Author Topic: Pressure washer recomendations,gas or electric?  (Read 214 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Pressure washer recomendations,gas or electric?
« on: April 23, 2024, 03:54:32 PM »
Hello Folks, my old craftsman/ briggs and stratton gas power washer has gotten long in the tooth,and is giving me the blues. Its hard to start if the weather is slightly cold, and seems to always require carburetor fiddling, and a new spark plug anytime I want to use it and its sat for a while, even if I use stabil or seafoam.I think its time for replacement. I never need to use it anywhere there is no electrical power, so I dont really need gas powered. Ive heard alot of the smaller electric ones are pretty weak, so I would either need a new gas one or a fairly powerful electric unit.  What have you folks had good luck with and recommend for cleaning the bikes, and general household use?
Rick.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 04:18:15 PM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Pressure washer recomendations,gas or electric?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 04:26:38 PM »
I have a portable electric by Kobalt (Lowe's house brand). It's fine for what I need, but yeah not all that powerful. I did strip both the dock and the deck with it before treating them last summer. It probably took twice as long as it would with a gas unit, or maybe only time and a half.

But I don't need one often and it works on the same batteries as our little electric lawn mower, hedge trimmer, and leaf blower (so I can charge some batteries while using up the others).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 04:27:17 PM »
I'd put a carb kit or a new carb on the old one first. Clean up the electrical contacts and check the air gap on the fly wheel.
A good quality new gas isn't cheap. Stihl does have a nice electric one at a reasonable price with much better quality than the other cheap electrics.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 05:16:41 PM »
Gas.

And bring it inside when the temps are going to be below freezing.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 05:16:41 PM »

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 05:17:52 PM »
I am very happy with my 120VAC plug in washer.  No more gas, oil or difficult starting in spring.

Oh, also it's really quiet
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:19:34 PM by Matt Story »
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 05:27:58 PM »
I didnt know Stihl makes electric power washers. Their biggest electric unit the "100" series seems pretty nice at a $300. price.  A bit more pressure would be nice, but 2000 psi isnt bad.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 06:14:35 PM »
Here is the way I look at it. If you NEED HIGH PRESSURE to STRIP decks and the like, then gas is likely the best option.

If all your doing is cleaning the grunge off the bikes and auto's, then a decent electric should do you fine.

I have an electric, I forget the pressure, 1700 something psi and it cleans the oil grunge off the bikes and 40 year old caked on grease and grime off my '62 F100 running gear very decently. Sometimes wish I had more psi, but then if I had it I would probably like a little less for delicate cleaning.

The HF electric about 1700 something psi might be a decent one to try for the PRICE to see if electric will work for what you need it for. Whatever one your looking at, READ the reviews for it and see how others like it.

Hope this helps a bit,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 07:27:31 PM »
I have a Craftsman electric (plug in) that I probably bought a dozen years ago. When I need it I just plug it in and go. It has never failed to work and I've never worried about how old the electrons are. I do not regret selling off my old gas version and moving over to this.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 08:06:16 PM »
I have a gas, and an electric. I forget the models and the exact specs for each. But in general, I have found that the electric does as good a job as the gas. BUT, the electric is lower in pressure, and a lot lower in volume. So a big job can take days. Where the gas one has more pressure and a LOT more volume, so it can do that same big job in a few hours. The electric one will still damage the wood if you are not careful.

Last year I did my friends driveway, that had been neglected for many years under a lot of trees. My electric one would have taken many many days. The gas one knocked it out in an afternoon.
So it depends on how big the job is that you want to do. A couple of times a year for a porch or sidewalk, an electric will probably be fine and you don't need to fart with gasoline.

BTW, that friend had a gasoline riding lawn mower that had set idle for a few years. The idle mixture passage was totally blocked. I was unable it clear it out. I got a replacement "Asian made" carb for $15 and it runs great. It even included the air filter. Maybe that is all you need.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:12:46 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:52:13 AM »
Rick,

Over the last couple years I’ve move to electric on all my outdoor equipment.  Powerwasher (plug in), lawn mower, weed wacker, blower, small chain saw, etc.  Most are Dewalt with interchangeable batteries.  I was fed up with trying to start the gas powered stuff after sitting in the shed for 5 months.  No regrets.  We still have winter out here.

Cam

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:25:55 AM »
I didnt know Stihl makes electric power washers. Their biggest electric unit the "100" series seems pretty nice at a $300. price.  A bit more pressure would be nice, but 2000 psi isnt bad.
Rick.

For over 35 years they have had them in the US.
I have an early RE90 and it works great for most everything. I do the boat, cars, bikes etc. A big gas will tear things up if not careful.
I also have a 4000 PSI commercial unit with a 21" rotary. The rotary head is the only way to clean a driveway. But, you can rent a big gas when you need one.
I have a cheaper Kartcher electric in Az that was my dads. It's a POS but because it was his I have tolerted it. The Stihl might be a few bucks more but you really get your moneys worth. JMHO!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:27:43 PM »
I have a Masterforce (Menards house brand) electric @ 3000 PSI. I can’t imagine needing more power.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here