Author Topic: 2015 Indian Scout merged threadfest  (Read 102101 times)

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2015 Indian Scout merged threadfest
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
List price is less than my '98 EV was new. Big bang for the buck if you into cruisers. First thing to go would be the fenders.

Pete

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »
I think this is a really good looking bike. It appears to be well built and seems to have a high degree of fit and finish. I wish Indian well and welcome them. They are sure to put the heat on H-D to step up their game a little, not that they have been slouching. IMHO, H-D does absolutely nothing for me. I find their bikes to be bland in just about every way. However, a lot of folks support them because they do produce a good high quality product that they want. Now along comes Indian and their good looking, well built, bikes.
I think H-D and Indian are going to be competing very heavily for quite a while and we as the consumers are going to reap the benefits.
I will say this though, I was a little taken back when I realized that they had affixed the name Scout to a huge, almost 1200cc bike. But then I thought about this for a moment and concluded that the displacement wars has raised the level of mid-displacement bikes way up to around 1200cc.
Perhaps Indian will unveil a Junior Scout at around the 750cc range to compete with H-D's new street series. Ah, crap! now I have to retract my earlier statement about H-D doing nothing for me. I forgot about the Street series. Those I kind of dig.
Skippy   
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
I do wish Polaris (Victory) well with their new Indian lines of bikes. However, I have yet to see an Indian in the flesh. Are they not selling many of them?

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
 Another thing I like is that it doesn't weigh 600 LB's. I never understand why they make cruiser's so heavy. Still over my 500lb limit that I think a new bike should weigh.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
 Watch it on the Wall of Death. at 3:42
http://youtu.be/Zny8Wdpk9Gk
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Gary

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »

Because they are both higher HP, < 1200cc, OHC (I assume), water-cooled, 60° twins...more in common with a V-Rod then.

Surely you jest. It has little in common with the V-Rod. More to the point, I believe it is safe to say that Polaris is targeting the Sportster, a bike that actually sells in numbers. The Scout is only 1130 cc while the Rod is 1250. The angle of the cylinder comparison is a stretch at best. The V-Rod weighs 100+ pounds more and costs 50% more (approx. $15K). Polaris is not targeting the V-Rod. The Sportster however is comparable in weight and price point. In my opinion, the Indian package is a very real and compelling alternative to the Sporty.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
Surely you jest. It has little in common with the V-Rod. More to the point, I believe it is safe to say that Polaris is targeting the Sportster, a bike that actually sells in numbers. The Scout is only 1130 cc while the Rod is 1250. The angle of the cylinder comparison is a stretch at best. The V-Rod weighs 100+ pounds more and costs 50% more (approx. $15K). Polaris is not targeting the V-Rod. The Sportster however is comparable in weight and price point. In my opinion, the Indian package is a very real and compelling alternative to the Sporty.

Dude, really...look, it's obvious THEY are targeting the Sportster because haven't the literally stated that in the press release.

But as a four time Sportster owner I'm telling you that the cubic centimeter similarity is FAR less important than the cooling system, plus power-to-weight ratio, plus valve train, plus basic ergos/frame geometry.

Don't get me wrong, in the BIG picture there's no reason the Harley Street shouldn't eventually take over the position of the Sportster, and when that happens when should see more performance out of it..closer to this.

Bit till that happens the VRod is closer mechanically/technically (and customer base) than the Sportster is (which is closer in size, and price range).

That said, I see your comparison, I just think they're stretching it.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »
Dude, really...look, it's obvious THEY are targeting the Sportster because haven't the literally stated that in the press release.

But as a four time Sportster owner I'm telling you that the cubic centimeter similarity is FAR less important than the cooling system, plus power-to-weight ratio, plus valve train, plus basic ergos/frame geometry.

Don't get me wrong, in the BIG picture there's no reason the Harley Street shouldn't eventually take over the position of the Sportster, and when that happens when should see more performance out of it..closer to this.

Bit till that happens the VRod is closer mechanically/technically (and customer base) than the Sportster is (which is closer in size, and price range).

That said, I see your comparison, I just think they're stretching it.

I popped over to the XLforum thread on the subject and instantly was hit with another unstated point..the motor design.

On the xl forum the guys are making fun of the rpm point for peak torque.

The motor design is closer to the vrod and Street, and as such the FEEL, the torque point, the performance is completely different from a Sportster.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

prof_stack

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
At first glance I thought it was hideous, but hideous has grown on me and now I think it's a well-thought out design.  Except for the twin mufflers.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2014, 09:24:24 PM »
so it's a new motor too?  it certainly is not as elegant looking as the 111..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »
so it's a new motor too?  it certainly is not as elegant looking as the 111..

Yup, the emphasis here is on function.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2014, 09:36:52 PM »
I do wish Polaris (Victory) well with their new Indian lines of bikes. However, I have yet to see an Indian in the flesh. Are they not selling many of them?

I stopped by the local Indian dealer a couple of weeks ago, and I think they are selling all they can get--which still isn't many. Up close they look very nice; the fit and finish is excellent. The "Classic" (the one with the least amount of leather fringe) is the best looking one.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
I stopped by the local Indian dealer a couple of weeks ago, and I think they are selling all they can get--which still isn't many. Up close they look very nice; the fit and finish is excellent. The "Classic" (the one with the least amount of leather fringe) is the best looking one.

