Author Topic: What to do for my master thesis?  (Read 6952 times)

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
What to do for my master thesis?
« on: October 07, 2016, 04:48:19 AM »
Ave! :grin:

You guys seems to be full of great ideas and now I would like you to help me figure out what to do for my master thesis. I'm studying informatics (programming) just FYI. I'm banging my head against the wall for last few months and it's still :blank:. What I want to do is something practical, innovative and usefull. For sure it can be motorcycle-safety-related. Something with Raspberry Pi maybe. I was thinking about adaptive headlight for motorcycle but maybe this is a little bit to big for me.

Any other ideas? What do you miss on a bike? What technological gadget would enhance driver's safety?

Thanks in advance...  :bow:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:43:03 AM by waxi »
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: What to do for my master thesis?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 05:26:04 AM »
Just having fitted security cams round my house I'm in security mode.
And you did mention security.
So how about a dedicated bike alarm that also has a spycam that sends alert emails and actual real time snaps if the bike is being messed with?
It's probably already available but I haven't heard.
The app for home is 365SECU but I found that impossible to download from google searches as every site was full of scams.
However I did get it from Winplus who are the agents for my cams.

Perhaps a motorcycle application would be a new thing if you're quick.

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:48:06 AM »
Eh, I used the wrong word. Security instead of safety :undecided: I've edited my initial post...

Thanks luthier, I've been thinking of that also because many people mess with my bike when parked for example outside a bar. Apparently they like my V7 :)
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline tool flinger

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »
What do you miss on a bike?  What technological gadget would enhance driver's safety?

I'm not sure this would be a good programming project but as a rider safety enhancement I'd love to see an aftermarket self cancelling turn signal module.  I had self cancelling signals on my '84 V65 Sabre years ago and they worked great.  I do miss them on my Guzzi.

I wonder how many accidents have occurred due to riders forgetting to cancel a turn signal?  I bet quite a few.
'02 LeMans

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
How about some kind of rear end collision early warning? The equipment and software on new cars that detects an impending collision and applies the brakes should be similar to what you would need for the project. We should all be watching our mirrors at a stop light or stop sign but I know I don't all of the time.
North Carolina

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:50 AM »
How about some kind of rear end collision early warning? The equipment and software on new cars that detects an impending collision and applies the brakes should be similar to what you would need for the project. We should all be watching our mirrors at a stop light or stop sign but I know I don't all of the time.

Well, you certainly got my attention. Lidar can be used to "radar" what is happening behing you when you are at stop light. If object is moving more than specified, brake light starts to flash quickly. How about that? :laugh: Doable, very doable.
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 08:32:30 AM »
Well, you certainly got my attention. Lidar can be used to "radar" what is happening behing you when you are at stop light. If object is moving more than specified, brake light starts to flash quickly. How about that? :laugh: Doable, very doable.

That sounds like something, I'm paranoid about being hit from the rear
Flash the rear light and sound the horn to warn the rider.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »

This is a great idea! :thumb: :1: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Pisano

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
Moving aerodynamic Wings.

MotoGP is getting rid of Aero wings but why not put them on production bikes?  Go one step further and make them moving depending on speed, acceleration lean angle etc.

Who knows , maybe Guzzi will fire up the old wind tunnel for you.   :thumb:

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »

And perhaps a flashing light near the instrument panel which could suggest moving.
North Carolina

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »

Hi Waxi,

Arduino could be a good starting point. Basic starter kits come with proximity sensors and plugging in extra units e.g. GPS is a synch. Using FM is probably the way to go for rate of change measurement of the approaching vehicle. GPS versus Wheel speed for the motorcycle with inputs from brakes throttle and possible engine speed
There is plenty of info for code which is C++ and I think an early warning rear collision system is a real possibility.

Best of luck!
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
Work with Beetle and guzzidag for a slick fuel mapping app for android

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
Congratulations on getting to this point in your program. The best thesis or dissertation is one that you can realistically complete. Don't try to do your "life's work" at this point.

That being said, I really like the idea of sensing an object approaching from the rear and giving an appropriate warning to the rider and to the approaching driver. I think there are statistics about the number of rear-impacts on stopped motorcycles - which would have to be part of your literature review.

I would also be thinking about patentability of this idea if I were you. A combination of current technologies in a novel way can qualify for patent protection.

I wonder if this rear-encroachment warning can also be provided while in motion - so any object within x distance at x speed gets warned. (see recent thread re getting rid of tailgaters for other options and concerns about other drivers reactions to flashing brake lights.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:18:26 PM by Scud »
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
How about a heads-up (HUD)  GPS/nav dashboard display that's viewable 24/7, scalable, and able to display custom data fields (say oil pressure input from a std vdo sender/thermocouple/tach pickup? 

