Author Topic: How, or how not, to pronounce "Norge" merged threadfest  (Read 58876 times)

Offline PICKLEKOOKEN

• Gaggle Mentor
  • 74 ELDO ( MOTHER GOOSE) 2007 NORGY
Re: How, or how not, to pronounce "Norge" merged threadfest
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
 :D :D :D :D Me I Call mine the Norgy. ~; ~;Pic.
So many curves. so little time!

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 06:40:56 PM »
I don't ride a Goosy, I ride a Guzzi, pronounced the Italian way (gootsie). Both the Italians and the Norwegians say Norrgeh, so that's how I'll pronounce it.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Pfaff!

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate"
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »
..... the Norwegians say Norrgeh, so that's how I'll pronounce it.

As said before, no they don't.  ;D

Half of them says NOREG, pronounced with a root-of-tongue R (like thr French pronounce it), the other half says NORGE, pronounced with a tongue-tip R, like the rest of the world, except for the English- and Sino/Japaneese speaking, who apparently doesn't pronounce R at all.  ~;

Think I've said enuff here; won't have a Lemon piston in my neck from Pebra.  :D
Anders Holt

Breva V 750 ie "Rossinante" '03. Running fine ever since. Sold.
Pushing bikes these days.

"El camino amigo, el camino y nada mas"

biking sailor

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 07:00:11 AM »
Just call it your "Guzzi Bitch" and leave it at that! (of course it is "Goot-See")  ;D

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 07:00:11 AM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
Ok, now that I almost own a Norge, what is the correct pronunciation???

Well, we know how the Swedes would pronounce it and how the Italians would pronounce it and how the Norwegians would pronounce it.

Most of the people I talk to on a daily basis being American, it makes more sense to me to pronounce it like an American would pronounce it rather than trying to sound like someone from Scandinavia or Italy, which I'm not, so I say "Norj".

How would someone speaking Mandarin pronounce it?   There's more of them than anyone in the world, seems like THAT would be the way to go .. ?   :D

Lannis

Y'ep..... but if I bought a Chiang-Jiang I'd pronounce it properly too.  Since we're talking about an Italian bike made by Moto Guzzi.  I'll pronounce it the way they would.  You of course can say whatever you want.  Your dime.  :P  Call it a Honda if you want.  ;D

Maybe, but it just sounds pretentious to me.   I don't say "SAHNT-i-meter" just because it's a French derived word and the French pronounce it that way.

And if you go to BYOO-na VISS-ta, Virginia, you can pronounce it "BWAY-na VEES-tha" with your tongue between your teeth if you want to, but people there will just laugh at you, even if the town name IS Spanish for "Lovely View".   :D  But never mind that; you'll be secure in your OWN mind that you are pronouncing it CORRECTLY   P:)   ;)

Lannis

This probably pains Lannis as much as it does me, but I agree with his every word.   ;D

I almost hurl when those newsreaders on NPR -- National Communist Radio -- go out of their way to show that they can fake an accent, roll their "r's," and pronounce every foreign city in the manner of the residents there.  Almost as bad as my Italophile friends -- nothing wrong with being that sort of 'phile, you understand  ;) -- who insist on saying "Milano," "Firenze," etc. after nauseating etc. 

When in Roma, it's Roma; here, it's Rome.  Italy and Georgia.

So, I ride a Norge (Norj), tho I do find biking sailor's suggestion charming.   :D

Testily (mostly because the @#$%^ grandbabies slobbered their germs all over me and I'm still sick),

Bill

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »
When in Roma, it's Roma; here, it's Rome.  Italy and Georgia.

That's right - thoroughly agree about pronouncing Rs and foreign sounds in general, and wouldn't think of saying "Paris" the way they do in France, any more than I'd try to pronounce "Norge" when I mean "Norway".

But there's that, and then there's ignorance.  To ask an English speaker how to pronounce a word he or she has never seen, and then accept that as the correct pronunciation, is to embrace ignorance.

