Author Topic: Mexico... anybody up for a trip?  (Read 8920 times)

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
Mexico... anybody up for a trip?
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
Update: That was quick... I have a number of contacts now that I shall follow up. Thanks for all the interest.     
I live in New Mexico and I have a very soft spot for Mexico. I intend to take a trip in the spring down through Chihuahua to start. Would anyone care to join me? I have a number of old loopframes that I am restoring and would love to provide a bike to a partner for the trip. Fly in (to Albuquerque), hop on the bikes and take off. I speak Spanish reasonably well, and so I can get us along. I have had a truck restoration business in Mexico, have dealt with the Policia and Aduana there many times, and feel that I know my way. Been there by car, motorcycle and sailboat. Open to all adventurers and even those from Oz. I guess this is mostly a way to make new friends in the riding community. Anybody interested in going? Let's start up a conversation/    Lee Davis, Belen, New Mexico
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:26:57 AM by Lee Davis »
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
Re: Mexico... anybody up for a trip?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »
We travel in Mexico quite a bit. If you are going to get permits for the motorcycles then you have to be the owner. A person can only legally get a permit for one vehicle at a time.

I have temporarily purchased a vehicle from a friend to make the trip, get it licensed and insured, the trade it back afterward.

Of course, if you are not leaving the free zone or just decide not to get the permits then none of this matters.

Offline shaka

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:06:56 PM »
If planning a visit to Chihuahua, consider that the US State Dept. has issued a travel advisory for the state of Chihuahua and its major cities. It recommends limiting travel to daylight hours throughout the state, and lists specific advisories for each city.  www.travel.state.go v
1998 V11 EV
Long Ago:
Norton Fastback
R50/2
R60/5

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »
I am aware of all that. Been there done that, etc. I would transfer title to the partner beforehand. Reminds me of the "mordida" that one needs to pay sometimes in Mexico... a bribe to keep things going.  $20 will smooth over everything. But, if you follow the standard rules, even Mordida is not necessary. I am an old Mexico hand, I hope. Y Me gusta las mujeres, tamnien! Lupita es especial...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
 What ... are all of those funny looking little dogs attacking people again ?

Dusty

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
Jeez! I will bet that none of you have been to Mexico! “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries”    -Aldous Huxley.   Give me a break! If we are all to believe the line from the government, we would all be lost. Mexico is wonderful, and safe for gringos.

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I am aware of all that. Been there done that, etc. I would transfer title to the partner beforehand. Reminds me of the "mordida" that one needs to pay sometimes in Mexico... a bribe to keep things going.  $20 will smooth over everything. But, if you follow the standard rules, even Mordida is not necessary. I am an old Mexico hand, I hope. Y Me gusta las mujeres, tamnien! Lupita es especial...

Good deal. We end up getting a lot of people who find themselves in trouble for failure to follow the rules.

As far as Mexico and safety, I've been riding through Chihuahua, Sonora, and Baja for a number of years. There are always State department warnings but I've never been, or felt, threatened. Use common sense and in all likelihood you will be fine.

Offline shaka

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »
Albuquerque, New Mexico was my home for many years. I've been to Old Mexico many times , climbed Orizaba, lived on the beach with an expatriate. But I won't set foot there anymore.
1998 V11 EV
Long Ago:
Norton Fastback
R50/2
R60/5

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »
 Uh , Lee , who said anything like that ?

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »
 <sigh> Fellas , can we not start bashing our neighbors to the South . Bad stuff happens everywhere
Thanks

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
right on Dusty..
 I can't go Lee.. let my passport lapse and my company won't pay for a new one so out of principle I'm not renewing it..
 for now I'm self restricting myself to the lower 48 since I don't fly anymore either..
if you'd foot the bill for a Hawaii trip I'll gladly jump on a plane again..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
My wife and/or I have ridden in Mexico the last 8 years consecutively. On road over 20k miles/ off road a few thousand an we/I have had zero problems, been treated with courtesy and respect. I try to speak the language and give courtesy and respect. If you don't want to go/don't have the "huevos" to go then fine but why rain on someone else's parade. Have a good day.

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
 A few years ago at a gas stop in a small Missouri town an old fella struck up a conversation with me, asking where I was headed . "Oh , just thru ... and then onto ... then ending up in ..." He gave me a stern warning about not stopping in the next little town 15 miles down the road , because"those people down there will steal your stuff" . His buddy asked "how long has it been since you've been there?" "oh about 25 years" was the guys reply  :laugh: Funny thing , the next little town is somewhere I visit frequently , in fact we were just there a few weeks ago .

