Author Topic: Rocker59's Spine Frame Chronicles...  (Read 118334 times)

Offline Gary Scott

• Guzzigary
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Gary Scott
    • guzzigary52@gmail.com
Re: Rocker59's Spine Frame Chronicles...
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 04:59:25 AM »
Rocker59
This is a great tread keep us informed an ride safe.
Gary
Retirement is treating me just fine.
Working part time now, more hours now than when i was working full time it sucks

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »
The waiting game...

The good folks at MI serviced my Marzocchi forks and installed the WP springs last week.  The forks are on a truck somewhere.  Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow or Friday...

I just placed an order with American Motorcycle Tire for a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada tires.  $228.66 delivered to my door!  They'll be here next week...

Mobil-1 is waiting on the shelf, along with a new hose clamp destined to keep the Roper/Moto Moda sloppage sheet company in the sump...

I'm anxious to take a ride on the Sport 1100.  I guess that's about ten days away, weather permiting...

;D

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 10:32:32 PM »
Rock.....on! ;D
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »
Rocker, you're killing me! I want one...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »
A motorcycle the way God, Guzzi, & Dr. John intended...   ;-T

We got a break in the weather this weekend!  Yesterday, I had the new set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas mounted by my friend Jesse at a local dealership, so I took the opportunity of today's good weather to scrub 'em in...  

This ride also gave me the chance to sample the new suspension.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I sent the forks off to Moto International for some work.  WP fork springs, new seals, and 10wt fork oil.  

My route was a familiar one.  I picked it mainly because I knew it wouldn't be too dirty from recent snows with the remaining sand and chat.  From Fayetteville, AR-16 East then AR-23 South to Turner Bend.  Turner Bend Store is on the Mulberry River.  There's a campground there and canoe rentals.  The store is also a pretty popular place for motorcyclists to stop.  Many of you may have heard of AR-23.  It's known as "The Pig Trail" and is a popular motorcycling road.

My route:  MAP

Well, intial impressions of the Pirelli Diablo Stradas are good.  I wasn't pushing it real hard because the road is still winter dirty, but they have a nice, neutral feel.  A little slow on the initial turn-in, but much better than the Dunlop RoadSmarts I have on the Nero Corsa right now.  The Pirellis actually work really well and I can't wait to push them a little harder on clean pavement.

As for the forks...  Man, what a difference!  The forks match the shock now for the first time.  Much stiffer springing.  Much better damping with the 10wt oil.  This 80 mile shakedown has me very excited about rides to come this year on the trusty old Sport 1100 !!!

;D
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline OregonAl

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 05:22:38 AM »
Well... Did 140 mile jaunt today since the mercury hit over 60.  I have to say I totally agree with my friend about the iridium plugs agreeing with the V11 engine.  It is a different bike.  She just pulls harder plain and simple.  It's the best $16 bucks I've ever put into a bike.  Doesn't seem many have found a difference on this sight and I was sure skeptical when he told me about both his '00 Sport and '02 Lemans pulling harder.  I have always respected my friend since he understands subtly better than anyone I know.  I took the plunge and really had nothing to lose since they last longer anyhow.  He was not joshing.  It is much more Centauro-ish now with these plugs.  It's got bigger gonads and I'm liking it.
My 2 pennies.
-Kevin

Care to share details about the iridium plugs so I can try a set? Thanks.
2010 Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans
2005 Ducati ST3
1998 Ducati 900ss/FE

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »
 My luggage amounted to a Marsee tank bag and a GiVi E50 bolted onto the pillion pad.  The setup worked great and I actually had plenty of luggage space!

Rocker, how has the top box bolted to the pillion pad worked out for you. I got a $10 2nd pad off ebay with the intention of  doing something similar, but the rear tab on the pad just slides under the plastic bodywork and it makes me nervous. Did you reinforce the bodywork in any way?

Bill Lovelady                    IS
Eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »
 My luggage amounted to a Marsee tank bag and a GiVi E50 bolted onto the pillion pad.  The setup worked great and I actually had plenty of luggage space!

Rocker, how has the top box bolted to the pillion pad worked out for you. I got a $10 2nd pad off ebay with the intention of  doing something similar, but the rear tab on the pad just slides under the plastic bodywork and it makes me nervous. Did you reinforce the bodywork in any way?

