Author Topic: Mexico... anybody up for a trip?  (Read 8918 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Mexico... anybody up for a trip?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 11:14:53 AM »
WTH are you going on about Peter ? Foto is an experienced traveler , he was simply making a statement .

Dusty
So was I Dusty, but was a bit too spicy.
Anyway suffice to say that Lee has got a great passion for sharing the enjoyment and certainly no one here would disagree with that for sure.
Hats off to you big Guy...Spirit of adventures if ever there was. :bow:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
It really is a great offer foto isn't it.
When you think of how much some guys would love to do something like that, I can't understand why he's not flooded with acceptances.

Sounds from his OP update that that's just what happened!

Me, I love to ride motorcycles, love to travel, love to see new things, and last time I checked I still have a full complement of huevos.   And what a deal - a bike, a guide, everything!   

However, Mexico is extremely low on my list of places I'd like to see before I shuffle off this mortal coil.    If I had 200 more years to travel, it STILL wouldn't make it to the list.   

Called "diversity of opinion".   Hard to understand for some, but there you are.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »
Lee - great offer. And I recall you offering local rides recently too. I am going to keep it mind for next time I get close to your area. Last time I was in Belen, NM I brought home a 40-pound sack of green chiles. I love Mexico. Used to go there with my family all the time, but my wife got scared of it and we have three daughters. I've made a few motorcycle trips into Baja California, but never the main part of Mexico. Maybe a visit one day for a tour around the local roads. And I've got more than one bike here in San Diego - so "reciprocal privileges" are available.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
Update: That was quick... I have a number of contacts now that I shall follow up. Thanks for all the interest.     
I live in New Mexico and I have a very soft spot for Mexico. I intend to take a trip in the spring down through Chihuahua to start. Would anyone care to join me? I have a number of old loopframes that I am restoring and would love to provide a bike to a partner for the trip. Fly in (to Albuquerque), hop on the bikes and take off. I speak Spanish reasonably well, and so I can get us along. I have had a truck restoration business in Mexico, have dealt with the Policia and Aduana there many times, and feel that I know my way. Been there by car, motorcycle and sailboat. Open to all adventurers and even those from Oz. I guess this is mostly a way to make new friends in the riding community. Anybody interested in going? Let's start up a conversation/    Lee Davis, Belen, New Mexico

Lee, how long of a trip were you contemplating?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »
Talk to Dusty about it. I wouldn't have chimed in if he hadn't started with the bashing comment.

And even when I did it was gonna be one and done. But if he won't let it go (see post above this) why should I?
I did.

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »
Hey Lannis, pretty selective with your quote eh. Don't want to go fine. Have a good day

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »
Hey Lannis, pretty selective with your quote eh. Don't want to go fine. Have a good day

That's what quotes are for, so you don't have to copy the whole thing.   Having a good day, thanks!  You too ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
Anyway, I'm being told that people are pissed off about this line of discussion, so I'm out. I just wanted to throw up the warning flag and it's been beaten to death.

If others are pissed off I can appreciate that. I thought long and hard if I should have posted what I did.
  I apologize for my own responsibility in dragging this thread down.
As for the OP's offer, I believe anybody who is willing to offer a free Guzzi for a fly in and ride trip is a true Guzzi HERO.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »
it's that time again,

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
Hey, maybe this will lighten up everyone's mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iW2_Ec3uEU

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »
wow Lee,  how long would the trip be so far as time and distance? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
it's that time again,

I think I get it but I'm not sure..

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
Update: That was quick... I have a number of contacts now that I shall follow up. Thanks for all the interest.     
I live in New Mexico and I have a very soft spot for Mexico. I intend to take a trip in the spring down through Chihuahua to start. Would anyone care to join me? I have a number of old loopframes that I am restoring and would love to provide a bike to a partner for the trip. Fly in (to Albuquerque), hop on the bikes and take off. I speak Spanish reasonably well, and so I can get us along. I have had a truck restoration business in Mexico, have dealt with the Policia and Aduana there many times, and feel that I know my way. Been there by car, motorcycle and sailboat. Open to all adventurers and even those from Oz. I guess this is mostly a way to make new friends in the riding community. Anybody interested in going? Let's start up a conversation/    Lee Davis, Belen, New Mexico

Lee, I am interested. Sending a PM.
Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2017, 01:15:38 AM »
Lee, I've been in Mexico three times on my 2013 V7 Stone and loved it, keep me in the loop for planning and maybe I can meet up before the border crossing on in Mexico itself.  It's a bit of a slog from California to New Mexico but could be fun to ride with others.  I don't speak any Spanish at all (well basic stuff like Lo Siento, No entiendo etc.) but got along great and had lots of fun. 

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »
Sounds like an interesting trip. I hope y'all have a great and safe time. I doubt I'll ever make it but riding in Mexico (Baja) has been on my bucket list for a long time.
North Carolina

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
(cue flashback music and wavery image special effect)

I discovered hitchhiking when I was fourteen, and the summer I was seventeen I asked my pals if anybody wanted to take a trip someplace. Didn't matter where, just wanted to thumb for a while.

A guy I barely knew from high school said he had the address of a girl he knew up in NorCal. He was eighteen. I had no ID but I got a note from my mom saying I could travel with him.

We took two weeks to run north and back - had a great time but never did find that girl. We did get swept up in a fracas and had to talk to the cops late one night. They debated the validity of my note, and then decided that no self respecting seventeen year old would carry a note from his mom if he had any other choice.

I'm still good friends with the guy still.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:24:39 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »
Such a nice offer Lee, I bet you all will have a blast. 

I'm curious and can't help but ask, what is an Erotic Farmer?  I googled it and really, really wished I hadn't.  Sorry if I missed an earlier discussion on the topic.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
I'm going for a hike on the AT with my three dogs. Everyone is welcome!

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
Sarah... While at the Antique Airplane flyin in Iowa in the early 80s I was reading "The Arms of Krupp" by William Manchester, about the German Steel manufacturer,  and carried it around to where I would sit in the shade of a hanger to read. I suspect that everyone thought I was carrying a bible, for the book had a jet black hardcover. A friend walked up and asked 'what are you reading?', to which I answered "The Erotic Farmer" without even thinking. I think that was the best laugh I ever have gotten from something I have said. I like that phrase...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:37:27 AM by Lee Davis »
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 06:05:16 AM »
Thanks Lee, whew!  And best wishes as you begin to plan that trip!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline bbolesaz

• New Egg
  • New Scura owner
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
Lee, long time Mexico rider here.  I'm very up for a trip to Barrancas del Cobre (again) or some of the colonial cities.  The road to Batopillias is now paved. My long time Mexico riding buddy passed last year and I can't find anyone else game. I will PM my email address so we can keep in touch.  BTW, my wife usually goes along, so I will have to take the BMW. The Guzzi is a V11 Sport Scura, not the best for 2 up touring in Mexico.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here