Author Topic: Non Guzzi Content: What is it about moto guzzi that makes you a fanatic?  (Read 8428 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
Re: Non Guzzi Content: What is it about moto guzzi that makes you a fanatic?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »
I started very logically. I wanted an older project bike. My dad restores British bikes so I have a love for the brits, but that was his thing. I didn't want to compete. I couldn't afford and Indian. And I liked Ducati, and the Guzzi came up. The rest is history. I now have two of them. Old and new

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
Many years ago I was at the Sportbike Rally in Parry Sound.  There was a fellow there who had ridden his heavily modified Sportster there fro Texas (!!!).  He was holding court in front of several squids on oriental iron when one asked why he had sunk so much time and money into a bike that would never keep up to any of the stock 600cc jap spotbikes.

His reply?

"It makes me smile."

Nuff said.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
I'm right, so don't call me a fanatic!  :thewife:

The torque, the sound........ Pushing it to 6,000 rpm, then taking off......  :boozing:
Lazy driving in second on twisty roads, between almost standstill and 120 kph, braking with the motor only.  :cool:
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
I originally gravitated toward Guzzi because I wanted something different.  I considered Brit bikes (unreliable, at least that was the rap), BMW (at the time airheads, that sewing machine sound didn't quite cut it), and then saw a V7 sport parked in northwest Denver.  I left a note on the seat telling the owner it was the most beautiful bike I had even seen and asked if he would call me to tell me about it.  He called, really nice guy (no surprise there), and I ended up on an '83 Lemans with Lafranconis.  A bunch of Guzzis later and still love them. 

Yes, it's the engine character, the relative ease of maintenance, and it isn't the Same thing everyone else is riding. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:10:19 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

ajwood

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »
Something Special

Penderic

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »

I feel special. I feel at home.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:00:17 PM by Penderic »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
.... Pushing it to 6,000 rpm, then taking off......  :boozing:

You know you have a dry clutch, right?
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2015, 05:32:08 PM »
Call me a poser, but all my friends had Harleys, and I wanted a cruiser that absolutely nobody else had. The fact that the California 1400 turned out to be a fantastic motorcycle was secondary.  :grin:
Plus, as my username and spouse indicate, I'm an Italophile.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 08:59:49 PM »
That fact that a total mechanical ignoramus like me can work on it.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »
Didn't know any better. Having owned a Honda 350 CL and an H2 (crashed, are you suprised? http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=68761.0;wap...)

I was speaking to a customer at the service station I managed in Sausalito " I want a basket case Harley or Norton " and afterwards another customer said " Are you interested in a not running Moto Guzzi ? " and I was all " WTF is that ? "

Paid $350 for my first Eldo, woke it up, rode it, and now I'm in trouble...can't quit.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:29:39 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »
To me it was the engine layout, and the fact that Guzzis (at least back then) were tinkerer's bikes. You could fool with it all you wanted with half a brain, instead of putting it on a truck and hauling to a dealer. You could rebuild a switch. Parts interchangeability. Quirkiness that attaches itself to you. The feeling that you could ride it around the world and know you'd get there. I never took a long trip on a bike, or considered it, until Guzzi, and I was pushing 40. And I'd been riding a Jap 1100. I did Texas, the Black Hills, and Phoenix in short order. I don't know, I guess if you have to ask, you don't really get it.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 11:43:53 PM »
I know what you mean, when I saw a distributor and cap I was stunned...
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »
Yeah, I really got lucky when I joined this forum, everyone has been helpful, a member even donated a sweet brake light for my project.  Sourcing parts is a little expensive, but mostly available and much cheaper than I had thought, used parts for a Tonti are very available.  It's that engine I love so much, it's very nostalgic and americana (ironic), it compliments the frame with a muscle look. I love it.

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
Why Moto Goozy?  :bike-037:

They're original.
They're beautiful.
They're straightforward. .
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
Well, I used to be a fanatic Guzzi owner(still have 3) but after 30 years I'm luke warm on them now.  When they need certain things like a new clutch, my happiness in them takes a dive.  Have found other brand Italian  quirky rides to enjoy too at the same time.  :boozing:  Maybe if I didn't do my own repairs...........

Online guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
Well, lets see: Started with the the sighting of a then new V700 in red and silver riding into my hometown when I was 10, then, the awesome  black Loops  around when I was  a teen, helping uncrate a brand new V7 Sport circa 1972, my  first own Ambo Loop rescued from a yard in San Francisco, the  LM1 sighting in the Euromart showroom in San Jose back in '77 , Mike Baldwin on the LM1 racer, followed by Tontis, road trips on Guzzis for decades, Calis, LM's both Tonti and spine,T's. Asides from that, not much
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:30:53 PM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline Zazu

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 07:59:28 PM »
I'd been riding since I was nine years-old; my Dad and brothers always had something to ride, from old Triumphs to homemade scooters to small enduros and I finally bought my own CX500 while at University. Life happened and any time and money went to raising the kids. While deployed to the Middle East a few years ago, I convinced myself, and my wife 😉, that when I came home it was time to get back on a bike. I had been thinking HD, everybody I knew was riding a Harley. I had an Austrian friend overseas, however, who wouldn't stop talking about Moto Guzzi, mumbled it to me every time we crossed paths; I had no idea ... by the time I got home, searching for MGs became an obsession. The harder they were to find, the more I wanted one! He was right though, Motto Guzzi was what I had been waiting for all these years. Turns out one of the reasons I love the bike the most is the very reason I started thinking HD in the beginning - I was the only guy I knew riding one, everybody else seemed to be riding a Harley 😎

ajwood

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
Aren't Harley riders just a little laid back ?

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »
My dad said "you'll never have a motorcycle while you're living in this house", and he was true to his word.  Of course that made me want one even more.  I was not forbidden from having motorcycle magazines, and I remember one of them, circa 1967, had a red (I think) Guzzi on the cover with the exotic and mesmerizing V twin engine. I guess it was the 700 and the first time the V twin was available.  I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong on the dates, etc.  It was love at first sight, and I, for some reason, thought a Guzzi was so exotic and unobtainable that I sort of put that image in the back for my mind for nearly 36 years while I had Japanese bikes.  The first Guzzi I ever saw in person was the EV I bought in 2003, and the only time I see them to this day is at rallies and once in a blue moon around Atlanta or maybe on the BRP.

It was the layout of the engine that attracted me and it still does :wink:
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 10:31:07 PM »
The first time I saw one, around 1969, I thought "That layout makes so much sense, and the proportions are just right -- that's what a motorcycle should look like."  I went through three bikes before I stumbled across the T, and it felt so good to ride -- solid and neutral handling with great torque that made everything easy.
'
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 12:00:48 AM »
The original reason I gravitated towards Guzzi was sloth. I don't like chain maintenance and I really wanted valves I could adjust myself without having to take the whole damn bike apart.

I hate chains, I hate chains. Did I mention I hate chains? So shaft drive it was, and I didn't want a 4 cylinder bike or a parallel twin. That left me with BMW and Guzzi.

BMW is... well Break My Wallet... that and every damn hipster in seattle has one. Not to mention your average BMW rider is a special kind of person that I don't normally associate with. I wanted exclusivity so it was down to just Guzzi. That and I love the engine layout and just the general aesthetics of their bikes, so much more soul than Beemers.

It was actually harder to figure out which model Guzzi I wanted than it was to pick the brand.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here