Author Topic: bike insurance  (Read 15182 times)

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
Re: bike insurance
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
Just got back from having a chat with an insurance agent.  I've had bikes with Dairyland for years, never had a claim on a motorcycle, and my renewal was coming up first of March.  The agent has Dairyland among others.  I'm sort of new to Pennsylvania, and had been dealing directly with Dairyland.  Took my renewal notice to the agent and she looked at three different companies: one (she didn't bother to tell me who or how much it was) came out WAY high so she just said "Forget them!" and moved on.  Progressive came back at ~$290 (whole year, for both bikes), the Dairyland renewal was ~$270, and she somehow got Dairyland to come down to ~$150 so I went with that one. 

Your motorcycle/state may vary.

Let's see.  Progressive is pushing that "snap shot" thing, and advocating black boxes in autos?  So if you are operating outside supposed "safe" parameters coverage and insurer liability can be denied?  Ahh, great safety PR with a positive bottom line outcome.   Next, they'll be giving radar/laser units to state and local law enforcement.

Spuddy

Geico has been doing that for many years.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline goozy

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
Living in Quebec at the moment. I can tell you I am surprised that it only costs me $300 for the year, that's for a '14 Griso and I'm still holding my learners permit.

WOW!, I may have to brush up on my french and move. Licensed almost 40 years, never a claim on a bike and I really can't remember my last ticket, mid 80's I think.
Just over $1100 for my 07 Griso last year, liability only, what a freakin' scam.

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »

For motorcycle insurance I can recommend Progressive based on my own experience. I've been very satisfied when a claim was made.

Different property requires different carriers (in my experience).
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Asylum

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 07:38:08 PM »
Wow ,thought Quebec was like poor Ontario . Wrong on that count . Amazing that Ontario wants your first born and yet cheap in Quebec . Thanks for the info , I might move ! I see "goozy" who just posted on this thread took his Griso off insurance in Ontario . Bad news !

Registration costs around $250 per year. I think that's the highest in Canada. A sports bike is double that.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 07:38:08 PM »

Offline Sportsterleroy

• Gosling
    • 1976 Moto GuzziT3 rebirth of da turd
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 08:57:15 PM »
Let's see.  Progressive is pushing that "snap shot" thing, and advocating black boxes in autos?  So if you are operating outside supposed "safe" parameters coverage and insurer liability can be denied?  Ahh, great safety PR with a positive bottom line outcome.   Next, they'll be giving radar/laser units to state and local law enforcement.

Spuddy

I had "Flo's Snap Shot" in my car for 60 days and after the time my insurance on my car dropped the max it allowed of 30% . If you are behaving what have you to worry about.

Leroy in Cleveland
Leroy
Cleveland Ohio
1977 Moto Guzzi Convert
1976 Moto Guzzi 850 T3
2006 Harley Road glide
1996 Harley Sportster 1200
http://977motoguzziconvertproject.shutterfly.com/
http://1976motoguzzit3rebirthofdaturd.shutterfly.com/

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 12:02:02 AM »
I had "Flo's Snap Shot" in my car for 60 days and after the time my insurance on my car dropped the max it allowed of 30% . If you are behaving what have you to worry about.

Leroy in Cleveland

I generally behave on the road, but I'd never have one of those things in my car even if my insurance became free as a result ..... !

One of those "matter of principle" things.   Different people have different limits, and that one crosses mine!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
Another data point:
A promo for bike insurance from AARP came in todays mail, so I called & tried to get the same "apples to apples" quote from their company, Foremost. I say "tried to" because there were a couple differences & features that came with the package I had no choice about, the most important being automatic coverage for accessories up to 3500. and coverage for leathers/helmet etc. This was on the full coverage MP3 only.
The quote came to $285.00 for a year, paid in full in advance.
I'd already signed up & paid for the Progressive, so coverage would not be interrupted.
 Snow is melting fast, but another 2-4" is supposed to be coming tonight, I'm hoping to be able to get a bike up the driveway by Wens next week....starting to twitch a little. 
ronkom
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 02:19:57 PM »
Here in California you have to be careful about your coverage.

The liability and Comp are not that much.

Non-Insured Motorist is the big cost along with setting higher limits.  This coverage really protects you.

