Author Topic: One Second After and EMP proof Guzzi  (Read 11722 times)

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
  • non e il rumore, e la musica
One Second After and EMP proof Guzzi
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
I just finished reading "One Second After" a book that chronicles what it would be like after a EMP attack kills all of our modern high tech electronic devices. It got me thinking, "I'm glad I have the mighty 850" (Guzzi content). While I'm not a full blown "prepper", but.... Anyway there any number of things that could disrupt the comfortable life as we have come to know it, whether long term or short. It has always amazed me what panic the forecast of a little snow causes here in the south.

So this could be a good topic or gone by the fifth reply. But have you given the topic any thought and if so what plans and or actions have taken.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:41:01 AM by T in NC »

Steve Stamilio

Penderic

Re: One Second After and EMP proof Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »
What do you recommend for a substitute currency - when all the credit and debit cards and readers dont work and you need to refill your gas tank?

I read somewhere:

Bic lighters
Cigarettes
Coins with some precious metal in them.
Packets of sugar?
Toilet paper?
Copies of my book?

Well?  :undecided:

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »
Assuming nuclear origin of said EMP, I hope I'm atomized in the initial blast.  I've had a good life and don't care to struggle to survive in a post-apocolyptic world, thank you very much.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »
Assuming nuclear origin of said EMP, I hope I'm atomized in the initial blast.  I've had a good life and don't care to struggle to survive in a post-apocolyptic world, thank you very much.

Me too.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »
My daughter is the Physicist in the family but basically when a bomb is detonates higher than 25 miles up the energy release causes a couple of reaction that fry electronics, think power surge in a lightning storm, but is not felt by humans and doesn't affect more robust "electrical" systems. Pre 80 cars and motorcycle for example. Problem is the dam chips control almost every thing, it is a digital world.

Who "wants to live in a post-apocalyptic world"? Nobody of course, but there are thing that could be done system wide and personally that would mitigate the suffering.

What do you recommend for a substitute currency - when all the credit and debit cards and readers dont work and you need to refill your gas tank?

I read somewhere:

Bic lighters
Cigarettes
Coins with some precious metal in them.
Packets of sugar?
Toilet paper?
Copies of my book?

Well?  :undecided:

ammo
food
whatever I have that you want more than what I want.

Steve Stamilio

Offline threebrits

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »
The only thing you need after the first second is to find a preppers and get down to the ugly business of survival. 

Personally, I plan on going in the first second and let the cockroaches take over for the next billion years. 
Todd

2013 V7R

Penderic

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
You'll also pay much more for: Candles, simple medical supplies, basic chemicals like alcohol and oils, soaps ......

Uber! Cuban version!  :huh:

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
The united states is 3 million square miles... 

While the threat of EMP attack is somewhat possible... it's not very plausable.

Could an EMP smoke devices regionally? sure... 

But any blasts significant enough to take down the entire US system would be so large as to destroy the entire continent.

Even WE don't have that much nuclear firepower in our arsenal...  much less any of these pissant countries still struggling to make technology on par with Fat Man & Little Boy
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »
Pre 80 cars and motorcycle for example.

Will Cuba rule post-apocalypse? 
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
Anyone that thinks an EMP pulse will shut down the planet, simply need to buy one of my tin foil hats.

:boozing:

EMP will be regional. With a little luck, it will take out the FecesBook servers.  :thumb:   
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »

:1: Remember all of the silly things that were foisted on us as as kids ? Duck and cover , keep your house painted ,bomb shelters, etc etc . I have decided to only worry about things that we might have some control over . Now , if science could just do something about the weather , some Star Trek weather control grid , that would be cool  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
 :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
Anyone that thinks an EMP pulse will shut down the planet, simply need to buy one of my tin foil hats.

:boozing:

EMP will be regional. With a little luck, it will take out the FecesBook servers.  :thumb:
I tend to agree to a point. In book everythig works out perfect, in this case ship launches three misses from the Gulf of Mexico and suddenly we are faced with a 17 century  population that don't have the skills to live in a mid 20th century world.
The are many things that could break the supply chain we all have grown accustomed to, EMP is only one of them. Don't get me wrong this isn't something I'm hiding under my bed over. It is just something I thought I  shold ponder and was wondering if anyone else was.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:03:21 PM by T in NC »

Steve Stamilio

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »

Ammo

Ammo

more ammo and sharp or pointy things.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »
Ammo

Ammo

more ammo and sharp or pointy things.

Yeah, you hear about having gold, cash, guns and ammo.

Wait three days and those with no water will all be gone or trying to figure out if coffee filters really do make urine taste better.

Have water. Just enough protection to keep it. Within a week at most, the current generation will implode because no one on facebook or twitter told them what to do, anyone with an iPhone will find their total sum of knowledge was in the thing when it went belly up and most of everyone else was at a Starbucks when the sky got really bright.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 04:27:38 PM »
The united states is 3 million square miles... 

While the threat of EMP attack is somewhat possible... it's not very plausable.

Could an EMP smoke devices regionally? sure... 

But any blasts significant enough to take down the entire US system would be so large as to destroy the entire continent.

