Author Topic: $30,000 Flying Fortress!  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: $30,000 Flying Fortress!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
I'm sorry but that bike has no visual appeal to me what so ever. At any $$$$
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 02:07:45 AM »

Screen looks way too short.  I would need a taller one.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 05:36:58 AM »
Here’s someone else hitting the crack pipe...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113384428911

At least it's the right color.

What's the current exchange rate, is that part of this price? What DO these things sell for in the EU?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 05:36:58 AM »

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 06:46:08 AM »

What's the current exchange rate, is that part of this price? What DO these things sell for in the EU?

I EU they sell 1/3 the asking price in good original condition . This one is very nice but asking price won't even sell a V7 sport for .
I doubt that bike was a ex police bike ..... but in holland they have good weed .

here a few examples of " asking price " that does not mean they will sell for.....
https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/6024799

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7377668

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7354350

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/6807639

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7126926

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7379713

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7355062
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:10:21 AM by arveno »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
That's why I can't figure out the world of Hot Rods.  I must admit to being a little prejudiced against them, since I hate to see a neat old car chopped up and used as the basis for an almost unusable custom, but that aside ....

I'll see people take a '32 Ford V8, or a '47 Hudson, or a '51 Mercury, and literally put $100,000 into it turning it into what looks to me like a carbon copy of a thousand other Hot Rods ... chopped, channelled, slammed, frenched, 350 crate engine, Nova front end, tons of chrome, metalflake paint etc etc and that's fine if that's what makes them happy.

But then they go to sell it, and the big selling point is "$100,000 of receipts for work done fully documented".

Why would someone pay that kind of money for someone ELSE'S dream?   Can anyone here explain it using their own experience?   

Lannis

A big ditto to that.  I agree with Lannis who hit the nail on the head about many things, bikes and cars.

I have seen many great machines that were ruined in my eyes by someone's personal choice to change the paint job, add crap or, god forgive, take a cutting torch and welder to it.

Though I hate to see it, a person has a right to "make it theirs" with their own customizing desires.  However, when the time comes to sell the machine to someone else, they should not expect the prospective buyer to share the same dreams and desires.

Oh, to be sure, I have made mods to most of the motorcycles that I've owned but I normally try to keep them appearing stock and at least retain any stock items I may remove from the bike to allow restoring it to stock form later.

I see this a lot with H-D's.  The H-D I am currently selling is getting a lot of attention - precisely because I have kept it very near to original stock form.

Over the years people have been drawn to my two-into-one exhaust and have asked where I got that.  They want one for their bike. It is simply the same exhaust system that came on the bike from the factory 40 years ago!  Yet, in the day, common practice was to remove that 2 into 1 factory exhaust, header and all, throw it away! and replace it with a pair of straight drag pipes.  I literally would go to my local dealer and take those 2:1 pipes out of their garbage dumpster or metal recycling pile.

On another front, I have an XKE Jaguar and more than one  car show I've attended will have someone proudly showing a "Jagrolet" of some sort- a formerly stock Jaguar with a Chevrolet 350 engine installed.  "Oh, it runs so much better."   LOL

Ditto for the Hot Rods or Street Rod cars as Lannis said.  A friend of mine restores classic cars but shoehorns huge aftermarket crate engines into them, changes the paint to custom colors, rips out the stock interiors and replaces with the latest fad etc etc.  Those things do not appeal to me.  I'd rathet have a stock 60's Chevy Nova with two-tone turquoise/white paint and a straight-6 motor than a cut-up street rod version with a blown big block motor.  Just me.

I do have some sort of admiration for the owner of the bike in the Original Post here.  He went whole-hog and truly made that FF Guzzi a unique machine.  The factory and accessory companies need more people like that!

Oh well, I need to shut up.  Each to their own but that applies to the buyers as well as the sellers.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:17:03 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 07:27:34 AM »

Frankly speaking...it's cool looking...just not $30K COOL!!! :huh: :shocked: :rolleyes: :cool: :thumb:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
Really...time to break out..."The Crack Pipe!!" 

But the real philosophical question would be:   You win $30,000 in the LOTTERY...and what ONE motorcycle would you buy?!? :shocked: :huh: :wink: :cool: :thumb: 

Here is what around $30K will buy you at MECUM in Vegas (2018) :huh: :shocked: :rolleyes: :wink:

I'll take the Zundapp

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
Really...time to break out..."The Crack Pipe!!" 