I point this out because Non-Insured Motorists are very common here in California.  I've seen a statistic that 40% of the accidents in LA are hit and runs.

Also my first wife was seriously injured by an Uninsured Motorist and only because I had high coverage did she get a large compensation payment for the damage.

Of course she and her five attorneys decided to file for divorce and keep all the payment but that's another story     :beat_horse
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline grinmaul

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »
I am envious of some of your prices, 14 stelvio, 47 year old riding since 16. 1200.
14 Dorsoduro 750 was 900. both full coverage.
86 ns400 600 liability, when i get an appraisal and get full coverage for what its worth i am going to be sad i bet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:39:40 PM by grinmaul »

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
Up'd my coverages last year for my two bikes with Progressive.  By playing around with the different options you can end up with some nice pricing especially if you have multiple bikes.  I have full coverage and even road side assistance on my DR350 :)  Don't think they will do "trail side" though.

$290 for both bikes.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

dibble

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
The variations in cover around the world are fascinating, in the UK you must have a minimum of 3rd party cover.

If you get hit by an uninsured driver there is the Motor Insurers Bureau who will pay you something it's paid for by all Insurers(you the law abiding motorist).

The members of the MIB between them have to provide basic minimum cover to anyone (at a price).

My V50ii, Honda CRM250 and 1999 VFR800 cost £225 Third Party, Fire and Theft with Business 1 use. 46yrs old living in London.

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
Move to Washington state and only ride motorcycles:  no insurance required on two wheelers!  Cars, yep, 4 wheels - coverage is mandatory.

Ciao,
Dick

Same with Florida...

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 04:02:12 PM »

Spuddy

Already being done...and not just with Progressive.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »
There are like 20 pages of lawyers in this little Florida town, and there is no way I'm riding or driving anywhere without a liability policy.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
Registration costs around $250 per year. I think that's the highest in Canada. A sports bike is double that.

Is that for Ontario or Quebec ? I know a few riders who gave up their motorcycles in Ontario . If your a new rider , forget it unless your loaded . Glad I came to the coast long ago . 
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Asylum

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
Is that for Ontario or Quebec ? I know a few riders who gave up their motorcycles in Ontario . If your a new rider , forget it unless your loaded . Glad I came to the coast long ago . 

Thats for Quebec, I think it is less in Ontario. If you have a sports bike, it runs you between $1200-$1500 per season for insurance and plates.

Offline goozy

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
I think it's $60 for a bike plate in Ontario this year, not quite sure because it keeps going up. That $1100 for my Griso also includes uninsured motorist and personal accident benifits, both mandatory here. By the way the minimum fine for driving with no insurance in Ontario is $5000 I believe!

My insurance company lists the Griso as a "High Performance Motorcycle" :D :D :D

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
I've been with Progressive for about 5 years now. Three bikes, full coverage including collision and comp. for a round 250 bucks a year total. Riding experience and driving record similar to Ron's. The big surprised was when I added the KLR three years ago my rates went DOWN.
The Norton and LeMans are with Condon and Skelly who specialize in classic car and bikes. Full coverage for 60 bucks each but I am limited to 1000 miles on each per year. Not a problem with the other three bikes.

Pete

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »
Odd thing about Progressive.  My wife is also insured on my bikes, but no longer rides.  When I went to drop her from the policy, they said my rates would increase.  Makes no sense, but I kept her on.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Asylum

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
I think it's $60 for a bike plate in Ontario this year, not quite sure because it keeps going up. That $1100 for my Griso also includes uninsured motorist and personal accident benifits, both mandatory here. By the way the minimum fine for driving with no insurance in Ontario is $5000 I believe!

My insurance company lists the Griso as a "High Performance Motorcycle" :D :D :D

Thing is, the insurance company I'm with go by stats of a motorcycle. Which means, because there hasn't been many accidents nor claims with Grisos because of being so rare, that puts them in a low risk category. So the more popular or common your bike is the more it'll cost you in insurance.

The reason why Quebec's registrations are high is because it is them who cover disabilities and reliabilities towards the riders,drivers and city damages . Insurance companies covers the bikes. So all in all, it almost comes to the same.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:35:43 PM by Asylum »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here