Dusty

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 10:46:22 PM »
Wow, what an incredible offer for a once in a lifetime chance!  :bow:
Me and a pal rode around Chihuahua for 3 days almost exactly 25 years ago.
There was to be 3 of us, but our 3rd pal bowed out from going in as his wife
gave him "the talk".
So the two of us entered into this strange land
AND HAD THE MOST INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!
The little Sportster ran great, food was delicious, rooms small but beautiful.
The kids playing baseball and diggin' the motorcycles.. and the people were enchanting.
I fell in love TWICE. I kid you not.

Somebody take this saint up on this offer.

And the guy that didn't go in? He died of lung cancer a few years later (still in his 30's).
I wish he had rode with us. He was my best friend.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 12:24:34 AM »
That's an incredibly generous offer! I can't go, but if I could I'd take you up on it. Riding a loop down to Mexico? You bet! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 02:27:08 AM »
Some blokes would complain if their arse was eating ice cream Lee.
A brilliant offer in any language.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 02:40:18 AM »
My wife and/or I have ridden in Mexico the last 8 years consecutively. On road over 20k miles/ off road a few thousand an we/I have had zero problems, been treated with courtesy and respect. I try to speak the language and give courtesy and respect. If you don't want to go/don't have the "huevos" to go then fine but why rain on someone else's parade. Have a good day.
Perfect Sev.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 03:52:49 AM »
I know folks here in E. Texas that won't go to Oklahoma as "those folks get WILD on 3.2 beer."
Don't go east as those cajuns talk funny and no tellin what they put in gumbo.
Don't head south as that salty gulf air messes up their mind.
Don't go west as it is a million miles between towns and there are no trees.

So they stay here in there own world! Not for me.

Tex

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 07:19:58 AM »
Wow!  What an generous offer, Lee!  If I wasn't so busy at work... one day I'll regret not dropping work and just go do something!

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 07:20:14 AM »

Guys, if you don't want to go, why not just say so ?
Do you have to insult the guy by making up a BS excuse ? And as for having your passport being paid for ,what exactly is the "principle" that you're standing on, that makes you not want to get one yourself ?

the principle is that the company want me to be ready to go anywhere but don't provide the tools/equipment anymore. they paid for it last time, sent me to Yugoslavia.. and paid for my ticket aboard the Concord to get home (London to NYC 1,354mph) .
Nice offer Lee but I don't want to go, just sayin.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:21:43 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
If you ..... don't have the "huevos" to go then fine .....

Ah, the ultimate "encouragement"!   If you don't want to do what I do, it must be because you're not a real man ....

I've used that myself, but it usually leads to doing something dumb ...  :shocked:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »
I live in New Mexico and I have a very soft spot for Mexico. I intend to take a trip in the spring down through Chihuahua to start. Would anyone care to join me? I have a number of old loopframes that I am restoring and would love to provide a bike to a partner for the trip. Fly in (to Albuquerque), hop on the bikes and take off. I speak Spanish reasonably well, and so I can get us along. I have had a truck restoration business in Mexico, have dealt with the Policia and Aduana there many times, and feel that I know my way. Been there by car, motorcycle and sailboat. Open to all adventurers and even those from Oz. I guess this is mostly a way to make new friends in the riding community. Anybody interested in going? Let's start up a conversation/    Lee Davis, Belen, New Mexico

Very cool offer.   :thumb:

Hope you find a compadre for the trip.

I've seen many ride reports over the years on ADVrider.  Going with someone who'd "been there, done that", would be the way to go!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »
I could definitely make this adventure work. Feel free to PM me Lee.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »
Ok for socks and underwear? We could have a wip 'round...
Guys, if you don't want to go, why not just say so ?
Do you have to insult the guy by making up a BS excuse ? And as for having your passport being paid for ,what exactly is the "principle" that you're standing on, that makes you not want to get one yourself ?
Would you be ok to get yourself to the airport fotoguzzi ? It's a big expense for something crappy, like a funded bike trip...

WTH are you going on about Peter ? Foto is an experienced traveler , he was simply making a statement .

Dusty

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
LEE!!

Lets do this!  I will send you a PM!!

I have only been to Mexico once, but I speak passable spanish (been all over Central America & Spain & the caribbean) and love adventure! I'm an experienced camper and cycle tourist!

I have dreamed of motorcycling down there, but my poor mechanical skills to deal with break-downs have been a sticking point!

I have never ridden a loop, but I own a barn find Ambo that's in line for a restoration... I can't think of a better way to familiarize myself with the bike than to ride one of your loops...  And you might end up with some resto business to boot!  I'll drive down with my Ambo, we'll go ride, and I'll leave the bike with you afterwards! :-)  Once the Ambo is finished I'll come back for a fly-n-ride to get it home!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
I wasn't going to comment but I don't see any bashing.

