Author Topic: Ive Got Cancer  (Read 75587 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Ive Got Cancer
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »
Hello Folks, I have been debating for a couple of weeks if I should mention this here, but have decided to, as you fine folks have helped me with your sage advice, and experience on many topics over the years. I have been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue, tonsils, and neck, about 3 weeks ago. I had a biopsy of what was thought to be a "suspicious" parotid gland. ( salivary gland) and then had a CT scan, and a PET CT scan that shows the tumor to include over half of my tongue, with metastasis to my neck muscles, and some lymph nodes in my neck, as well as the salivary glands, on the right side. The PET shows it has not spread to my brain, lungs, bones, lymph nodes in my armpits( axillary) or any abdominal organs.  I have an appt. this friday with an oncologist, that will tell me where we go from here. I am 57 years old. My mind has been running full speed trying to assimilate all this, and thinking of what to do. I have already given my 73 Eldo to my son, as well as my 84 Cal II convert. I had done this before the diagnosis. ( Guzzi Content) Any advice, suggestions, support from you guys is most welcome. I am feeling kinda "lost" right now, this has thrown me for a "loop" I must admit.I am trying to be strong in the presence of my wife, and Son, but its tough.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Ive Got Cancer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »
Rick, all I can offer is my heart felt best wishes. I'm 57 and have no idea how I'd take that diagnosis, but I'm guessing not too well.
I really hope your prognosis is good. I'm sure your wife and son will provide fantastic support for you.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
 Damnit Rick . No expert , but did go thru this with a good friend recently , same type of cancer . Yes , it will take some really aggressive treatment , and plan on losing hair and weight , but doctors can buy you several years . Don't give up , we are all pulling for you .

Dusty

Bill Havins

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »
Well, crud!  So sorry to hear this.  Don't let your thoughts get too dark until you visit with the oncologist.  Then, develop a plan that is consistent with who you are and how your family chooses to live life.  We're all pulling for you!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
Well, crud!  So sorry to hear this.  Don't let your thoughts get too dark until you visit with the oncologist.  Then, develop a plan that is consistent with who you are and how your family chooses to live life.  We're all pulling for you!

EXACTLY!

Emote and inform here all you want.  You are among friends.

Bill

Offline Ad B

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
Hi,
I'm with Bill.
And sorry to read this.
But try to keep as positive as possible.
I've lost one friend, but 2 others survived!!

Ad B
I love my... wife and Griso. Cat is in his heaven after 19 years...

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »
When at all possible keep a positive fighting attitude. I think that goes right along with any medical treatments. Treat everyday as special because it is. Good luck.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »
I am trying to be strong in the presence of my wife, and Son, but its tough.
Rick.

You don't have to be strong by yourself.   Let your family and your Guzzi family help ... others have been through this and come out the other side.    

Thanks for telling us.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

canuguzzi

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
You have already gifted the world with your presence and your family. Now it is time for some gifting in return. Your doctors will help you take care of the medical aspects, your family and friends will help with the rest.

Keep your eye on what you'll be doing years from now because there is your future, this is a detour of sorts, something that will take focus, energy and dedication to yourself but you can do it.

It has been said that a friend in need is a friend indeed. Rubbish.

A friend in need HAS friends indeed and if I can be so bold as to speak for any others here, your circle of friends is now larger than before and includes us all.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:39:03 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
Rick, although we have never met, I felt compelled to respond and  wish for you the best possible outcome . Have faith in our creator and the  health care providers and keep a positive attitude as much as humanly possible. Dave

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
So FIGHT IT Rick with everything and everyone you've got.  My uncle was diagnosed a few years ago, and it was pretty bad.  He's a fighter, and so far he's beat it down and getting well.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
My sister went through the same thing and from a questionable start followed by chemo and radio therapy she is now cancer free.  The only lasting side effect is that her taste is now more sensitive to the point that catsup is spicy. 
I just mention it to confirm to you that there is hope.  Hang in there through all the therapy, there can be success in fighting this.  There have been amazing advances in the last decade. 
We're pulling for you!
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
Rick, I have a cousin that has been fighting stage 4 colon cancer for over 4 years. He's a chemical engineer with his degree from MIT. He has gone through 55 rounds of chemotherapy. His latest counter attack is based on these findings.... http://www.impactjournals.com/oncotarget/index.php?journal=oncotarget&op=view&page=article&path%5B%5D=3174
He currently is taking 2.5 times the recommended dosage of prescription antibiotics and his last CT after 30 days of treatment showed reduced size of his tumors. Look into this, he's experiencing vary little side effects.  
Best of luck, thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
Joe Walano

