Author Topic: Rocker59's Spine Frame Chronicles...  (Read 119409 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Rocker59's Spine Frame Chronicles...
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 12:35:56 AM »
Winter Projects...

As delivered, the rear Ohlins spring is pretty soft (by sporty standards...  It's still a log wagon in comparison to something like an '07 Norge   ;) ).  I've been keeping my eye on Ebay for Ohlins springs.  Recently I won an auction on a 1093-36/105 spring to replace the 1091-26/85 that was original equiment on the bike.  The 1093 spring is 10mm shorter, but much stiffer (600-lbs vs. 485-lbs), and should improve the bike's handling when riding 2-up, when loaded for camping, AND when I'm feeling like dragging a few hard parts on a nice Sunday afternoon:

stay tuned...

Finally got the Ohlins spring installed on the Nero Corsa tonight.  The roadtrip to Fools on a Hill with Marcia and camping gear really overtaxed the wimpy stock 1091-26/85 spring.

Last week, I added some eyebolts to the ceiling of the garage so I could accomplish this task more easily since I still don't have a centerstand on the Nero Corsa.  

To get to the shock, I had to remove the fuel tank, the side covers, and the airbox.  I then unbolted the shock and pulled it off the bike.  Then, I used the tool I bought from Moto International to loosen the stock spring, remove the collar, and slide off the old spring...

Then, I reassembled the shock with the new 1093-36/105 spring.  It's about 10mm shorter than the OEM spring, but much stiffer.  I added about 15mm of preload, then reinstalled the shock into the Nero Corsa, then reversed my steps from earlier...  Airbox, sidecovers, fuel tank...

Marcia happened to be over at the house, so after buttoning things up and putting the tools away, we hopped onto the bike for a little roadtest...

After a few miles of bumpy twisties near the house, all I can say is "WOW!!!"  What a difference the new spring makes in the way the bike feels two-up.  Night and Day!  The bike was actually fun to ride with a passenger tonight.  It felt more like work with the soft stock spring, but more "normal" with the new stiffer spring.  

Tomorrow, we'll go on a 200 mile ride with the folks from the locak BMW shop.  I'm anxious to see how the bike performs...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
Was that a spring compressor tool that you borrowed?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »
Just in from the Uncle Calvin surprise campout...  500 mile overnighter with the trailer.  Add that to the 670 last weekend for the Swamp Goose campout and I'm working on 1200 miles of mototrailerpulling. ..  Trailering is different.  It's sure nice to be able to haul a bunch of camping gear in the trailer and a passenger on the pillion!

Several people have asked, so I weighed the trailer tonight when I got home... 

Loaded:
Tongue weight right at 25-lbs
Trailer weight right at 239-lbs

I'll get the empty weight later this week after I get it unloaded...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
I haven't posted to this thread in awhile.  There area  few ride reports out there that mention pulling the trailer with the Nero Corsa.  It's actually working out quite well and has allowed me to haul a passenger AND camping gear to some great events this spring!  Swamp Goose, Uncle Calvin, SWMO...  I've got some refining of hitch and trailer to do, but 1500 miles of 2-up trailering under my belt and I'm really digging it!

This weekend was something different, though...  I wanted to make the 25th Annual MGNOC Illinois Rally...  I'd heard lots of great things about the rally, and I'd never been to that part of the country, so I decided to check it out.  Work's been tough lately, so I could only make it a one-nighter.  People looked at me funny when I told them I was riding 500 miles to camp one night, then riding back home...  But, hey, the destination is great and all, but riding is what it's all about...

I've got some fresh Diablo Stradas on the Sport 1100, and I've been wanting to test its legs for an IBA BB1500 I have in mind, so the decision was made:  Leave early Saturday morning and quickly ride the 500 miles up to the Illinois Rally, enjoy the scene, then take in some sights along The River Road coming back.  Well, the bike performed flawlessly even though this thousand mile weekend was more miles than I'd ridden it in the past year!  Fast, comfortable, and great fuel economy!  Who says you can't tour on a spine-frame?

The outwardbound leg covered right at 505 miles and nine hours.  With a bit of a tailwind, it returned 49mpg on the first tank,48mpg on the second and third tanks!  Not bad for a bike with a pair of Keihin FCR41s, Staintunes, and a K&N in the airbox!  The homeward leg covered about ten additional miles and took me an additional hour-and-a-half because of photo stops and a lunch stop!

I couldn't be happier with how the bike performed!

