Author Topic: Motorcycle Brake Caliper Horror  (Read 632 times)

Offline MikeW

• New Egg
    • Mike's Machines
Motorcycle Brake Caliper Horror
« on: December 11, 2021, 03:47:40 PM »
My local shop showed me the rear brake caliper off a Honda Blackbird the other day and I just had to share it.

I've never seen a caliper this far gone before. It's actually melted from the heat. I was told that the owner rode the bike for around 15km before noticing anything. The caliper is a 3 piston single sided sliding type.  From what I can gather the caliper was cocked over and the inside edge of the outside pad was locked onto the disc. Because of this it didn't generate enough force to stop the bike but it generated enough heat to melt the caliper.

I never did care for this type of caliper  :grin:

Mike's Machines on You Tube
Motorcycle News & Reviews
Motorcycle Service Videos

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motorcycle Brake Caliper Horror
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 03:50:17 PM »
That'll buff right out.   :grin:
1990 MilleGT

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Motorcycle Brake Caliper Horror
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »
One of my bigfoot GS riding buds inadvertantly had been applying rear brake pressure to a point where the brake rotor was glowing red.  The only reason I saw it was because we were just past dusk, it looked like a red neon light.  Anyway, pads & rotor miraculously survived.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here