Author Topic: Different riding styles  (Read 5372 times)

Rough Edge racing

Different riding styles
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:30:35 AM »
 Saturday I went on a ride to Watkins Glenn (70 miles one way) with 6 other riders I didn't know. They were much younger guys on an assortment of bikes, FZ1 Yamaha, Ninja 500, Vulcan 1500, old XS650, BMW CS650, 80's Yamaha 500 single and my 96 900 M Ducati... A nice day for a ride on the two lane roads....
  Some of the guys at times rode side by side ,some rode single file and off set like I do so the rider in front can see you in his mirrors..

We stopped for a break to have a look at the old Yamaha having a slight problem. The young guy on the CS650 BMW was following me and mentioned I weave slowly back and forth while riding, does my bike have a problem? Well no, I was told years ago that weaving make the bike mores noticeable to other vehicles on the road, so that's why I do it...
 I noticed some of the other riders do not appear to be "On Guard" when approaching an intersection with vehicles waiting to to pull out. I think it's danger and get ready for action....
  At times we running along at 70 mph and the riders on the xs650 and 500 single would be squirming around due to the vibration.. :grin:
 And contrary to poplar belief, Harley riders do wave...There was a herd of them on the road and every one from old Shovelheads to the newest did the low level wave....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:33:16 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Different riding styles
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »
Younger guys will learn what old guys know about intersections one way or another.  For me I'm on guard at pretty much all crossings and at all T intersections where the car can come from my right.  If that one comes you don't have many good choices.  Watch them front wheels!

Unfortunately they'll learn.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
Interesting thread.  People usually get used to driving in cars or riding dirt bikes before they start riding a motorcycle on public roads, and some don't stop to think that someone pulling out in front of you at an intersection could easily end your life in an instant.  I like the the phrase "staying in control of the situation".  We have to try to ride so that no matter what other drivers do, we have a way to avoid a crash.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Northern Bill

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
My wife went to one of those schools where you ride all weekend and get your license at the end.  They told her to stay just inside the centre line. When she came riding with me she also asked why I was weaving all the time.  I told her about the research that shows if a bike remains in a constant position it becomes basically invisible to oncoming traffic.
1973 Triumph Adventurer Cafe Racer
1975 T3/Le Mans replica
1987 Honda CBX250 Track Bike
1989 Honda GB500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »
Seems like as good a place as any to mention this.

I indulgently rode all the bikes in the fleet yesterday, one by one as the day went on.

It occurred to me that there was no real difference in waves or greetings from the time I was on the V7 or Ducati as compared to the Sporty or RK.

Though I did strike up one conversation with a gentlemen at a road side stand while I (and my daughter) were on the V7. He liked the Guzzi, rides lots of bikes etc, and specifically was stating that he's not a "brand snob" and etc.

But the one that made me chuckle the most was late in the day on the Ducati I pulled up at a light next to some guy, sorta typical Harley looking, wearing work boots and shorts on a Twin Cam Harley Dyna. He looked over and said "wow that's nice" followed by "is that a 3-cylinder?"  :laugh: 

Never a dull moment.

As for "style" I have none  :boozing:

But I have noticed myself covering the brake more and more than I used to. And I've been consciously thinking about the weaving thing at times. I definitely adjust speeds and lane positioning for crossroads/intersections, driveways, etc.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
The whole lane is mine! From stripe to stripe. I move back and forth quite a bit and never ride beside another bike.
The new riders will eventually figure it out.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
  The riders on the XS650 and Vulcan were in T shirts (it was about 85F) Everyone else was wearing light leather or abrasion resistant synthetic...All wore lightweight shoes , I was wearing  lace up leather work boots...Everyone had a full face helmet except for the half helmet on the Vulcan rider and me in a open face  newer classic Bell with goggles...Everyone but the Vulcan rider was wearing gloves...
  I would say none of the guys was older than maybe early 30's and all seemed to handle a bike with no problem..

The 05 Yamaha FZ1 had a GPS so he was the lead man. On the return we got onto narrow curvy bumpy roads and the FZ1 with me on his ass pulled away from the others ....The roads didn't allow the FZ to use all it engine  performance so I was able to stay close on the Monster but I had to work at it....
  What's interesting, we recently bought another property in a more rural town about 15 away. And the guy on the FZ will be our new neighbor !!! This is the first time in owning seven houses that any close neighbor and me share a common interest...

