Author Topic: Calling all Coffee connoisseurs  (Read 7851 times)

stormshearon

Re: Calling all Coffee connoisseurs
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »
For the folks using a Nespresso machine - check out https://www.39espresso.com/collections/nespresso. They sell the original pods for very reasonable money. Along with that, I have a very nice burr grinder (usually Trader Joes Columbian) and a French press that I use on weekends.

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »
Aeropress, Kirkland Signature Columbian Whole Beans $14.99 for 3 lbs bag, by checking date on bag usually can get within 10 days of roasting, burr grinder.  Best Cappuccino, Latte, Americano just do not expect a shot of espresso. The Nespresso systems makes an amazing cuppa, just not very Guzzi like, expensive, wasteful and stuck with one OS, much more BMW then Guzzi  :popcorn:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
Aeropress, Kirkland Signature Columbian Whole Beans $14.99 for 3 lbs bag, by checking date on bag usually can get within 10 days of roasting, burr grinder.  Best Cappuccino, Latte, Americano just do not expect a shot of espresso. The Nespresso systems makes an amazing cuppa, just not very Guzzi like, expensive, wasteful and stuck with one OS, much more BMW then Guzzi  :popcorn:

:grin: :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »
kidsmoke - I bring a very small alcohol stove along on my overnight/2day romps. It is a great little Trangia 28 stove (~$40 on Amazon brand new) that comes with nearly everything you need right out of the box for everything from "just coffee" to "steak and eggs." The stove and my additions (lighter, bit of foil for a windscreen, fuel, Swiss Army Knife, long handled spoon, 16 oz widemouth thermos, bandana):

hosting

for

forums

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
ʉۥ Robert Pirsig

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »

Offline Monza-jockey

• Gosling
  • Rainer Lang
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »
For everyday use, I like the French press with Folgers...I know I know. :thewife:

As for instant ( it's da sh*t man!)  :thumb: --->The is a recall for undeclared milk ingredients<---
 https://www.amazon.com/Vinacafe-Wake-Up-Weasel-Instant-Sachets/dp/B00WJBYIQK?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=801966827-16-752761103.1477162729&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00WJBYIQK&linkCode=xm2&tag=d_2b_a_o-20
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:04:51 PM by Monza-jockey »
I don't always ride motorcycles, when I do,  I prefer  Moto Guzzi.

Keep riding, my friends...

1982 V50 Monza

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
For everyday use, I like the French press with Folgers...I know I know. :thewife:

As for instant ( it's da sh*t man!)  :thumb: --->The is a recall for undeclared milk ingredients<---
 https://www.amazon.com/Vinacafe-Wake-Up-Weasel-Instant-Sachets/dp/B00WJBYIQK?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=801966827-16-752761103.1477162729&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00WJBYIQK&linkCode=xm2&tag=d_2b_a_o-20

I don't know that I'd want to wake a Weasel up, he might bite you.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »
I've tried many different coffee machines, from expensive bean to cup (high maintenance) to stove top Bialetti (basic but 100% reliable) but have settled on a Gaggia classic as my overall favourite.

Makes great espresso and has the steam facility for frothing milk for cappuccino, generally reliable as long as you don't run it dry and you keep it descaled and not overly expensive, plus it's a nice piece of kitchen art;

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »
Well I didn't expect this to be a tyre /oil/fastest colour like thread :grin:

Thanks everyone for your input and an Aeropress is on the Christmas list  :thumb:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Moto

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »
Well I didn't expect this to be a tyre /oil/fastest colour like thread :grin:

Thanks everyone for your input and an Aeropress is on the Christmas list  :thumb:

Good job! Pay attention to the instructions, BTW. If you follow them to the letter you'll have really good results.

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »
You guys are all out to lunch, everyone knows McDonald's makes the best coffee.   :evil:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 12:53:29 AM »
Out here, they use local Kona coffee.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Kentktk

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 01:05:35 AM »
I like French Press coffee. The problem with unfiltered coffee (press or percolated) is that it raises cholesterol levels. If you don`t have an issue than no worry, but for those that do, it`s something to consider.

Instant coffee and drip-brewed coffee had “negligible” amounts, and espresso had intermediate amounts. Research has shown that drinking five cups of coffee daily from a French press brewing method can increase blood cholesterol levels by 6 to 8 percent.Mar 29, 2016
Coffee and Cholesterol: - Healthline

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6242467/ns/health-heart_health/t/coffee-cholesterol/#.WA2i9pMYiH0

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10971787

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 05:01:53 AM »
Folgers crystals.  Add hot water, done.