Even WE don't have that much nuclear firepower in our arsenal...  much less any of these pissant countries still struggling to make technology on par with Fat Man & Little Boy

I get what you mean, but to clarify, we have way more firepower than would be needed to obliterate the entire United States.   The US and Russia each still have thousands of nukes.   If a good portion of them were to be used, no one would have to worry about EMPs, in fact no one would worry period.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

beetle

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
Tee hee. EMP will not end civilization as we know it.  :rolleyes:
Might upset one city or three.

Gamma ray burst. Now that'll end us real quick.  :evil:

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
Tee hee. EMP will not end civilization as we know it.  :rolleyes:
Might upset one city or three.

Gamma ray burst. Now that'll end us real quick.  :evil:

Wonder what civilization will look like when we are all large , mean and green ? :laugh:

Hulk mad

Dusty

redrider

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »
What's the point? The sun eventually fries everything. Goodnight Ireeneee!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
Coffee.
Gotta have coffee.
 :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »
What's the point? The sun eventually fries everything. Goodnight Ireeneee!

Not for rather a long time yet though redrider. We really don't need to concern ourselves about that too much. The chances of any given species, including us, being around that long is bordering on nil.

Some form of disaster preparation does make sense though.

Being somewhat earthquake prone our civil defense org. puts out tv adds about it. Basically it amounts to providing yourself (by having it ready) with food, water and some form of shelter for a period of time. They say three days but I think that is too short. Two weeks seems a more sensible time to me.

They also stress having a plan, starting with a family meet up point. (that can be got  to on foot) Given an earthquake scenario any form of travel will likely be disrupted along with systems generally, especially electricity. (When was the last time you say a working fuel pump with a manual handle on it?)

If the disaster requires preperation for more than a couple of weeks then we probably have something of such magnitude that it is approaching an extinction event anyway which will present sets of problems that will probably depend as much on luck as anything else.

The so called "preppers" seem to have a bomb shelter approach and assume hostility which I don't think reflects reasonable reality either in terms of feasibility or attitude.

It's been my observation that in a disaster situation people tend to muck in and help each other as much as possible rather than point guns at each other, though people in New Orleans after Catrina shooting at rescue helicopters does give me pause.

We are a co-operative species. Our survival, let alone progress depends on it.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 06:28:39 PM »
I just finished reading "One Second After" a book that chronicles what it would be like after a EMP attack kills all of our modern high tech electronic devices. It got me thinking, "I'm glad I have the mighty 850" (Guzzi content). While I'm not a full blown "prepper", but.... Anyway there any number of things that could disrupt the comfortable life as we have come to know it, whether long term or short. It has always amazed me what panic the forecast of a little snow causes here in the south.

So this could be a good topic or gone by the fifth reply. But have you given the topic any thought and if so what plans and or actions have taken.

What!??!

No smart phones?  Chipped credit cards?  Internet? ECUs in cars?

OH MY GOD!   WE'D HAVE TO LIVE LIKE WE DID ALL THE WAY BACK IN ....

1980!

AHHHHHHH!   OHHHHHHH!   NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

CLUBS!   FLINT KNAPPING!   SABRE-TOOTHING TIGERS!    WE'D ALL DIEEEEEEEEE ....

Lannis

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:29:41 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Penderic

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »
You mean, I'll then have to get up to change the channel!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:52:13 PM by Penderic »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 07:33:18 PM »

Well, not very often. There'll only be 3.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
I have the thing that is really needed - a wide range of pre-industrial skills.  I make violins, have lots of hand tools (many from my great grandfather), and I know how to make tools.  I can forge weld, hand work wood, shoot with black powder well enough, get machines running (I imagine I could scrounge around and eventually get a point system grafted to my Guzzi), and know negotiation.  Suspect all that will be worth something in a post-electronic world.  I can build a house or a boat out of my head. 

On a more practical level, I encourage people to pay in silver or gold, and never change any for cash.  There's a good deal ammunition stockpiled in dry.  Usually have 2 to 6 months dry food on hand.  Live on running water, heat with wood already. 

In part, I grew up on a SAC base, so a fatalistic approach seems natural.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 08:09:48 PM »

"Anyone that thinks an EMP pulse will shut down the planet, simply need to buy one of my tin foil hats."

Dear Sir, You have regretfully not stated the price of these useful items. Please reply post haste. :clock:

Respectfully,PB :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »

You don't have kids?? :beer:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
Don't buy the cheap, knockoff tin foil hats.  They can be dangerous, even ATTRACTING the rays you're trying to avoid.  I've even seen some ALUMINUM foil hats being marketed as tin.  Folks (and I use the term for depublicans and remocrats alike) -- if the hat doesn't attract a magnet its USELESS!!!!!

That said, I am offering GENUINE TIN foil hats (pointy on top to keep seagulls from roosting) for a mere 50# of potatoes, 10gal of premium fuel, or two boxes of .357, .44, or .270 ammunition.  Lead ingots, saltpeter, and sulpher also possible payment -- smoke-signal me if interested.  Remember -- these GENUINE TIN foil hats are 100% lifetime guaranteed to be genuine tin-foil hats.   :thumb:

Time's wasting and I can't make this offer forever -- send you smoke signal NOW!

oldbike54

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
 Yep , and I am offering smoke signal lessons , will trade for drums of cheap gas , cases of 20W50
Dino , tires in the correct sizes for a Jackal , and cases of Spam .

Dusty

elvisboy77

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »
Lord Jesus, bring on the EMP and make my work smart phone STFU!  Thank you Jesus!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here