Author Topic: Janus Motorcycles merged threadfest .  (Read 17697 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Janus Motorcycles
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 10:32:46 PM »
Isn't Ridley out of business ?

Dusty

Far as I know Ridley went tits  up in about `08.  Maybe they are still in business making these motorized bicycles?  :undecided:

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:11 AM »
"I'm waiting for somebody with experience to highlight the merits of the German Schempp-Hirth Janus sailplane..."

Oh yes! We had a Janus CM in our club! I loved idling through Northern Germany in this thing with a friend. It flew as agile as a railway waggon, was fast and - flown well - capable. Not the sportiest plane, but somehow I got addicted to that thing.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 06:18:53 AM »
So who has lookd at the Benelli Imperiale 400?

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »
????

The term lead sled comes to mind actually thats what it was referred too as and you didn't need to put it into a spin to get weirdness out of the all flying tail plane, descending whilst thermalling for no apparent reason? Your tail plane has probably stalled and the rear seat has paid off a few chiropractors Merc's in their time, not their finest work and if you've come from a diet of Polish built trainers and cross country machines kinda boring (for those who haven't had anything to do with sailplanes the Polish really really like their aerobatics even on the most basic trainers).

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
Count me as another person who doesn't get the J-Anus bikes.  It's a $6k+ kit bike with a Chinese clone engine.  I also think the top frame rail is way too high.  It looks like the frame was initially designed for a taller cylinder. 

The Suzuki TU250 is an incredible little bike for $2k less and outperforms the J-Anus in every way.  The Van Van has a great vintage vibe while being reliable and modern.  There's a rumor the Kawasaki W250 might appear in the US(I hope Bob/Ohiorider doesn't read this because he might go into palpatations :bike-037:).     

There are plenty of CB200's, Jawa's and other used bikes out there to scratch the small displacement, vintage itch.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
Before there was an English language, Janus was the Roman god of beginnings. He had two faces which looked toward the future and the past...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
Count me as another person who doesn't get the J-Anus bikes.  It's a $6k+ kit bike with a Chinese clone engine.  I also think the top frame rail is way too high.  It looks like the frame was initially designed for a taller cylinder. 

The Suzuki TU250 is an incredible little bike for $2k less and outperforms the J-Anus in every way.  The Van Van has a great vintage vibe while being reliable and modern.  There's a rumor the Kawasaki W250 might appear in the US(I hope Bob/Ohiorider doesn't read this because he might go into palpatations :bike-037:).     

There are plenty of CB200's, Jawa's and other used bikes out there to scratch the small displacement, vintage itch.
W200?  Gotta check this out.

John, are you sure about a W200?  EDIT I misread ..... you typed 250 I read 200.

Here's a little Kaw that has been around in Asia and several European countries since 1992.  Nice looking thumper.  It's the Estrella 250.  This web site has some nice pics of these bikes over the past 20+ years.

http://www.bj250.de/html/i-modelle.html

Bob
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:12:24 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
So who has lookd at the Benelli Imperiale 400?

I did, after you mentioned it.   :thumb: Unlikely that I'll see one 'round these parts though ... no Benelli dealers here.    :sad:

Be interesting to see what it sells for, as it looks like a direct RE 350 competitor.   :huh:   They had a video but I couldn't tell much because the spokesman didn't speak understandable English.  :blank:   Maybe we're not the "Target Market", though ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
W200?  Gotta check this out.

John, are you sure about a W200?  EDIT I misread ..... you typed 250 I read 200.

Here's a little Kaw that has been around in Asia and several European countries since 1992.  Nice looking thumper.  It's the Estrella 250.  This web site has some nice pics of these bikes over the past 20+ years.

http://www.bj250.de/html/i-modelle.html

Bob

The W250 is an updated and renamed Estrella.  I've read rumors Kawasaki is considering selling it outside the Asian market but nothing concrete.  I absolutely love the TU250 but the ergos don't work for me longer than an hour.  I nearly bought a VanVan this summer but that doesn't really work for me either.  I can make a TW200 work after a modded seat, risers and bars but TW's don't have the same 70's style that I love about the TU and VanVan.  If the W250 fit I'd seriously consider one.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
Found info on the W250.  Won't meet Euro4 so probably won't be available in Europe or here in the USA, but Kaw plans to expand their Asian market, and the little W will show up there.  John, appears it IS an upgraded Estrella.  Here's a pic.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:29:30 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 02:57:08 PM »
I like it! One of my sons and I were looking into them a couple for years ago. I definitely could see riding a Halcyon 250 around town:

2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
It's cute and a bit interesting, but I can't imagine that anyone with $7000 burning a hole in his pocket hasn't got better motorcycle itches to scratch than that one!