I personally detest the name, I think it's a major f--up that one of their more appealing recent models has a name whose pronunciation is so ambiguous.  Right now we seem to be tilting towards the theory that in Norway and even Italy the G is the hard one, at the back of the tongue, but earlier I thought the rumor was that Moto Guzzi tells people it's "soft", i.e., NOR-JEH.  Gah.  I agree, call it a "Norway".

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
V12GT would've been so much simpler... 

There's no reason why they can't call a bike one thing in one country and something else in another.  I would imagine there are no English-speaking members on the marketing team...

However, the name "Norge" does have significance to the folks in Mandello.  We're constantly bashing them for not using thier heritage.  It's named after the 1928 GT 500 "Norge".

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »

As said before, no they don't.  ;D
Half of them says NOREG, pronounced with a root-of-tongue R (like thr French pronounce it), the other half says NORGE, pronounced with a tongue-tip R, . - . -
Think I've said enuff here; won't have a Lemon piston in my neck from Pebra.  :D

Oh come off it Anders, you know nobody believes one word of what you're saying!   :D
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
If they'd have called it the Kelvinator, we wouldn't be having this discussion.   :BEER:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

scooterjock

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
If you are secure in your sexuality and manhood, you would call it Nor-Gay. 

But on the other hand, if you were a typical BMW rider, you would have to say Nor-Ja.  Like, "Ja vol mein capitan."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »
Maybe, but it just sounds pretentious to me.   I don't say "SAHNT-i-meter" just because it's a French derived word and the French pronounce it that way.

And if you go to BYOO-na VISS-ta, Virginia, you can pronounce it "BWAY-na VEES-tha" with your tongue between your teeth if you want to, but people there will just laugh at you, even if the town name IS Spanish for "Lovely View".   :D  But never mind that; you'll be secure in your OWN mind that you are pronouncing it CORRECTLY   P:)   ;)

Lannis

This probably pains Lannis as much as it does me, but I agree with his every word.   ;D

Bill

I must have a terrible memory.   I don't ever remember disagreeing in any way with you, or you being rude and uncivil to anything I said.   If you've disagreed with me on the forum, I probably learned something from it!     Maybe I told a lawyer joke in 2008, but that would have been about it ....

So no pain here!    And "I agree with Lannis" is #2093 on Google's "most commonly found phrase on the Internet" ....   :D :D

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 06:16:50 PM »
OK, all you lingui-purists have won me over - I will from this time forward refer to my Calvin as a Motogootsie Colliforneea Vintagay... appropriate Latin gesturing included.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
OK, all you lingui-purists have won me over - I will from this time forward refer to my Calvin as a Motogootsie Colliforneea Vintagay... appropriate Latin gesturing included.

il moto del vecchio      :BEER:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Bill Hagan

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »

Lannis

Bill

I must have a terrible memory.   I don't ever remember disagreeing in any way with you, or you being rude and uncivil to anything I said.   If you've disagreed with me on the forum, I probably learned something from it!     Maybe I told a lawyer joke in 2008, but that would have been about it ....

So no pain here!    And "I agree with Lannis" is #2093 on Google's "most commonly found phrase on the Internet" ....   :D :D

Lannis

Sorry.  I wasn't serious.  We lawyers have to be very careful about being taken seriously when we think we are hilarious!  ::)   Maybe, too, I was just feeling insecure in my sexuality and manhood or discovered, to my dismay, that I was a typical BMW rider.    ;D  That post, scooterjock, was VERY funny.  Wayne, a.k.a. WHO, and other labels often accuses me of being a repressed beemerist.  He knows it hurts.   :'(

Bill

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:05 AM »
In Colorado, the towns Genoa and Arriba are pronounced Gen OH uh and ARR uh buh; the city of Cairo, IL is pronounced Kay row (like the syrup). Berlin, MA is pronounced  BURL in.
Whatever you call your bike is the right pronounciation.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »
In Colorado, the towns Genoa and Arriba are pronounced Gen OH uh and ARR uh buh; the city of Cairo, IL is pronounced Kay row (like the syrup). Berlin, MA is pronounced  BURL in.
Whatever you call your bike is the right pronounciation.

