Author Topic: Ca. DMV question on transferring lost title  (Read 686 times)

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Ca. DMV question on transferring lost title
« on: March 16, 2023, 08:53:07 PM »
I posted this in another DMV forum but got no replies. 
I bought an 850T basket case in California from the son of the deceased owner.  Unfortunately the title was lost and I want to get the bike registered and titled in my name.  I'm not sure how to go about this, but the DMV website recommended I pick up forms:

Reg5 (affidavit for transfer without probate of CA. titled vehicles.)
Reg227 (transfer or replacement of lost title)
Reg256 (statement of facts)
Bill of sale

One question is wether the son fills out the details with his fathers information or his own?
Another question is am I going about this the right way? Am I missing anything or maybe try another method?
Thanks in advance,
Nate

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ca. DMV question on transferring lost title
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 10:31:54 PM »
Before I left California for Texas 5 years ago, there was nothing I dreaded more than going to the DMV.  However, it is their opinions that count, not necessarily the opinions of members of this forum.  I strongly recommend that you visit the DMV and ask the personnel at the front desk for advice.  Write the questions and bring the paper with you.  Ask more questions as their answers prompt you.  Then, when you return to the DMV with your completed paperwork you can do this with confidence that you'll come out with a title, of the assurance of one. 

I bought a used 1975 850-T in 1977 and I don't recall any need for proof of emissions controls then.  Later on, CA got pretty crazy about these on older bikes, but I don't believe as old as yours.  Best of luck

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 10:46:52 PM »
Yes, I can go on for days about how frustrating this process is.  I know I should go to the DMV but that line going around the building scares me.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 12:17:07 AM »
Last year I imported a couple of questionable motorcycles from fictitious addresses in Oregon into California.  Required not only sales and title papers, but also a VIN and Engine number  inspections and full smog and noise compliance inspections.  Daunting for sure.

Several people recommended  that I go through a licensed DMV expediter.  They specialize in strange deals and missing paperwork, etc.  I had one Breva where the noise and smog stickers had long disappeared.  Oddly, that  year,  Guzzi had put those stickers on the under-face of the seat pan.  I was able to track down another seat (complete with stickers) from a junk yard.

In the end, it was the smartest deal I could imagine.  They charge about $150 for their services.  They deal directly with the DMV and you just sit by and wait a few days to be notified.  You still have to pay all the DMV fees, but you'd do that at the DMV counter any way.  For me it was clearly worth the cost to have somebody on MY SIDE who knew all the rules, had all the forms, and made direct appearance with known comrades at the DMV.

I used CONAR in north San Jose.  Highly recommend.

https://www.californiacartags.com/

Patrick  Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 12:17:07 AM »

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 02:16:07 AM »
Thanks for the link!

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 08:33:02 AM »
Can’t a title be obtained from Vermont with relative ease?
I went to the City of Richfield Mn DMV office yesterday to title my new car and SURPRISE, there was no one in line ahead of me, wow, that never happens. Don’t tell anyone but I under reported the purchase price and saved $650 in sales tax, no questions asked. Everyone does that, right?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 09:27:51 AM »
Can’t a title be obtained from Vermont with relative ease?
I went to the City of Richfield Mn DMV office yesterday to title my new car and SURPRISE, there was no one in line ahead of me, wow, that never happens. Don’t tell anyone but I under reported the purchase price and saved $650 in sales tax, no questions asked. Everyone does that, right?
I have to get a vin inspection for the Vernon loophole to work, unfortunately my vin plate was removed at some point, rather roughly and looks as such.

Offline FarmallA

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 09:35:11 AM »
The Vermont process worked for me and my V65 Monza Kluge.   All the info is available with a few searches online, but here's my summary.

You need to supply:

Application form filled out (from VT DMV page).  You are applying for a new registration, not a Title.  VT doesn't title MC's over 15 years old.

A proper Bill of Sale.

A VIN verification and NMVTIS (stolen vehicle)  database check by your local police.  A statement to that effect must be supplied and signed by the inspecting officer on your local police letterhead.

Vermont Sales tax.  Based on Kelly Blue Book or other.  Actually, in my case I overpaid somehow and received a refund from VT.  You will still have to pay the sales tax in your own state when you re-register there. Or you could just keep it registered in VT, but your insurance company may not go for that.  Mine wouldn't. 

Send it all off to VT DMV with a check for the fees and sales tax, and wait.

I did this all in the first summer of C---.  It took about two months.  First I received word that they had cashed my check. Then I received the new plate.  The actual Registration and sticker arrived about a week later.