The coffee guys are all now pressing "ignore" by my name...... :grin:

kjf

Wife and I were buying whole bean coffee from a local coffee roaster/shop at $10+ per lb and while it was very good coffee it was getting cost prohibitive. One day at the grocery store in the Mexican food isle I saw Café Bustelo bricks BOGO for $2.50. I thought for the price what have I got to loose. As it turns out we both really liked it and have since stopped buying the expensive stuff.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 06:52:49 AM »
As I sit here drinking a cup of Aldis coffee made in a Bunn coffee maker I realize this turnip farmer needs to up his status among fellow turnip farmers.

Hence, I'm throwing out my black Moto Guzzi cups and only drinking from a white ceramic cup. (I'm practicing in holding out my pinkie finger.)

I can't bring myself to kick someone in the shins with my size 15 steel toe boots just because they offer me a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup.

I got the proper cup, the correct water and the best coffee maker so do I need to wear silk drawers to make it the ultimate
experience?

Brassica rapa (formerly the Texas turnip, the barbaric coffee drinker.)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »
Surprised no one has mentioned TechniVorm Moccamaster brewing machine.
See review at www.seattlecoffeege ar.com.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
I like French Press coffee. The problem with unfiltered coffee (press or percolated) is that it raises cholesterol levels. If you don`t have an issue than no worry, but for those that do, it`s something to consider.

hmmmm...been draining the contents of a Bodium French press every morning before work for at least a decade. I must have that anti coagulant in my blood. Doc says my cholesterol is nearly non-existent.

Eight O'clock Columbian whole beans are as good as any out there at a half or a third of the price.
A surprising thing is that coffee tastes better when drunk from a ceramic cup with a white inside.

That explains why this is my favorite cuppa...my sweetie brought this back from Italy for me. My daily drinker.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »
As I sit here drinking a cup of Aldis coffee made in a Bunn coffee maker I realize this turnip farmer needs to up his status among fellow turnip farmers.

Hence, I'm throwing out my black Moto Guzzi cups and only drinking from a white ceramic cup. (I'm practicing in holding out my pinkie finger.)

I can't bring myself to kick someone in the shins with my size 15 steel toe boots just because they offer me a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup.

I got the proper cup, the correct water and the best coffee maker so do I need to wear silk drawers to make it the ultimate
experience?

Brassica rapa (formerly the Texas turnip, the barbaric coffee drinker.)

I had to look that one up Ken.

Brassica rapa L. is a plant consisting of various widely cultivated subspecies including the turnip (a root vegetable); the mizuna, napa cabbage, bok choy, and cime di rapa (leaf vegetables);

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »
I have gone through many types of brewers, the best of those being an entry level espresso machine which I got through vouchers at my local gas station. But I've always hated the messy job of taking used coffee powder out of the filter and into the dustbin: half of the damn powder always ended up on the floor.

Finally I switched to Nespresso, and been perfectly happy sofar.

Few months ago I dropped caffeine altogether though, because I started to drink too many coffees or teas per day and getting too excited.

Now I drink zero to 1 decaf espresso per day. The fun thing is that, after a short period of being "down" without caffeine, now I feel absolutely no difference and I start my day without the "kick" of my espresso.

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
Buy the green beans from Sweet Maria's and roast them yourself. It is really not that hard or expensive to do entry-level roasting, and you wont' be able to find coffee any fresher.

:1: I get my beans from Sweet Marias and have a Behmor roaster. Recently upgraded to a Technivorm coffee maker. Maybe my taste buds are not too developed but I could not tell any difference between the $300 Technivorm and the $60 Cuisinart it replaced.  :sad:

I have an Aeropress that I used a few times but I prefer regular drip.  :coffee:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 12:36:23 AM »
I get beans from Sweet Marias once in a while, but more often from Burman, and get Haiti and Dominican Republic beans from cafekreyol.com.

If I may return to the original subject ... the lady of the house likes her Aeropress a lot, and at home we always use the espresso machine since it's always on, but ... when a moka pot brew turns out really well, there's nothing better.  Thick, rich, intense, bites back a little - yeah.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here