You nailed it Crusty!  In the 40 years I've been riding Guzzi I've heard almost all of the different pronounciations. And not one of them have bothered me. At 151 pounds I can't afford arguments.
Tex

David Lee

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 07:16:58 AM »
In Colorado, the towns Genoa and Arriba are pronounced Gen OH uh and ARR uh buh; the city of Cairo, IL is pronounced Kay row (like the syrup). Berlin, MA is pronounced  BURL in.

Oh! Thread drift!
Can I play?
New Berlin Texas is "BURR-lin".
Edinburgh Scotland is "ED-in-BURR-oh", but Edinburgh Texas is, "ED-in-burg".
Elgin (EL-gin) Texas is named after Elgin (EL-jin) Illinois.
I live near Guadalupe (GUAD-ah-loop) County Texas where the the river is (GUAD-ah-loopy) and a local church is Our Lady of (WADDA-loopy).

oldmanjob

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:53 AM »
Boy, am I glad i own a V7C :o ;D :D ;-T ;-T ;-T :BEER: :BEER: :BEER:

Bill

Bill Hagan

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »

Bill

Do you pronounce that "Vee sette chee?"    :D

http://tinyurl.com/GuzziV7C

Another Bill

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
I live near Guadalupe (GUAD-ah-loop) County Texas where the the river is (GUAD-ah-loopy) and a local church is Our Lady of (WADDA-loopy).

The one I hear about all the time is how you all pronounce "Pedernales".

oldmanjob

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »

Bill

Do you pronounce that "Vee sette chee?"    :D

http://tinyurl.com/GuzziV7C

Another Bill

according to the web site (I like it ;-T) it is also known as Vee sette classic  :D ;D

The other Bill :D

healeyblue

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
My Norwegian friends pronounce the name of the country more like "norrr guh".
Norway in Italian is "Norvegia" with a soft g. There is no word "Norge" in Italian that I know of.

One could call it a "Norj" but that would sound funny to anyone but a "Murican".
Kind of like someone from Mexico talking about the "New Jork Jankees".

Guess among us Guzzisti is just "don't make no nevermind". We'll all no of which bike you speak. ;-T

Offline moltoguzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
Parla Italiano?  "Norgay".  Italiano moto.  Vaffanculo "Norj"!!  
Well that caused me to clean up my computer screen after the cream soda spray.  :D

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »
Needless to say.  A number of the Americanos are "testa de merda" with the pronounciation thing.  ~; ;D
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Pfaff!

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate"
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
OK guys.
The unforgettable pronunciation lesson by our old friend Sunbow is still there.
See the Norge as a faired Breva, and start learning from here:

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3035462340079646055JLnzAB

You can't miss the music. ;D

:)
Anders Holt

Breva V 750 ie "Rossinante" '03. Running fine ever since. Sold.
Pushing bikes these days.

"El camino amigo, el camino y nada mas"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
So to further refine things, is it TUP-per-ware or TUP'ER-ware?

~;

Offline pat manning

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »
How do they say Jackal in Italy?  ???
Homer Glen, IL.
'01 Jackal "the best looking black Jackal in the known universe"
Moto Guzzi Wrist Watch #005

oldmanjob

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
A guy I know insists on saying everything the way the natives of the respective countries do.  Insists on calling Jag's by the Brit pronunciation and Subies by the Japanese pronunciation.  I think he feels "international" when he does it.

I don't care what is meant.  And I still call mine a Guzzy not a Gutzi.  I also call our local river the Rio Grand, not Grandy.  So, yeah, I would call it a Norj, just like the appliances.  And a Chevy is not a Chebby.

But, I've been to parts of this country where I couldn't understand a word that was being spoken (and it was some variety of english, not mexican-spanish).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2011, 04:28:16 AM »
errrrr whada you said???  Wot you mean brah???  ;D  Dey no talk wrong.  You listen wrong.  :D
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here