Bill Lovelady                    IS
Eskimo Spy

Hey Bill,

I really only rode with that setup for one or two trips.  I bolted the GiVi mounting plate straight to the pillion pad.  As you noted, that's not a real secure way to do it because of the way the pillion pad is mounted.  You really need to bolt through the pad to the subframe, but I never attempted that.  To get me by, I used bungees to help secure/stabilize the topbox to the bike.  There are four points with rubber bumpers under the pillion that seem like good places to bolt to.  I've just never pursued it.  On other trips with this bike, I borrowed some soft luggage from a friend that worked out pretty good.  For the past five or six years, I've not taken this bike on any overnight trips.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline jazzamoto

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »
A motorcycle the way God, Guzzi, & Dr. John intended...   ;-T

;D

Great thread Rock. One of the biggest mistakes of my life was buying a '97 Triumph Daytona instead of the Guzzi Sport 1100 sitting right next to it on the showroom floor.
Richmond, CA
'78 Le Mans I
2021 Honda NC 750x DCT
"JAZZAMOTO  predicted it!"

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
Some nice person needs to buy you the factory engine stand.

Does anyone have a picture of/a link to this and if so, would be kind to post it? Just wondering if I could have my brother (he's a metal worker) make one for me. It would be a great birthday present wish :)

This is a home built one. Unfortunatly it's out on loan sitting under a 75% completed V7 sport so pictures of it are not easily obtained but, you get the idea. However for the work that you're doing on the front end, a floor jack and some sort of buffer, i would use a hank of two by four, or your "poly air pillow" would be my weapon of choice!!!!

Joe Walano

Offline Greg Field

• Gaggle Hero
  • The Signs Foretell the Rise of a Guzzi Lama . . .
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 07:24:59 AM »
Well... Did 140 mile jaunt today since the mercury hit over 60.  I have to say I totally agree with my friend about the iridium plugs agreeing with the V11 engine.  It is a different bike.  She just pulls harder plain and simple.  It's the best $16 bucks I've ever put into a bike.  Doesn't seem many have found a difference on this sight and I was sure skeptical when he told me about both his '00 Sport and '02 Lemans pulling harder.  I have always respected my friend since he understands subtly better than anyone I know.  I took the plunge and really had nothing to lose since they last longer anyhow.  He was not joshing.  It is much more Centauro-ish now with these plugs.  It's got bigger gonads and I'm liking it.
My 2 pennies.
-Kevin

I didn't notice any extra power when I put them in my V11, but idle speed increased, so I had to re-set it.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
Just back from a daytrip into the wilds of Northwestern Missouri.  646 miles in 12 hours to retrieve my new trailer.

Yep!  I picked up the trailer I'll soon be pulling behind my Nero Corsa!

For months I've been mulling over what to do about a trailer.  Build my own.  Buy used.  Buy new.  What to buy.  What to build.  

I came up with a plan to use aluminum tubing and a 25x54 Thule cargo box, but just never could get motivated to collect the parts and start the project.  I still like the idea, but I just haven't had the time to mess with it.  I thought of a UniGo, but couldn't find one used.  New ones are too pricey for me right now.  Same goes for most new trailers.  I did find a cool trailer on Ebay that I liked.  It's about the right size at 36x57.  Streamlined and would look good with the Nero Corsa.  But, with shipping, still a little too pricey.  I really like it, though:

Well, I finally stumbled upon Bob Carr up in NW Missouri.  He's been playing with a cool idea in trailers.  Refrigerators!  Yep!  He took a vintage fridge and made it into a trailer to haul his camping stuff in.  People liked 'em, so he's made a few more.  I saw an ad for one that I really liked, so I sent him an email, then visited with him on the phone.

We came to a deal, so this morning, I hit the road and headed North to his place in the Suburban to pick up my new acquisition:

The one I chose measures out to 24x44.  Total width is about 36", something I was trying to stay close to, as that's the width of my NC with bags.  My new trailer is a vintage mini-fridge made by Frigidare sometime about 50 years ago!  It's got independent torsion axles and 8" wheels/tires.

Bob is a cool guy.  Has a nice shop where he tinkers with projects like this during to winter months.  Here's his trailer.  It's all tricked out with LED lighting:

He's working on one I'd have bought, if it had been complete.  It's a "Cromwell" fridge and has the coolest door I've ever seen.  It's got an automotive style center crease/peak and some faux louvers.  Very '50s looking.  It's 30x57, I think.  Very cool!!!

So, after visiting for awhile, he helped me load my little trailer into the back of the Suburban, and I headed South for home.  Nice drive today.  Temps in the 30s, but it was foggy most of the day.  The freezing fog this morning was cool.  I really enjoyed seeing a part of the country I'd not yet seen.  This was my first trip up I-35 North out of Kansas City.