Preparing for departure at the Faux Chateau:

At Big River State Forest, home of the Illinois State Rally:

High Noon Sunday in Hannibal, Missouri:

The Landing in Hannibal.  Those bricks/cobble stones feel real funny on a motorcycle!:

A storefront window in Hannibal.  What a pretty picture!   ~;
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:28:59 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2010, 07:29:37 AM »
Great to see you again Mike.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »

A storefront window in Hannibal.  What a pretty picture!   ~;

I can never do a picture like that with a digital camera.  Whether the Olympus I had, or the Kodak I have now, no matter what setting I use, whenever I push the buttom to take a picture, the camera goes:

"Hey, someone pushed the button!   I guess they want me to take a picture!   Well let's see now, have we got enough light?  Yes, looks like it.   Is it set on video or photo?    Photo, I think.   Do we need to adjust the focus?  Motor, move the lens a bit.  Good, right there, hold it.   So lets get to it; shutter, are you ready to open?  You are?   All right then, let's do this!"

so about a second and half after I beg the camera to snap a photo, , the camera finally gets around to it,  AFTER the event I want to capture has happened ....

These things must hate me as much as I hate them.  There's a lesson here.

Good photos and a good travelogue!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
You need a faster card, Lannis.. I think. At least a fast card made a world of difference on mine.
Sorry I forgot to officially meet you at Illinois, Rocker.. crs kinking in again.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »
Sorry I forgot to officially meet you at Illinois, Rocker.. crs kinking in again.

Unfortunately, I didn't arrive until around 4pm Saturday.  I walked around the grounds a bit on Saturday evening after the BBQ dinner, but I didn't get to meet as many people as I had hoped...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

redridinghood

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
That beautiful red bike sure looks lonesome without a passenger on the pillion....<divclass="msgbox">Nofilesuploaded!</div>

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »
That beautiful red bike sure looks lonesome without a passenger on the pillion....<divclass="msgbox">Nofilesuploaded!</div>

Finally, your first post...

Maybe next time...   ;)

Do I need a hitch for this one, too?   :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:58:24 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »

Maybe next time...   ;)

Sounds suspiciously like "asking permission".   Careful, now ....  :D

Lannis

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2010, 06:25:21 AM »

Maybe next time...   ;)

Better stick with the Nero red that Sport might get a bit uncomfy for you.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »

Maybe next time...   ;)

Better stick with the Nero red that Sport might get a bit uncomfy for you.

Dean

I would have thought that the basic ergonomics on the two bikes would be very close to the same ... ?

Lannis

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2010, 07:28:10 AM »
Similar, but noticeably different.

On the Sport 1100, for the passenger, the pegs are a bit higher and narrower.  The seat is wider and flatter.  The seat is stepped.

She's been on a few rides on the back of the Sport 1100 and likes it.  She likes being able to see over me (I'm leaned more forward because of the low clipons).  And, she likes the fact that she can see what's behind us in the mirrors.

As for the pilot, the Sport 1100 is narrower at the feet and the knees.  The bars are Ducati 916 low.  Seat and pegs are in the same position as on the V11 LeMans, though the seat is flatter and wider on the Sport 1100.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

redridinghood

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »
The Sport is actually more comfortable for me. I like the wide, flat seat, and love the higher pegs. Sounds wierd, I know, but it really feels more natural. If I hadn't spent years practicing yoga, I might have a different perspective, but I love it!  I can't wait to get on it again.

hint....hint.... ;)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »

She's been on a few rides on the back of the Sport 1100 and likes it.  She likes being able to see over me (I'm leaned more forward because of the low clipons).  

"Being able to see over me" is one of my pillion's greatest wishes .... I'm constantly on the hunt for a combination of stepped seat and workable bars (I couldn't do Ducati 916 clip-ons, can do older Lemans low bars) that will work for us both.

Lannis

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »

She's been on a few rides on the back of the Sport 1100 and likes it.  She likes being able to see over me (I'm leaned more forward because of the low clipons).  

"Being able to see over me" is one of my pillion's greatest wishes .... I'm constantly on the hunt for a combination of stepped seat and workable bars (I couldn't do Ducati 916 clip-ons, can do older Lemans low bars) that will work for us both.

Lannis

There was a great '97 Sport 1100 on ebay awhile back.

Naked.  It had Centauro headlight/guages and a ProTaper bar.

Would've been a great all 'rounder...

Unfortunately, the owner got impatient and broke it down for parting out...

:(
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

ROBOTMAN

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »
She likes being able to see over me (I'm leaned more forward because of the low clipons).

You're a better man than I, my friend.  I found the weight of a passenger coming down on my back made my wrists sore in a hurry on that bike.  Even a tiny little bit of a thing (115 lbs?) was a problem after about half an hour. 

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2010, 10:40:32 PM »
Yep, took the wife for a short 60 mile ride & that was the first & last - neither of us are eager to go two-up on the torture rack again. Though I may have sabotaged the experience by giving her a loose fitting open face helmet that acts like a para-sail - I think the helmet strap was partially embedded into her chin after that ride. :D
Flippity Floppity Floop

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
Redridinghood and I did 135 miles of curvy Ozarks highways on the Sport 1100 a few weeks ago.

Nothing but fun!