The fringe, I hear, is attached by Velcro and removable.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
The fringe, I hear, is attached by Velcro and removable.

I wonder if there'll be a velcro attached faux kick starter in the future.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Moto

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2014, 11:35:25 PM »
I think this screen shot from the video shows it is surprisingly like the original Indian scout in its profile:

Notice the foot-forward postion is the same on both bikes, the fenders are somewhat subdued copies of the profiles of the originals, and the mystery of the rake of the rear shock is explained as a way to mimic the rigid frame of the original. The headlights are similar too.

Looking at the new bike from other angles makes it seem quite squared off and different from the older one.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:36:06 PM by Moto »

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2014, 04:05:45 AM »
I prefer this one.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2014, 04:22:32 AM »
I wonder if there'll be a velcro attached faux kick starter in the future.

Hardly the same thing. There's nothing disingenuous about a removable styling feature like fringe. Certainly that's not the bike pretending to be something it is not.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2014, 05:34:31 AM »
I think this screen shot from the video shows it is surprisingly like the original Indian scout in its profile:

Notice the foot-forward postion is the same on both bikes, the fenders are somewhat subdued copies of the profiles of the originals, and the mystery of the rake of the rear shock is explained as a way to mimic the rigid frame of the original. The headlights are similar too.

Looking at the new bike from other angles makes it seem quite squared off and different from the older one.

I like the overall look of the Scout, although there are many things with it that, to me, just don't look right.  When I see these two photos, I see all of the dissimilarities between the two bikes.  The original looks so much better.  I think at their MSRP they will be selling all that they can make.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »
What gives the old Scout that 'retro' look is the angle of the rider's arms--elbows low and closer to the body than the modern motorcycle. Like a bus driver.
As old school cool as that looks, it would be a hassle to handle the bike in day to day riding.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
Mid sized; I'd expect something in the 750-800cc range.

100hp? Bloody hell that is a lot of ponies for a "mid sized" cruiser!

I was hoping for a mid sized inline 4. For a Scout (and my sense of history with Indian is very weak so I' probably off the mark) I really would have expected a nice 500-750cc range air cooled twin. Or oil cooled. With the seat on a pedestal, perhaps sprung a bit, and light. Around and preferably under 400lbs.

Now we wait for the other shoe to drop, how she handles, rides and delivers hp to the road.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »
What gives the old Scout that 'retro' look is the angle of the rider's arms--elbows low and closer to the body than the modern motorcycle. Like a bus driver.
As old school cool as that looks, it would be a hassle to handle the bike in day to day riding.

Actually that position reminds me a bit of how I felt on the W650, but it was certainly not a hassle and handled wonderfully. <shrugs>
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »
Changing handlebars to improve riding position has got to be one of the least expensive mods you can make.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline kwn306

• Gosling
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »
That thing is butt ugly compared to the original.
Kurt & Sue Nordstrom
Spotsylvania, VA

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »
Just about all new things are but ugly. For the most part style left manufacturing in 1972

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
"I wonder if there'll be a velcro attached faux kick starter in the future."

Hardly the same thing. There's nothing disingenuous about a removable styling feature like fringe. Certainly that's not the bike pretending to be something it is not.

Nope, you're right Kev... it doesn't smack of the disingenuousness of a fake starter.

I should have found a more direct comparison to a whore's fake eye lashes. ~;
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
I dig the new Scout....a 4.3 gallon tank would have been nice for those that like to ride past some gas stations.
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
"I wonder if there'll be a velcro attached faux kick starter in the future."

Nope, you're right Kev... it doesn't smack of the disingenuousness of a fake starter.

I should have found a more direct comparison to a whore's fake eye lashes. ~;

:D and to that I would have agreed :D
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2014, 05:19:55 AM »
Good article.  Again, the business-end of the Scout is more comparable to the V Rod than the Sportster.  The styling cues are different, though.

You really can't fairly compare the performance of a liquid-cooled, 4-valve, 60 degree twin to that of an air-cooled, pushrod, 2-valve, 45 degree twin.

I like the Scout but it scratches a different itch than does the Sportster (which I've never owned).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:32:05 AM by leafman60 »

bpreynolds

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2014, 06:20:33 AM »
Good article.  Again, the business-end of the Scout is more comparable to the V Rod than the Sportster.  The styling cues are different, though.

You really can't fairly compare the performance of a liquid-cooled, 4-valve, 60 degree twin to that of an air-cooled, pushrod, 2-valve, 90 degree twin.

I like the Scout but it scratches a different itch than does the Sportster (which I've never owned).

Leaf, I dunno.  I gotta say, I used to think of all Harley's (including Sportsters) as overweight, terribly braked vehicles but that was prior to me riding one.  I literally could hardly believe how much more performance (I'm talking roll on here and acceleration - not handling/suspension) my friend's 1200 Sportster has than my Stone.  Taking nothing away from the Stone, of course.  Just saying maybe you can compare them to a 100 horsepower bike.  Mags - whatever you think of them - have been comparing Geese to water cooled cruisers for years.  Kev M would certainly have more authority on this issue than my 50 miles or so on my bud's Sportster.  Not trying to be argumentative.  Just saying.  Btw, why can't we get an emoticon for Just Saying?   ;D

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here