So, here are a few pics I snapped once I arrived home and unloaded the new trailer:

So there you have it.  Now all I have to do is install and adapt the UniGo hitch I have in the garage.  Hopefully I'll be pulling it to Fools on a Hill in a month...

;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:15:51 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

ROBOTMAN

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »
Cool.  Does he take the insulation out?

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Cool.  Does he take the insulation out?

Yeah.  It's just the sheetmetal shell.  Plywood floor.  Automotive carpet liner.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
Very cool idea.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
cooool beans Mike....new Sport front end and trailer for the the black one. 

Are you goiong to fooldson a hiill?  You should be set.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »
Hey Mike, cool setup.  any idea on the total weight and tongue weight?  May have to do something similar myself.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »
cooool beans Mike....new Sport front end and trailer for the the black one. 

Are you goiong to fooldson a hiill?  You should be set.

Yes!  Planning on making The Fools on a Hill campout!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »
Hey Mike, cool setup.  any idea on the total weight and tongue weight?  May have to do something similar myself.

I've not weighed it, yet, but the builder said 140-lbs.  It feels lighter than that to me.

Empty, the tongue weight feels like 12 or 15 lbs.

I'll be testing it ASAP.

I need to get some parts for my hitch.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2010, 08:17:02 AM »

I've not weighed it, yet, but the builder said 140-lbs.  It feels lighter than that to me.

Empty, the tongue weight feels like 12 or 15 lbs.

I'll be testing it ASAP.

I need to get some parts for my hitch.
Wow, that is light.  I have and old 40's model fridge and the little harbor freight trailer.  Hmmm....
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Seagondollar

• Gaggle Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »
Now how to figure out a tidy tail/trailer hitch combo.   ::)
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - � morto

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
Now how to figure out a tidy tail/trailer hitch combo.   ::)

Tail tidys are OK for sunny-day bikes, but I ride in too much rain to reduce the already skimpy fender coverage...

:D
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
I see this thread has taken a side trip to the "dark side" of motorcycling. ;-T ;D I'm always for "other" thinking.  Good luck with the project.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Michael D

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
That is really really neat!  Always cool when a durable good that reached the end of it's useful life goes on with another role to play.

You know everyone going to be hitting you up as the official beer run coordinator.   12, 18, 24 packs, yeah, you can haul them!  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:52:26 PM by Michael D »
74 V7 Sport
98 V11 EV
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
    Good read Rocker. I also have a 96 Sport with 123,000 miles on her. It looks like you have the exact same swing arm stand and engine jack I have. I bought mine used, with 3500 miles on her, from a guy in Jasper Arkansas. I've been on some of those roads you listed. The Ozarks is my favorite place to ride.
    A good remedy for the long reach to the bars is to swap them left for right and flip them upside down. Way better than Heli bars. I'm comfortable doing multiple 750 mile days with the bars like this. I use a Ventura Rack-Pack system for trips. Good for about a 10 day trip.
   I plan on fitting the Keihin carbs one day, the way it was meant to be.
   I've owned alot of bikes over the years. I wish I still had a couple of them. I won't make that mistake with the Sport. I will never sell her.
                            Steve

mike wilson

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2010, 06:55:58 AM »
How do the door seals stand up to bad weather?  I can't see that he's made any modifications to them.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
How do the door seals stand up to bad weather?  I can't see that he's made any modifications to them.

I'll have to let you know later this year when it gets pulled in the rain.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
Whew!  This has been a bad winter.  I finally got the Nero Corsa out for its first ride of the year today.  Temp got up to around 50-degrees.  Sky was partly sunny!  Not bad!

Today's ride was just a backroads ramble with a new passenger.  We were gone for a three hours, or so, and covered around a hundred miles, I guess.

No complaints from the 5'-9" passenger...  Who says you can't ride 2-up on a Spine Frame Guzzi?

Points of interest included Devil's Den State Park, Lake Fort Smith State Park, and Artist's Point on old US-71.  Oh, and some really great twisty Ozarks byways...  

Fools on a Hill in Two weeks!  Woo, Hoo!

8)
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

VA Sean

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
Glad you're out and about, Mike!
I love the new conversion fridge/trailer - and I think it looks great.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Glad you're out and about, Mike!
I love the new conversion fridge/trailer - and I think it looks great.

Yeah, it was a nice little loop.

Here's the route:  Map Link

You'll have to come back and ride some local twisties sometime!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here