Author Topic: Did you get to ride with your Dad ?  (Read 8442 times)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Did you get to ride with your Dad ?
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
I did, more to follow soon.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2019, 09:39:48 PM »
Sorry for your loss Huzo.

Lucky to have taken many a trip with my dad. I remember him strapping me on with his belt so I didn’t fall off sleeping. Also seeing Mnt Rushmore at 35 mph, he hit my knee and pointed up to his right. Yelled “you see it” and took off.  My dad passed 18 years ago when I was 29. This is the only pic I have on my phone. No idea why we look so gloomy. Ha ha.

host image

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2019, 04:50:40 AM »
Sorry for your loss Huzo.

Lucky to have taken many a trip with my dad. I remember him strapping me on with his belt so I didn’t fall off sleeping. Also seeing Mnt Rushmore at 35 mph, he hit my knee and pointed up to his right. Yelled “you see it” and took off.  My dad passed 18 years ago when I was 29. This is the only pic I have on my phone. No idea why we look so gloomy. Ha ha.

host image

:thumb:

Online Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »
My Dad rode bikes in his youth but had stopped before I started on them. He did take a couple of my bikes out for a spin in my early biking days - it was only fair as he'd paid for them!

As an ex-racer (Manx Norton 500 back in the '50s) he always fancied a go on the 916 but felt he was too old and rusty so never did.
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
Yes I did! :thumb: Somewhere there is a pic of me on the tank, in front of my Dad on a Honda 305. He was at that time a Cycle Policeman. Honda had come to Charles Long, who then owned all of Long Lewis Ford, to try to get him to deal Honda’s. My Mom was Mr Longs secretary, so he got her to get my Dad to ride it around for a week and he would decide. Dad thought it was nice, but not a Harley. He rode it down to the local Harley dealer TD Howton, and Mr Howton told him it was a cute sewing machine. Dad reported that to Mr Long, who passed on the opportunity. TD Howton, contacted Honda, got the first Honda dealership around, and made millions.
My dad rode all of my life and had the 3 boys on dirt bikes at 7. My last ride was with him on his 1200 S&S Sportster and I was on my K1200 gt Bimmer. He shredded his drive belt, showing me the engines power. My brother came in a pickup and we carried the bike home to repair. After he passed a few months later, I took the Sportster out and finished the planned ride. Cried most of the way.

pic share
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
Yes I did! :thumb: Somewhere there is a pic of me on the tank, in front of my Dad on a Honda 305. He was at that time a Cycle Policeman. Honda had come to Charles Long, who then owned all of Long Lewis Ford, to try to get him to deal Honda’s. My Mom was Mr Longs secretary, so he got her to get my Dad to ride it around for a week and he would decide. Dad thought it was nice, but not a Harley. He rode it down to the local Harley dealer TD Howton, and Mr Howton told him it was a cute sewing machine. Dad reported that to Mr Long, who passed on the opportunity. TD Howton, contacted Honda, got the first Honda dealership around, and made millions.
My dad rode all of my life and had the 3 boys on dirt bikes at 7. My last ride was with him on his 1200 S&S Sportster and I was on my K1200 gt Bimmer. He shredded his drive belt, showing me the engines power. My brother came in a pickup and we carried the bike home to repair. After he passed a few months later, I took the Sportster out and finished the planned ride. Cried most of the way.

pic share

Now that's a cool picture of your Dad that I can appreciate!!! If you have any more of him on his cop bike please post them. It's close to my heart.