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
Thank you, Guys. I appreciate your responses of encouragement and support more than you know. I am going to fight this, with everything Ive got. I am Catholic, but had not been to church in about 3 years. I still pray on my own every day, though, I attended mass last Sunday,(palm Sunday) and the priest said if anyone needed a special, personal blessing, for restoration of health, to meet him at the rear of the church, after mass.I felt that he was looking right at me! I waited for almost everyone to leave,sitting in the pew, then walked up to the kind, elderly father for a blessing. Words would not come out of my mouth, and my eyes teared up. My wife told the Father I have Cancer , he asked where, and the put his hand on the mass on my neck, and gave me a blessing.
I felt so humbled, but comforted as well. I walked to our car, and  broke down, weeping, uncontrollably like a child. I guess I had alot of pent up emotion that needed to be released.
Damn, this is so hard, guys. Its tough, trying to be "tough".
Rick.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 02:25:48 PM »
  A few weeks ago there was an episode of the news program on HBO called vice.  They documented three cases and explained research being done that CURES cancer.  It seems they found a way to genetically modify virus's to seek out and destroy cancer cells.  They leave behind a patient that is in a cured state instead of remission short or long term.  
   What is upsetting to me is all the talk on the media lately on  cancer and so called breakthroughs but no mention of the cure. Just listened to a multi day 6 hour report on NPR and no mention of the new virus cure.

I wish you all the best and my prayers are with you.
Walt
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
Rick

you don't have to try and be tough - you have the character....

Listen to your friends and family and of course the doctors and also depend on your faith.  You are in good hands.

Mark

EVDavid

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:30 PM »
Praying for you Rick and hoping you will find support from all your unknown Guzzi friends helpful.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
Very sorry to hear this Rick, and I wish you the best.  There's plenty of cancer in my family.  All you can do is take things one step at a time, and try to make informed decisions as you move forward.  
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
Rick, I have a cousin that has been fighting stage 4 colon cancer for over 4 years. He's a chemical engineer with his degree from MIT. He has gone through 55 rounds of chemotherapy. His latest counter attack is based on these findings.... http://www.impactjournals.com/oncotarget/index.php?journal=oncotarget&op=view&page=article&path%5B%5D=3174
He currently is taking 2.5 times the recommended dosage of prescription antibiotics and his last CT after 30 days of treatment showed reduced size of his tumors. Look into this, he's experiencing vary little side effects.  
Best of luck, thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Very interesting, Joe. I will mention this to my oncologist.
Appreciate it!
Rick.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »
 A few weeks ago there was an episode of the news program on HBO called vice.  They documented three cases and explained research being done that CURES cancer.  It seems they found a way to genetically modify virus's to seek out and destroy cancer cells.  They leave behind a patient that is in a cured state instead of remission short or long term.  
   What is upsetting to me is all the talk on the media lately on  cancer and so called breakthroughs but no mention of the cure. Just listened to a multi day 6 hour report on NPR and no mention of the new virus cure.

Walt

Thanks Walt. That sounds very interesting ,and promising. I dont get HBO, but maybe I can find info. on this new cure, online somewhere.
Rick.

dilligaf

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
Me too. Prostate.  As soon as I received the diagnosis I posted here. You will not only receive support you will also receive some value advice. So hang in there.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »
Rick, another 57 year old here.  Very sorry to learn about what you're dealing with right now.  Hang in there, let us know what comes next.  Prayers for you and your family.

Tobit

edited.  Sorry I called you Walt, I shouldn't multitask.

Best wishes
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:56:33 PM by Tobit »
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »
Fight it hard Rick, Best of luck to you
Cheers Ron
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »
Hey Rick,
Sorry to hear about this. Try to be strong and fight it with all you've got!
Best Wishes,
Nick
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:10:56 PM by Nick »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
Rick,  although I have never met you I do hope the best for you and your family. Stay strong and fight with all you can muster dude!

John Schurke in missouri
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »

Walt

And last Sunday 60 minutes had a special on a certain brain tumor that they are injecting with the Polio virus:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-cancer-treatment-duke-university-60-minutes-scott-pelley/

My buddy does his chemo every other Wednesday and they have the "moonshine club."  So far the revenuers haven't come to take them to jail and I doubt the staff would turn them in anyway  :BEER:

Our prayers and thoughts are with you Rick.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »
Your circle of friends is now larger than before and includes us all.[/b][/size][/size][/size]
:+1

Best wishes Rick. Be strong - but not afraid to let your emotions out.

Nick

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Rick; Last year, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. I went through 2 "Procedures", and a series of BCG treatments. When I was scanned and scoped  last summer, there was no trace of the cancer left. I've had 3 cystoscopies since, and it has not returned. I realize that my cancer was different from the variety you're dealing with, but I just want to offer some hope that it can be beaten. When the Urologist first said the word "Cancer", I felt like a death sentence had been pronounced. Yet, I'm alive and cancer free and I'm able to enjoy my life. If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.
Hang in there, we'll all be praying and pulling for you.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »
You mentioned this to us… People need people, no shame in that. I've experienced the power of Christ in my life, it's real. I urge you to reach out to Him if you haven't already. I will do the same for you. In His hands, all is as it should be, and He loves us truly.
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
I Love You
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here