General Category > General Discussion

Oh, the irony

(1/13) > >>

faffi:
I am getting old. Throughout life I have observed that as people age, they get more careful. More aware of risk and danger, more afraid of getting injured.

There is some logic to this, of course, as the older we get, the harder it is to bounce back to full health after injury. And we get injured more easily.

On the other hand, if we have already lived - more or less happily - for 60, 70 år 80 years, why should we stop doing things we love just because of risk? I mean, if you end up as a paraplegic at the age of 20 due to some risky actions, your time spent in a wheelchair will be drastically longer than if the same thing happens at the age of 80.

But here I am, just weeks away from turning 60, finding myself erring more and more often on the side of caution. I do not get the pleasure from pushing the envelope like I used to. I now find myself taking some caution that I did not do 10 or 20 years ago, be that when riding motorcycles or lifting weights or running down slippery slopes.

I am, quite honestly, slowly turning into a wuss.

ScepticalScotty:
I'm 57 and hope never to stop doing what I love doing. However I have never been all that wild reckless and crazy - even when I was a teenager. I plan to get back to surfing this year, but I won't be surfing the waves i was when I was 20. Small fun waves will be fine for me. Chilled waves. Same with riding, no need to go particularly fast. On a motorway I am slower than a lot of cars, on a winding road..faster than most of them. I have never felt the need to hit the ton every ride to enjoy it.

ff73148:

--- Quote from: faffi on March 25, 2024, 05:45:31 PM ---I am getting old. Throughout life I have observed that as people age, they get more careful. More aware of risk and danger, more afraid of getting injured.

There is some logic to this, of course, as the older we get, the harder it is to bounce back to full health after injury. And we get injured more easily.

On the other hand, if we have already lived - more or less happily - for 60, 70 år 80 years, why should we stop doing things we love just because of risk? I mean, if you end up as a paraplegic at the age of 20 due to some risky actions, your time spent in a wheelchair will be drastically longer than if the same thing happens at the age of 80.

But here I am, just weeks away from turning 60, finding myself erring more and more often on the side of caution. I do not get the pleasure from pushing the envelope like I used to. I now find myself taking some caution that I did not do 10 or 20 years ago, be that when riding motorcycles or lifting weights or running down slippery slopes.

I am, quite honestly, slowly turning into a wuss.

I'm 75 and I still enjoy riding two wheels. I will admit that for touring with my wife I purchased a Can Am Spyder. Owning the Spyder is my way of slowing down. Riding motorcycles keep you young!

--- End quote ---

pehayes:
Regina's (now deceased) Uncle Giovanni was still riding his own moped at 96 the last time I dined with him.  My hero!  Its OK to downsize and still have fun.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

mechanicsavant:
As a pilot friend of mine says “there are old pilots,there are bold pilots . There are no old , bold pilots . The same can be said for M/C riders . As a rider over seventy & over 300 k Mi. Under me I treasure every moment riding . Also , the older I get the faster I used to be !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version