Author Topic: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles  (Read 236300 times)

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
Re: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »
My father-in-law saying they are dangerous and please be careful when your out there . What do you say when your 64 and been riding since you were 16 ?
I think he envies me and probably always wanted to ride one . Poor guy , I just smile and carry on .
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline paper

• I like naps
  • Hatchling
  • BACON!!
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 07:13:18 AM »
I'm constantly asked if I'm a fireman..

Been going to Guzzi Rallies long enough. Figured I'd actually buy one..

And then I sold it.. :(

mickyvee

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
 :) The following is perfctly true and, as far as I can remember, word perfect. My wife and I were touring Ireland in September 2001. I was on my brand new V11 Sport, she was on her GPZ 500. We had spent the night in a pub at a place caled Ogonnelau. My wife was outside loading up her bike when she popped her head round the door to tell me there was a chap who wanted to discuss my bike. Expecting a fellow Guzzisti, I went outside. There stood an old boy, in his mid 70's I guessed. "That's a nice bike you've got there" he said. "Yes it is. Thank you". I replied. "What make is it?" "It is a Moto Guzzi" He then looked at it for a while before remarking "Are you sure it isn't a BMW?" "Yes I'm sure. Look. it says Moto Guzzi on the tank and on the engine", said I pointing vigourously at the rocker boxes. He looked at it again for a time, before saying,"Are you sure?" "Yes, of course I'm bloody sure". Then he turned to leave, uttering the immortal words, " I think you'll find it's a BMW" Needless to say we have both had plenty of mileage out of this tale!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:15:20 AM by mickyvee »

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
:) The following is perfctly true and, as far as I can remember, word perfect. My wife and I were touring Ireland in September 2001. I was on my brand new V11 Sport, she was on her GPZ 500. We had spent the night in a pub at a place caled Ogonnelau. My wife was outside loading up her bike when she popped her head round the door to tell me there was a chap who wanted to discuss my bike. Expecting a fellow Guzzisti, I went outside. There stood an old boy, in his mid 70's I guessed. "That's a nice bike you've got there" he said. "Yes it is. Thank you". I replied. "What make is it?" "It is a Moto Guzzi" He then looked at it for a while before remarking "Are you sure it isn't a BMW?" "Yes I'm sure. Look. it says Moto Guzzi on the tank and on the engine", said I pointing vigourously at the rocker boxes. He looked at it again for a time, before saying,"Are you sure?" "Yes, of course I'm bloody sure". Then he turned to leave, uttering the immortal words, " I think you'll find it's a BMW" Needless to say we have both had plenty of mileage out of this tale!

:D

I had an older gentlemen approach my V11 Lemans and say "Nice Bike, is it a Harley?". I was a bit perplexed, and corrected him that it's a Moto Guzzi. "Why would you think it's a Harley?" I asked...

"Well, because it's got the Harley Eagle on it I thought it must be a Harley."  ::) ;D

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
Many years ago, I stopped in a place that advertised parts to build bikes. I stopped in, but everything was chopper stuff, nothing but forward control frames, etc. The guy asked me what I was riding. "Ducati, but I have a BMW, too." He said, I can get parts for them Jap bikes and I can work on em, too." I thought, "Surrrre you can, Skippy.  ::)" Smiled, and walked.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Railroad Bob

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
Here's another recent one.  So, I'm at my local "car/bike" night which features mostly
vintage American cars and 99% Harleys for the "bike division."  There is the odd Japanese
machine and me with my super clean '09 Calif Vintage, the only European motorcycle there
out of 100+ Harleys.  The "car" guys will stroll through the bikes and comment.

Two of them spot the Guzzi and give it a disparaging lookover.  One says:

"One of those old Moto Guzzis, don't see them much these days."

The other says:  "Yeaah. They're really hard to work on; I don't care for them at all."

They knew I was the owner, 'cause I was standing right there wearing a Guzzi shirt.  No big
deal, Guzzis aren't for everyone.  You'd think that on a "bike night" some ppl might
want a little variety to look at?  To me, 100% Harleys is just boring; there's a green one
wow there's a red one, etc.  Carry on, guys.  ;)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
Bystander: "Is Moto Guzzi Chinese?"
Me: "Yes.  Just like Pizza."
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

alpine

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »
I was extremely surprised when last week I visited a Harley dealership to look around and I spoke to two sales persons about the new California 1400 made by Moto Guzzi and both of them had no idea who Moto Guzzi was ...

Roberto.

