Terrific info fellas, thanks.

Unfortunately, I received just one e mail about the bike this past weekend, and nothing since. I really want to follow up with this, but cannot until I hear back from him, through the CL e mail system.

After several attempts to contact him, I am wondering if this bike even exists :sad:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:19:21 PM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »
www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/  is a great group.  I'm a non-mechanic with an ST4s as my only bike.  Just bit the bullet for a major service and hoping for this to be my one long term bike *though I'm leaking a bit of the green stuff at the moment*.  I've had an ST pretty much since '97 when they were introduced.  Red key, yup, I'd pass on any deal without the dreaded red key.

I've found a lot of useful info on the ducati.ms forums, but its not a place I go unless I need a specific piece of info.   The site is so loaded up with advertising and data intensive gee-gaws that it takes forever to load each page, which causes functional problems.  It's a chore even with an ultra fast connection.

The 'Red Key" issue is one of the reasons why I continue to buy and prefer earlier model Ducatis, say 2002 or before.  While I recognize theft is a problem in many areas of Europe where Ducati sells a lot of bikes, I typically don't even remove the keys from my bike when and where I park them, so the security stuff is just another new bike annoyance.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:29:11 PM by Tusayan »

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
Hey Nic, i had a 1995 916 with a coolant leak, and it turned out to be the external thermostat.  I seem to recall my friend's '03 ST4S had the same issue.  Thought it was the hoses.  They are not too expensive if that's your problem. 

BTW - If you are in NY state, do you remember Al Gillen (RIP) from Williamsvile Ducati (and he sold Guzzi too)?  I bought 2 Ducs from him even though i am from Canada and had to import them!  He was an old school character and a great guy.  It was always a treat to visit him and see what he was working on.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
Hey Nic -

I joined the Ducati.ms board as well. Seems like good people, and passionate about the brand.

On the coolant leak, I just replaced all the hoses on mine with blue silicone and special clamps from Racebikebits in the UK. Not a very difficult job (once the fairing is off). It seems these bikes are at about the age where the hoses are starting to fail.
Thanks SCUD.  Will look into these hoses.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »
Hey Nic, i had a 1995 916 with a coolant leak, and it turned out to be the external thermostat.  I seem to recall my friend's '03 ST4S had the same issue.  Thought it was the hoses.  They are not too expensive if that's your problem. 

BTW - If you are in NY state, do you remember Al Gillen (RIP) from Williamsvile Ducati (and he sold Guzzi too)?  I bought 2 Ducs from him even though i am from Canada and had to import them!  He was an old school character and a great guy.  It was always a treat to visit him and see what he was working on.
Hey JPV - my Ducati character was Ed Soucy of Moto Italia in Worcester MA.  He's in Brittany France now, enjoying the good life.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
I've found a lot of useful info on the ducati.ms forums, but its not a place I go unless I need a specific piece of info.   The site is so loaded up with advertising and data intensive gee-gaws that it takes forever to load each page, which causes functional problems.  It's a chore even with an ultra fast connection.

The 'Red Key" issue is one of the reasons why I continue to buy and prefer earlier model Ducatis, say 2002 or before.  While I recognize theft is a problem in many areas of Europe where Ducati sells a lot of bikes, I typically don't even remove the keys from my bike when and where I park them, so the security stuff is just another new bike annoyance.
Red key is more of a problem than a solution to a problem imho
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here