But the real philosophical question would be:   You win $30,000 in the LOTTERY...and what ONE motorcycle would you buy?!? :shocked: :huh: :wink: :cool: :thumb: 

Here is what around $30K will buy you at MECUM in Vegas (2018) :huh: :shocked: :rolleyes: :wink:

Amazing that 71 HD Super Glide got $33k. I had a 72 and it had to be the worst bike HD ever made. My 62 Duo Glide was a better bike that the Super Glide. Imagine a Sportster front end with drum brakes on a otherwise "74" undressed Harley. I have complained about that bike before on this forum and to think it would sell for as much or more than a 72 Ducati 750 GT (which I also owned) is amazing.
My mother used to say "it takes all kinds" (of people). 
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »

15,831 Euro
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
Amazing that 71 HD Super Glide got $33k. I had a 72 and it had to be the worst bike HD ever made. My 62 Duo Glide was a better bike that the Super Glide. Imagine a Sportster front end with drum brakes on a otherwise "74" undressed Harley. I have complained about that bike before on this forum and to think it would sell for as much or more than a 72 Ducati 750 GT (which I also owned) is amazing.
My mother used to say "it takes all kinds" (of people).

First year, and with the boattail rear-end treatment.   Like a 64-1/2 Mustang or a sand-cast K0 CB-750, they aren't as good riders as the later bikes, but because it's a first year collectors item (and STOCK, which is extremely rare for a SuperGlide) people will pay big money to get an example of "the first one".

The buyer won't care about the brakes, the flimsy front end, the terrible handling, the vibration making everything crack off, because he's not buying it to ride it, he's buying it to collect it.   That bike won't get 20 road miles in the next 20 years .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
First year, and with the boattail rear-end treatment.   Like a 64-1/2 Mustang or a sand-cast K0 CB-750, they aren't as good riders as the later bikes, but because it's a first year collectors item (and STOCK, which is extremely rare for a SuperGlide) people will pay big money to get an example of "the first one".

The buyer won't care about the brakes, the flimsy front end, the terrible handling, the vibration making everything crack off, because he's not buying it to ride it, he's buying it to collect it.   That bike won't get 20 road miles in the next 20 years .....

Lannis

Strange, it was not until last year that I even knew there was a boattail rear fender on the 71/72 Super Glide model. I never saw one until I saw one online and said what the heck it that!
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »
I EU they sell 1/3 the asking price in good original condition . This one is very nice but asking price won't even sell a V7 sport for .
I doubt that bike was a ex police bike ..... but in holland they have good weed .

here a few examples of " asking price " that does not mean they will sell for.....
https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/6024799

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7377668

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7354350

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/6807639

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7126926

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7379713

https://www.moto.it/moto-epoca/moto-guzzi/7355062

THANKS!

AND thanks Red, I was too distracted to look up the current exchange rate!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 05:07:46 PM »
Strange, it was not until last year that I even knew there was a boattail rear fender on the 71/72 Super Glide model. I never saw one until I saw one online and said what the heck it that!

Ugleeee ain't it.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »
Ugleeee ain't it.   :grin:

Hey, watch out there buddy, that's HERESY you're talking ...

This wonderful design for Sportsters and SuperGlides ...

is the brainchild of The One, The Only, The Head of Styling at HD at the time, your hero and mine, Willie G. Davidson.   It CAN'T be ugleeeeeeeee (oops, too many eees.  Or not)

Lannis
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:38:26 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »
Another Willie G. classic - the 1977-78 XLCR. 

A friend of mine has one, and I once rode it  once years ago from Mesa, AZ to Tortilla Flat and back...and almost died!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

* Fabulous design / lines
* Horrible brakes
* Terrible ride
* Bad shocks
* Marginal motor / performance
* But vintage / classic HD fans LOVE them!!!  In this condition, they will bring $10K-$15K all day long these days... :huh: :shocked: :rolleyes: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:29:15 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »
 I'll take the Square four , brilliant motorbike .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2018, 09:45:02 PM »
Another Willie G. classic - the 1977-78 XLCR. 

A friend of mine has one, and I once rode it  once years ago from Mesa, AZ to Tortilla Flat and back...and almost died!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

* Fabulous design / lines
* Horrible brakes
* Terrible ride
* Bad shocks
* Marginal motor / performance
* But vintage / classic HD fans LOVE them!!!  In this condition, they will bring $10K-$15K all day long these days... :huh: :shocked: :rolleyes: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

That bike was a big inspiration for me. When I was a kid, my neighbor had a XLCR. He was a "hippie" biker dude. (my parents hated him) he told me the only bike that ever out ran his CR was a Guzzi LeMans.......I had to have a LeMans.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »
That bike was a big inspiration for me. When I was a kid, my neighbor had a XLCR. He was a "hippie" biker dude. (my parents hated him) he told me the only bike that ever out ran his CR was a Guzzi LeMans.......I had to have a LeMans.

So if he had ever raced a GS 750 Suzuki you would be riding one of those now ?  :grin:

Dusty

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 06:50:36 AM »
I'll take the Square four , brilliant motorbike .

Dusty

It is an elegant motorbike... :cool: :thumb: :smiley:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here