Author Topic: 2020 Triumph Rocket III Spy photos  (Read 6141 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
2020 Triumph Rocket III Spy photos
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:31:56 AM »
...and you thought the Victory Vision was a BEAST!!! :huh: :shocked: :rolleyes: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: 2020 Triumph Rocket III Spy photos
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
Having ridden both, and owned a R3 (approx. 14,000 miles) I cal say the Vision was, to me, the best of the big Vics by a long shot, and it was a beast.
However, the R3 was a BEAST with a dyno's 148 torque at the rear wheel.  Now THAT right there is some BIG fun.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:41:22 AM »
I like it a lot  :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:50:52 AM »
Having ridden both, and owned a R3 (approx. 14,000 miles) I cal say the Vision was, to me, the best of the big Vics by a long shot, and it was a beast.
However, the R3 was a BEAST with a dyno's 148 torque at the rear wheel.  Now THAT right there is some BIG fun.

Yes, indeed!!!..."Hell Hath No Fury"... like a 2300cc, 140+HP inline Rocket III!!! :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

three wishes movie ending
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:53:54 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:50:52 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:12:28 AM »
I've ridden both the Vision and the R3.

meh.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
I've never heard a Rocket described that way.  Interesting.
What did you find "meh"?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:50:30 AM by kingoffleece »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »
somebody has to meh, it's WG procedure
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 10:45:07 AM »
somebody has to meh, it's WG procedure

:grin: Meh  :rolleyes:

Having ridden two R3'S , ohmygawdwholeyschmi dticanseecreationan dthebigbangallhappe ningatoncethismustb ewhatitfeelsliketos itatopasaturnbooste rfeelslike would be accurate.

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
I've never heard a Rocket described that way.  Interesting.
What did you find "meh"?

It's a big torquey bike.  Actually, better balanced and lighter feeling than it looks.  But in the end just a big bike. 

It was worth a half hour to ride but I really wouldn't want to own one.

I'll admit that the new one looks much better.  There are lots of fast bike out there, many faster and most are better all around bikes.  I suppose I was comparing it to my Suzuki Bandit and was told the Rocket was faster than a 'busa or something.  It just didn't ring my bells.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:55:29 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
Wait till you see one with one of these kits on it.

https://www.tts-performance.co.uk/single-post/2016/10/25/Triumph-Rocket-3
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
Had an 05, what a tree stump pulling beast!
Handled better than it should have but a lot to paddle around the garage.
And oh my thigh skin has grown back since the roasting, thanks for asking.  :tongue:

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
based on those photos it'll take some work to make a touring version
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
It's a big torquey bike.  Actually, better balanced and lighter feeling than it looks.  But in the end just a big bike. 

It was worth a half hour to ride but I really wouldn't want to own one.

I'll admit that the new one looks much better.  There are lots of fast bike out there, many faster and most are better all around bikes.  I suppose I was comparing it to my Suzuki Bandit and was told the Rocket was faster than a 'busa or something.  It just didn't ring my bells.

Many different bikes for many different purposes.  I fit on the rocket much better than I fit on a ZX10R.  I would rather slice a curvy mountain road on the ZX10R, but I would have to stop every 20 minutes for a break and put it on a trailer to come home.  The Rocket would get me to the mountains but I would have to ride the mountains at less than "go to jail" speeds.

All motorcycles have trade-offs. 

If I lived in Oklahoma and other mostly flat and straight road states I would prefer the Rocket type bike because the weight also keeps one from having to constantly react to the cross wind gusts.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
At least the name survives from the late 1960s.

Here's the story from back then from triple viewpoints:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_Rocket_3/Triumph_Trident

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/rm-rider-exchange/bsa-rocket-3-history-review/

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-british-motorcycles/1971-bsa-rocket-3

Lift a brew  :boozing:  to those who paved the way but stumbled...

1969: Here's me on my real Rocket-3 (BSA) and its oh-so-rare Vetter Phantom III fairing:

'Geezer

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »
Many different bikes for many different purposes.  I fit on the rocket much better than I fit on a ZX10R.  I would rather slice a curvy mountain road on the ZX10R, but I would have to stop every 20 minutes for a break and put it on a trailer to come home.  The Rocket would get me to the mountains but I would have to ride the mountains at less than "go to jail" speeds.

All motorcycles have trade-offs. 

If I lived in Oklahoma and other mostly flat and straight road states I would prefer the Rocket type bike because the weight also keeps one from having to constantly react to the cross wind gusts.

well, I guess there's one guy in Oklahoma that doesn't think so.
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
well, I guess there's one guy in Oklahoma that doesn't think so.

Well , that guy lives in the part of Oklahoma where the roads aren't flat and straight  :laugh:

The R3 isn't a great back road tool , long and relatively heavy , but it is solid and predictable , has good brakes , and that motor will cover a multitude of shortcomings .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with an R3, I just didn't think it was all that exciting or practical....

You want excitement? Ride a 1200 Suzuki Bandit in Okla crosswind.  Not the excitement that I really enjoy but it IS exciting.   :shocked:
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »
Nothing wrong with an R3, I just didn't think it was all that exciting or practical....

