Author Topic: Norge (2011 - Current) Crash Bars  (Read 23837 times)

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
Norge (2011 - Current) Crash Bars
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »
What do you think? Crash bars for the newer style Norge. Think they will fit non-police bikes?

Parts for Frame Police Special Equipment

(5) RH LEGS GUARD TUBE WITH IP (#884182) PART NUMBER: 884182  $129.68

(6) LH LEGS GUARD TUBE WITH IP (#884179) PART NUMBER: 884179  $129.68

(20)  Screw w/flange (#AP8152287)PART NUMBER: AP8152287   $1.25

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2010-2020-moto-guzzis/norge-1200-ie-8v-2010-2013/police-special-equipment-en-norge-1200-ie-8v-2010-2013.html

This picture shows the crash bars in a different location?

canuguzzi

Re: Norge (2011 - Current) Crash Bars
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 05:41:15 PM »
They should fit, doubtful they made a special frame for police bikes. I'm going to inquire if they can be sold to non law enforcement folks. If so and they'll fit, something I will put on.

Looks like they are referencing the lower mount point, not how the bumper appear. Also looks like some minor lower fairing surgery will be needed. Oh well.

I'll buzz them tomorrow, their email contact form has issues.

Good find.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:55:58 PM by Norge Pilot »

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »
Looks lime the seat is adjustable too. Too bad its a solo.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:06:44 PM »
I wouldn't mind having crash bars on my Norge. I think they might come in handy! Plus, I imagine I could mount highway pegs to the front bars and make long distance runs even more enjoyable.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:06:44 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »
I'd also like some engine guards for my 14 Norge.
Let us know what you find out, and thanks.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 09:31:57 PM »
I'd also like some engine guards for my 14 Norge.
Let us know what you find out, and thanks.

+1
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:53:51 AM »
They should fit, doubtful they made a special frame for police bikes. I'm going to inquire if they can be sold to non law enforcement folks. If so and they'll fit, something I will put on.

Looks like they are referencing the lower mount point, not how the bumper appear. Also looks like some minor lower fairing surgery will be needed. Oh well.

I'll buzz them tomorrow, their email contact form has issues.

Good find.

Looks like you can order them. There's a 'Add to Cart' button.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:57:12 AM »
I wouldn't mind having crash bars on my Norge. I think they might come in handy! Plus, I imagine I could mount highway pegs to the front bars and make long distance runs even more enjoyable.

I'm determined to find highway pegs for the Norge, remember finding some custom ones for the FJR. They mounted directly to the engine, were a little offset, but they worked!

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
I'm determined to find highway pegs for the Norge, remember finding some custom ones for the FJR. They mounted directly to the engine, were a little offset, but they worked!

That would be the holy grail...years searching and no luck so far, you'd get a Gold Star for succeeding if you do figure out the mechanics.

Just a note for those considering the original crash bars...it's a less than optimal design, as they create a noticeable amount of vibration based on the fact that they attach to the cylinder head.  Some folks can deal with it, I found it intolerable however and removed them.  Functionally nice and looked good, but really took away from the pleasure of a vibration free ride.  My hopes also at that point were to be able to somehow fashion highway pegs...no dice however.  The police crash bars do look pretty cool though if they were available...but I'd also double check if they create vibration as well.  Just my 1.5 cents.  :)
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »

I'll sure it can be done.  There are some unused & threaded bolt holes at the bottom of the engine block underneath the "chin" fairing.  The pegs could be mounted there.  A hole would have to be cut in the fairing to get the pegs out laterally.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:55:02 AM »
I love the fairing on my Norge, but it does get in the way of bolting stuff to the frame, doesn't it?

If decent crash bars are available for the Norge II, I would seriously consider (carefully) drilling holes through the fairing bits to attach them to the frame. And then I would bolt highway pegs to the front crash bars and cruise on down the highway!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »
Alas, it does not seem like the case guards will work. The mounting poibts are different and would require fabrication. While that in itself isn't a show stopper, it looks like these are not bolt on affairs.

Once you start fabricating it might be as easy or difficult to just have some tubing bent up to make a decent pair as you like. It might cost a little more to have someone do it but then you'd have exactly what you want.

As for vibes. Isolating the pegs if you want to use the holes already there ( look just below the header and between it and the oil cooler cover (looking from the side) should be possible without hacking things up. You'll get some flex but then it isn't going to affect anything. If you use a sleeved kind of damper it would remain pretty stable and not feel like a bendomatic affair. I think McMaster Carr sells something like that.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
Alas, it does not seem like the case guards will work. The mounting poibts are different and would require fabrication. While that in itself isn't a show stopper, it looks like these are not bolt on affairs.

Once you start fabricating it might be as easy or difficult to just have some tubing bent up to make a decent pair as you like. It might cost a little more to have someone do it but then you'd have exactly what you want.

As for vibes. Isolating the pegs if you want to use the holes already there ( look just below the header and between it and the oil cooler cover (looking from the side) should be possible without hacking things up. You'll get some flex but then it isn't going to affect anything. If you use a sleeved kind of damper it would remain pretty stable and not feel like a bendomatic affair. I think McMaster Carr sells something like that.

X'plain please?

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 11:38:03 AM »
X'plain please?
[/quiote]

There are no mounting points for the lower portion if the bars. If you look at the drawing for them, they have forward facing holes while the closest mounting points possible in the Norge we have are sideways.

The mounting part in the diagram is actually just a bolt. The bars are meant for police only bikes, contrary to even what I thought.

Maybe an L bracket of sorts would work but you'd have to buy the bars first and hope everything would line up.

I did call and was advised to go check the mounting points first, the parts are special order only, you order you own it. The advice was good and that is my finding. I could be wrong but as these are just bent tubing it seems that if the need or desire was that great, making up a set might be the better way to go.

