Author Topic: For Motogeezer  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
For Motogeezer
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
Ever the one to talk about myself and in response to Motogeezer's request for an expose' on the intricacies of Norge high mounted exhausts, I'll give a brief rundown of the process I took.
Most guys here have been through this to some degree on my very early posts (Wire wheel Norge) in 2016, so if you don't want to know the result, look away.....NOW !

Ok for those still tuned in.

The pipe is a result of my desire to not have a bloody great lump of stove flue laying in front of my (then) lovely cast wheels, and I wanted something as a bit of a tip of the hat to the MGS 01, without looking like I tried to copy.
For those who think I copied the high pipe look of those on certain high profile Grisoes and the like, my answer is that I didn't know what a Griso was when I did mine in '07.
So...
I decided that a Staintune can was the way I wanted to go. They were produced in Mittagong NSW, not too far from my place, so I contacted them and asked to have a can made for my Norge.
The standard Staintune one is 500 mm long, but for the first time in my life I thought I'd like a shorter one..!
My request was for a 400 mm unit and I was initially refused, but a family dose of sad puppy eyes, resulted in the boss saying he'd do me a one off, but would not have the branding, "ok" I thought and readily agreed.
The can arrived 2 weeks later with the factory clamp and a bloody great Staintune stamp on it..! Bonus... :thumb:
Now to the blood and guts..

I wanted a look a bit like the VFR 800 Honda and mounted the muffler in the position that you see it and started work on the link pipe to join it to the standard collector under the engine.
I made several plywood "S" shape patterns with various incarnations of curves and straights and wedged them one by one on the bike in twilight with back lighting so the 2D nature of the pattern would not be obvious and settled on the final one that made the cut.
The lower bend is 100 mm radius and the top bend is 90 mm radius, both bends are 100 degrees if memory serves. If you make both bends 90 degrees and equal radius, it looks like something from a Monty Python opening credits image and is rather disgusting IMO.
I then used the dimensions of the pattern and when entered into a mandrel bender, had the whole she bang done in stainless, 4130 I think but not sure of that, getting it out of the bender was a thorough bastard, but got there.
The pipe has a sleeved join hidden behind the rear footrest plate, but it's harder to pick than a broken nose.
Almost invisible.
Ummmm...
That's it..! (Glad you asked ?)
A couple of photo's for the home builder.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:52:11 AM by Huzo »

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
Re: For Motogeezer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 10:44:04 PM »
Huzo,

That Staintune is damn beautiful !! I would love to hear it in person.

Did you have to make any changes to to your fuel map?

Did you keep the stock lower Y-Pipe?
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:32:19 AM »
Huzo,

That Staintune is damn beautiful !! I would love to hear it in person.

Did you have to make any changes to to your fuel map?

Did you keep the stock lower Y-Pipe?
The Staintune itself is not any more special than anyone else's mate, but that's not to say it isn't nice.
Sounds nice with a mellow boom.
Pete Roper told me it would perform better with the dB killer in which I did, but took it out because it didn't sound like my bike.
The bike was not re mapped for the Staintune, but was a fuel guzzling bastard from the get go.
It has a Beetle map (latest iteration), installed and tuned by Roper and returned 3.9 l/100 km on a 400 k ride yesterday.
At 100 kph on a good day you will see 500 km to a tank.
100-120 ""................... ................... .480 ""        ""     .
Yes the y pipe is stock..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:56:42 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 12:09:51 PM »
Just noticed Moto..
The can looks round in section in the above shots, it's actually oval.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 12:09:51 PM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here