Author Topic: Different riding styles  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
Re: Different riding styles
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »
Weaving from side to side sounds a rather selfish road hogging action to me.  What if someone behind you is trying to overtake?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
Weaving from side to side sounds a rather selfish road hogging action to me.  What if someone behind you is trying to overtake?
Perhaps you should ask for clarification regarding the weave. I doubt anyone here is talking about weaving the whole width of the lane.

However, since you are entitled to the whole width of the lane and by law anyone overtaking you must use the incoming lane (at least in most of the US) I fail to see what would be considered selfish?

Unless you were so erratic the traffic was scared you wouldn't hold to your lame?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuck750

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
I rode up from Phoenix to home starting on Wednesday morning last week, getting home Sunday afternoon, 3800 Km, three riders in total, no interstate roads. My long time riding buddy has 48 years experience on 2 wheels, the 'new guy' just 17 and I have been riding for 38 years. The bikes varied from my R1150RT, a GL1800 and a KLR 650. We rode to the speed of the KLR; 75 ~ 80 mph. The KLR rider is the best rider and has the most experience, he can ride the wheels off anything and I have never met anyone who can keep up to him regardless of the bike or rider. Following him behind when he is on his Valkyrie is an experience that many sport bike riders won't forget. Our 'style' is to ride at least 100 feet apart on the highway, we ride the centre of the road and we don't wiggle all over the road. I have always been able to anticipate what the other guys are going to do when following. We are so in tune with the others style and moves that we find it very hard to ride with anyone else. At dusk or dark I take the lead since I have the strongest auxiliary headlights and I have been lucky over the years to spot and signal for wildlife. We stop about every three hours for fuel and a break and switch leaders. Our typical days riding duration is around 9 hours. We have never had a crash or a mishap of any kind.

Last year I went on group ride (10+ guys and all styles and ability) that reminded me why I don't typically ride in groups or with strangers. Short way into the trip one guy braked to turn, then corrected out of the turn and was hit by the guy behind him riding too fast and not paying attention! GL1800 went down and the rider was thrown from his bike onto the highway, no serious injured but it could have been real bad.

Every one is different and its hard to find a match to ones style. The key is to ride your own ride and if you are so lucky to find a rider with a similar level of skill and style make them your best friend.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
Perhaps you should ask for clarification regarding the weave. I doubt anyone here is talking about weaving the whole width of the lane.

From a poster above "The whole lane is mine! From stripe to stripe."

However, since you are entitled to the whole width of the lane and by law anyone overtaking you must use the incoming lane (at least in most of the US) I fail to see what would be considered selfish?

Yet as also posted above, most riders are taught to ride staggered, but obviously would be side by side for a moment if one was overtaking the other.

I've never heard or know about the law saying that you must use the opposite lane (if this is what you mean by incoming).

Unless you were so erratic the traffic was scared you wouldn't hold to your lame?

What are you trying to say here, Kev m?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:07:05 PM by Kiwi Dave »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »

The weave I do is about two feet at most  and I'm not doing it all the time ...What if some one wants to overtake?  Not on my watch   :evil:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »

From a poster above "The whole lane is mine! From stripe to stripe."

Yet as also posted above, most riders are taught to ride staggered, but obviously would be side by side for a moment if one was overtaking the other.

I've never heard or know about the law saying that you must use the opposite lane (if this is what you mean by incoming).

What are you trying to say here, Kev m?

Sorry, posting from my kids' swim class.

Well first I agree that the whole lane belongs to a single bike, that's the law in the US everywhere but CA (the only place where lane splitting is legal, but is supposed to be pretty rigidly limited).

That said I'm not sure I interpreted the above poster who said the whole lane is his from stripe to stripe that he would weave so much as to go that whole way, it's just too erratic.

But yes, it is not legal to pass a motorcycle (or car) in the same lane in the US (anywhere but CA), so unless it's a multi-lane road in your direction you'd have to use the ONcoming lane (sorry not incoming, stupid auto correct).

Lastly I meant that I can't see how a weave would then interfere with overtaking or be selfish unless it was so extreme and erratic that other drivers/riders were worried you were losing control.

But I doubt anyone meant any more of a weave than a slight side-to-side.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
What if some one wants to overtake?  Not on my watch   :evil:

You've just reinforced my comments.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:36 PM »
You've just reinforced my comments.
I believe he meant that partially in jest.