That said I've read more and more reports of cartel related problems, tainted alcohol, rapes/assaults, robbery, and bribes in recent years that suggest the risks are real.

We've got an acquaintance who experienced it first hand.

That doesn't mean our neighbors to the south aren't by and large wonderful people with a lot to offer.

We are regular visitors to Playa Del Carmen and are planning a trip this October.  PDC has a large contingent of Expats living there and I've been reading one of their local websites to try and find out what is going on in the tourist areas.   

It seems the former corrupt Governor of Quintana Roo had a good (and profitable) working relationship with Los Zeta and his replacement not so much.  As a result Lety is trying to come into the area and has created a little "situation."  The violence seems to occur when they encounter each other or to send messages to the shop/bar/restaurant owners and the politicos.  It's the last two  that are so troubling because the biggest threat to the shop owners and politicos is violence in the tourist zones and that's what they've been doing lately.   Two days ago someone was shot on Calle 5th and that's the main tourist drag in Playa.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »
We are regular visitors to Playa Del Carmen and are planning a trip this October.  PDC has a large contingent of Expats living there and I've been reading one of their local websites to try and find out what is going on in the tourist areas.   

It seems the former corrupt Governor of Quintana Roo had a good (and profitable) working relationship with Los Zeta and his replacement not so much.  As a result Lety is trying to come into the area and has created a little "situation."  The violence seems to occur when they encounter each other or to send messages to the shop/bar/restaurant owners and the politicos.  It's the last two  that are so troubling because the biggest threat to the shop owners and politicos is violence in the tourist zones and that's what they've been doing lately.   Two days ago someone was shot on Calle 5th and that's the main tourist drag in Playa.

The many reports I read fall into four categories:

1. Danger of a lot of basically home-brewed alcohols containing things like methanol:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2017/07/26/u-s-state-department-issues-travel-warning-tainted-alcohol-mexico-resorts-after-tourists-blackouts/513563001/

2015 report from Mexico’s Tax Administration Service found that 43% of all the alcohol consumed in the nation is illegal, produced under unregulated circumstances resulting in potentially dangerous concoctions.

The national health authority in Mexico has seized more than 1.4 million gallons of adulterated alcohol since 2010 — not just from small local establishments, but from hotels and other entertainment areas, according to a 2017 report by the country's Federal Commission for Protection against Health Risks.

The bootleg liquor could be infused with grain alcohol or dangerous concentrations of methanol, cheaper alternatives to producing ethanol, government reports warn.

2. Related to blackouts from tainted alcohol, robbery, assault, sexual assault/rape:

Numerous others told the Journal Sentinel of similar experiences, with several couples reporting blacking out at the same time. A woman from Neenah reported being sexually assaulted, while her husband woke with a broken hand.

3. Medical Care/Costs - a lack of sometimes even the most basic supplies as local hospitals or clinics and large fees that must be paid up front before any care is rendered.

4. Corruption/bribery - anything from police arresting tourists who attempt to report a crime (see earlier links) to having to pay anything from small bribes to large ones for travel. The worst being someone who was being medivaced by helicopter to the US for emergent surgery, tripling the cost of the flight (by thousands of dollars) and being forced to land multiple times to pay additional bribes.

I'm not saying to anyone not to go, I'm saying to go with eyes open and don't discount the recent reports as nothing.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 09:56:18 AM »
Sounds like Eastern Kentucky on a Saturday night .... !

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »

Cue Lannis - seems like the whole point of a discussion board is to examine different areas of a topic, no?

:rolleyes:

I've thought that myself, sometimes.   

But you'd better get down off the soapbox before you get bumped off by the permanent occupant ... !

Be all that as it may, I have no current jones for going to Mexico, but if I did, going with someone who "knew the ropes", knew when to say "Si, jefe" and when to keep your mouth shut, and was providing a Guzzi to ride ...

... well, that would be the way to do it!    Dangers there are, but if there's someone along who knows where the mines are buried, it's about as good as you'll get.

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:09:42 AM by Lannis »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 11:10:30 AM »
the principle is that the company want me to be ready to go anywhere but don't provide the tools/equipment anymore. they paid for it last time, sent me to Yugoslavia.. and paid for my ticket aboard the Concord to get home (London to NYC 1,354mph) .
Nice offer Lee but I don't want to go, just sayin.
It really is a great offer foto isn't it.
When you think of how much some guys would love to do something like that, I can't understand why he's not flooded with acceptances. Seems too good to be true, but there you are.
My only thing was foto, isn't the cost of a visa a measly price for such a thing, although I see that you don't want to anyway so that is fair enough if that's what it is.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here