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
Here's a couple:
1. Every BMW rider has experienced this. Car pulls up at stop lite "Hey when did they start making motorcycles?" (Oh about 30 yrs before they built that overpriced cage you're
in).
2. When I still owned my BSA Rocket Gold Star and lived on the west coast of Fl. Same traffic lite. "Boy you don't see many of them around any more". (there were only 500 some odd of them imported to North America,ever, and none to Fl., so you never saw ANY of them here).
3. When I had my old BMW R50/2 with sidecar I was absolutely forced off the road 3 times (my best friend will swear to this) by ladies who said, verbiage varies,"You WILL take me for a ride", and I certainly did. Wish I still had that sidecar.
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Offline a65rocket

• New Egg
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2013, 03:12:30 AM »
When I was a despatch rider in the 80's for Pony Express, many times I was standing in the reception of a company when the receptionist asked "is it raining ?", well I was dripping wet all over the floor. Also, the standard line was "where's your Pony?", standard answer was "outside, shitting on your flowers"

Moto_Chicago

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »

I'm in a local diner north of Pgh.  A fellow outside who I could see through the window was pacing back and forth, examining the bike in detail.

When he came into the diner, I asked if he rode.  "No, I sort of dislike the things ....... but if I did like 'em, that'd be the bike I'd want."

Obviously Bike Curious.  

Hope he comes to term with it.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:15:57 AM by Moto_Chicago »

mickyvee

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
 ??? I was out yesterday on my '72 Suzuki Hustler. I was giving it some stick, and laying down a curtain of blue smoke, as you do. Approaching some traffic lights, I came to a stop. A chap on a new R1 pulled up gesticulating wildly. "I've been following you for the past mile or so, and there is a lot of smoke coming out of your exhaust pipes. Is your engine ok?" I took pity on the poor youngster. "My engine is fine" I said. "The time to worry is when there is no smoke coming out the back!" He nodded, looking confused, and set off. Obviously not a child of the '50's!

Offline moltoguzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »
At Harley only shop....Two shiny customized Harley pull up to the shop, two riders with new leathers and tattos take they beanies off and are attracted by EV. They both take a long puzzled look at the EV, when of them says, no exaggeration here "What the f*** is that!". My blood was instantly one degree from boiling, so I resond, "If I tell you then you'll have to teach your bikes to bow down to mine".
Oh yeah.....the look on my face expressed all I was feeling, I was ready for war.
They walked into shop the quietly. If you go around presenting yourself as a 1%er act like one, they know all about respect.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
On the Quota and stop for gas and a hydration break.  I'm downing a cold Gatorade outside of the c-store.  All gussied up in an enduro jacket and 'stich overpants.  Guy comes walking in and says

"What kind of bike is that?"

"It's a Guzzi."

"Well, I never liked them crotch rockets.  Gotta lean way over the tank."  (The Quota has a barn door windscreen and 1" bar risers.)  I'm a Harley guy myself."

"Great!  Whatcha riding now?"

"Oh, I don't have one now, but I'm thinkin' about buyin' one."

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »

I'm a Harley guy myself."

"Great!  Whatcha riding now?"

"Oh, I don't have one now, but I'm thinkin' about buyin' one."

Typical.

"Get a real motorcycle!"   "Really?  Where is yours?"
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
"Good friend of mine just bought a Guzzi.  They're made in Czechoslovakia now, you know."

I've heard the next one many times.  Always from a young guy.  The towns change but not the lie.

"I went straight through (Insert town name here) at 140mph."

Usually I ask what kind of bike and they never seem to know.  The last one thought it was a 2 or 4 cylinder Honda Magna or Saber or Interceptor.  Not running now, of course.  At home in the garage.  

::)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:23:41 AM by john fish »
He lost the run of himself.

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »
At a gas station(recurring theme it seems) on the old BMW r75/5.
A gentleman approaching from my right comments about "that engine sticking out like that", walks on past and looks back at the bike and stops dead in his tracks and say's
 "that motor hangs out the OTHER side too !?!"
~gotta love them boxers :BEER:

O.K., maybe not such a stupid thing to say, afterall...  :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:09:58 PM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline nsumax

• New Egg
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »
Not to me but this was said to my eldest nephew. When my nephew was learning to drive he was taking my father in law some where and used his turn signal to change lanes, my wifes step dad asks "why did you use the turn signal' Nephew, "because that motorcycle is behind us". Father in law, "Oh you don't have to do that those guys that ride those motorsickles knows it's dangerous, ask you'r uncle". Any way you'll wear out the the turn signal. Fortunatly father in law no longer drives and the boys watch out for motorcylces.

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »
Not to me but this was said to my eldest nephew. When my nephew was learning to drive he was taking my father in law some where and used his turn signal to change lanes, my wifes step dad asks "why did you use the turn signal' Nephew, "because that motorcycle is behind us". Father in law, "Oh you don't have to do that those guys that ride those motorsickles knows it's dangerous, ask you'r uncle". Any way you'll wear out the the turn signal. Fortunatly father in law no longer drives and the boys watch out for motorcylces.