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Everyone on a motorcycle passes me, no matter what I'm riding. Especially on scenic roads. I must not be having any fun.  :bike-037:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »
White helmet and orange vest- It gets their attention possbly because they're not sure if I'm a cop.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
Ive noticed that Im on focused attention when cresting a hill where some are not. Not only for danger but to scan for exuberant law enforcement, given my bad habit of allegedly exceeding the posted speed limits when out in the wilderness playing " dodge deer". they don't seem to care about right of way or orange vests. a curious thing happened once when I threw my arm up to warn the guys behind me, the deer evidently spotted that and it scattered them, running away from me.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
Doubling up the headlights and "greater visibility" aside - I'm always amazed at folks deliberately riding side-by-side on motorcycles at speed. I just don't see any advantage to the concept and LOTS of downside.

Of course, I don't care that my riding of a motorcycle is viewed as cinematic by those I pass or that might pass me.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
Hi Viz is the new black  :thumb:

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 01:21:59 PM »
Weaving is a way to be noticed............ ......I weave some but it's so others don't trust what I'm going to do next and stay clear of me.  Besides, I ain't right.  :azn:

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »
Cops will pull you over for weaving . The correct response is "weaving ?, he'll I can't even nit !"  :boozing:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »
Weaving 'to be seen' is an interesting idea. Makes sense. I've been doing for all the wrong reasons for many years. (not the pub crawl)
I ride the right cager track when no traffic is around; on the (probably false) thought that it gives me a millisecond more room from animals rushing out of the bush/ditch. When traffic is on-coming I move to the left tire track on the (again probably false) belief that if I need to avoid a collision or a recap truck tire lets go I'll hit the ditch rather than the asphalt. Dirt is a little softer and I'm less likely to be run over. (small concession).
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:11:02 AM »
The watch the tire thought. I have noticed that I can't always see a car 90 degrees to me start to move out into the road, but if I look at the tires, I can see them start to rotate. Maybe looking at the car and background while I'm moving block the movement, but I can see the tire rotate in relation to the ground.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 05:23:16 AM »
yes, Tom.
What i actually watch is the wheel spokes (most cars have mags) and it's very easy to spot any movement.
By this time i've also slowed and flicked the high beam switch.
Am getting paranoid about vehicles at T junctions coming out and wiping you out, esp after an acqaintance is now getting around with a walking frame.
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Honda MB5 (with a whoppa 100cc engine transplant)
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 05:29:42 AM »
I think it's the tire motion in relation to the fender that you see first :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline zokn

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »

By this time i've also slowed and flicked the high beam switch.

I don't flick my lights. Too many car drivers use this - and will respond to this - by thinking it's an invitation to take over the right of way, that you are saying, "Okay, you go."

I do weave, but I try to make it look like something I mean to do and is not just screwing around, so I'll move from the left tire track to the right, hold it there a bit, then move back. And I always watch for vehicle movement and the unexpected; and I slow down, or prepare to, as required.

I'm more interested in getting home safely than proving a point - either to another driver or rider, or to myself.

I pattern my riding positioning after the advice in Motorcycle Roadcraft, which I recommend.   

http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft
Stephen

Nova Scotia, Canada

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
1975 BMW R90/6 (sold)

Previously: several BSAs, Lambretta 150 with a Bambino sidecar, 1978 Honda 550, 1985 BMW K100RT, 1996 Ducati Multistrada

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
I don't flick my lights. Too many car drivers use this - and will respond to this - by thinking it's an invitation to take over the right of way, that you are saying, "Okay, you go."

Good point.  I've been on the receiving end of that many times.  Someone flashes his high beams at me and I have no idea whether he means "go ahead" or "look out, I'm coming through."  I'm sure it's not standardized.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »
I don't FLASH the high beam, but I will TURN IT ON for a minute if my scanning suggests too much motion/too many chances for someone to pull out etc.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
I've been ridding for 50+ years. The older I get I find myself ridding so defensively and aware of every possible issue that at times I am ridding with my shoulders hunched and tight. This is fatiguing and can take the joy out of the ride. I especially do this if I'm leading or alone. I guess I realize that now days and time people drive with their heads up their arses, texting, eating, putting makeup on etc. I even investigated  a rear end accident involving a guy with a open hustler magazine doing the ugly. It's hard to find a happy medium at times and in certain situations.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
I've been ridding for 50+ years. The older I get I find myself ridding so defensively and aware of every possible issue that at times I am ridding with my shoulders hunched and tight. This is fatiguing and can take the joy out of the ride. I especially do this if I'm leading or alone. I guess I realize that now days and time people drive with their heads up their arses, texting, eating, putting makeup on etc. I even investigated  a rear end accident involving a guy with a open hustler magazine doing the ugly. It's hard to find a happy medium at times and in certain situations.