Lannis

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
It's cute and a bit interesting, but I can't imagine that anyone with $7000 burning a hole in his pocket hasn't got better motorcycle itches to scratch than that one!
That about sums it up. There are a bunch of other new starter bikes that can be for much less.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
The term lead sled comes to mind actually thats what it was referred too as and you didn't need to put it into a spin to get weirdness out of the all flying tail plane, descending whilst thermalling for no apparent reason? Your tail plane has probably stalled and the rear seat has paid off a few chiropractors Merc's in their time, not their finest work and if you've come from a diet of Polish built trainers and cross country machines kinda boring (for those who haven't had anything to do with sailplanes the Polish really really like their aerobatics even on the most basic trainers).
yeah mate, if your tailplane had "stalled", the natural tendency to pitch nose down would prevail and airspeed would be restored, remember the tailplane exerts DOWNWARD force and a reduction in control authority will result in the a/c resuming it's trimmed condition.
Best to talk to that Kirby bloke, his opinion will carry more weight on this forum than mine.
The most likely cause that you'd be descending in a thermal for "no apparent reason" will be that you have incorrectly set the flap, or more likely flying with slip or skid and that will render your variometer useless.
Probably a good time to talk to someone about aerodynamics.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
If I ever got one :rolleyes: the rear suspension would be an absolute upgrade!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 06:35:15 AM »

The same could be said of Moto Guzzi according to every Moto Journalist Shootout I have read. 

If I lived in a sprawling suburban area where most of the roads were 35 MPH or slower I could see having one.  For me there is the aspect of appreciating the look of the bike even more than the function. 

From a function standpoint my FZ07 is so much more bike than my V7 cafe classic,  but the classic has the cool factor.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:55 AM »
I think twowheeladdict has it. The bike isn't about being a motorcycle in the context we, enthusiasts, think of bike.
It is about being a head turning bit of furniture art. It is the look not the function that is prime.
As for price, again we enthusiasts see $7K as outrageous for a motorcycle of that simple design and low function. Colleagues of mine own bicycles that cost as much. Caveat emptor.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
these are based on a Chinese crate motor. A knockoff of a pushrod Honda never imported into this country. Originally a 125, punched out to 230cc now. The reason Honda built it? 3rd world owners did no maintenance and the OHC motors were fragging. There a number of 230cc dirt bikes available based on this motor. The cheapest is about $1400 (https://www.killermotorsports.com/rps-hawk-250cc-dirt-bike.html). I had one of the $2000 CSC versions (TT250). You get what you pay for... Maybe. That bike at $7K would need to have the worlds best running gear. The motors are stone reliable however.

"They continued to use oil even after it had turned into goo," Inagaki said, "and the paper filter elements in the air cleaners would become solid as a dirt wall from all the dust. The drive chains would be stretched out to their maximum adjustable lengths, and were worn and torn from hitting the chain case. The examples of such abuse went on and on. One after another, we saw spectacles we'd never even imagined possible from our home base in Japan."

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1975cg125/index.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:53:51 PM by mtiberio »
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »
I think twowheeladdict has it. The bike isn't about being a motorcycle in the context we, enthusiasts, think of bike.
It is about being a head turning bit of furniture art. It is the look not the function that is prime.
As for price, again we enthusiasts see $7K as outrageous for a motorcycle of that simple design and low function. Colleagues of mine own bicycles that cost as much. Caveat emptor.

The bicycle analogy doesn't work very well.   Seven thousand dollar bicycles generally cost that much because they are lighter, get more power to the road, and more functional than a cheaper bicycle.   

They generally don't cost more than "common or garden" $2000 bicycles because they are heavier, less functional, and harder to ride.