;-T
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline YnotGuzzi

• If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
  • Gosling
  • Hold my beer and watch this!
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »
This just happened a few weeks ago. I came out of the tool store and found a middle aged attractive woman taking pictures of my BMW K1200GT. I watched her for a while getting shots from every angle and close-ups of the spinning propeller roundel. She noticed me watching her and asked if the bike was mine. I replied that indeed it was. She then remarked that she was unaware that BMW made motorcycles. I then told her that I didn't know BMW made cars until I passed one at a 175MPH. "This thing will do 175"? she asked. "Sure", I said, "hop on". "What would I hold on to"? she asked. The thought of explaining my DOT approved hand hold remained merely a thought. After all, she may be married to a linebacker. Besides, no extra helmet.
1984 BMW R65 (Mighty Mouse) SOLD
2002 BMW R1200C (My Stuka)
2003 Moto Guzzi California EV 11 Touring (L'oca Nera Volante)
2006 Triumph Sprint ST (Trinity) SOLD
2009 Honda Shadow 750 (Betty Boop).
2014 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited (Puff The Magic Dragon II)
'14 Suzuki DL650 VStrom ADV ABS (Da Zook)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »

"What would I hold on to"? she asked. The thought of explaining my DOT approved hand hold remained merely a thought. After all, she may be married to a linebacker. Besides, no extra helmet.

I don't get those kind of invitations, but I recognize them when one is sent someone else's way with flowers around it, bows on it, and an aura of Victoria's Secret in a halo ....

There's no linebacker, she was aiming straight for you, and you could have found a way to solve the helmet problem pretty quick!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

gclark8

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »
I don't get those kind of invitations, but I recognize them when one is sent someone else's way with flowers around it, bows on it, and an aura of Victoria's Secret in a halo ....

There's no linebacker, she was aiming straight for you, and you could have found a way to solve the helmet problem pretty quick! Lannis

Stretch a condom over her head, that's protection enough for a BMW!  ;-T

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »
Us Guzzisti stop @ a Japanese Garden.  Walking back to our bikes in the parking lot,  about 8 Harley riders show up.  1 of the female passengers says to me, "bet you wish you were on a Harley."  I replied, "I'll still talk to you."  Her mouth dropped wide open.   ;-T   No one else said anything more.  8)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
Vespa clone rider pulls up at a turnout.  It's about 40ºf and pouring rain.  I'm wearing all the gear and a Wiggy suit -- basically a marine-grade snowmobile suit in that day-glo yellow/green.  He's in the local Vespa uniform -- little half-helmet, sneakers, windbreaker, and plastic pants.  I have no idea why he's on a highway.  He's shivering, soaked, and a long way from anywhere.  "Hey", he says, "You dress funny!"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2013, 07:38:50 PM »
  "Hey", he says, "You dress funny!"

"Everyone's funny.   Now you're funny too .... "
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Over heard at the Bella Vista bike show on Sunday while listening to a Ducati dry clutch rattling merrily away ."I would not own one of those pieces of Italian junk."
Later, as Guzzistajohn on his CX100 and his buddy on a black Dharma roll by on the beginning of 110 mile ride home, same guy says " Them damn Guzzis are junk too". Bear in mind, his bike came on a trailer from 50 miles away . 

Dusty

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »
Over heard at the Bella Vista bike show on Sunday while listening to a Ducati dry clutch rattling merrily away ."I would not own one of those pieces of Italian junk."
Later, as Guzzistajohn on his CX100 and his buddy on a black Dharma roll by on the beginning of 110 mile ride home, same guy says " Them damn Guzzis are junk too". Bear in mind, his bike came on a trailer from 50 miles away . 

Dusty 

At least he knew that Ducati and Guzzi were Italian junk - so he was only mostly a moron.

Nick

Offline Gary Scott

• Guzzigary
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Gary Scott
    • guzzigary52@gmail.com
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »

I was rolling through Alamosa,Colo last Thursday an this guy in the back of a pickup hollars out what is the gas can straped to the back of your bike for Haa Haa I almost told him I was gonna go start a fire but instead I said it's for if I run out of gas between towns he just looked at me with a sort of Daaa look on his face.Sometimes it's best not to say anything.
Gary
Retirement is treating me just fine.
Working part time now, more hours now than when i was working full time it sucks

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Yeah . . . .   out of gas in Kansas . . .. I can't imagine.       :D

Chicago Mark

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2013, 07:56:52 AM »
"Is that fun"

"Is it safe"

"Moto what?"

"Is it dangerous?"

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here