That's pretty much how I feel most of the time...So most of my riding is with Petrus Rocks from this site, he has good knowledge of the many little traveled challenging rural back roads in this area... We go out for an hour or two of sporting riding where the dangers are more limited to rider stupidity and cow shit on the road.... Italian V twin thunder in the country side scattering wildlife...Makes you feel all smiley in your helmet...

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
Saturday I went on a ride to Watkins Glenn (70 miles one way) with 6 other riders I didn't know. They were much younger guys on an assortment of bikes, FZ1 Yamaha, Ninja 500, Vulcan 1500, old XS650, BMW CS650, 80's Yamaha 500 single and my 96 900 M Ducati... A nice day for a ride on the two lane roads....

Oh heck yes Watkins is a beautiful place to ride to. I live a short 10 minute hop from there. Which way did you ride in from, and what town do ya live near? Did you stop at either of the two ice cream shops in town, or Lanes Yamaha?
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
But I have noticed myself covering the brake more and more than I used to. And I've been consciously thinking about the weaving thing at times. I definitely adjust speeds and lane positioning for crossroads/intersections, driveways, etc.

I rode to work for the first time in three months, now that I'm officially cleared medically to ride.    I definitely noticed myself consciously changing lane position to be visible depending on the situation.     When following a car, if a vehicle is waiting to pull into traffic form the right, I move to the right side of the lane to be seen sooner.   Likewise, if there is oncoming vehicle waiting to turn left, I move to the left side of the lane to be soon sooner by them.   I've always done this, but, was just thinking about it more, after not riding for a while.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Oh heck yes Watkins is a beautiful place to ride to. I live a short 10 minute hop from there. Which way did you ride in from, and what town do ya live near? Did you stop at either of the two ice cream shops in town, or Lanes Yamaha?

The ride started on Rt 21 in Marion where myself and most of the others live near..We jogged around Phelps and Geneva and got on Rt 14 to the Glenn...Ate at Nickle's rib joint.. Then we headed back  north on the other side of the lake...The town was jammed with bikes, mostly Harley's...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:24:41 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
Mmm, nice. If you want a good ride, come down to Penn Yan and ride around Keuka Lake. Not a quick ride, the whole west side of that lake is 30-35 mph, but it's pretty, and well suited for motorcycle riding.

Yeah, loads of Harleys in Watkins, I get sick of seeing them, which is why I ride a Guzzi.

Next time you're down this way, let me know, might be able to join you.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »
Just a side note for you WNY guys, the NY Norton owners will be having their annual rally at Samson St Park south of Geneva on Seneca Lake this weekend. Those not riding Nortons will likely be on Italian  steeds of various marques including Guzzis plus Brit bikes of all vintages. Get there early Saturday and join the group ride usually done on roads between Seneca lake and RT 36 Hornell-Addison area. Many fine roads out that way.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:06:20 PM by PeteS »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 02:54:01 PM »
Weaving from side to side makes it tough on someone taught by a riding school, they usually teach to ride staggered never side by side like the cops.

I also take note of what happens at a traffic light, the riding school guys will wait in gear with foot on the brake while the self taught guys will sit with both feet on the ground in neutral.

I get nervous if I have to sit behind a car at the lights, I like to leave an escape route in case I get hit from behind.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »

Weaving from side to side makes it tough on someone taught by a riding school, they usually teach to ride staggered never side by side like the cops.

I also take note of what happens at a traffic light, the riding school guys will wait in gear with foot on the brake while the self taught guys will sit with both feet on the ground in neutral.

There are some generalisations and assumptions there.

Side-by-side certainly reduces safety, but on a deserted multi-lane with plenty of sight what's wrong?

Certainly I'll do it for a short distance sometimes when communicating with a rider.

And I almost always put both my feet on the ground with the bike in neutral or at least my right foot with my left perched over the gearshift, ready to drop it in gear and pull away if need be. I might even snick it into gear as a car is approaching if it doesn't look like it will stop far enough back. And then both my feet might just be on the ground.

And yes I attended rider training.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here