I took that registration to my own insurance company, they filled out the MA RMV forms, and added the bike to my policy. I went to my local RMV, paid their fees and MA sales tax, and walked out of there with a new MA plate.  They sent me a MA Title a short time later.

Big relief, but actually not that difficult.

Dunno about California though.

FarmallA
Steve

Offline FarmallA

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 09:49:42 AM »
NCAmother said: "I have to get a vin inspection for the Vernon loophole to work, unfortunately my vin plate was removed at some point, rather roughly and looks as such."

That's going to be a problem.

FarmallA
Steve

Offline FarmallA

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 10:01:59 AM »
NCAmother:
I just re-read your original post.

I'm no lawyer, but I was recently the executor of my late mom's estate.

The executor of the passed Dad (is the son you bought the bike from the executor?) should be able to apply for a replacement title.  It's up to the executor of the Dad's estate to handle selling off his old stuff in a legal manner.

FarmallA
Steve

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 11:09:54 AM »
Let's just say that it doesn't matter what you are supposed to do.  It matters what the people doing the paperwork tell you to do.

I bought a bike out of state and the DMV kicked back the paperwork saying the title was filled out wrong.  I printed out that states title requirements and submitted with the title and they still said no.  I asked them how they wanted the title filled out and fortunately the dealer agreed to fill it out incorrectly so I could title it in my state.

Another time I bought a 25 year old pop up camper without a title.  The owner said back then they weren't titled.  The DMV allowed me to register in my name with a bill of sale.  A year later I sold it to a coworker and the DMV said it needed a title.  WTF?  We had to get a surety bond and apply for a title before I could transfer it to him. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 11:32:37 AM »
Let's just say that it doesn't matter what you are supposed to do.  It matters what the people doing the paperwork tell you to do.

I bought a bike out of state and the DMV kicked back the paperwork saying the title was filled out wrong.  I printed out that states title requirements and submitted with the title and they still said no.  I asked them how they wanted the title filled out and fortunately the dealer agreed to fill it out incorrectly so I could title it in my state.

Another time I bought a 25 year old pop up camper without a title.  The owner said back then they weren't titled.  The DMV allowed me to register in my name with a bill of sale.  A year later I sold it to a coworker and the DMV said it needed a title.  WTF?  We had to get a surety bond and apply for a title before I could transfer it to him.

Yikes!!

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 01:10:27 PM »
When was that bike last registered. In California a vehicle will drop out of the system after a certain amount of if the vehicle isn't kept registered. I sold a Jeep to a friend a number or years ago. I let him make payments, he paid for awhile then quit and moved to Oregon. I put my name on the title as the lien holder. He never registered the Jeep with California. I don't think he did in Oregon. He moved to an unknown address and wouldn't take my calls. Then it turns out that he moved back to California with the Jeep in tow. A friend alerted me to where the Jeep was. I went to DMV to get a duplicate title, they had no record of the Jeep. WTF  CHP has advised me if I go pick it up I could be arrested for vehicle theft. I guess my point is make sure it is still in in the DMV's system. If it is there will be away to get it transferred to you by the executor of the estate.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 01:41:54 PM »
Last registered in 1994

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 02:22:14 PM »
One of the great things about Maine is the lack of hassle registering old vehicles.

They don't issue titles for motorcycles over 25 years old (or is it 20?). Same for
older cars. They don't care whether it has a title or not.

You just need a Bill of Sale to register it: Seller, Buyer, addresses for both, amount paid, date,
year, make, model, VIN, and mileage - although I think the mileage is exempt.
Pay your excise tax at your town, show proof of insurance, and they'll take your
sales tax and registration fee.

I truly feel for you guys and gals with the Gestapo manning your DMVs.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 09:32:40 PM »
I had problems registering my out of state Lemans years ago in Folsom DMV.  I had a bill of sale and a signed over title from Minnissota.

So I listened to my son and rode it to Placerville DMV 20 or so miles away.

Of course I had to wait hours but Placerville registered the bike.

It all depends on the bureaucrat behind the desk.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2023, 11:10:22 PM »

It all depends on the bureaucrat behind the desk.

Hence my recommendation to hire and expediter who works on YOUR behalf.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2023, 10:18:08 AM »
If it was last registered in CA and you are registering it in CA you will not need a VIN inspection. The lost title app is also a release of interest. If the kid is the executer, he will fill out the lost title app with his father listed as owner, and sign for his father as executer. You will turn in that form, along with the copy of the death certificate, with your application for a new title. Ask any car dealer how to deal with this- they do it all the time when the granchild inherits the old Buick.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2023, 10:35:24 AM »
Since there was no release of liability submitted it may still be in the database. In my case I had submitted a release as I had sold the vehicle and the DMV was bugging me to renew.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here