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »
Hey, if you do the rear looking lidar thing make sure and put the indicators in the mirrors.  The split seconds saved by not having to figure out what is going on and then change view to behind could save a life. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »
How about an air pressure meter that would feed information to a servo-operated windshield vent pursuant to achieving ideal laminar flow around the rider. Done right, the still air envelope could be managed perfectly...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »
I did mine on the Harley-Davidson Corporation for business.  I think you're looking in the area that you should be in.  When it hits you it'll make sense.  Good luck. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »
OK, I'm liking this rear looking LIDAR idea more and more..  another suggestion for it would be to strobe the brake and directionals to maybe prevent a rear end collision. 

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
If I were sitting at a busy intersection and the bike beneath me started blinking and beeping - without my input - I would probably have a heart attack and think my bike was critically broke. I wouldn't be looking behind me, I would be looking down.

So, maybe something a little bit more subtle...blinking idiot light?
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 ― Robert Pirsig

Offline Mark Harpell

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »
And perhaps a flashing light near the instrument panel which could suggest moving.
Or a small LED in each mirror, in an upper corner..just enough to get your attention....
Mark

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
How about a comparative study on the effectiveness of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course in the US,versus what equivalent training is offered in a country of your choice?

There should be lots of data available to test your hypothesis both here and in the country you choose.

Best wishes for your graduation.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »
Waxi,
An idiot sensor that warns you of low IQ in vicinity and deploys a blue flashing light.
The blue flashing light around here seems to improve IQ and driving ability, also makes your motorcycle highly visible as their hip pocket nerve bites them in the arse and wakes them up, gets them off the phone and greatly improves their situational awareness.
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Motorcycle safety, you've chosen a difficult subject the safetycrats over here have an answer, a total ban and they are slowly chipping away to that end.
I like centauros idea, so I'll second his approach.
Good luck with the thesis.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Here's a Master's level question - why does a person in most of the US have to spend many hours in both classroom and behind the wheel training to operate a car but can in many places legally operate a motorcycle that has a higher HP to weight ratio than a NASCAR vehicle after passing a 10 minute written test?

I know laws differ among the states but, overall, I think getting a motorcycle license/permit in the US is too easy.

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 ― Robert Pirsig

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 06:40:44 PM »
Try looking at the Skene Lights website. Their programmable flicker technology seems to work and might be a good starting point for developing something more high tech.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 06:53:50 PM »
I had a near miss on the way to work Friday.  Driver was camping out behind a semi for a good long while as I approached in the passing lane.  With no signal, the @-whole moves left within two bike lengths.  It was a pucker moment for me that I hadn't had in quite a while.  I was paying attention, but the driver was oblivious.  I certainly could've benefited from some technology that would alarm inside the automobile that would startle the crap out of someone if they attempt a lane change while they're being overtaken by another vehicle. 

I know the goose is picked up by the blind-spot monitoring of vehicles since I see the indicator on their side-view mirror illuminate as I go by. . . this time, however, the creep asleep at the wheel didn't check any mirrors.

"Active lane departure warning while being overtaken."
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 05:35:59 AM »
Guys, we were having grape harvest (I think that's how it's called in English), so didn't have time to reply to each and every one of you.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

All your ideas are great, now I just to have pick one. Lidar is really interesting. I'll dig into the literature to see how this could be done. Let's go step by step. Devildog, thanks for Skene Lights information. It will be much easier to use this controller than figuring out current motorcycle wiring shema.

Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
Devildog, thanks for Skene Lights information. It will be much easier to use this controller than figuring out current motorcycle wiring shema.

I think you just passed one important hurdle in the journey towards your thesis. That being, not trying to re-invent the wheel.

As for motorcycle safety, my long-held dream is being able to mount front- and rear-facing mini rocket launchers a.la. Chuck Norris. Probably impractical, but a guy can dream.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 04:07:35 PM »
Or a small LED in each mirror, in an upper corner..just enough to get your attention....
This is exactly why I was thinking a blinkin light on the mirrors to draw your eye would be best.  Coupled with rear pointing see me strobes.

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »
Hi guys :bow:

Just wanted to post a little update on how this little thing goes. Find pictures below :evil:
Basically I have put together a little controller with Arduino Mega, accelerometer and lidar from Garmin. Display is used to interact with user. It's still work in progress but so far so good. I have 4 relays ready to alert sleepy driver behind: "Hey, I am here, you jacka**!"

Will keep you posted ;)

Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
some great ideas here.   :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here