I might give it a shot, using copper or plastic tubing to make a prototype and then have someone fan up a righteous set, powder coat them and go with that.

canuguzzi

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »
I love the fairing on my Norge, but it does get in the way of bolting stuff to the frame, doesn't it?

If decent crash bars are available for the Norge II, I would seriously consider (carefully) drilling holes through the fairing bits to attach them to the frame. And then I would bolt highway pegs to the front crash bars and cruise on down the highway!

Using flat stock you might not have to modify the fairing much, just shaving it a bit. Some reinforcement on the back side to compensate for any material you removed and it should be doable. Something on the order of 1/2" thick ought to do it.

Try it with some 1/2" abs and a heat gun.

Another option is to bolt on a plate and then drill it and screw in a rod or tube to extend out. Make it custom to you and have what you want.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »
Using flat stock you might not have to modify the fairing much, just shaving it a bit. Some reinforcement on the back side to compensate for any material you removed and it should be doable. Something on the order of 1/2" thick ought to do it.

Try it with some 1/2" abs and a heat gun.

Another option is to bolt on a plate and then drill it and screw in a rod or tube to extend out. Make it custom to you and have what you want.

Will pull off the lower faring this spring and see what I can figure out!

canuguzzi

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 12:08:59 PM »
Will pull off the lower faring this spring and see what I can figure out!

Too bad we can't get a good pic of how they mount in real life. Drawings seem to be questionable sometimes. Not like we can visit a local PD and take a look, don't know of any using Norge PD models over here.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 07:42:47 AM »

You have to remove the middle fairing panels to install them, so if he doesn't have pics now, you won't get them :)

There's an engine mount roughly behind the blinkers. The middle bar bolts to that on each side. So you have to take the two lowers and the bellypan off, then you have to undo some "bloody hell who thought this was a good idea?" allen key bolts, and remove the middle part of the fairing. Then the engine mounts are visible.

Then you remove some fairing brackets that are in the way, replace the nuts that held them on because under them is another set of brackets that need to be tightish or you can't fit the middle bar to the engine mountings, but you swear that Stucchi are a bunch of incompetent sods before this dawns on you.

Then you wriggle the thing in, making uncomplimentary noises about clearances, and wriggle and push and swear the damn things are too narrow so the holes don't line up and thank God you were bright enough to put a jack under the motor before removing any mounting bolts and make judicious use of a hammer shaped thing to persuade bolts to seat and then realise you forgot the loctite and so do it all again and.... Finally you get the middle bar on and go and have a cuppa.

Then you come back and start the famous "assembly is the reverse of disassembly" with the usual "how the hell did that ever fit" problems. So you wriggle and curse and loosen and tighten and get your hands filthy on what looks like a perfectly clean engine, and finally get it all back together, wishing that you had some 1/4" allen sockets because the 3/8" ones are a tight fit in there.

Then you offer up the side bars and find that you have to remove the 2 rocker cover bolts that you just replaced because there's no way the side bars line up in either plane with the middle bar, wriggle and jiggle till you can bolt the side bars to the middle bar, then find you can't because there's paint in the threads, so you run a tap through that, try again, one side works OK, the other's nearly half a hole out on one rocker bolt and no amount of wriggling or twisting or holding your tongue right will change this. So a bit of a go with a drill (because the only round file on the premises is clearly made for 10mm or larger holes and the Dremel's 5 suburbs away in someone else's shed) and you finally get it all bolted up.

There was, of course, a washer left over.

http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/stucchi-luigi-crash-bars-for-norge.2622/#post-47129
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:49:32 AM by Cool Runnings »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 07:53:14 AM »
Should have brought the Stelvio.  :shocked:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 01:14:17 PM »
I'll sure it can be done.  There are some unused & threaded bolt holes at the bottom of the engine block underneath the "chin" fairing.  The pegs could be mounted there.  A hole would have to be cut in the fairing to get the pegs out laterally.

Harper's Highway Pegs?

http://www.harpermoto.com/harpers-highway-pegs-and-mounts.html

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »
Hepco Becker do crash bars for the Breva.

Maybe they could be made to work?

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

canuguzzi

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »
Should have brought the Stelvio.  :shocked:

:thumb: 

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 04:13:04 PM »
That's an interesting idea!

Don't know if the frame motor-mount is the same for the Norge? If so, I could  punch through the fairing using a hole-saw and then finish with a rubber gasket.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 05:16:48 PM »
I still like the idea of crash bars best, with highway pegs attached to them. I wonder if the Stelvio crash bars would fit (ignoring the Norge's fairing for the moment).

Crash bars would be very helpful on a Norge. As many of us here have discovered, the Norge likes to fall over... (I wish I were kidding.  :wink:)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
Don't know if the frame motor-mount is the same for the Norge? If so, I could  punch through the fairing using a hole-saw and then finish with a rubber gasket.

The same. For just highway pegs no need for the hole saw, just a dremel to make a bit of clearance room. A barrel sanding bit would work very well. With so little material removal needed, if you decided to remove the pegs it would be virtually unnoticeable.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 01:25:32 AM »

Unless you're planning to run two tone horns I looks like you have the perfect brackets for some auxiliary running lights
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
The same. For just highway pegs no need for the hole saw, just a dremel to make a bit of clearance room. A barrel sanding bit would work very well. With so little material removal needed, if you decided to remove the pegs it would be virtually unnoticeable.

I like that!  :thumb:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »
Too bad Mick-O-Pegs doesn't make highway pegs for the Norge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESlh4NIUSXM

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
So, did anyone successfully install these on a 'civilian' Norge?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here