Not to say that there might not be posers in the bicycle world that would buy a fancy bike that they aren't capable of exploiting, but that would be like a wobbly newbie motorcyclist buying a Ducati superbike-class semi-racer.   

In the bicycle world, this thing would be a big old Schwinn copy that weighed 50 pounds ....

Lannis

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
Lannis,  I agree with the Schwinn copy functionality. But it is the form that this bike is sold upon. Probably to beard waxing hipsters.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
Lannis,  I agree with the Schwinn copy functionality. But it is the form that this bike is sold upon. Probably to beard waxing hipsters.

Hey, more power to 'em all.   The makers for selling something someone wants to buy, and in the meantime employing people in useful work, and to the hipsters for sending them their hard-earned cash for something that they enjoy showing around, whether it's in the living room or on the street!

Lannis

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Has anyone ridden one: Janus
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »
We talked about these assembled in USA bikes a while back.  I’m just curious if anyone has ridden one?  Looks like they start at 7k.   Just my opinion, but they seem like a question few would ask.
Www.janusmotorcycle s.com
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Has anyone ridden one: Janus
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2019, 06:28:56 PM »
We talked about these assembled in USA bikes a while back.  I’m just curious if anyone has ridden one?  Looks like they start at 7k.   Just my opinion, but they seem like a question few would ask.
Www.janusmotorcycle s.com

Never rode a JANUS...but my neighbor, "Triumph-Bill" has one of these!!  MotoPed!

50cc stock, but his has a 90cc upgrade kit on it.  It goes pretty good around "Da Hood!!"

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:38:29 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »
I haven't ridden one, Chad.. but I think they are.. uh.. cute. Not 7 large cute, though. A used one cruised through the ads in the local paper for 5K but I wasn't interested at 5 either. Not when you can buy a Royal Enfield for that kind of money, and they're a *real* motorcycle.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2019, 06:05:55 AM »
My friend is thinking about one for a city bike. Also chasing a Brough so that gives context.

If you like it it is a nice thing.

britman

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2019, 06:48:53 AM »
My Son-in-Law ordered one and yes I have ridden it.  The good points would have to be the styling, one of the best vintage looking machines out there.  Where ever it is parked it draws a crowd.  It is a perfect "go get ice cream and run to the hardware store bike".  The final cosmetics is decided by the buyer down to the size and color of the paint stripe size and color.  My only complaint would be the number of cc's, the engine though allegedly bullet proof is too small in my opinion.   

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2019, 10:22:12 AM »
Funny how people are different. For me, styling is a not a good point about them. I think they look awkward, tall and odd.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »
My other neighbor, Bruce, aka "Mr. Green-Planet", just bought one of these...the electric all-terrain bicycle.... for HALF the money ($1500) of a MotoPed and certainly much cheaper than a $7K JANUS!! :thumb: :cool: :wink: :smiley:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:27:40 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2019, 11:23:25 AM »
The Janus appears to be an excellent motorcycle.
It uses a lot of in house produced tin and domestic components.
 The engine of course is a Sino version of a Honda, but no engine I can see has had as much development or real life testing as this one.
It was originally a Honda CB125 engine and proved itself in the herculean motorcycle performance work we see in asia where they transport everything from a family of 5 to a waterbuffalo on a daily basis an then get handed down for generations of more toil.
 Then the Honda engineers improved it and made it more reliable for later CB125s.
Then China decide to remanufacture it, increased size to 229cc, improving the design again and adding a balancing shaft.
This gave  birth to the RATO CG250 which is what appears to be on the Januses (Jani?)

It is no heavyweight or even middle weight touring bike, but a 250 will get you down the freeway at 70 for short runs if you get a good run at it.
There are 500cc water cooled twins waiting in the wings with good reliability.
 If they could find a good twin engine around 500cc it might turn into a US assembled Enfield Eater, but then, you might as well get a KTM if you are going to that much trouble.

John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
I like them.  Good on Janus for trying something different.  Handmade in essence, and if anyone is looking at "performance" they best look elsewhere.  Looks like a blast for a nice Sunday ride with no place to go and all day to get there.  An expensive day to be sure, but in this world not EVERYTHING need be value.  We heard for one rider who absolutely loves his and thinks it was a barging for the smiles per mile.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here