Online guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »
My condolences mate.
It's bloody hard losing a parent eh.
I lost my Mum 2 and a bit years ago.
Your post has brought a few memories ( good ones ) back to me.
When I was 18 back in NZ, Mum had a job in a clothing factory about 3 or 4 kays away from home.
A bit far for her to walk so she'd hitch a ride with me on my Honda XL 250S in the mornings on my way to work in the Square in Christchurch.
The first ( in fact about every bloody time now I think about it ) time was hilarious !
Being a dirt bike the seat wasn't very big and Mum took up about 80% of it!Which didn't leave a lot for me to say the least.
I could just control the bike but when she  put her arms round me to hang on she'd just about squeeze the damn air outa my lungs!
We'd then proceed to wobble off down Bowhill rd at a heady 50kays an hour just to be on the safe ( ???) side.
Very interesting in winter I might add!
I'd then repeat this on the way home!
Thank god it wasn't far!
I'd love to know what her mates at work thought about it.
God I can see her now in that helmet that was about 3 x sizes too big!
It still hurts losing her mate but time does help eh!
As for Dad, he never did ride but his mates and a brother in law did when they were young.
I left home at 20 like most Kiwi's and did the overseas trip and was gone for about 5 years.I never sold the bike but left it in the shed.
In the meantime I got word that dad ( intrigued by my love of bikes ) taught himself how to ride ( like me ) and used to ride my Honda round the neighborhood!!
Ha ha I thought it was a son's job to pinch the ole mans bike and sneak out on it!
I still have that photo and love it to buggery an back eh.
Many years later after we'd all ended up over here in Oz I took dad out on the back of my GSXR 1100 a few times.
His comments were Holy shit that's quick and he couldn't get used to how quick it would rev.
Comparing it to his mates ole Trumpets Nortons & Beezas ha ha.
Anyways we still have and cherish him.
He's about to turn 82 and doing pretty well.
Actually my wife and I are about to take him on a road trip with us in the next fortnight so it'll be fantastic to reminisce about our family holidays to the west coast ( of the south island nz )  back in the 60's and 70's!
We'll be doing it in a bit more comfort than the family 1952 Morris Oxford could muster though!!
Ahhh mate the memories!
Once again ole mate very sorry for your loss.
Cheers Guzzler

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
Thanks, it's been 10 years and a lot of miles since. My son, had he ever come to this forum, would say "Yes" as well. This taken after his first run thru Deals Gap.

73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2019, 10:49:12 PM »
It's nice riding on the West Coast there Guzzler.  The Rahu Saddle between Reefton and Springs Junction is one of my favourites.  The road from Karamea through to the Haast ain't too shabby either. :thumb:

One of these days I will get to ride through the Haast on a fine day instead of in the middle of a weather bomb!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2019, 04:06:06 PM »
It's nice riding on the West Coast there Guzzler.  The Rahu Saddle between Reefton and Springs Junction is one of my favourites.  The road from Karamea through to the Haast ain't too shabby either. :thumb:

One of these days I will get to ride through the Haast on a fine day instead of in the middle of a weather bomb!
You're not wrong about the coast there Muzz !
Always loved it over there even as a kid .
Always felt like it was the land that time had forgotten, at least it did in the 60's and 70's.
I managed to get a few bike trips in before I left for the bright lights of the world though.
My best mates are over here in Perth whilst I'm in Victoria but the three of us keep harping on about reprising our CHCH Queenstown Haast & Arthurs pass CHCH trip.
The Haast was still dirt back then but our two XL 250's and a TS125 handled it all pretty well.
Love to do it again on something like a DR650 with the boy's.
Hmmm maybe one of these days.
Cheers Guzzler.
Ps thoughts are with you all as I'm sure Kiwi's the world over unite

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »
Always felt like it was the land that time had forgotten, at least it did in the 60's and 70's.
I managed to get a few bike trips in before I left for the bright lights of the world though.
My best mates are over here in Perth whilst I'm in Victoria but the three of us keep harping on about reprising our CHCH Queenstown Haast & Arthurs pass CHCH trip.
The Haast was still dirt back then but our two XL 250's and a TS125 handled it all pretty well.
Cheers Guzzler.
Sincere thanks Guzz

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »
My dad was a mean ol mafia guy. I was lucky if he let me ride in the car with him.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
My dad was a mean ol mafia guy. I was lucky if he let me ride in the car with him.
Did he sound like Al Pacino ?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2019, 03:46:35 PM »

And the Aussies too, we've been mates too long.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:48:40 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2019, 06:07:19 PM »
Cheers Guzzler.

Thanks Guzzler.  Still numb and a bit hard to believe.

I find the Breva an ideal bike for the Coast, not too big, not too small.  The Suzuki SV650 probably another one of ideal size.  You have to watch for the tourists, sometimes on the wrong side of the road and definitely hugging the centre line.  Very rarely will they pull over to let faster traffic through also.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »
My step dad had an Ariel Square four that he sold when he married my mom. My biological father and brother were both killed 3 months before I was born, he loved my mom so much he tried to keep me off. One day when he was 72 my stepfather took off on my Harley. My heart was in my throat, he brought it back unharmed. Looked at me and smiled and said " I still got it". 2 years later he died, wished to hell I had just given him my bike and bought another. He always sacrificed for us...

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here