You want excitement? Ride a 1200 Suzuki Bandit in Okla crosswind.  Not the excitement that I really enjoy but it IS exciting.   :shocked:

Yeah , or a 1984 R100 RT BMW that weighs 550 LBS wet and has enough fairing for two bikes  :shocked:

Dusty

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 02:36:22 PM »
I think your impression of the Rocket III has a lot to do with what you are used to. Coming off an 1800 Goldwing. The R3 is lighter, more nimble, and way torquier. Kind of like waving the fungo bat before stepping up to the plate with your ash toothpick.  I'll bet the new one would be even more fun.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:41:25 PM by PeteS »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
I think your impression of the Rocket III has a lot to do with what you are used to. Coming off an 1800 Goldwing. The R3 is lighter, more nimble, and way torquier. Kind of like waving the fungo bat before stepping up to the plate with your ash toothpick.  I'll bet the new one would be even more fun.

Pete

yeah ....but the Wing is a full-on tourer whereas the R3 is something else.  Hard to say what that something is.

the new one looks bitchin'
John L 

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:43 PM »
The old "there's always a better bike" discussion.  Better for who, or what?  And who is qualified to say what's "better"?  Your touring bike is better for a cross country than another guy's V7 who loves it for just that?

As for handling, tell that to the guys bombing Tracy Road in The Adirondack Mountains, trained track guys, who couldn't shake a guy on a R3.  All day.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »
The old "there's always a better bike" discussion.  Better for who, or what?  And who is qualified to say what's "better"?  Your touring bike is better for a cross country than another guy's V7 who loves it for just that?

As for handling, tell that to the guys bombing Tracy Road in The Adirondack Mountains, trained track guys, who couldn't shake a guy on a R3.  All day.

Are you now talking about the Yamaha R3?  That bike is amazing in the tight stuff!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 07:08:43 AM »
 I'm very afraid of 800 pound bikes....I once did something stupid and fell over on my 900 Monster at 3 mph...No real damage to the bike but there was damage to my pride and I quickly picked up the 430 pound bike and tried to be cool.....If a 800 pound bike falls over in a parking lot, I doubt I could pick it up and would suffer the embarrassment of of being a stupid old skinny guy needing help to pick up his bike....But, I like living in a country where you can buy any vehicle you like.....

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
There is a feeling about jamming a torquey 150 lb-ft and 750 lb of motorcycle,

that feeling is inertia.   :thumb:
John L 

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »
Wicked.  I had the chance to ride a friend's R3 roadster in the hills around Chattanooga, TN.  It felt pretty nimble for such a hefty machine, not to mention the monster torque on hand.  He'd ride that thing like it was a MotoGP bike.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

britman

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 03:02:22 PM »
I have owned and ridden a Rocket 3 for almost 14 years.  Bought it brand new in 2005.  Probably my favorite bike of all time.  Like most MG riders there is somewhat of a special niche and almost, I hate to use the term, cult following among the owners. 

I have been hearing about the release and seeing the leaked photos of the new machine for awhile now.  To me, it looks like a "Duc" Diavel.  My Son-in-law owned one of those for awhile, sold it before the first major tune was due, I am pretty sure would have required a second mortgage on his home.  I am going to hold my final opinion until seeing one up close and personal, but the old original 05 "Fat Bottom Girl" is staying put until the big dirt nap comes..........

Oh, one final note, yes I did run a car tire on the rear for a couple of years, that is almost mandatory......
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:04:13 PM by britman »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
I have owned and ridden a Rocket 3 for almost 14 years.  Bought it brand new in 2005.  Probably my favorite bike of all time.  Like most MG riders there is somewhat of a special niche and almost, I hate to use the term, cult following among the owners. 

I have been hearing about the release and seeing the leaked photos of the new machine for awhile now.  To me, it looks like a "Duc" Diavel.  My Son-in-law owned one of those for awhile, sold it before the first major tune was due, I am pretty sure would have required a second mortgage on his home.  I am going to hold my final opinion until seeing one up close and personal, but the old original 05 "Fat Bottom Girl" is staying put until the big dirt nap comes..........

Oh, one final note, yes I did run a car tire on the rear for a couple of years, that is almost mandatory......

Gotta love the voice of reason and experience over the nay sayers who seem to find it their purpose to find a fault in something they care nothing about. I never road a T3 but a lot of my friends who rode Honda Valkyries (the real 1500 ones) also had a T3. They mostly loved them.  Sure they're big, bulky and heavy. So what. A friend who rides a Victory Vegas recently sat on my Victory CCT and said 'wow, that's a lot of bike to get off the side stand'. Me, I don't even notice the weight as it's just something one must do to get it going down the road. The extra weight of the CCT over the Vegas isn't an issue for me what so over. Thankfully many manufacturers make bikes in small, medium and large to varying degrees. It's great to have options and choices.

If the thought about not being able to pick it up would stop me from buying one, I'd simply be thankful Honda still makes the Grom and be be done with it.

Would I buy the new Rocket? No, not as shown because as much as I love riding motorcycles, I love having my wife with me on the bike even more. Who knows, maybe they'll come out with a touring version. Then I'd certainly have to give it a good test run.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:29:34 PM by TN Mark »

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 05:56:07 PM »
To misquote a great philosopher, Sir Humphrey Applebee, "The Rocket 3 is important like the opera, the ballet, the National Theatre and the universities...both of them. Because its THERE".
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
Looks like a big heavy pig-rocket, but what do I know.  I’m in the “lighter is now better” camp. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:04:32 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 06:07:24 PM »
All of this because I rode both bikes and said "Meh".

As if my opinion was worth anything.  Two test rides and this.   :grin:
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here