But I'd guess he also means that being a fast sporty rider he would normally pick up a pace to see if rider/driver still was trying to pass and he doubts many would still want to.

At least that's how I read it, which is obviously different from how you read it.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
Kev M is his usual argumentive self eh!

Sent from my shoe phone!
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
Kev M is his usual argumentive self eh!

Sent from my shoe phone!
If by that you mean I try to see from different perspectives and put forth the reasons that support them to others who don't, ok, sure.

I just thought that there is nothing selfish about using your lane (especially since it's yours to use by law in most of the US), and that those suggesting you use it for safety aren't acting selfishly or even irresponsibly (even when they were joking around).

I was just trying to paint that picture as a possible alternative to your perspective.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:00:48 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »
=Kiwi_Roy link=topic=90784.msg1433681#msg1433681 date=1497988441]
I get nervous if I have to sit behind a car at the lights, I like to leave an escape route in case I get hit from behind.

Just before I went to the States for my ride in 2010, I read about (and i think the report link was on this forum) a case where a dump truck driver, on approaching some lights  driver, reached down to the floor to grab something, and ran into a group of motorcyclists waiting for a green. Multiple deaths resulted.

Here it is   www.thehelper.net/threads/3-dead-after-garbage-truck-runs-over-group-of-motorcycles.133029/

very reassuring it was - not
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:34:48 PM by ozziguzzi »
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Honda MB5 (with a whoppa 100cc engine transplant)
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
I agree with kev m, if I understand him correct.  It's MY lane and I'll use it as I see fit.
No, not reckless or anything like that.  But I will be sure oncoming traffic sees me, and that means selecting lane position all the time and sometimes in rapid succession.

Group rides?  No, thanks (almost).  Like mentioned above, a select core of friends who ride together in the same style-sure.
With riders I don't know-not so much.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline gentlemanjim

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »
Weaving? That's just ridiculous  :thewife:

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »

Jeeze but that's about a goofy consideration. What the hell would I care if someone thought that they should be able to "overtake" within my lane? Unless I was going so slow that reasonable "lane-splitting" was understandable (in which case I would not be "weaving" anyhow).... I gladly thank EVERYONE on a motorcycle to stay the hell away from either side of me.

Leave the lane to "overtake" like anyone else is supposed to do.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 05:06:29 AM »
I believe he meant that partially in jest.

But I'd guess he also means that being a fast sporty rider he would normally pick up a pace to see if rider/driver still was trying to pass and he doubts many would still want to.

At least that's how I read it, which is obviously different from how you read it.

Seems pretty obvious I was jesting  :shocked:.....But Kev is more or less correct...However if another vehicle does start to pass I would not challenge them.....When there's traffic and in built up areas I ride with flow.....

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 05:40:19 AM »
Weaving?  There's plenty of reasons to move around in a lane to "present" your front profile to oncoming traffic.
However, we may be thinking of different motions when weaving is mentioned.

Ken Condon, Eric Trow, David Hough, and others all teach the technique.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline zokn

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:41 AM »
Weaving: I think that word is part of the problem here. I think of weaving as oscillation - a sort of repetitive, quick sine wave sort of thing that I see occasionally performed by riders impatient with the speed of traffic flow. It smacks of foolhardiness, showing off, or unnecessary display; it's a, "Hey, look at me!" smart-ass way to ride. It can frighten or upset other motorists, which I suppose keeps them clear of the motorcycle, but I do not think these riders have safety in mind.

I don't weave in the manner I describe above, but I certainly change position in my lane, when there is good reason to do so.

Moving from one side of a lane to the other and then back again is a well-proven method of increasing the likelihood that a motorcyclist will be recognized visibly as present by a potential danger, such as a motorist planning to enter the motorcyclist's lane, or cross that lane, at an intersection or driveway, or when an oncoming vehicle is planning a left turn. In these situations I will make myself as visible as possible and moving laterally in my lane is one of the best, ending in that side of the lane furthest from the potential danger to increase the reaction time I have, should I need it.