Of course, she's done 1500 miles on the back of the Nero Corsa this spring, too, so she's probably just as insane as I am!!!   ~;

You folks who have your passengers putting too much weight on you should have them place thier hands on the tank or top of your thighs and put thier weight there.  They can also support themselves with their legs.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2010, 10:57:48 PM »
On seeing my '93 Daytona monoposto.  The girlfriend asked "Where do I sit?"  I told her that she doesn't ride with me on that bike.  That's why I have the other bikes. ;D ;D
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2010, 07:27:53 AM »
My wife does not lean against me at all. The HB rack helps a lot in that aspect. If she gets nervous the handles on the saddlebags are nearby to hang onto.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
You guys aren't listening to rocker59 with his "...you should have them place their hands on ... top of your thighs " .    It's a progressive strategy, apparently.  ;-T

On the other hand, that would be worse than using a cell phone ...  :o   :D

Lannis

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2010, 07:35:46 PM »

On the road in Kansas this past weekend.  Another 700 miles with pillion and fridge:

;-T

I'll try to put the ride report together this week...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2010, 06:22:39 AM »

On the road in Kansas this past weekend.  Another 700 miles with pillion and fridge:

;-T

I'll try to put the ride report together this week...

Hey Mike, the Fridge is to carry Her Stuff right?

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:54 PM »
Been awhile since I've added to this thread...  Didn't ride a lot during July and August.  It was hot here this year, and it was the busy season at my job...

I rode the Sport 1100 over to the Oklahoma Chow Down at Okarche in early July.  

...and again to the Four States Chowdown in early August.  Two-up, this time...

August 21, and it was the Nero Corsa's turn for a two-up ride to the Oklahoma Chow Down in Ponca City.

And that's where it happened...  Rolling in to Barnsdall, Oklahoma (200 miles from home) the Shift System Spring in my Nero's tranny broke, leaving me with only 5th gear...  I wasn't about to end my trip early, so I (very gingerly) babied the bike onward to Ponca City, then to Cherokee, Kansas for the night.  Luckily, the country out there is big and flat, with few stops.  The trusty Nero Corsa made it home, travelling over 300 miles two-up with trailer stuck in 5th gear...

Well, what prompted this post tonight was an email from Todd at MPH, letting me know that my parts were on the way.  This is actually the first breakdown I've had on a spine frame Guzzi after riding the two I have for a total of almost sixty thousand miles.  Pretty good track record, me thinks...  The Nero Corsa has travelled just over 32,000 miles with the broken odometer at 12,000 miles the only repair I've had to perform...  Heck, I've never had to mess with the efi, or anything on this bike!  It's been a good one!!!

Now, I have a deadline looming and work to do on the Nero...  In a couple weeks I'm planning to leave on an all-Guzzi road trip to Northern New Mexico...  Santa Fe/Taos/etc...  2,000+ miles of moto-goodness...  This weekend I'll be performing surgery on my trusty mount and readying it for this year's western adventure.

Stay tuned for the gory details...    :BEER:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2010, 03:45:55 AM »
Good luck on the repairs and the roadtrip.  Any chance of pix for that repair?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
Been awhile since I've added to this thread...  Didn't ride a lot during July and August.  It was hot here this year, and it was the busy season at my job...

And that's where it happened...  Rolling in to Barnsdall, Oklahoma (200 miles from home) the Shift System Spring in my Nero's tranny broke, leaving me with only 5th gear...  I wasn't about to end my trip early, so I (very gingerly) babied the bike onward to Ponca City, then to Cherokee, Kansas for the night.  Luckily, the country out there is big and flat, with few stops.  The trusty Nero Corsa made it home, travelling over 300 miles two-up with trailer stuck in 5th gear...

How did you get the bike rolling with a load in 5th gear?   Sort of clutch/declutch, clutch/declutch until it was rolling?   Even 10 MPH in 5th gear is below idle speed ... sounds like a real motivation never to stop! 

I always wondered how Wild Bill Gelbke was able to get "Roaddog" in and out of gas stations, you probably know now!

Lannis

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
I wonder how he was able to make turns at slow speed. ;D

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »
How did you get the bike rolling with a load in 5th gear?   Sort of clutch/declutch, clutch/declutch until it was rolling?   Even 10 MPH in 5th gear is below idle speed ... sounds like a real motivation never to stop! 

Lannis

I had to slip it up to about 20mph.  The bike would pull from 1800rpm.  Basically, I turned it up to about 1500rpm and slowly fed it clutch until it was engaged all the way.  that was usually about 1/2 a block, about 1800rpm and about 20mph.  Once engaged, I just rolled the throttle on very slowly until it was over 3500rpm, then it was no worries.

It was a pain.  I had to do about 20, or so, starts on the way home and could smell clutch a couple of times...  But, I was surprised at how tractable the V11 engine remained in that situation.  Severe duty, for sure, but it got me home like Guzzis usually always do...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here