I also will change from one side of the lane to the other when road surfaces are so faulty as to warrant it. Unfortunately, the quality of the roads I most enjoy (back roads, minor routes, and rural connectors - all with lots of turns and little traffic) have poor surfaces and bike-swallowing potholes. When on these roads, I can be found all over the place. Here, I'd have to admit to a track that could be seen as weaving in a sometimes very tight frequency!

As for groups, I just do not like riding in a group and I avoid other bikes when I'm on the road, giving them lots of room in front - up to 10 seconds or more - catching up only at traffic signals. Often, I'll take a break, pull over, and give a large group a larger berth. Staggered riding, which I, too, was taught to do, I eschew, except in slow, urban traffic situations. On the open road, I believe it brings riders too close together and reduces the options a rider has to improve his or her individual visibility of and by other motorists and potential dangers, and for escape and collision avoidance.

I want control of my safety and enjoyment to the greatest extent I can manage. I can achieve this better when not part of a group. Even if I am riding with one or too others, I will operate as a separate entity, and treat our joint journey as if I was randomly among traffic with all its potential for danger from cars, bikes, trucks, pedestrians, animals, bicycles, and the physical environment. We will not be a group of bikes, but two or three separate vehicles that happen to be on the same stretch of road, one after the other, not attempting to be in formation.

So, this is my riding style. Experience shows me that there are many other styles out there and few riders I encounter ride as I do - and that's okay with me.

Enjoy your ride, everyone.
Stephen

Nova Scotia, Canada

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
1975 BMW R90/6 (sold)

Previously: several BSAs, Lambretta 150 with a Bambino sidecar, 1978 Honda 550, 1985 BMW K100RT, 1996 Ducati Multistrada

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:25 AM »
 My weaving comment is getting taken out of context  :grin: I should have said "wandering" slightly to increase visibility...it's so much a part of my riding ,I find it tiring to ride side by side because of the concentration need to ride in a straight line. If a car/truck is following to close  for comfort, a brief more noticeable weave make them fall back...

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »
A slight weave will present different parts of the headlight reflector to an observer, almost like a flashing. If the wave form is too great that effect will be diminished. If someone is weaving to a great extent, they will soon be behind me or I'll stop for a rest.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
I've seen various articles on bike safety discuss a slight weave. It's specifically recommended by some safety courses to be used at time when approaching oncoming traffic/cross traffic if you are in any way unsure they can/will see you. It's a relatively subtle move designed to add some eye catching motion to the normal view of the closing headlight. It may actually make the vehicle appear larger/closer slightly. I don't believe it's taught as a constant or large motion.

I don't do it automatically, and I've just really started to consciously play with it in situations where there was too much going on - say someone ahead to the right looking to shoot a gap across my lane of travel waiting for someone also straight ahead looking to make a left in front of him and myself, someone approaching that left turner from behind who might go around him on his right - meaning lots of things for most of the drivers to pay attention to besides me.

At that point I might turn my bright on and leave it on until I'm passed them and/or do a slight side-to-side weave for a second to catch their attention then hold a straight line, covering the brake, maybe rolling off the throttle a tad, etc.

Related articles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/top-5-tips-to-improve-rider-visibility-on-street

2. MOVE WITHIN YOUR LANE. Even if you are in plain sight, don’t assume drivers see you. People see what they expect to see and a motorcycle may not register in their consciousness, even if they are looking at you. Another reason drivers can look at you but not “see” you is because of “motion-induced blindness” where stationary objects disappear when surrounded by a moving background, such as busy traffic. Realize that you appear stationary if you approach a driver straight on. Even if drivers do see you they may not be able to accurately judge closing speed and approach distance because of your bikes relatively narrow frontal area.

One trick is to move across your lane as you approach drivers at intersections to visually “present” the broader side area of your bike. For a more dramatic display, weave back and forth in your lane to “sweep” your headlight across drivers’ field of view. You don’t need to go crazy; swerving a few feet left and right a couple of times should do the trick. And weave only if it’s safe to do so.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:14:49 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
NBC Dateline did a special on Asset forfeiture on Interstate 10 in Louisiana.

When the NBC  car got pulled over (doing the limit, straight and calm), the officer claimed "Lane Mismanagement".

There is no such a thing.  They showed the officer the video of their windshield and speedo, and were let go.  Many weren't.

Just another perspective on 'weaving or moving' within your own lane.  You may not own stripe to stripe in cases like this.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here